Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:02   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which dealership did you go to for Volvo? The dealer I went to in Gurgaon didn't have any car with an ex-showroom price of 23L. Otherwise would have gone for the S60 eyes closed since the difference will be huge between it and the 320d. The older S60 has 3-4L discount which can be stretched more I feel, but the ex-showroom price of the base model ( kinetic) is 27L approx taking the OTR price to 31L. On this you can get 3-4L discount. The summum and D5 are still costlier ofcourse. So please clarify where you got the 23L figure from?

Now guys have a query regarding the best way to operate this AT box on the 3 series. Quoting from my post on the ownership thread:

Please guide me as this is my first AT car and I don't want to ruin the transmission box from my mistake.
Quote:
No sir, those prices then slowly went up. The SA gave me the price list of the older as well as the newer S60 and older one started with 27-28L for the D3 kinetic variant. Will scan and upload the price list if I can locate it.
In an AT, when parked at a red light you can stay in D with a foot on the brakes to prevent it from creeping or you could put it in N and use the handbrake. Usually, the choice of the mode depends on how long you're going to be stopped for: long light - use option 2, short light - use option 1.

The reason to disengage the transmission by putting it in N is to stop the engine from straining against the brakes and burning more fuel.

You only use P when the car is parked. Not in traffic. This mode locks the transmission and prevents the car from rolling but it's not a substitute for the handbrake/parking brake. The reason you don't use it in traffic, especially in the case of most traditional ATs, is because if you are stopped in P and someone comes and hits you from the back it will break the P mechanism and cause damage to the transmission. That will not happen in N or D.

On the S60, after reading about some fantastic discounts on one of the threads, I called up Auto Kashyap in Delhi but didn't find it to be true. The S60 costs as much as a 3 series and although the Volvo may have more features, between the two, BMW has more of a presence in India. Also Volvo doesn't offer a long 5-year BSI type of service package.

Last edited by StarScream : 2nd December 2013 at 17:04.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:11   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Which dealership did you go to for Volvo? The dealer I went to in Gurgaon didn't have any car with an ex-showroom price of 23L. Otherwise would have gone for the S60 eyes closed since the difference will be huge between it and the 320d. The older S60 has 3-4L discount which can be stretched more I feel, but the ex-showroom price of the base model ( kinetic) is 27L approx taking the OTR price to 31L. On this you can get 3-4L discount. The summum and D5 are still costlier ofcourse. So please clarify where you got the 23L figure from?
Its S60 D4 kinetic and its pre facelift means its real exshowroom price is 27Lac. I did find out something sad today the car has done 1100Km but the branch manager said its just because it has traveled by road and I think they are trying to hand me a demo car.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:50   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The reason to disengage the transmission by putting it in N is to stop the engine from straining against the brakes and burning more fuel.
Sorry, beg to disagree here. The torque converter disengages when the brakes are pressed and at standstill. When I got my first AT car I also thought the same and tried out both methods religiously for one month each. There was no change in the FE at all either way. So now I don't really bother. If it is a long stop, I prefer to use handbrake and neutral to avoid fatigue of pressing the brake.

Please note the idle RPM when pressing the brakes in D or leaving it in N. It will be the same! If it is not, then there would be some issue. It is a characteristic of torque converters that once you release the brake and torque converter is engaged, there is lot of initial torque so it feels like you are holding back the car with the brake.

IMO the engine does NOT strain against the brakes or burn more fuel when the brake is pressed at standstill in D.
sandeep108 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:59   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post

Its S60 D4 kinetic and its pre facelift means its real exshowroom price is 27Lac. I did find out something sad today the car has done 1100Km but the branch manager said its just because it has traveled by road and I think they are trying to hand me a demo car.
That is the lamest excuse which will not even fool a 6 year old in today's generation. But if one is seriously thinking of buying this car can get an awesome deal buy negotiating hard with the cheque book on the table.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:23   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The S60 with a ex showroom of around 23Lac and 320d for 28Lac is not very far off from Passat. The 5Lac difference is negated by the fact that the S60 is pre-facelifted and the new model starts around the 30Lac range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Probably it could be the S60 D3 Kinetic variant. I remember the launch price of D3 variant was around 23-24 lakhs ex-showroom.
Quote:
Hi, Attaching the Volvo S60 price list given to me in Delhi a month ago for the pre facelifted model.

