Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 11:30   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

They simply can't meet the demand of the 328i in US and China as well as other global markets.
Old 16th November 2013, 13:07   #377
BHPian

Guys more confusion for me now, the dealer has thrown in an offer of pre facelift 530d. The exact price difference of this car with the non discounted 328i (if I wait till Jan) is just 7.5 lakhs.
And that cbu unit which is luxury line plus and not luxury comes to me at an on road of 38.5. It doesn't have sunroof which to me is a useless feature. Also I have taken TD of 525d (with paddle shifts) as well as 530d. The latter wins hands down. Personally I prefer the lighter f30 over the f10 but those countless extra features and my better half is pushing me closer to the 530d. Today will take out my friends 328i, that should make decision easier I hope.
Old 16th November 2013, 13:24   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
Thanks bro for the inputs. I did a one by one comparison in the spec sheet given by the dealer today. This particular car matches exactly with the luxury line plus model, except for the sunroof. It has larger idrive screen with navigation and rear view camera. I am only concerned with the fact that it's brought to india in early 2012, which means it's probably 2011 model. Reason for interest is obviously it being 328i and also saddle brown interior.
You do know that was a TD car right? Many people including me have really driven that car hard. I would stay away if I were you. Unless you get it for like 25l OTR or less don't even think about it.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th November 2013 at 13:25.
Old 17th November 2013, 09:34   #379
BHPian

I got my 320d Sportline delivered on Oct 28 and I got 3.5L as discounts (Corporate) and got the carpet mats and car cover thrown in as freebie. Went with Melbourne Red. Overall I am very impressed with the car as it is surely a pleasure on the roads. However, inside the city it does not matter and only good thing about it is it makes people turn their heads. Awesome beauty.

I have clocked closed to 1000kms with a couple of long drives. Cannot resist the urge to hit the pedal to escape the city limits. During a city drive, a stone hit the windscreen and it cracked and I am waiting to be replaced under insurance. But I have been driving around with it as the damage is not worse.

I upgraded from Innova (sold it for 7.2L, 2007 Jun model, 66K miles) and I definitely miss it during the heavy monsoon. Fear of hydrostatic lock makes me feel that I should have retained it.

Please suggest on how to prevent one, in case we have to drive on heavy rains. I was told to avoid water level up to the kidney grill as the air suction will suck water in. However, the common sense says if the position of the air suction is placed at such a low level, even a half foot puddle will be a disaster. As per the sales man statistics, BMWs, Audis and Merc suffered during the last monsoon and Merc had 60cars with that failure (BMW - 6, Audi - 7 or 8). Obviously to impress me. However it did the opposite as I was expecting a 0 :-)

PS: I have replaced the stock carpet mats with the 3D mats (costed me 8500) as they are easy to maintain and the stock mats are too sophisticated to our city driving.
vprabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 13:25   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You do know that was a TD car right? Many people including me have really driven that car hard. I would stay away if I were you. Unless you get it for like 25l OTR or less don't even think about it.
I was very specific in asking that question to the dealer about it being TD/demo car. He said it wasn't. Odometer reading is 20.2 km which he explains as driven at ports etc. Akshay, How is it that one can find out if it was actually a TD vehicle. It is unregistered as well. I also checked on VIN of the car which reveals the car manufacturing date as nov 2011 Munich.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:56   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
I was very specific in asking that question to the dealer about it being TD/demo car. He said it wasn't. Odometer reading is 20.2 km which he explains as driven at ports etc. Akshay, How is it that one can find out if it was actually a TD vehicle. It is unregistered as well. I also checked on VIN of the car which reveals the car manufacturing date as nov 2011 Munich.
If odo reading is 20.2 then it may not be a TD car. I remember the first batch of cars for display and TDs were all CBUs most in Luxury line (which was odd since 328s were not sold in Luxury line here). I remember that car having done over 100km when I drove it. So then it is not the same car.

Do ask why it was imported, whether it was a display car or what. And also why they are selling it after so long.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:14   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
I got my 320d Sportline delivered on Oct 28 and I got 3.5L as discounts (Corporate) and got the carpet mats and car cover thrown in as freebie. Went with Melbourne Red. Overall I am very impressed with the car as it is surely a pleasure on the roads. However, inside the city it does not matter and only good thing about it is it makes people turn their heads. Awesome beauty.

I have clocked closed to 1000kms with a couple of long drives. Cannot resist the urge to hit the pedal to escape the city limits. During a city drive, a stone hit the windscreen and it cracked and I am waiting to be replaced under insurance. But I have been driving around with it as the damage is not worse.

I upgraded from Innova (sold it for 7.2L, 2007 Jun model, 66K miles) and I definitely miss it during the heavy monsoon. Fear of hydrostatic lock makes me feel that I should have retained it.

Please suggest on how to prevent one, in case we have to drive on heavy rains. I was told to avoid water level up to the kidney grill as the air suction will suck water in. However, the common sense says if the position of the air suction is placed at such a low level, even a half foot puddle will be a disaster. As per the sales man statistics, BMWs, Audis and Merc suffered during the last monsoon and Merc had 60cars with that failure (BMW - 6, Audi - 7 or 8). Obviously to impress me. However it did the opposite as I was expecting a 0 :-)

PS: I have replaced the stock carpet mats with the 3D mats (costed me 8500) as they are easy to maintain and the stock mats are too sophisticated to our city driving.
The safest way would be to be to get an insurance package that covers Hydrostatic Locks. It costs about 10k more than a regular insurance package. Other than that there's very little you can do.

I don't think the F30 3 series can handle water levels upto the kidney grills. Would advise you be very careful even for water levels going above your bumpers.

BMW Original Rubber mats for 3 series cost Rs. 5500 from the showroom.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:52   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys how bad is this whole hydrostatic lock issue, now that I have booked my car so really interested in knowing it. Most cities in India do get some amount of water logging during rains and I have seen even Flyovers in Delhi have pools of water after a acute rain. Now how do you manage in such situations? Its very tough to judge the level of water unless it is really low or really high. And as it is these cars are low slung so most collected pools will reach upto there bumpers and more so after the reverberations in the water due to other traffic waddling through it. Is the only way to fight this is to ground the car during monsoons?
Old 19th November 2013, 11:40   #384
BHPian

Hi guys -- I was considering a petrol 3 series, but I was told by 'someone knowledgeable' that BMW's petrol engines are having trouble adapting to Indian fuel, and fuel pump problems are common.

Now this surprises me, because I havent heard this before. Do any of you know / have heard of this?

Specifically, I am looking at buying either a 328i or a used 330i.

Thanks!
Old 19th November 2013, 17:48   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys how bad is this whole hydrostatic lock issue, now that I have booked my car so really interested in knowing it. Most cities in India do get some amount of water logging during rains and I have seen even Flyovers in Delhi have pools of water after a acute rain. Now how do you manage in such situations? Its very tough to judge the level of water unless it is really low or really high. And as it is these cars are low slung so most collected pools will reach upto there bumpers and more so after the reverberations in the water due to other traffic waddling through it. Is the only way to fight this is to ground the car during monsoons?
If you've owned a toyota or honda in the past, you'll have to seriously alter your monsoon driving style. We usually have the habit of taking a calculated risk when it comes to drive thru water logged roads in a honda or toyota. And thanks to our good experience, we've made it a habit to always take this risk.

So here's the thing. Ive driven the F30 in upto 6-7 inches of water (just below bumper level). It was fine. Just had to be extra slow n cautious.

Have a cousin who bought a luxury plus in Dec 2012 (the one with lower GC), his car had a hydrostatic lock when he was driving through "just above bumper level" water in traffic.

After that i've kept my car indoors if there's been any heavy rain. Don't have the guts to take that kind of risk.

IMO,
1. Please ensure you have an insurance package which covers this.
2. Look for alternate routes when you come across a water logged stretch. I've done that and ended up discovering many new roads in the process LOL.
3. Ensure your tires have 34 PSI in the rains. Every mm of GC counts.

I have also been looking for any possibilities to increase the height of the air intakes (don't know if its possible at all).Any help from experts here would be appreciated
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 19:20   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As long as you are careful, you will be fine. Though you can't drive it like the Altis through water. Honestly anything more than a few inches, just try and find an alternate route. I don't know about Delhi, but in Mumbai one generally knows which places get waterlogged often, and I just avoid those if its rained heavily. No need to ground the car, but use it selectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Hi guys -- I was considering a petrol 3 series, but I was told by 'someone knowledgeable' that BMW's petrol engines are having trouble adapting to Indian fuel, and fuel pump problems are common.

Now this surprises me, because I havent heard this before. Do any of you know / have heard of this?

Thanks!
Not that I have heard of. As long as you fill from a reputed petrol pump you are doing fine. Both cars run perfectly on regular fuel, but if you fill 97 you will see some benefits.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 00:12   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post

Thanks!
check for availability with the showrooms in your city because in delhi new stock of 328i's isnt expected before March 2014.
white_vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 01:32   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Guys how bad is this whole hydrostatic lock issue, now that I have booked my car so really interested in knowing it.
The complimentary BMW secure policy covers it in the first year. Have to check on the cost of renewing that for the subsequent years. The good part is it hardly rains in Delhi when compared to Mumbai, so we should be safe for most of the time. I did not take the car out on one of the days when it rained heavily.

On another note, has anyone installed corona rings on Halogen headlamps? I saw a site offering LED rings for USD 300 but we have to get it installed ourselves. Will the installation process be easy? I am assuming none of the authorized dealers would do it. Also, will installing the rings in the headlight affect the BSI?
Old 20th November 2013, 07:51   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
... No need to ground the car, but use it selectively.
...and if you have to use it absolutely, fear that there may be a Hydrostatic lock/water ingres into the engine then just remove the Air Filter cover for that short ride (say time important/dropping to Airport etc).

The Air Filter cover sits on the top. Just underneath the bonnet so it is relatively much higher than actual air intake located at the grille level. You will definately know when the water is rising up to that level.

Works for nearly all cars.

Do remember to put the cover back.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 18:53   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post

On another note, has anyone installed corona rings on Halogen headlamps? I saw a site offering LED rings for USD 300 but we have to get it installed ourselves. Will the installation process be easy? I am assuming none of the authorized dealers would do it. Also, will installing the rings in the headlight affect the BSI?
Sigh. That's wishful thinking. Retrofitting the rings is not going to be an easy DIY and may just give the service guys a reason to void your warranties. Please do let me know if you do find some one who can do it for you. I am kicking myself for picking a car just 4 weeks prior to introduction of the rings on the baseline. I did write to BMW to ask they can retrofit the complete light assembly with corona rings. They denied. I am thinking of changing the yellow DRL lamp to white xenon lamp... At least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks