Team-BHP - Jaguar F-Type : Driven
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Jaguar F-Type : Driven (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136782-jaguar-f-type-driven-5.html)

To be launched on 8th July in 2 engine variants - Supercharged V6 and V8.
$$ needed to possess this beast will be in range of 70 lacs to 1crore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhijeetsng (Post 3163083)
To be launched on 8th July in 2 engine variants - Supercharged V6 and V8.
$$ needed to possess this beast will be in range of 70 lacs to 1crore.

I like your optimism. :D

Don't expect it to be priced under 1.2 crores exclusive of optional equipment / road tax / registration / insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3163129)
I like your optimism. :D

Don't expect it to be priced under 1.2 crores exclusive of optional equipment / road tax / registration / insurance.

Yeah actually, there are two prices which are coming up in various news items. one being 70 lacs to 1 crore and other being 1.3-1.5 crore.

As you say, I chose to be optimistic. :D

Was passing by the JLR Dealership today, saw 2 cars covered with a red cloth. Perhaps 2 F-Types have already arrived in Mumbai :)

Am I the only one who thinks that Jaguar's current direction is less Jaguar and more Aston Martin wannabe?

F Type launched;

Jaguar F-Type : Driven-484715_10152041968882067_2093953061_n.jpg

Prices announced as Rs 1.37cr for the V6S, & the V8S for Rs 1.61cr (Ex-showroom, Mumbai)

IMO thats way too steep :eek:

Source: ACI (FB Page)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 3172338)
IMO thats way too steep :eek:

Why do you say that??

It is considerably cheaper and quite a good bit better than a similar 911 Carrera S. In fact even the full on V8S is cheaper than the Carrera S.

You may say its costlier than a Boxter S, but it is also considerably more powerful and far far more stylish.

The Audi R8 V10 Spyder is also much costlier than the V8s. The V8S with 490hp is not far off from the R8 V10s 525hp.

I agree with Karan, it is pretty steep. But I wasn't expecting anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 3172388)
It is considerably cheaper and quite a good bit better than a similar 911 Carrera S. In fact even the full on V8S is cheaper than the Carrera S.

You may say its costlier than a Boxter S, but it is also considerably more powerful and far far more stylish.

Why do you say that it's better than a 991 Carrera S?

And by the way, the 991 is also priced similarly. The F-Type is NOT considerably cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 3172388)
Why do you say that??

The Audi R8 V10 Spyder is also much costlier than the V8s. The V8S with 490hp is not far off from the R8 V10s 525hp.

I say this after i see this (US Pricing);

Jaguar F-Type : Driven-f-type.jpg

^ Also note the price differential between V6 S & V8 S is a mere $ 11k (< Rs 7 Lakhs )

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3172401)
Why do you say that it's better than a 991 Carrera S?

And by the way, the 991 is also priced similarly. The F-Type is NOT considerably cheaper.

The 911 Carrera S Cabriolet is 1.7cr, while the F-Type V6S is 1.37cr. May be 33lakh rupees is not considrable in your books, but it is in mine. Even the 15Lakh extra for the 1.52cr price of the 911 Carrera S is considerable in my books.

As for it being better, that is more a matter of personal choice. For me, the 911 is just too boring, too long in the tooth. The low end grunt of the Jag engine will also mean that you can probably have more fun on a daily drive in the Jag than in the 911. But most of all, the F-type is a far far more stylish vehicle, it has that X-factor that the Porsche is missing in my view.

I will pick the F-type V8S over an Audi R8 V10 even, but like I said that is more of a personal choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 3172406)
I say this after i see this (US Pricing);

Attachment 1107316

^ Also note the price differential between V6 S & V8 S is a mere $ 11k (< Rs 7 Lakhs )

:)

The prices in India are obviously thanks to the steep taxes. Also, you may see the prices in US also mention a "starting from" part. While in India they are pretty much fixed. It is possible that the Indian V8S is kitted up to the gills, while the V6S is not.

Like I said, compared to prices of similar vehicles in India, the prices are not too high.

Link to News Section

Jaguar-Land Rover, a British luxury car and SUV marque owned by Tata Motors, has just launched the F-Type sportscar in India. The F-Type is Jaguar's second sportscar line, after the XKR series that comes in coupe and convertible guises. The coupe version of the F-Type is in the works and is expected to see a global launch shortly. In India, the F-Type convertible sportscar will be aimed at buyers whose other options are the likes of the Porsche Boxster and the Cayman S.

Jaguar F-Type : Driven-jaguar-ftype-1.jpg

The two seater car comes with three petrol engines internationally. For India though, Jaguar has launched the F-Type with two engine options: a 3 liter V6 and a 5 liter V8. Both motors are supercharged, with the V6 engine outputting 380 PS of peak power while the V8 outputs 495 PS. Both engines are mated to a 8 speed automatic gearbox, with a quick shift feature as standard. Also, high compression, direct injection and variable camshaft timing are standard on both the engines.

The V6 engined model is called the F-Type S while the V8 engined model gets the V8S badge. The V6 engined Jaguar F-Type will hit the 100 Kph mark from standstill in 4.9 seconds, with the V8S version bettering the former timing by 0.6 seconds. Top speeds for the V6 and V8S are 275 Kph and 300 Kph respectively. The car is imported into the country through the completely built unit (CBU) route, and will be sold through all Jaguar-Land Rover dealerships across India.

Jaguar F-Type : Driven-jaguar-ftype-2.jpg

The F-Type's feature set includes the fuel economy boosting-emission cutting active start-stop system, an active exhaust that modulates the exhaust note depending on the throttle position, launch control for track use, limited slip differential (for the S model), electronic differential (for the V8S model), Jaguar Adaptive Dynamics Suspension and an all-aluminum body shell.

Leather wrapped interiors, a Meridian stereo system and an LCD infotainment module are standard items in the asymmetric, driver focused cockpit. Safety features such as ABS, EBD, ESP, Airbags and Traction Control are also standard on all variants of the F-Type sportscar. Meanwhile, here are the prices of the F-Type's two variants that have just been launched in India.

Jaguar F-Type S: 1.37 Crore Rupees

Jaguar F-Type V8S: 1.61 Crore Rupees

Both prices reflect ex-showroom Mumbai figures, pre-octroi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 3172437)
The 911 Carrera S Cabriolet is 1.7cr, while the F-Type V6S is 1.37cr. May aboy 33lakh rupees is not considrable in your books, but it is in mine.

Ah you see, I was under the impression that we're comparing the Carrera S to the F, and not the Cabriolet. But considering that the F is a convertible, it makes more sense to compare the convertible. :)

Yes, the the 991 Cab is more expensive, but is it really 1.7 crores? I don't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 3172437)
As for it being better, that is more a matter of personal choice. For me, the 911 is just too boring, too long in the tooth. The low end grunt of the Jag engine will also mean that you can probably have more fun on a daily drive in the Jag than in the 911. But most of all, the F-type is a far far more stylish vehicle, it has that X-factor that the Porsche is missing in my view...

Well, I was looking at it objectively. I haven't driven either of them, so I can't come to a conclusion without having a look at the spec sheets.

On paper, the Carrera S trumps both the V6 and V8. Sure, the Supercharged V8 makes around 90 horsepower more. More than what? A naturally aspirated 6 cylinder engine?! Despite being supercharged and having two extra cylinders, the overall performance is about the same! And what about the V6S? Despite applying forced induction, they haven't been able to match the outright power of the naturally aspirated flat-6 in the 911. This, in my opinion, is a testament to Porsche engineering! Not to mention the added practicality (usable boot and back seat) of the 911.

EDIT: Let's not forget that the 911 Carrera is the ONLY sports car that's available with a manual transmission. So if you want a MT, no other car will cut it. And just for this, the 911 has the edge.

But you do have a point. Outright power isn't everything! The Carrera lacks useful bottom-end grunt. The F will be more 'usable' thanks to its peaky torque-delivery. And yes, it looks fantastic. It's fresh and certainly a worthy alternative to the 911. But in no way is it 'better' if you look at it objectively. Both cars have their pros and cons.

If I were in the market for a 2 crore sports car, I would already own a car with peaky bottom-end performance for daily driving. I'd want something naturally aspirated and preferably with a manual tranny. I wouldn't be driving it regularly, so peaky bottom-end wouldn't matter, really.

Regardless of the fact that they got the pricing way off (worldwide), it's been a selling like hotcakes everywhere else. I sincerely hope the trend follows in India as well. Yes, it's twice the price, but from my eyes at least it blows the competition out of the water in the looks department.

Please, please, please tell me they're offering the complete range of rims here!

Autocar Review of the F-type in India!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAh3Gh_dyns

Oh! Those numbers look really expensive. Maybe I am really out of touch with the prices/ taxes for imports in our country.

The coupe when its launched should be cheaper right?