@vb-san: Sir you must be correct as the variant I am talking about is D4 kinetic that starts at 27L. But there is no mention of this 23L D3 variant, nor did the SA there mention anything about it. And she knew that I am considering Volvo over BMW only because of the price difference. So they might not have any stock of it or else they would have let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-1483581_10153535695640133_1540122033_n.jpg  

drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:56   #411
BHPian

That price list is correct the D4 kinetic model is being offered with 4Lac off but I think its a demo car will not try for a discount on the newer model since I did not like the new look "LED's on bumper is this a i20 :( "

I had asked about the possibilities of switching the new bumper with the old one but I was told its not possible since the mounts are different. Am going for a 320d test drive again and after that maybe the C-Class and Passat.
Old 4th December 2013, 07:52   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That price list is correct the D4 kinetic model is being offered with 4Lac off but I think its a demo car will not try for a discount on the newer model since I did not like the new look "LED's on bumper is this a i20 :( "

I had asked about the possibilities of switching the new bumper with the old one but I was told its not possible since the mounts are different. Am going for a 320d test drive again and after that maybe the C-Class and Passat.
The dealer in Delhi ( name mentioned above in the price list) had quite some stock of the older S60 with them. Infact I visited them 3 times during my car hunt in total within a span of 10 days and each time they had a couple of these older S60s ready for delivery with the ribbon et al. So people are indeed buying the older stock fast mostly owning to the higher discount. Having said that, if you can spend a little more then go for the 320d with eyes closed. The drive itself should blow any doubts away!
Old 10th December 2013, 00:06   #413
BHPian

Was test driving my friends 320d for almost 4-5 days straight. Parked directly under the sun all the days since there is no other parking space near my place. Now the iDrive screen is blank I just went to the market and it seems dead leaving it today at his place so that he can get it to the service center tomorrow.

Since the car is under warranty this should be covered?

Anyone had any such issue with the iDrive my friend says maybe its a battery issue anyway I am off to drop the car.
Old 10th December 2013, 10:08   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Was test driving my friends 320d for almost 4-5 days straight. Parked directly under the sun all the days since there is no other parking space near my place. Now the iDrive screen is blank I just went to the market and it seems dead leaving it today at his place so that he can get it to the service center tomorrow. Since the car is under warranty this should be covered? Anyone had any such issue with the iDrive my friend says maybe its a battery issue anyway I am off to drop the car.
My car too is regularly parked under the sun. I don't think that's it.

Maybe there's some other problem. In any case, I don't see any reason why it won't be covered under warranty.
Old 10th December 2013, 13:47   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
My car too is regularly parked under the sun. I don't think that's it.

Maybe there's some other problem. In any case, I don't see any reason why it won't be covered under warranty.
Apparently according to the service center guy there was an issue with the MASK unit after a bit of testing they are changing the CCC no idea what that is but since its under warranty I am happy.

My lesson learned don't test drive friends car more than a day or things might go kaput and it might come on your head. Extended warranty is a must for most German cars.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 22:24   #416
BHPian

This may not be right thread but I am not getting any responses on the used car price thread so reposting it here;

What should be a good price for BMW X5 2002 Petrol 3.0 x drive automatic run 60000 kms in good condition in Bangalore. It may not give a mileage of more than 5 in the city, and may be 8 on highway, maybe that is also the reason why it has run 60K kms in 11 years. My annual run will not exceed 10000 kms. But most important, is it worth a buy, what say guys.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:39   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
This may not be right thread but I am not getting any responses on the used car price thread so reposting it here; What should be a good price for BMW X5 2002 Petrol 3.0 x drive automatic run 60000 kms in good condition in Bangalore. It may not give a mileage of more than 5 in the city, and may be 8 on highway, maybe that is also the reason why it has run 60K kms in 11 years. My annual run will not exceed 10000 kms. But most important, is it worth a buy, what say guys.
In an 11 year old BMW which has run more than 60k fuel consumption will be your last worry. Repair bills may run into lacs per year. Unless the car is being offered to u at an almost free price (2-3 lacs) I Would advise you to stay away from it.

My valuation is purely based on the fact that a close friend just sold his 11 year old Mercedes S 320 petrol (it was purchased for 62L ) , done 70k odd Kms for 5 lacs. And this is after he just had the seats replaced last year for 3 lacs.

The car was costing a fortune just to keep it running.

An X5 is a petrol SUV and should fetch a lower price.
Old 11th December 2013, 23:12   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

In an 11 year old BMW which has run more than 60k fuel consumption will be your last worry. Repair bills may run into lacs per year. Unless the car is being offered to u at an almost free price (2-3 lacs) I Would advise you to stay away from it.

My valuation is purely based on the fact that a close friend just sold his 11 year old Mercedes S 320 petrol (it was purchased for 62L ) , done 70k odd Kms for 5 lacs. And this is after he just had the seats replaced last year for 3 lacs.

The car was costing a fortune just to keep it running.

An X5 is a petrol SUV and should fetch a lower price.
Even I thought so, this car was on tbhp adds sometime back and the asking price was 8L, which is high, I was thinking around 4-5 but did not account for such monstrous bills that may come with it. 1L / year was ok for me but not more.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:34   #419
BHPian

Guys,

How would you rate X1 Sport line against 320d Sport line?
Is X1 too far away from 320d in terms of driving dynamics or just marginal?
I haven't TDed X1 so far but would like to know your opinion.

The reasons due to which I am inclined towards X1 are:

1. Higher GC means I need not worry about roads even in monsoon.
2. More space in boot means I can take a space saver with me for those once a year long journeys.
3. Panoramic glass roof which my wife likes.
4. BMW apps which are absent in 320d Sport line. BTW, what is BMW live which is in 320d Sport line?
5. Navigation system professional which is absent in 320d Sport line.
6. Integrated iDrive instead of iPad like sticking out screen on 320d.
7. Last but not least, higher discounts on X1. Around 1.5-2L less than 320d for Sport line variant.

Share your thoughts please!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 11:45   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Guys,

How would you rate X1 Sport line against 320d Sport line?
Is X1 too far away from 320d in terms of driving dynamics or just marginal?
I haven't TDed X1 so far but would like to know your opinion.

The reasons due to which I am inclined towards X1 are:

1. Higher GC means I need not worry about roads even in monsoon.
2. More space in boot means I can take a space saver with me for those once a year long journeys.
3. Panoramic glass roof which my wife likes.
4. BMW apps which are absent in 320d Sport line. BTW, what is BMW live which is in 320d Sport line?
5. Navigation system professional which is absent in 320d Sport line.
6. Integrated iDrive instead of iPad like sticking out screen on 320d.
7. Last but not least, higher discounts on X1. Around 1.5-2L less than 320d for Sport line variant.

Share your thoughts please!
I think the X1 is a great buy with the present discounts, as long as you can live with the looks. Personally I find it looks fine, though some people hate it.

You should get about a 5l discount on the on-road price.

The driving dynamics of course aren't as good as the 3 series, but then for most part unless you are pushing it you won't notice it. If you do like to take corners really hard, then its gotta be the 3.

Its got more features than the 3 as you mentioned, but the 3 has real leather while this has leatherette. But navigation and the 12gb hard disk for music are great features, especially on long drives.

The boot I thought was smaller than the 3 series, do check.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks