Team-BHP - Renault Duster : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Renault Duster : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/123824-renault-duster-official-review-95.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 2962464)
The petrol version is lugging around quite a bit of weight and the lesser torque from the petrol engine makes it work harder. Anyways the petrol version and variant is bare bone.

How many petrol Duster would have Renault sold, an interesting point to ponder over.

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind the mileage of 13+ for the petrol version. But, i would be definitely be disappointed if it's lugging around. Need for good torque is a must and should approach the roads with a "go anywhere" attitude.

From a price point, the difference between the Diesel and petrol variant makes sense for my usage pattern. Just don't understand why Renault is not offering safety features for Petrol variant? :deadhorse. Beats all logic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by engrohit
Hi fellow Duster Owners

Pls help me with this one:
=======
The guys at Service center are absolutely clueless about these features and their functionalities.
Thanks

Guys can someone help me with my above query?? Pls pls.

It seems like duster has become an ultra premium car in india.

I went to dealer regarding when they could deliver my car, for which the reply was. Renault is not manufacturing RXE's You may expect the car by next year April/June. could some one help me with this? :Frustrati

Please make a note that, these are the prices given by Renault hyderabad. The spares man is not that knowledgeable enough. Also, they are including taxes.

The cost of spares is as follows.
Front Bumper - 7100 With out painting
Rear Bumper - 4000 Without painting
Oil 5 Liters mineral - 1800
Air filter - 800
Oil Filter - 600
Fuel Filter - 2000
Bonnet - 11100
Coolant - around 400 per liter/car. didn't get it clarified sorry.
Door - 14900 With out painting
Lower Arms - they havent yet received any info on this.
Back Windshield - 3700
Radiator - 6500
AC Condensor - 7500
ORVM Electric - 3500
ORVM Manual - somewhere around 2400. He didnt have much details regarding whether the renault sells the covers and mirrors or not.

Couldn't find the following spares prices as they were too busy and last but not the least, they do not have the right amount of information. Finding the prices of above parts itself took almost one hour.
Head Lights
Fog Lamps
Front Wind shield
Front Grile
Rear Tail lams cost.
Lower Arms, Struts, Tie rods, Suspension cost, Engine mounts, Suspension mounts.

The spares person has no information regarding some of the names mentioned above. The look on his face was like, he was hearing the names for the first time :Frustrati

Service Interval for every 10K KMS. Cost of each service is around 6000 if the mineral oil option is chosen, else the price goes to 10,000. This comes expensive than VW Vento which is the other car in my so called RADAR.

All in all, Now i think, getting my hands on a duster has become more difficult. Also in the long run, this car might prove to be a white elephant.
The Tires costs double to what 175/65 R14 & 15 costs.
Most of the spares are damn expensive.
For a Span of 30K km, with Synthetic oil, The cost of service would reach 30K where as for VW Vento/Rapid, it would be 18K.

I tried to get the most accurate prices, However it would be great, if someone could correct these prices accordingly if required.

@gemi_kk, great that you were able to get the spares costs. I was looking for Duster's spares costs & had asked local Renault agency exec. to supply me the list. I forgot to follow up with him.

The spare parts prices look on the higher side, specially the parts like Doors, front bumper, etc. Please see if you could get the prices of other parts too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemi_kk (Post 2964716)

The cost of spares is as follows.
Front Bumper - 7100 With out painting
Rear Bumper - 4000 Without painting
Oil 5 Liters mineral - 1800
Air filter - 800
Oil Filter - 600
Fuel Filter - 2000
Bonnet - 11100
Coolant - around 400 per liter/car. didn't get it clarified sorry.
Door - 14900 With out painting
Lower Arms - they havent yet received any info on this.
Back Windshield - 3700
Radiator - 6500
AC Condensor - 7500
ORVM Electric - 3500
ORVM Manual - somewhere around 2400.

Service Interval for every 10K KMS. Cost of each service is around 6000 if the mineral oil option is chosen, else the price goes to 10,000. This comes expensive than VW Vento which is the other car in my so called RADAR.

Am I missing something here? For a car that costs 10 lakhs+ the parts don't seem that expensive. Things like side-view mirrors and a/c condensors in my Honda City are more expensive.

The only thing that seemed high to me was the difference between mineral and synthetic engine oil. But on second thoughts even that seems ok for a 10k service interval. In the Honda City's case its three times: about Rs. 800 vs Rs. 2,400 (for a service interval of 5k.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream

Am I missing something here? For a car that costs 10 lakhs+ the parts don't seem that expensive. Things like side-view mirrors and a/c condensors in my Honda City are more expensive.

The only thing that seemed high to me was the difference between mineral and synthetic engine oil. But on second thoughts even that seems ok for a 10k service interval. In the Honda City's case its three times: about Rs. 800 vs Rs. 2,400 (for a service interval of 5k.)

Yes I agree none of the costs seem higher to me. They could pass as the part costs of a Hyundai i10 even.

Yes, spare-parts don't seem very expensive. But what about labour charges? Companies do offer cheaper parts but the bill you get eventually could be a bloated one thanks to exorbitant labour-costs. For example, my Santro leaks 10k on periodic services every year and 5k from that is labour. Even though our Hondas' parts are expensive, it turns out that the bills aren't massive because of the cheaper labour-charges.

Could current Duster owners throw some light on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suchit23 (Post 2964897)
Yes I agree none of the costs seem higher to me. They could pass as the part costs of a Hyundai i10 even.

:Shockked: The front Bumper costs 7100 with out painting.
The rear bumper costs 4000 with out painting. Please note that these bumpers are only half painted.

Even the Skoda prices for bumpers and painting them is much cheap.

The other parts seem ok ok. No comments.
Air filter + Oil Filter again are expensive. Aren't they? This aint no Jetta/Passat.

Please note that, this is an entry level SUV which costs 6.8L. Thanks to our taxing system which pushes the prices to 10L on the road. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWD (Post 2964742)
@gemi_kk, great that you were able to get the spares costs. I was looking for Duster's spares costs & had asked local Renault agency exec. to supply me the list. I forgot to follow up with him.

The spare parts prices look on the higher side, specially the parts like Doors, front bumper, etc. Please see if you could get the prices of other parts too...

Me pushing hard is not going to work unless Renault trains its employees properly.

They are about to receive a truck load of spares it seems. they have been waiting for this load from couple of weeks. Not sure how authentic this info is. once they get this info they should be able to check for more spares in their system and then they could give the price details. Blah blah blah. (Story from their side.)

Tried my best. Also it doesnt make any sense me going to renault again, as it has become hard for me to get a Duster.I cant wait for months with out a car and praying renault to give me a car. Also i dont want to wait so long. Am i buying a Ferrari/Bugati?
As said in bournville ad, You need to earn a bournvile. never thought about that situation earlier. Now i could feel it. May be i need to steal one from their trucks lol:

First thing in the morning that came up was the ignition coil light which didn't go off after turning the engine on. My parents had planned a trip to Tordi which is some 100 kms from Jaipur. My mom being skeptical was going to call off the trip.

Then about half way through at the toll post, the engine light comes on and remains like that. Good amount of blasting the service manager over the phone was of no help. He asked them to continue with the trip and said that he will check the error codes once they return back to Jaipur.

Just hoping it was some minor issue. Still 2 days to go till the vehicle reaches the service center. It is running fine but the unforeseen indications like this are worrisome. The vehicle is just a week old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 2965056)
First thing in the morning that came up was the ignition coil light which didn't go off after turning the engine on. My parents had planned a trip to Tordi which is some 100 kms from Jaipur. My mom being skeptical was going to call off the trip.

Then about half way through at the toll post, the engine light comes on and remains like that. Good amount of blasting the service manager over the phone was of no help. He asked them to continue with the trip and said that he will check the error codes once they return back to Jaipur.

Just hoping it was some minor issue. Still 2 days to go till the vehicle reaches the service center. It is running fine but the unforeseen indications like this are worrisome. The vehicle is just a week old.

Sorry to hear this. Never such problems were reported in duster, As expected i wish it to be a minor problem.

Try going though the manual and check if you could find some tips or help.
If its only warning lights, try disconnecting the batter and connecting it after 10 min. It does a hard boot of ECU in many cars and i believe it should work on Renault cars too. try looking for this in the manual too.

Cant say much, Try not to push her hard. Come home. take her to service. and do not forget to blast off on the service manager.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo

Then about half way through at the toll post, the engine light comes on and remains like that. Good amount of blasting the service manager over the phone was of no help. He asked them to continue with the trip and said that he will check the error codes once they return back to Jaipur....

... The vehicle is just a week old.

May I know what prompted you to scream at the SA? From your posts, the vehicle has been with you for a week & has not gone to the A$$ for a screw up. You haven't had issues for the last week, which may also mean it could have crept up when the car was in your possession. Don't know why you thought screaming at the SA is going to solve the issue. Or is there anything I am missing in this regard?

On top of these, you didn't bother to check the error code before you started the trip (inspite of seeing the warning), which might have led to a bigger problem. You might come back & tell me that brand new cars are not supossed to show errors, but I assume you have filled fuel in your car which may have created the issue! I believe the 'ignition coil' lights up when the diesel sensor conks off (atleast in swift D) due to low quality fuel.

While its natural to be upset & lose cool in a situation like this, I believe you should have shown the maturity to

1. Take the car for a check up than starting the trip (you had options to delay the trip / hire a taxi / arrange a back up vehicle).

2. Sustain your temper till the actual cause was found out. Now if its an issue from your side, are you going to apologise to the SA or going to let him scream at you the same way?

Even I believe we need to be a task master at times, but thats the last resort & when things don't fare out well. I definitely will not scream at the SA for the first time, until & unless I have confirmation that there is utter negligence from their side.

Now I sincerely hope your gut feeling to take the car for the trip hasn't lead to anything major & solves your issue 100%. The user manual usually contains various error codes & description. Hope you have spent time going thru it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2965337)
May I know what prompted you to scream at the SA? From your posts, the vehicle has been with you for a week & has not gone to the A$$ for a screw up. You haven't had issues for the last week, which may also mean it could have crept up when the car was in your possession. Don't know why you thought screaming at the SA is going to solve the issue. Or is there anything I am missing in this regard?

On top of these, you didn't bother to check the error code before you started the trip...

The idea here was to highlight the issue on the forum to see if anyone else has seen the same on their car.

The shouting begins when the SA starts telling you that this is a European car and the engines have not been acclimatized to Indian conditions and that these engines are directly imported from Europe. As if we don't know sh*t!

I get your point on checking the troubleshooting section in the manual but the trip had to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo
...The shouting begins when the SA starts telling you that this is a European car and the engines have not been acclimatized to Indian conditions and that these engines are directly imported from Europe. As if we don't know sh*t!

You just screamed at him? I would have thrashed him man! :-D

Edit: Jokes apart, I have a hunch low fuel quality could be a culprit. If indeed it is, you should not drive it much. Well, could you confirm whether you used good pumps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2965337)

On top of these, you didn't bother to check the error code before you started the trip (inspite of seeing the warning), which might have led to a bigger problem. You might come back & tell me that brand new cars are not supossed to show errors, but I assume you have filled fuel in your car which may have created the issue! I believe the 'ignition coil' lights up when the diesel sensor conks off (atleast in swift D) due to low quality fuel.

While its natural to be upset & lose cool in a situation like this, I believe you should have shown the maturity to

1. Take the car for a check up than starting the trip (you had options to delay the trip / hire a taxi / arrange a back up vehicle).

2. Sustain your temper till the actual cause was found out. Now if its an issue from your side, are you going to apologise to the SA or going to let him scream at you the same way?

Even I believe we need to be a task master at times, but thats the last resort & when things don't fare out well. I definitely will not scream at the SA for the first time, until & unless I have confirmation that there is utter negligence from their side.

Now I sincerely hope your gut feeling to take the car for the trip hasn't lead to anything major & solves your issue 100%. The user manual usually contains various error codes & description. Hope you have spent time going thru it.

Aah.... now i understand very clearly why your name is SwiftNFurious :D

Calm Down mate. When a user says, he has thrashed the SA, he might not have really done it to your level of Imagination, After all he is the one who has spend 10L big ones right? Every SA tries to skip the work by stating some reason, so i see nothing wrong in owners shouting on them too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 2964892)

First of all this car is overpriced by about 4 lacs. To top it Renault decide to adopt french cuisine pricing for the spares. Cost of plastic bumpers is 7k!!! That too unpainted or body in white kinds. Ridiculous