Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 16:24   #1771
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

So with my 320d almost touching 15,000 in less than a year, the iDrive indicated 3200kms for the Engine Oil Service, I decided to drive down to Goa (1500 km) for 31st and come back and send the car for the service.
I left Mumbai on the 30th and just before I reached Kohlapur the iDrive indicated the service interval changed to 2200 kms for the Engine Oil and suddenly a Front Brake pad service at 1800 kms showed up. I was still feeling confident enough that I could complete my trip and come back and get the car serviced.

After about 2 hours when I crossed Belgaum the Brake service had dropped to 700 kms and by the time I reached Chorla ghat, there was no feel at the pedal and I was crawling at 40-50.

On the 31st when I reached Bavaria Motors in Goa, the front pads thickness was only 1mm As per iDrive i could still drive for 500 kms more. The SA said it's normal for a replacement at 15k.
Under BSI they did complete the Brake, Engine Oil and Microfilter service though.

Guys could there be a sensor/iDrive malfunction that was causing the erratic changes in the service intervals? and it normal for completely worn out pads considering the cars only done 15,000 kms?
shovan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 16:43   #1772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
could there be a sensor/iDrive malfunction that was causing the erratic changes in the service intervals? and it normal for completely worn out pads considering the cars only done 15,000 kms?

Most likely, NO. The reasons can be different driving pattern, perhaps you drive too much in city. Have seen this happening all the time. You are lucky that your brake pad and oil change came together, under BSI, these days they won't change anything until it is actually due on the car (idrive service message)

Edit - Brake pads at 15K - so you are a spirited driver, what's their tag-line - enjoy driving pleasure to the full extent. You have BSI, so let BMW worry for your pads. Hope your tyres are doing ok

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th January 2019 at 16:51.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 17:23   #1773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys could there be a sensor/iDrive malfunction that was causing the erratic changes in the service intervals? and it normal for completely worn out pads considering the cars only done 15,000 kms?
From what I have read about BMW brake pad life indicator, it is a combination of a two stage sensor and some algorithms the iDrive applies based on the driving style. A couple of metal wires are embedded in the brake pad. When the pad wears enough to expose these wires, the wires get shorted on the brake disc and that triggers the wear indicator. There are two such stages of such detection. Over this the iDrive applies some estimation of life based on driving style. While the actual sensing of the exposed wires will be accurate, the approximation may not and that may be the reason for the drastic drop in pad life prediction as you were driving to Goa.

If you do a lot of spirited driving with frequent acceleration and braking, it is expected for the brake pads to wear at 15,000 km. I think the BMW brake pads have a good wear rate, as I observe lots of brake dust after every long drive.

OT, your post came as a reminder for my upcoming Goa drive as well this week. My brake pad estimate on the idrive is 18000 kilometers for the front pads and 19000 kilometers for the rear pads. I did a visual inspection and I can see about 4mm to 5mm of brake pad left in the front. Guess this should be enough for the 2000 km drive. I spoke to the BMW service manager to find if we can change the pads pro-actively before the drive, he said in the CBS system, it is not possible to change the pads without the iDrive indicating a requirement. And he said 4 to 5mm of brake pad should be enough for the drive. Fingers crossed.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 17:34   #1774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
From what I have read about BMW brake pad life indicator, it is a combination of a two stage sensor and some algorithms the iDrive applies based on the driving style. A couple of metal wires are embedded in the brake pad.
2004 Honda Accord also has the brake pad wear sensors. Are BMW's any special? Also, what's the cost of the pads and disks?
Old 8th January 2019, 17:52   #1775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
2004 Honda Accord also has the brake pad wear sensors. Are BMW's any special? Also, what's the cost of the pads and disks?
Don't understand your Question. No one is suggesting that the Technology is exclusive to BMW or something special. It's being there since many Years. However, unlike Hondas that you have referred from 2004, you don't get audible warnings but message on iDrive. You can also check condition (KM left) on the pads on the screen. Here the query was regarding sudden drop in the KM left on pads based on iDrive information.

Regarding costs, it varies from vehicle but in this case, covered under BSI so no charge

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th January 2019 at 18:13.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:26   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Don't understand your Question.

Regarding costs, it varies from vehicle but in this case, covered under BSI so no charge
I am only curious to know if the brake pad sensors in BMW are much different from the Accord of the last decade, I am not challenging anything! And I have not decided on the BSI, just want to know the part costs so that I can decide
Old 8th January 2019, 18:33   #1777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am only curious to know if the brake pad sensors in BMW are much different from the Accord of the last decade,
Ofcourse, those were just a piece of mechanical strip if I am not mistaken.

Brake Squeal and Wear Indicator

On Honda cars, all four brakes have audible brake wear indicators. So when your brake pads need replacing, you will hear a distinctive metallic “screeching” sound when you apply the brakes. If you do not have the brake pads replaced, they will begin screeching all the time.

http://www.howdyhonda.com/blog/tag/h...ar-indicators/

Quote:
I have not decided on the BSI, just want to know the part costs so that I can decide
There are multiple threads and ownership/ general, which have details. But it will be entirely up to your usage and how you see a value. If you drive more perhaps BSI still makes sense otherwise don't bother and just buy additional warranty when its time. But to your question on how much will these costs, I won't have an answer as never paid, all the cars in BSI
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 19:39   #1778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am only curious to know if the brake pad sensors in BMW are much different from the Accord of the last decade, I am not challenging anything! And I have not decided on the BSI, just want to know the part costs so that I can decide
Actually, the construction of the sensor is same across manufacturers. There are to wires embedded in the pad and when the pad wears enough to expose these wires, the brake disc shorts these wires and you get a notification in the MID. Usually in most of the cars, this warning will be on/off type. You will get a warning and withing some kilometers you will have to change the pads.

But in BMW (and maybe in many other cars as well), they have added some predictions in the iDrive, where they keep monitoring the driving conditions and style (mostly how often brake is applied, at what speed the brake is applied etc) and predict the life left on the brake pads. Of course this predictions will be very approximate and can change drastically based on the type of roads or traffic you drive.

Regarding costs, usually an oil service would cost from 20K to 25K and brake pads cost 40K for both front and rear. If you drive aggressively, then you may even have 2 rounds of brake pad change in a 40K distance (the minimum BSI of 3 years/40K km) which would make BSI totally worth.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:19   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most likely, NO. The reasons can be different driving pattern, perhaps you drive too much in city. Have seen this happening all the time. You are lucky that your brake pad and oil change came together, under BSI, these days they won't change anything until it is actually due on the car (idrive service message)

Edit - Brake pads at 15K - so you are a spirited driver, what's their tag-line - enjoy driving pleasure to the full extent. You have BSI, so let BMW worry for your pads. Hope your tyres are doing ok
Hahaha BSI seems like a good investment in that case. Tyres have about 10-15,000 more on them hopefully

Quote:
From what I have read about BMW brake pad life indicator, it is a combination of a two stage sensor and some algorithms the iDrive applies based on the driving style. A couple of metal wires are embedded in the brake pad. When the pad wears enough to expose these wires, the wires get shorted on the brake disc and that triggers the wear indicator. There are two such stages of such detection. Over this the iDrive applies some estimation of life based on driving style. While the actual sensing of the exposed wires will be accurate, the approximation may not and that may be the reason for the drastic drop in pad life prediction as you were driving to Goa.
Ya most probably but the rear pads still say 14,000 so was worried what could be the reason for the uneven wear, but then again with BSI half my worries are gone.

Quote:
If you do a lot of spirited driving with frequent acceleration and braking, it is expected for the brake pads to wear at 15,000 km. I think the BMW brake pads have a good wear rate, as I observe lots of brake dust after every long drive.
Im on the highway more than 50% of the time so a lot of acceleration and braking does happen. I was only concerned because on my previous Jetta with a similar driving style I had managed more than 25,000 kms before a change was required.

Quote:
OT, your post came as a reminder for my upcoming Goa drive as well this week. My brake pad estimate on the idrive is 18000 kilometers for the front pads and 19000 kilometers for the rear pads. I did a visual inspection and I can see about 4mm to 5mm of brake pad left in the front. Guess this should be enough for the 2000 km drive. I spoke to the BMW service manager to find if we can change the pads pro-actively before the drive, he said in the CBS system, it is not possible to change the pads without the iDrive indicating a requirement. And he said 4 to 5mm of brake pad should be enough for the drive. Fingers crossed.
My front pads also said 18000 before i left for the drive I think they can't replace or do the service until the requirement reaches under 2000 km.

Do remember to take Chorla though, the Amboli road is a nightmare. Worst case if you do have to send your car in, Franky and Johnny at Bavaria Goa are extremely helpful.
shovan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 14:14   #1780
BHPian

My 320i is nearing 3 years old. I have taken BSI basic for 3 years and extended warranty for 4 years. As I would like to keep the car for long term (nearly 8-10 years), I would like to extend the BSI. I read in the other thread that it can be extended up to 10 years/100K. Is it possible to convert my BSI basic to BSI plus by paying additional amount? Also, should I extend warranty for up to 6 years? I would like to get the experts' views on this.

I also would like to share the recent mileage I got for the round trip between Delhi and Jaipur. Average mileage is 14.7 kmpl (90% highway and 10% city driving) for a total trip of 530 kms. I am posting the odometer reading. I am really surprised and happy about the mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_1268.jpg  

Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 14:37   #1781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
My 320i is nearing 3 years old. I have taken BSI basic for 3 years and extended warranty for 4 years. As I would like to keep the car for long term (nearly 8-10 years), I would like to extend the BSI. I read in the other thread that it can be extended up to 10 years/100K. Is it possible to convert my BSI basic to BSI plus by paying additional amount? Also, should I extend warranty for up to 6 years? I would like to get the experts' views on this.
Yes. It is possible to convert the BSI basic to BSI+ by paying the difference amount.

For extended warranty, 5 years is the sweet spot when it comes to pricing. The 6th year costs almost as much as it costs for the 5 years. I have many friends who went for the 5 year warranty for its "value for money". But if you are not concerned about the budget, I would suggest to take 6 years as it will give you that more peace of mind.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 16:38   #1782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ya most probably but the rear pads still say 14,000 so was worried what could be the reason for the uneven wear, but then again with BSI half my worries are gone.

Im on the highway more than 50% of the time so a lot of acceleration and braking does happen. I was only concerned because on my previous Jetta with a similar driving style I had managed more than 25,000 kms before a change was required.

My front pads also said 18000 before i left for the drive I think they can't replace or do the service until the requirement reaches under 2000 km.
I wouldn't be too worried about the uneven wear between the rear and front brakes - that is normal.
What is surprising is it going from 18,000 to nearly zero on a short trip - that IMO needs to be checked out.
The other parameters like oil change intervals and all keep adapting based on the outside conditions and how you drive - so maybe that could explain why the oil change interval popped up much earlier.

Re: the Jetta v/s the 320D. Keep in mind that the 320D is a lot more powerful and will have you doing considerably higher speeds coupled with possibly better brakes.
My C class required rear brake pads to be changed in 10Kkm compared to 35Kkm on the Laura.
Old 9th January 2019, 21:10   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It is possible to convert the BSI basic to BSI+ by paying the difference amount.

For extended warranty, 5 years is the sweet spot when it comes to pricing. The 6th year costs almost as much as it costs for the 5 years. I have many friends who went for the 5 year warranty for its "value for money". But if you are not concerned about the budget, I would suggest taking 6 years as it will give you that more peace of mind.
Thank you for your inputs. I will go for 5 years warranty with BSI plus for 100k/10 years.
Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 21:14   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Thank you for your inputs. I will go for 5 years warranty with BSI plus for 100k/10 years.
That is a good idea. Please share how much it costs for this upgrade. Even I am thinking of upgrading from my current 3year/40k km to a longer duration and distance.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:28   #1785
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Yesterday, while I was on a long drive in my 320d, two notifications popped up suddenly on the IDRIVE:
1. Engine Oil Change (Normal One - was expecting it)
2. Along with it - one more regarding the Braking system saying that the Front Brake Pads have to be replaced and asking me to drive moderately.

I remember checking around 2000km ago and in IDRIVE and it showed a life of around 20,000 kms for front brake pads and 18,000 kms for my rear brake pads. I don't understand why this notification suddenly popped up within 2000km. Currently ODO is at 37k kms mark. I bought a used one at 27k kms mark and don't know if the previous owner has changed the pads before. But, seeing their life in IDRIVE, I assumed he did.

I didn't understand whether it is some kind of a sensor error or was it showing the life of pads wrongly in idrive from before itself.

Can any one help please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks