Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 14:18   #1921
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quick question Are the Bilstein B6 the same for the F30 petrols and diesels. Usually in all cars the diesel vs the petrols shocks the diesels are a bit meatier to handle the additional weight.
Old 27th September 2019, 19:36   #1922
ais
BHPian

Yes. You can confirm by contacting Bilstein.

info@carfantasy.nl
Old 29th September 2019, 18:23   #1923
BHPian

Hey guys, just had a bit of a scare. Had left my car overnight at my local 3M centre for the Hypershield treatment. I know the manager for a number of years and they've been great with all the cars in my family, so I generally trust them enough to leave the car overnight. When I picked it up this morning, I saw a drive stabilisation warning on my iDrive, which disappeared when I started driving.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20190929_180035.jpg

It popped up again this evening. Could anyone tell me what this means? Looks like some manner of ABS malfunction. The car is under warranty so I'm hoping if it's some kind of failure I don't have to pay for it? I have a busy schedule tomorrow, so can only take her in to the shop day after. Hope it's not something too serious.

Also, wondering what could possibly have gone wrong overnight at the 3M centre that the ABS module would be acting up.

Last edited by zebanaff : 29th September 2019 at 18:28.
zebanaff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 18:58   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
Hey guys, just had a bit of a scare. ... I saw a drive stabilisation warning on my iDrive ...

It popped up again this evening. Could anyone tell me what this means?
First the story - I had a similar scare on a recent trip to Goa in my X3 30D. On my way back I had stopped to enquire about alternate route options since Chorla ghats was jammed. When I pushed Start, the car didn't start and threw up this same error. Since I was sure that I had done nothing untoward in my driving upto that point, I gave it a couple of minutes and tried starting again. This time it started, didn't throw up any errors, but the "Check Engine" light stayed on. Since I was able to drive, I thought it best to get out of the place and finally ended up driving all the way back to Bangalore through Amboli ghats and then the Pune-Bangalore highway. There were no errors reported under Vehicle status, temperature was normal, power seemed fine, no smoke, no noticeable issues while driving. The "Check Engine" light also went off after I stopped for a coffee in Chitradurga. The error didn't appear again when I started the car a couple of times later after parking at home.

I called up Navnit motors and they advised to take the car in for a check up. When they checked, there were a bunch of errors with the root culprit being fuel contamination. According to them, the fuel delivery was impacted that caused the Engine and other driving dynamics to interpret that something was wrong resulting in a bunch of errors. I could quickly relate to this since I had filled up, unnecessarily, at a HP bunk a few KMs before Chorla ghats and the place hadn't inspired confidence.

They drained the fuel, cleaned the lines, did a longish test drive and returned the car. So far, things are back to normal.

This may not provide a solution to your situation but thought I'll share all the same. It may be something minor but best to get it checked up.
Mnjdnght is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:08   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Hope it's not something too serious.
Also, wondering what could possibly have gone wrong overnight at the 3M centre that the ABS module would be acting up.
Hi,

Get the car checked at BMW work-shop. If you can’t go to them immediately, do give a call and apprise them & book a slot.

Most likely it is due to faulty ABS Wheel Speed sensor or low battery voltage.
Worst case scenario, it could be due to failed ABS/DSC pump.

If the car is under warranty, you need not to worry.

It’s very difficult to comment on 3M’s contribution here. (they will deny everything)

1. Kept the car battery switched on (I have seen them doing this & corrected them).
2. Jacking up the car wrong way.
3. Washing the car in a wrong way, damaging the sensor.

3M Workers are not aware of full functionalities of these cars.

Brdgs,
Sail
Sail is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:13   #1926
BHPian

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. I'm booking an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get it checked tomorrow itself.
Old 29th September 2019, 19:25   #1927
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, just had a bit of a scare. Had left my car overnight at my local 3M centre for the Hypershield treatment. I know the manager for a number of years and they've been great with all the cars in my family, so I generally trust them enough to leave the car overnight. When I picked it up this morning, I saw a drive stabilisation warning on my iDrive, which disappeared when I started driving.

Attachment 1919024

It popped up again this evening. Could anyone tell me what this means? Looks like some manner of ABS malfunction. The car is under warranty so I'm hoping if it's some kind of failure I don't have to pay for it? I have a busy schedule tomorrow, so can only take her in to the shop day after. Hope it's not something too serious.

They must have preassure washed thewheels.

Your wheel speed sensor will be either wet or shorted.
Costs appx 9k.
If your warranty is current I am sure it will be covered.

Last edited by KMT : 29th September 2019 at 19:27.
KMT is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:48   #1928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. I'm booking an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get it checked tomorrow itself.

If the error hasn't shown up again then don't bother. Probably moisture or dirt. But if it is constantly coming and going, then best to get it checked.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:56   #1929
BHPian

I wouldn't think too much of it if it went away. You know the trope about BMWs, right? They all sooner or later will have check engine lights.

On a serious note, it might be a good decision to invest in a OB2 scanner or Bluetooth dongle (that connects to your phone) and read/clear any errors yourself. Small things can be ignored, including false flags. Could save you from visits to the dealer in the long run.

Last edited by raystriker : 29th September 2019 at 20:04.
raystriker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 22:28   #1930
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post

It’s very difficult to comment on 3M’s contribution here. (they will deny everything)

1. Kept the car battery switched on (I have seen them doing this & corrected them).
2. Jacking up the car wrong way.
3. Washing the car in a wrong way, damaging the sensor.

3M Workers are not aware of full functionalities of these cars.

Brdgs,
Sail
I used to get my previous car- 320d, washed by 3M Chandigarh (Industrial Area) every time after long drives or whenever needed. On one visit, one of their boys ran a finger on a dusty bonnet. I stopped the chap, but immediately he did it again. I let the owner/partner Mr. Parikshit have some steam. That was my last visit to 3M.

Presently I have the BMW shampoo and Mercedes wax. I get the washing and polishing done by one of the washing establishments in Sector 11, Panchkula, in my presence. I don't mind paying the BMW service center Krishna Motors their (higher) charges either, as they know what they are doing. 3M Car Care hasn't got a clue.

In Chandigarh, Detailing Devils have worked out fine for ceramic coating.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 01:51   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
I wouldn't think too much of it if it went away. You know the trope about BMWs, right? They all sooner or later will have check engine lights.

On a serious note, it might be a good decision to invest in a OB2 scanner or Bluetooth dongle (that connects to your phone) and read/clear any errors yourself. Small things can be ignored, including false flags. Could save you from visits to the dealer in the long run.
It went away, but it's back again. I will be taking the car in to the shop tomorrow just in case. Could you suggest a good scanner/dongle? Being just a month or so into my BMW ownership after being part of the VAG family for ages, I'm quite clueless about what the good ones are. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I used to get my previous car- 320d, washed by 3M Chandigarh (Industrial Area) every time after long drives or whenever needed. On one visit, one of their boys ran a finger on a dusty bonnet. I stopped the chap, but immediately he did it again. I let the owner/partner Mr. Parikshit have some steam. That was my last visit to 3M.

Presently I have the BMW shampoo and Mercedes wax. I get the washing and polishing done by one of the washing establishments in Sector 11, Panchkula, in my presence. I don't mind paying the BMW service center Krishna Motors their (higher) charges either, as they know what they are doing. 3M Car Care hasn't got a clue.

In Chandigarh, Detailing Devils have worked out fine for ceramic coating.
As mentioned, the Santacruz (Mumbai) outlet is one of the most professional outlets I've seen. Being an old customer, I know the manager and all the boys who work there, and they give me priority service, so I couldn't recommend them more. Also I get special treatment there due to my minor celebrity status

But I know what you mean. I had a terrible experience at 3M Worli. I gave them my previous car for paint sealant and came back to see a deep scratch on my bonnet which they put down to, "Oh maybe some passerby scratched it while it was parked". In trying to get rid of it, they discoloured the paint around the area. This was just a month into ownership of the car, so I was really upset.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th September 2019 at 16:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 30th September 2019, 02:04   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
It went away, but it's back again. I will be taking the car in to the shop tomorrow just in case. Could you suggest a good scanner/dongle? Being just a month or so into my BMW ownership after being part of the VAG family for ages, I'm quite clueless about what the good ones are. Thanks!
But buying a cheap one especially in India seems like a gamble. This seems like a decent option.
https://www.amazon.in/Robostore-India-Creader-Diagnostic-Mahindra/dp/B07WRJF91Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=25UTW55ERAEG8&keywords=obd2%2 Bscanner&qid=1569789046&s=gateway&sprefix=obd2%2Ca ps%2C283&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDhXTzcwQ0N GVUtLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDc0Mzc2OUg3VTVKRjFGT0dMJ mVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NTM3NjRUNFc5TDdHWUI4MDYmd2l kZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZ G9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Honestly, I'd wait for the OBD2 reader's diagnosis. You never know what extra crap the dealer might try to get you in for. (Especially false flags which you can clear out yourself, which they will charge you for, probably).

Last edited by raystriker : 30th September 2019 at 02:08.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 12:54   #1933
BHPian

UPDATE: The earliest appointment I've managed to get is for 12th October in Turbhe. The warning is still there. Since this is my first time going to a BMW service centre, wanted to ask what is the process for getting a loaner car in case the service is going to take more than a day or two? I have to drive around a fair bit for work every day, and in fact even the service centre is a 6-700 rupee Ola/Uber ride from where I live. Would be a very expensive proposition to have the car in the shop for more than 2 days without a replacement. Do I need to ask them for it in advance? Or when I take the car in?

A friend of mine who speaking from experience with his X1 said I should also insist on a loaner car, even if it's for 2 days, so that they have pressure to get the job done quickly. Otherwise they take their own sweet time. Any thoughts?
zebanaff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 23:58   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: The earliest appointment I've managed to get is for 12th October in Turbhe. The warning is still there. Since this is my first time going to a BMW service centre, wanted to ask what is the process for getting a loaner car in case the service is going to take more than a day or two? I have to drive around a fair bit for work every day, and in fact even the service centre is a 6-700 rupee Ola/Uber ride from where I live. Would be a very expensive proposition to have the car in the shop for more than 2 days without a replacement. Do I need to ask them for it in advance? Or when I take the car in?

A friend of mine who speaking from experience with his X1 said I should also insist on a loaner car, even if it's for 2 days, so that they have pressure to get the job done quickly. Otherwise they take their own sweet time. Any thoughts?
You're a customer of a premium brand and your car is pretty new. Yeah, push for a loaner.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 00:15   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
When they checked, there were a bunch of errors with the root culprit being fuel contamination.
Thanks for this update.

Due to this same reason, I always prefer Reliance Pumps during touring. No issues with fuel whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks