Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 17:57   #151
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Maybe when they release the new facelift in India, they could do well to put in interior quality like in this video.

venkateshkm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 15:20   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been contemplating an automatic for city driving & recently picked up a 1 year old, still in warranty, used fiesta petrol automatic. Got it at a price that is cheaper than automatic hatchbacks and with all the bells & whistles it has in features/safety etc, made me go for it rather than other choices in the used car market.

Have driven just 300 kms since buying it and must say that driving in crazy bangalore traffic was never so peaceful. The automatic takes away a lot of stress from the driving. Will be putting up a detailed ownership & review soon. I think automatic is the way to go for our crowded city traffic and more and more manufacturers will be forced to come up with options in automatic once the demand picks up.

I just wish that ford had put in a tip-tronic/paddle shifters in it and that would have been the icing on the cake.
khan_sultan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 13:30   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

After driving some 1000 KMs here is a short update:

Things which I like:
  • Awesome handling & ride that is slightly on the firmer side
  • Leather seats which hug you & provide solid under thigh support
  • Able to get perfect driving position with combination of seat adjustment, steering tilt
  • Steering feel makes it a pleasure to drive. Has nice weighty feel at all speeds
  • NVH refinement is top class & many people who have driven in the car have mentioned that
  • Features, convenience, features & then more features keep you happy (for example auto hill hold is such a boon while stopping on angular parking exits)
  • OK gearbox for most normal city/highway scenarios.

Things which I didn't like:
  • BIGGEST GRIPE: Doors do NOT auto-lock from inside when driving and you have to remember to manually lock them from a button on dash. (not sure if this can be activated at dealer level or if it is possible at all)
  • The A/C blower is really LOUD. Haven't seen as loud blower as this -- not even in my earlier fiat palio
  • Visibility through the rear is poor. The reverse sensor is some saving grace.
  • L mode on gearbox is useless in most conditions & should have been renamed as redline mode. It just revs to redline in each gear
  • Rear brakes should have been disk instead of drum. That would have made the whole ride/safety package 10-on-10
  • Steering could have had reach adjustment also in addition to the existing rake adjustment
  • Rear seats area of the car is like the 'beggars edition' of BMW. Nothing there for rear passengers.

Ever since I have got the fiesta, have almost stopped taking out the Prado for driving. Few times I took the Prado out, ended up stalling it (didn't remember to press clutch pedal ).

Oh yes, I get ~ 9 kmpl in city traffic (bomanahalli to EC, hosur road traffic in mornings /evenings) and ~11 when driving in city/ring road during off-peak hours
khan_sultan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:49   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
After driving some 1000 KMs here is a short update:

Things which I like:
Have to agree with every single point you have listed.

Quote:
Doors do NOT auto-lock from inside when driving and you have to remember to manually lock them from a button on dash. (not sure if this can be activated at dealer level or if it is possible at all)
The auto-lock feature you seek can be activated by a DIY. None of the dealers in my city know about this, so, I am assuming none shall be aware in yours as well. However, it is not recommended since:
1. The auto-lock happens not after a set speed (as is the way in the figo), but on pressing the brake pedal.
2. I have tried it on my car, and I reverted back quickly to the original settings. Reason: there has been an isolated incident reported elsewhere in the world, that the doors didn't auto-unlock after an accident IF this feature is activated. Further, there was a clarification issued by ford that the auto-lock feature was not made available in their models (which included this fiesta) since the company had received a lot of complaints wherein the doors didn't auto-unlock in situations they were expected to.

There were 2 big Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)'s issued by ford w.r.t. this model:
1. The one related to the gearbox. Not done voluntarily by ford, but is done only if the customer complains of jerking and grinding noise. I just got it done on my car. Haven't updated my thread yet.
2. The second is related to the Traction Control (TC). The TC in this car is barbaric really (doesn't allow to spin the wheels at all).. Although, it is irrelevant for most parts of India, still, if you really wish to trouble yourself and the dealer, then go ahead and find out the TSB. Post the update, it will allow the wheels to spin a little before the TC cuts in. I haven't made the efforts to find out the TSB yet, so if you are keen and plan to do it, please do let me know.

You are actually lucky to get 9 kmpl in the city. I get 8 or less

Also, there is a 'secret' compartment in the car for hiding small stuff. It is just below the lock/hazard switches. Try and pry open the cover, to reveal the compartment I think I have posted a pic in ACM's ford thread in the indian car dealership section.

Quote:
L mode on gearbox is useless in most conditions & should have been renamed as redline mode. It just revs to redline in each gear
Umm.. I guess it has more relevance where I live. It is really helpful in slopes, and when I want absolute control of the car while slowing down from high triple digit speeds. It really helps with the engine braking in these scenarios.

Enjoy the car and happy motoring.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th January 2014 at 16:35. Reason: Expanding on short forms for the benefit of some confused readers :)
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:08   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
....The auto-lock feature you seek can be activated by a DIY. None of the dealers in my city know about this, so, I am assuming none shall be aware in yours as well. However, it is not recommended
In that case, will give it a miss and slowly learn to remember locking the doors from that button.

Quote:
There were 2 big TSB's issued by ford w.r.t. this model:
1. The one related to the gearbox. Not done voluntarily by ford, but is done only if the customer complains of jerking and grinding noise. I just got it done on my car. Haven't updated my thread yet.
Yeah, have heard of this one. Will go and check with dealer & get it done but am not sure of how to determine if you need it. Meanwhile would love to hear from you on your update on this one. What were the symptoms, how you identified that you needed this TSB and what you feel now.

There is one more about steering one in India. Did you get that one also done?

Quote:
The second is related to the TC.
Interesting one there. Will let it give a pass for now.

Quote:
Also, there is a 'secret' compartment in the car for hiding small stuff. It is just below the lock/hazard switches.
Yeah, have seen that and must say that it's really a secret one.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 16:57   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, have heard of this one. Will go and check with dealer & get it done but am not sure of how to determine if you need it. Meanwhile would love to hear from you on your update on this one. What were the symptoms, how you identified that you needed this TSB and what you feel now.
In my case, the problem was getting more noticed. The car is primarily used only in peak hour bombay traffic, and in these scenarios, since there is a lot of strain on the GB:
1. The gearbox seems to be designed to upshift from D1 to D2 immediately, and in peak hour bombay traffic, when I know that I don't need D2, this is what happens:
- I accelerate behind the car
- the car shifts from D1 to D2 just as I brake to come to a halt behind the car
- I press the accelerate again, giving very less time for the box to downshift from D2 to D1 (which it is very reluctant to do in the first place)
- Jerk..Jerk...Jerk.

2. Plus, if one were to drive with a light foot (as is the case with my mother), there was a distinct grinding noise coming when the car was shifting from D3 to D4.

I didn't take much action until the day my mother complained of this (she is least interested in cars, and generally ignores these kind of things). I knew that the dealer was unaware of this TSB, and since I didn't want to break my head arguing with them, I wrote a mail to ford requesting for the TSB to be done at the same dealer (with the appropriate links, which proved that the TSB is indeed in existence, and I am not bluffing). I received a call from chennai, wherein I was put on a conference with the service head of the A.S.S., and a appointment was fixed for the TSB. I gave the car to them at the appointed date, and I received the car the next day.

Post the update (I guess it has been more than a month now), there was no perceptible difference for the first 150-200 kms. I thought that ford may have pulled my leg. However, after ~200 kms, the issue seems to have reduced a lot. The GB now tends to hold D1 longer than usual, and the jerks, although present, have reduced substantially. The grinding noise still comes, but is now a lot less frequent than before. Am not saying that the problem is solved, but it has reduced a lot.

Quote:
There is one more about steering one in India. Did you get that one also done?
Am aware of this one, but fortunately/unfortunately, this issue is not present on my car. There was noise which I thought was steering noise, but it turned out to be a loose tie-rod. The steering rack is only replaced if certain requirements are fulfilled (I am not aware what they are though).

My car has it's own unique problem. My left side windshield beading just peels out on it's own, and has been replaced under warranty twice now. Further, one of headlamps was getting fogged up every now and then, and also has been replaced twice under warranty.

Recently, when I dropped it for the 5k kms oil change (which is done by me voluntarily since the engine oil used at the A.S.S. is of poor quality), I inspected the entire underbody very very acutely. There were some reports wherein there was pre-mature rusting observed by few owners. Some areas were of particular concern such as:
- muffler (one of the owner had it replaced under warranty at the A.S.S. in front of me. Apart from this, there have been few reports here and there speculating that some batches are affected. I haven't really verified)
- Rear suspension parts and area surrounding (can be anything, but it is always the rear suspension only).

My car has rust (which at the moment doesn't seem to be serious though), but not at the muffler; rather on the pipes which lead to the muffler and one particular part in the engine bay (I don't know what that part is, and neither did the mechanic and S.A. attending the car). I don't think that the pipes leading to the muffler are made of cast iron (or are they? I would be grateful if you can confirm this with someone knowledgeable). The other part in the engine bay, I couldn't really make out given that it was little hard to reach for a proper examination.

I will wait for the next monsoon to pass, before looking up again (I think I am just being anal here )

If you want to join in the anality, then you can also look out for other parts which are rust-prone and are being replaced by ford w/o much issues:
- the chrome strips which run around the car. A lot of cars are being reported with minute rust formation on these strips, which were promptly replaced (mine also had one replacement: the strip which runs on the side of the rear numberplates)
- the fiesta badge in the rear. The 'F' in the badge just breaks. My car sports the same, and this is being replaced w/o any issues from Ford. However, I have not really pressed for this, since I am not really concerned about it. I will be de-badging the rear soon.

There are some more points, but at the moment, they are not widespread enough to qualify for being 'common'. I think, it's best for us to just enjoy the car, since overall, it is a pretty reliable product.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. I guess you may be aware of this, but still, I will just say it. The Goodyear NCT5's which come with the car are not available in the market. They are specially made for this car, and can be purchased only via ford. One of my tyres did get a sidewall cut, post which I discovered this. A year back, the quote was 8.5k per tyre, and the same size michelin's were available for 5k per piece. The goodyear's are decent though (this is coming from someone who hates goodyear's ). So just be aware.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 19:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Rs 8500 per tyre, and that too,Goodyear??

That's daylight robbery! Go for Michelins, they are far better.

Ford had better realise that they need to set their prices in order if they are seriously intending to improve the sales of this fledgling model.

BTW, thanks to you guys for your reviews. I guess I should also hunt around next year for a used AT to replace my 12+ year old WagonR.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:18   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...There were 2 big TSB's issued by ford w.r.t. this model:
Quote:
........... I wrote a mail to ford requesting for the TSB to be done at the same dealer (with the appropriate links, which proved that the TSB is indeed in existence, and I am not bluffing). I received a call from chennai, wherein I was put on a conference with the service head of the A.S.S., and a appointment was fixed for the TSB. I gave the car to them at the appointed date, and I received the car the next day.

Had sent an email to FORD and promptly got a call from METRO Ford for the TSB update. Have given the car for the TSB update and it seems that FORD has requested them to open the t-case and report back some of the the parameters to them.

I did read in the TSB that based on some parameters, opening up of the t-case may be needed. So waiting for the next steps on this TSB. Meanwhile am driving the loaner Figo that the dealer gave me.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:51   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Fiesta back after the gearbox TSB update (TSB 13-9-4 which supersedes TSB 13-4-5 & 12-4-6).

They replaced the clutch and put in a new one. Have driven some 100 odd kms and the gear shifts feel lot more smoother and while have not driven in dense bumper to bumper traffic, it does seem that the TSB update is making the car stay in 1st gear for a little bit longer.

The car was with A.S.S for nearly 2 weeks while they diagnosed the clutch, sent parameters to Ford and Ford sending in the new clutch to be put in. I did ask what was the issue with the existing clutch but the A.S.S folks had little clue except that they took parameters as part of the suggested TSB process and shared with Ford and Ford asked them to replace the clutch.

Happy with Ford service & also Metro Ford folks for giving a loaner car + very proactive updates on progress of the work.

Will update again as I drive more.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 00:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

Are there any fiesta at still left in the market by any chance ?
Old 12th December 2014, 16:41   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a BLR - HYD (and nearby places) - BLR trip of 1600 kms on 7th / 9th Dec.

The road being perfect made it a delight to drive the fiesta. The highway manners are just too good -- be it those long sweeping curves or the straight line speeds/composure, handling during lane changes and ride quality over uneven stretches of tarmac. The fiesta is AT HOME on the highways.

Cruise control was used to the maximum and the 'reset' feature works like a charm. Suppose you have cruise control set at XX KMPH speed and after you have braked/slowed down in a traffic pocket, use the reset button on the steering wheel and viola, the car accelerates itself in the most optimum manner to bring you back to the cruise control speed. Not only no need to change gears but no need to press accelerator also. Full lazy driving it becomes with just brakes & steering needed :-)

Gave a healthy 14.5 kmpl average over the 1600 trip (includes BLR/HYD city traffic as well both ways) with 100% AC on.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks