Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 02:23   #1561
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Hi guys, I am quite confused between the 320d luxury line and the 330i sportline. I was quoted 50 and 47 respectively after discount. The 320d is the newer version with the digital MID and the touch screen iDrive. My average running would be about 20-25 thousand kms a year and I plan to keep the car for about 5 years. I wanted your opinion on whether to opt for the diesel or the petrol and also, any leads on what kind of discounts and promotions are currently being offered?
Old 13th November 2017, 08:16   #1562
Team-BHP Support

Based on your running, the diesel would be more suited for you. You will break even within 3 years on the price differential. It will hold its value as it is the latest update.

Opting for the petrol version depends on whether you like the petrol characteristics and whether you need to de-risk future anti-diesel legislation if any!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:00   #1563
BHPian

Hi All

There is currently a larger discount on the prestige model compared the edition sport. is it worth getting the prestige or should i spend the extra on the edition sport. The difference is approximately 8 lakhs.

Does anyone have prestige variant who can share the feedback.

Last edited by amidoc : 15th November 2017 at 21:05. Reason: forgot to mention details
amidoc is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2017, 22:47   #1564
BHPian

Hi all

I received a call from the bmw Mumbai service centre about a free "software update" for my 2016 320d LCI. I suspect it may pertain to a recall, since there have been multiple calls from them.

Can someone throw some light on this? Apparently the update will take around 4-5 hours

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 16th November 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Typos
Old 16th November 2017, 09:42   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post
Hi all

I received a call from the bmw Mumbai service centre about a free "software update" for my 2016 320d LCI. I suspect it may pertain to a recall, since there have been multiple calls from them.

Can someone throw some light on this? Apparently the update will take around 4-5 hours

Thanks
It is usually for firmware update for the car. In addition to that they might try to sell you extended warranty plus BSI package if you haven't already opted for it.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:43   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
It is usually for firmware update for the car. In addition to that they might try to sell you extended warranty plus BSI package if you haven't already opted for it.

Thank you skyliner for the clarification. And I haven't purchased BSI or extended warranty

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2017 at 00:11. Reason: typo
Old 16th November 2017, 22:28   #1567
BHPian

Vividcreen for $599:

I recently stumbled upon this video on Vividscreen by Bimmertech:

Wanted to check if any of you have heard about this or any other similar product.

I exchanged a couple of emails with Bryan of kiesmotorsports and here's a summary of the clarifications received (Some points will make sense only after you watch the video):

* Will warranty be void if I install it?

Bryan: Because of the Magnuson Moss Act, Aftermarket parts shouldn't be a reason to void a warranty, so you should be okay.

* The current BMW screen has very good visibility & the fonts are very sharp even under bright sunlight and it adjusts itself based on ambient lighting. Will your screen also have the same visibility & sharpness? Is there a Nits/brightness rating for your screen?

Bryan: It's very comparable to the OEM screen, but I've asked BimmerTech for specifics. Will get back to you soon.

* Can the stretch screen be coded & rectified based on my VIN?

B: Yes for an additional $99

* Do I need to make a hole in the rear bumper to fit the camera or does it sit near the boot opening button like some of the stock BMW cameras?

B: No, it's plug and play and replaces the factory handle.

* Another alternative to get navigation on your screen is to go in for Smartview and mirror Google maps from my Android phone, right? What is the additional price for Smartview?

B: Yes, that's correct. The SmartView is $250 as an add on.

* What is the purpose of the HDMI port? Isn't Smartview a wireless mirroring solution?

B: The HDMI is for extra applications, such as the SmartView. The SmartView hooks into the HDMI for video and USB for power, but your phone connects wirelessly.

* Do you have international warranty? How many years warranty do you provide and in case of any issue will you send out a replacement since repair is out of question.

B:We offer a 1 year warranty on the hardware.

* How many years has Vividscreen been in operation worldwide?

B: The e60 Vividscreen has been out for about a year, the F30 vividscreen has been in testing for about 10 months and production for about 2-3 months.

Seems to be a good upgrade but haven't decided on buying it. Thought I will share it with all of you and seek your feedback.

Thanks.
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 23:26   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
Hi guys, I am quite confused between the 320d luxury line and the 330i sportline. I was quoted 50 and 47 respectively after discount. The 320d is the newer version with the digital MID and the touch screen iDrive. My average running would be about 20-25 thousand kms a year and I plan to keep the car for about 5 years. I wanted your opinion on whether to opt for the diesel or the petrol and also, any leads on what kind of discounts and promotions are currently being offered?

The 330i is much better to drive than the 320d. If you don't care about the whole "diesel economy" then I suggest the 330i. Negotiate a little more and try getting it for around 45. That should take care of the "diesel economy"
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 18:13   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Based on your running, the diesel would be more suited for you. You will break even within 3 years on the price differential. It will hold its value as it is the latest update.
This was my opinion too but the 3-4L price difference and option of getting a sportline has made me further unsure about what to opt for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
The 330i is much better to drive than the 320d. If you don't care about the whole "diesel economy" then I suggest the 330i. Negotiate a little more and try getting it for around 45. That should take care of the "diesel economy"
The only problem is that there is no test drive vehicle available for the 330i with any of the dealers here in Bombay. One of the dealer is pushing me to test drive the 530i saying its the same engine but obviously the entire dynamics would change and haven't gone for it yet. Keeping in mind that i'll be using the car for atleast 5 years I want to be sure of the drive before I go ahead and book it.
Old 20th November 2017, 20:03   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
This was my opinion too but the 3-4L price difference and option of getting a sportline has made me further unsure about what to opt for.

The only problem is that there is no test drive vehicle available for the 330i with any of the dealers here in Bombay. One of the dealer is pushing me to test drive the 530i saying its the same engine but obviously the entire dynamics would change and haven't gone for it yet. Keeping in mind that i'll be using the car for atleast 5 years I want to be sure of the drive before I go ahead and book it.
I've driven the 330i and I can tell you its one of the best cars out there. You might want to drive the 530i to get a feel for the engine. The 330i will be lighter and smaller, so that engine will be even better in it. If you like the driving experience of the 3 series then blindly go for the 330i. You won't want to trade it in even after 5 years....

Last edited by HKap : 20th November 2017 at 20:05. Reason: grammar correction.
Old 20th November 2017, 20:34   #1571
BHPian

Quote:

You seem to be getting a lot more features and a better discount on the 330i. See this carwale link: https://www.carwale.com/comparecars/...3911&source=26

If you are looking at 330i for bhp then did you check out the Skoda VRS? Although it will be a gas guzzler.

I have a 320d and am pretty happy with it. Haven't driven the 330i hence no comments. You can work out the breakeven and see what works best for you.

I don't think you should worry about diesel ban and related issues. In Delhi it is applicable after 10 yrs for >2 Lit engines.
Old 21st November 2017, 09:10   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. One of the dealer is pushing me to test drive the 530i saying its the same engine but obviously the entire dynamics would change and haven't gone for it yet. Keeping in mind that i'll be using the car for atleast 5 years I want to be sure of the drive before I go ahead and book it.
I have the new 530i and find it is a great balance of refinement and sportiness. If you want a pure sporty drive and super handling, the 330i would be the one for you. The engine works very well on the 530i even with the increased weight and handling is really good, but I know 330i will be better in this department. However the interior quality of the 530i is a class apart, clearly superior even to the new E Class. It feels two classes higher compared to the 3's interiors and easily matches/surpasses the previous generation 7 series. The 530i's cabin is quiet as a church and the agility of the 5m long car is completely surprising.

With the same engine in a lighter and shorter car in the 330i, I am sure your drive will be great fun. Have driven the 320D and the Diesel is torquey and revs freely. However, it is no match for the petrol in sporty highway drives or in the refinement department.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st November 2017 at 09:13.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:18   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post
Hi all

Thanks
I have received the call too and mine is a 320d M Sport LCI too. On asking for details they told me a control unit needs to be updated. I further probed on which control unit exactly needs to be updated and they replied it's the main control unit. Don't know why they are so cagey about this! I asked them send me an email with all details and the email too didn't disclose much. I called Infinity and they said the dealer who sold the car will have the details and the software update will be done by them. BMW calls this a technical service bulletin so it's not an official recall in BMW speak.

If you get the update done then please let me know the details. I am scheduled to take my car in on December 4.

Last edited by amit : 21st November 2017 at 20:20.
Old 27th November 2017, 15:50   #1574
BHPian

I today called up the BMW authorized service centre (Parsoli motors Ahmedabad) for service booking and was shocked to hear that the dealer has stopped offering routine services since they have some dispute going on with BMW since past one week and dont know when it will be resolved before they start accepting the bookings. Upon further probing i was informed that BMW has stopped supplying them the spares and consumables. I have taken a BSI package for my 320 D, the question i have is will BMW take responsibility if any damage happens to the vehicle due to no service happening for a prolonged period for no fault of the customer ?

Can someone help me with any representative of BMW who can help us in this matter. What are the options available to customer in such a scenario ??
Old 27th November 2017, 15:57   #1575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
I today called up the BMW authorized service centre (Parsoli motors Ahmedabad) for service booking and was shocked to hear that the dealer has stopped offering routine services since they have some dispute going on with BMW since past one week and dont know when it will be resolved before they start accepting the bookings. Upon further probing i was informed that BMW has stopped supplying them the spares and consumables. I have taken a BSI package for my 320 D, the question i have is will BMW take responsibility if any damage happens to the vehicle due to no service happening for a prolonged period for no fault of the customer ?

Can someone help me with any representative of BMW who can help us in this matter. What are the options available to customer in such a scenario ??
The best thing to do in such a case would be to look at the next nearest service center you can find near you. Your service package isn't bound to the dealership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks