Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 12:13   #1051
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Hi guys,

I booked the new facelifted BMW 320d prestige model from Navnit Motors Bangalore.
CONGRATULATIONS....
I am in the queue but couldn't quite decide between 320i or C250D.
Would like to PM you for some finer details of the deal, Dos/Don't during the deal.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:10   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
CONGRATULATIONS....
I am in the queue but couldn't quite decide between 320i or C250D.
Would like to PM you for some finer details of the deal, Dos/Don't during the deal.
Sure feel free to PM me....I'm guessing PM means private message?
Old 26th July 2016, 14:10   #1053
BHPian

Something stupid happened just now. It's raining heavily here in Delhi so I asked my driver to move my 320d to a shaded place.

He is used to driving a manual but has driven my 320d many times in the past. Oddly enough today I saw that as he was trying to park the car. The engine kept revving and the car was barely moving.

I quickly rushed downstairs and saw that he had his left foot on the brake assuming it was the clutch and right on the accelerator trying to move the car.

I immediately stopped him but at this point he had done this for a good 30 seconds. I moved the car myself then and it seemed fine.

But now I am concerned of he caused any damage somewhere internal that iam not aware of. Has anyone here faced something like this?

Would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th July 2016, 15:12   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I hope that the car was not in 'D' or 'R' while your driver was doing these antics, if it was, you should thank your stars that nothing major happened. Launching this car with brake pedal pressed and revvs up could have been disastrous.

Do not worry about any damage due to engine being revved, the car is not so delicate and it can easily take these odd instances. The only precaution after such an episode could have been to let the car idle for 30-40 secs and let turbo spin down, just relax and please ask your driver to be cautious.

Had a friend who did some thing similar in traffic and he mashed the brakes believing it to be clutch, the car was rear ended badly.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 15:28   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I quickly rushed downstairs and saw that he had his left foot on the brake assuming it was the clutch and right on the accelerator trying to move the car.
That's how you do launch control on the car to get best acceleration times. Foot on brake, rev till 3K rpm, foot off brake and whoooosh.

It puts a lot of stress on transmission so that's the only issue here but I don't think you anything will be damaged. gearboxes are not so delicate.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:12   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Something stupid happened just now. It's raining heavily here in Delhi so I asked my driver to move my 320d to a shaded place.

He is used to driving a manual but has driven my 320d many times in the past. Oddly enough today I saw that as he was trying to park the car. The engine kept revving and the car was barely moving.

I immediately stopped him but at this point he had done this for a good 30 seconds. I moved the car myself then and it seemed fine.

But now I am concerned of he caused any damage somewhere internal that iam not aware of. Has anyone here faced something like this?

No need to worry, such a short time would not have really done any damage. Though do make sure he doesn't drive the vehicle again without some practice with maybe you sitting next to him
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 22:13   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I hope that the car was not in 'D' or 'R' while your driver was doing these antics, if it was, you should thank your stars that nothing major happened.
It was definitely in D. Upon my arrival he told me that there must be a brick or something holding the wheels as it doesn't seem to be moving.

I look at his left leg and it was firmly placed on the brake. I pointed at that and said - "You think that's the clutch, don't you" and then the expression on his face was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's how you do launch control on the car to get best acceleration times. Foot on brake, rev till 3K rpm, foot off brake and whoooosh.

It puts a lot of stress on transmission so that's the only issue here but I don't think you anything will be damaged. gearboxes are not so delicate.
This is what I was wondering too. I think 320d does have brakes on all 4 wheels right? But I've seen people doing wheel spins. How do they manage that if brakes hold all 4 wheels?

Does it work when you turn the traction control off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
No need to worry, such a short time would not have really done any damage. Though do make sure he doesn't drive the vehicle again without some practice with maybe you sitting next to him
Lol. The funny thing is, I did let him drive it a few times during the initial run. My plan was to move it myself, but I was already dressed to go some place and couldn't risk getting myself wet.

My driver got pretty wet in the rain while trying to get into the car and I guess in that rush completely forgot which car he was in.

It's a relief to know that this doesn't affect anything that drastically.

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. Appreciate it.
Old 27th July 2016, 13:58   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I was wondering too. I think 320d does have brakes on all 4 wheels right? But I've seen people doing wheel spins. How do they manage that if brakes hold all 4 wheels?

Does it work when you turn the traction control off?
Hey Rahul.

Well, it is pretty simple. The brakes at the back are smaller and the front ones are bigger. Always. (well in most cars that I know of).
Also, your BMW being a read wheel drive car, all the power goes to the back wheels and since the brakes can not hold it steady, you get a burnout

And yes, traction control has to be off for that and only then your wheels start losing the traction and you get a burnout. Else the engine will keep cutting the power to the rear wheels in order to minimise the stress on the tranny.

As the rest have already told you, do not worry. There won't be any damage and that is literally how you do a Launch Control.

I remember giving my Merc once to my friend who wanted to drive it, he always drove a manual. Just when we were coasting at about 50 kmph, he slammed the brakes hard enough that even though I was wearing my seatbelt, I literally felt my ribs bulge in a little.
Reason? He thought the brake pedal was the clutch

Be extra cautious because such instances can really get one into a bad accident, as other members have said above.

Luv.

Last edited by Luv_Jaiswal : 27th July 2016 at 14:04.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 22:15   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post

I remember giving my Merc once to my friend who wanted to drive it, he always drove a manual. Just when we were coasting at about 50 kmph, he slammed the brakes hard enough that even though I was wearing my seatbelt, I literally felt my ribs bulge in a little.
Reason? He thought the brake pedal was the clutch
Ouch! That does indeed sound pretty dangerous.

In the recent past, I did let a couple of my relatives test drive my car and they were by habit moving their left foot slightly, however, luckily didn't hit the brake paddle.

I can now see how this can be pretty darn dangerous especially if you are in the middle of the traffic doing regular road speeds. Will definitely be extra cautious while letting someone else take my car out for a spin.
rahul_jo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:56   #1060
BHPian

Went to the service center since the underbody plastic part somehow got damaged (I am guessing a nasty bump near my place) and fell off in the rains. It started scraping and made a horrendous sound and for a second because of the levels of the water the engine or something huge is amiss. Suddenly saw a part detach from the bottom and the noise went away, got the part and turns out it is the underbody protection plate. Luckily the cost was around 6000 including fixing charges and it should arrive from Germany this week.

While at the workshop, they were insistent on me getting mudflaps and I agreed. Was told the cost would be 12000/- but luckily when the bill came out it was only 7000/-.
Old 31st July 2016, 18:37   #1061
BHPian

I took the delivery of 320i luxury line last week. (Special thanks to Coolboy007 and Drmohitg; and several other members who wrote their experience in team-bhp). I like the super-silent engine (compared to pre LCI diesel, which I test drove) and the mileage shows 8 km/l with average speed around 20 mph. I will calculate exact mileage using tankful method once I fill the tank. During the short time, I like the drive and the silent cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_1139.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_1140b.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_1141b.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_1142b.jpg  

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 31st July 2016 at 18:53.
Fstlndrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 21:30   #1062
BHPian

Congratulations on a nice car. I think it is much better option to the 320d. A close friend of mine has the same model. He bought it a couple of years back when BMW got it to India for a limited time only.

I am also waiting very patiently for a petrol engine 3 series albeit with a little more power. A red colour with black interiors is the one I am waiting for.
Strella is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 23:28   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
I took the delivery of 320i luxury line last week. (Special thanks to Coolboy007 and Drmohitg; and several other members
Congrats on your petrol powered 3 buddy, looks great in the imperial blue shade. As per the manual, BMW recommends to keep revvs under 3500 rpm during running in period so keep that in check, it is impossible to judge speed in this car, 120 feels like 80-90.
Do get the tyre pressures checked from a reliable gauge and keep it at realistic levels, bmw recommended 36-37 is too high for our roads. Drive safe and let's hit NH1 on a sunday morning for some piping hot breakfast.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 17:28   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
Congratulations on a nice car. I think it is much better option to the 320d. A close friend of mine has the same model. He bought it a couple of years back when BMW got it to India for a limited time only.

I am also waiting very patiently for a petrol engine 3 series albeit with a little more power. A red colour with black interiors is the one I am waiting for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congrats on your petrol powered 3 buddy, looks great in the imperial blue shade. As per the manual, BMW recommends to keep revvs under 3500 rpm during running in period so keep that in check, it is impossible to judge speed in this car, 120 feels like 80-90.
Do get the tyre pressures checked from a reliable gauge and keep it at realistic levels, bmw recommended 36-37 is too high for our roads. Drive safe and let's hit NH1 on a sunday morning for some piping hot breakfast.
Thank you Strella and coolboy007.
Even I was waiting for 330i. Then changed my mind since that will cost above 40 lakh ex-showroom and daily commute in Delhi, the speed is usually low. Hence decided to take 320i. I really miss the head-up display in this car.
I am still not comfortable in driving this car after moving from Honda city. Daily commute has too much traffic and am more careful not to scratch the new car. I agree with you that the speed feels lot less than the actual speed. The dealer said he has set up the tire pressure at 33 psi at back and 32 in the front. Is it fine or should I keep 32 psi all around or any other suggested pressures? Thanks.
Old 1st August 2016, 23:08   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
I am still not comfortable in driving this car after moving from Honda city. Daily commute has too much traffic and am more careful not to scratch the new car.
Many congratulations on the new ride. Speaking from personal experience let me guarantee something.

Once you get the hang of it, the low riding position, amazing visibility all around and the feeling of total control at the driver's seat, most other cars will feel pretty average to drive compared to the 3 series.

Every once in a while I drive my elantra and although it's a decent enough car, I just feel horrible driving it.

As weird as it sounds, a 3 series makes you feel like you're sitting in the car, while my elantra and most other cars make me feel like I am sitting on top of a box.

That driving experience and that connection you feel to the machine is pretty unique in a BMW.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks