Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:30   #1756
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I am attaching the image of the wire chewed by the rat as sent by the SA. He did mention that he is trying to repair them and not replace them. He is confident that it should be enough but was not a 100% sure.
If there is enough wire length available on both sides of the rat bite, it should be possible to splice it and repair. However, if the bit is close to the sensor then it would be difficult to repair. Hope your SA is able to repair this
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:16   #1757
BHPian

The problem of rat bites on BMWs seems to be by and large a big nuisance, rats seems to like these germans. I too experienced a rat bit and the wiring in my 3 series was replaced but hopefully the damage was not extensive and i ended up paying 15k.
Recently my boss too had a rat incident on his Merc GLS and he ended by expending 1 lac.
amit_i is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:31   #1758
BHPian

Update: Got the car back today morning. Was in conversation with the SA yesterday afternoon. They managed to repair the wires without replacing them. The cost of the same was about 7000 INR (parts were only 1000).

Got the service done as well but din't opt for wheel alignment (which I found overpriced at about 11000 INR). I could probably do that in the next service or so. Work carried out included Engine oil service, microfilter service, AC fumigation, 12 point check, braking and suspension test and a car wash. The total of all this including the rat bite fix came to 40,000 INR.

Next a brake fluid change is due in February, which I will send the car for.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 14:30   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Got the service done as well but din't opt for wheel alignment (which I found overpriced at about 11000 INR).m.
Have they increased the prices? 11k for alignment is stupidity on their part when there are plenty of outlets outside offering the same service. It used to be 5100rs before and even then I never opted for it and prefer getting it done myself from outside shops in front of my eyes.
Old 5th December 2018, 09:43   #1760
BHPian

[quote=drmohitg;4504724]I feel it is the sensor that might have become faulty and hence the warning. Also whats the status of the front brake pads. If it is indeed to do with your driving, then they would also have lost considerable life and the number of kms left to change must be not high. For comparison, the brake pads in my car lasted a cool 40k kms.

drmohitg, good to note that your brake pads lasted 40K kms. I have done 11900 kms (in 20 months) and my idrive is still showing 60K to go for both pads. Sometime back I think Karan mentioned that it will drop all of a sudden. Is there a fixed pattern for these drops say in steps of 12K or so? I don't see any other error like kartavya's. Fyi, I am a very careful driver and prefer engine braking whenever possible.

Also, do you suggest taking 2 year addl warranty before end of 2 year warranty in Mar 19? Heard this year prices have not gone up in November.

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2018, 10:26   #1761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Also, do you suggest taking 2 year addl warranty before end of 2 year warranty in Mar 19? Heard this year prices have not gone up in November.
If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I would suggest you to take the maximum possible warranty cover - 5 years or 6 years. I had checked the cost of extended warranty and BSI after the price hike (another user had posted the rates in another thread), and the increase was not that significant.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 12:30   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

drmohitg, good to note that your brake pads lasted 40K kms. I have done 11900 kms (in 20 months) and my idrive is still showing 60K to go for both pads. Fyi, I am a very careful driver and prefer engine braking whenever possible.

Thanks.
It definitely depends on your driving style. It doesn't drop suddenly but yes for instance it can fall by 2-3k kms at a time. Towards the end, the rear brake pads in my car, got stuck at 6k kms life and I literally drove 10k kms without that figure falling down. To the extend that I got them checked at BMW and they said it is fine. Then all of a sudden it fell down to 2k kms in a span of only 1000 kms.

Regarding the warranty, you should definitely be taking it. My car got its front left shocker and suspension bushes replaced in its 5th year under warranty. I will suggest opting for maximum warranty.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 19:28   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It definitely depends on your driving style. It doesn't drop suddenly but yes for instance it can fall by 2-3k kms at a time. Towards the end, the rear brake pads in my car, got stuck at 6k kms life and I literally drove 10k kms without that figure falling down. To the extend that I got them checked at BMW and they said it is fine. Then all of a sudden it fell down to 2k kms in a span of only 1000 kms.

Regarding the warranty, you should definitely be taking it. My car got its front left shocker and suspension bushes replaced in its 5th year under warranty. I will suggest opting for maximum warranty.
Thanks. My query on warranty is because I drive only around 7-8K kms per year. What was the KM reading when you got the front left shocker and suspension bushes replaced and approx cost for the same? For 2 year addl warranty is 73K, 3 years becomes 143K and then 4 yrs addl is 288K. Not sure whether it is worth that much considering the above, even though you can't put a value for something like an insurance.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:49   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. My query on warranty is because I drive only around 7-8K kms per year. What was the KM reading when you got the front left shocker and suspension bushes replaced and approx cost for the same? For 2 year addl warranty is 73K, 3 years becomes 143K and then 4 yrs addl is 288K. Not sure whether it is worth that much considering the above, even though you can't put a value for something like an insurance.
The rates have definitely been revised in that case. I remember paying 3.4L for both service and warranty for 5 years/60k kms. The left shocker was making a slight noise since 45k kms mark and I ignored it. They replaced it themselves ( it was leaking) and mentioned the cost of the same as around 40k.
Old 18th December 2018, 07:44   #1765
Distinguished - BHPian

So my cars BSI pack expired last month. I had taken the 5 year/60k kms pack which included both the warranty and the servicing aspect. Now the warranty can no longer be extended. There is an option to extend it for one more year, i.e. the 6th year but the cost for the same is outright obnoxious priced at 1.93L Rs. For just 1 year I found that price to be too high.

Now coming to the service part, BMW has plans that go till the 10th year/2L kms ( impressive indeed!). The one that I am interested is the 10year/1L km plan. This is priced at 2.1L. My car has covered exactly 53k kms in 5 years and in the next 5 I see it running relatively less than that. But of-course it goes without saying that there is an element of peace of mind associated with these packs. Really confused if I should opt for an extension and pay 2L or instead just get the car serviced as and when required. I do plan to keep it till the 9th or 10th year for sure.

The components mentioned that are covered under the BSI Plus are as follows:
Brake Fluid
Air Filters
Micro Filters
Fuel Filters
Oil Filters
Engine Oil
Spark Plugs
Clutch Assembly (only if worn out)
Wiper Blades(within the time frame of Oil Change Service)
Brake Pads and Brake Discs

Any repair or maintenance requirement not mentioned above is specifically excluded. So going by this list, parts related to suspension like bushes, shockers etc, timing belt and a plethora of other components in the engine bay ( I am no expert at that) would not be covered? In which case, a regular engine oil service including a change if filters costs around 30k. What is the cost of Brake pads and discs? IIRC I was told around 40k for a set ( can anyone shed light on that) and my car would require 1 change during these 5years. So all in all would it make sense to opt for the pack?

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th December 2018 at 07:49.
Old 18th December 2018, 08:25   #1766
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now coming to the service part, BMW has plans that go till the 10th year/2L kms ( impressive indeed!). The one that I am interested is the 10year/1L km plan. This is priced at 2.1L.
Can you check if this pricing is for the BSI or BSI Plus? I have taken the BSI+ for 3 years and to extend this to 5 years, I have to pay an additional 1.4L. I doubt if a 5 year extension would cost 2.1L. This is most probably for the basic BSI pack which covers oil and filters and labor only and does not cover brake pads and discs.
Old 18th December 2018, 09:44   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Can you check if this pricing is for the BSI or BSI Plus? I have taken the BSI+ for 3 years and to extend this to 5 years, I have to pay an additional 1.4L. I doubt if a 5 year extension would cost 2.1L. This is most probably for the basic BSI pack which covers oil and filters and labor only and does not cover brake pads and discs.
No it is for plus. This amount is ofcourse after adjusting the amount I have already paid for the current 5 year plan.
Old 18th December 2018, 09:49   #1768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No it is for plus. This amount is ofcourse after adjusting the amount I have already paid for the current 5 year plan.
In that case, it is definitely a good deal to take.
Old 24th December 2018, 19:57   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Wow this is a great price indeed!
A couple of months back I got these quotes from Navnit motors - seems to be a difference in the calculations but I had a 3 year package
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-6b1ffcb3033d491cb580e47fee2159ec.jpeg  

Old 24th December 2018, 20:31   #1770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj947 View Post
Wow this is a great price indeed!
A couple of months back I got these quotes from Navnit motors - seems to be a difference in the calculations but I had a 3 year package
It is exactly what you have been told. Earlier I had the 5 year/60k kms which is listed for Rs. 1,60,598 whereas the 10 year/1L km plan costs Rs. 3,70,048. The difference is what I exactly paid i.e. Rs. 2,09,450.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks