Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2015, 15:00   #1726
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I am a novice on this topic. Does this look like it has any more life left? Till date the do reads at 37000 odd kms.

Attachment 1366998
Attachment 1366999

I drive 95% on highways, and cannot compromise with loss in grip. Contemplating an upgrade to PS3 225/50/16. I doubt if the rim will be able to accommodate the tyre.

I had moved from the stock to Pirelli P7 stock size. Car looked under tyred even then as the pirellis show thinner profiles on their treads. So then moved to 225/55/16, ofcourse incorrect size but here is what the 225 trouble was. The tyres are actually too broad for the rims and the problem showed up when I went to get them changed back to a recommended size of 215/55/16. So in my honest opinion, stick to 215/55/16. 225 is actually an over kill and not rim friendly for this car.

Im using Yokohama decibels and they have an extra lip around the rim which helps keeps curbs away from the rim too.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 15:04   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
The problem I am facing is not in braking, but in hard acceleration. It spins a lot more than what it should, not only on wet or sandy surfaces, but on proper roads as well. Since its front wheel drive, and I do take the car to its limits at times, off the line acceleration is affected. I also feel bumpiness on speeds above 100 km/h, I crossed 120 km/h for an overtake manoeuvre only for 10 seconds or so, and I could feel the tyres judder. I haven't had any punctures on the tyres yet. The life is definitely much to talk about though. Noise levels are average, not something that is intrusive in any manner.
Tyre judder is unusual, I never faced such issues, but for a powerful car they spin, for me it started at 40000kms, but only so much. But if it is behaving like this even at 100-120kms/hr speeds, better change, forget about its life-tread wear, you might as well get some decent money on exchange too. Get the best now, no compromises, get Pirelli, life will be less, about 10000kms lesser than Michs, but the grips are amazing.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 15:13   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Then stick to the stock size and upgrade to P3STs, they will get the job done for you.
I've said it before, but once again, last question - this time for real

How do the Michelin P3STs match up against the Pirelli P7s?
Old 4th May 2015, 15:14   #1729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am a novice on this topic. Does this look like it has any more life left? Till date the do reads at 37000 odd kms.

Attachment 1366998
Attachment 1366999

I drive 95% on highways, and cannot compromise with loss in grip. Contemplating an upgrade to PS3 225/50/16. I doubt if the rim will be able to accommodate the tyre.
They do seem to have some life left, but 37k is a long time and the monsoons are on their way here. I would suggest you change, the stock rims will just about take 225/50, not to worry.

Edit- Adi the Octy also has 6.5j rims like my Laura, and my Laura has been running 225s on the stock rims perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post

Frankly I've not used both enough to give you a proper comparison, but they are marketed towards the same segment. The Pirellis would be a bit more premium while the Michelins would last a bit longer and even be slightly stronger (considering the P3ST is made for Asian markets).

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 4th May 2015 at 15:38.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 15:18   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post

From what info I was given during my tyres shopping spree, the P7 have a more comfortable ride and are softer than the Michs.
Old 4th May 2015, 16:14   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
From what info I was given during my tyres shopping spree, the P7 have a more comfortable ride and are softer than the Michs.
I have definitely decided that I shall opt for 225, not 215. Since you first tried 225/55 it might have been that bit difficult to get the tyre on/off the rim, I think 225/50 will just about do it. Also Pirelli is expensive, and I have used Yokohama extensively on a Laura, Innova and Verna, I found them to be too soft and on one of the cars there was tyre bulging too, so I am not so keen on Yokos. As far as I know, Yoko is not even in the market for 225/50 - decibels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
They do seem to have some life left, but 37k is a long time and the monsoons are on their way here. I would suggest you change, the stock rims will just about take 225/50, not to worry.

Edit- Adi the Octy also has 6.5j rims like my Laura, and my Laura has been running 225s on the stock rims perfectly.
Yes! Sticking to the original choice of 225/50/16 PS3. Although its subject to availability. Its gonna take at least 15 days for the local tyre dealer to procure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Tyre judder is unusual, I never faced such issues, but for a powerful car they spin, for me it started at 40000kms, but only so much. But if it is behaving like this even at 100-120kms/hr speeds, better change, forget about its life-tread wear, you might as well get some decent money on exchange too. Get the best now, no compromises, get Pirelli, life will be less, about 10000kms lesser than Michs, but the grips are amazing.
I understand Pirelli is better, but it is quite expensive, and will not last as long as the Michs. I am hoping that the judder is only because of tyres, and not any other issue, haven't changed the brake pads either, yet.
Old 4th May 2015, 16:20   #1732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Adi,

Your tyres have enough tread depth to go past 50,000 kms . But if you feel they lack grip, its good to change. I had 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy LC, before I changed to 225/50/16 Michelin PS3. The PS3s are in a different league altogether in terms of grip and steering feel and the highway is where this tyre's abilities shine through. If you drive 95% on the highway start hunting for a set of 225/50 PS3s ASAP. I cannot recommend a more sutiable tyre for you.

Problem is PS3s are in short supply and I think Michelin is not producing/ importing them as dealers are carrying unsold stock. I am on my second set of PS3s. The first set lasted about 28,000 kms. Unfortunately I could not find latest manufactured ones this time and had to settle for a 2011 set. I too drive on the highway a lot and with my current running, each set lasts me 2 years only. These tyres are unbelievably good when they are new. Postr 20,000 kms or so the ride becomes a bit stiff as the rubber hardens up.

Only downside of these tyres is the tyre life. Don't expect more than 25 to 30,000 kms life from these tyres. But gripwise they are stupendous. These tyres saved me once from a sure shot collision on the highway. So when it was time for replacement, I just went and got another set .

PS : My rims are 7.0J. But I think 6.5J rims can take 225s. I've seen many Lauras running this size.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th May 2015 at 16:23.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 16:40   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hi Adi,

Your tyres have enough tread depth to go past 50,000 kms . But if you feel they lack grip, its good to change.Unfortunately I could not find latest manufactured ones this time and had to settle for a 2011 set.PS : My rims are 7.0J. But I think 6.5J rims can take 225s. I've seen many Lauras running this size.
Thanks for the tip! I placed the order, but the dealer obviously doesn't have it in stock, and he says it should come in 2 weeks time. That means my car will reach 38000 mark when the actual tyre upgrade takes place, which I feel is a good time to change tyres. If my run would have been restricted to city, I would keep these tyres for another 10K kms. Could you post a picture of the tyre, and how the profile looks on road? Only if it's not too much of an ask.
Old 4th May 2015, 17:23   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
I understand Pirelli is better, but it is quite expensive, and will not last as long as the Michs. I am hoping that the judder is only because of tyres, and not any other issue, haven't changed the brake pads either, yet.
Such behaviour at only 100-120 kms/hr speeds may not be just the tyres, get the front suspension, steering assembly and brake assembly checked. Aggressive highway driving may need change of brake pads at 35-40K kms. Are the brakes squeaking? or is the car acting nervous under heavy sudden braking? I changed the pads at 35K kms, along with the tyres. About the pads I suggest look at one supplier listed on Tbhp ads from Goa [Amit I guess] who imports Brembo pads and is quite reasonable too, I paid about Rs. 15,000/- for set of 4 with sensors for my E280 CDI, which otherwise would have cost me nothing less than Rs.40,000/- at MB service. And they are working just fine.

When I changed tyres on my E280 CDI last year, in Bangalore I had only 2 decent options in 225/55/r16, one was the P3ST and Pirelli P7, you will be surprised that P3ST was more expensive by about Rs.1,500/- each. I paid about 44K for 4 for the P7 and P3ST was costing about 50K for 4. And PS3 was just not available that time. I am assuming the PS3 will be an excellent tyre but it will certainly cost you more than these, life will be much lesser than P3ST, may be marginally lesser than P7 also. I expect the P7 to do 35-40K kms max on E280 since it will be pushing 440Nm of torque on the rear wheels, cumilatively carrying about 2000 kgs, the 3000cc V6 is also fairly heavy for the front tyres. P7 is appropriately soft, in 55 profile it is reasonably stiff yet very comfortable, no excessive sidewall flex in potholes and fast curves. Do your research on pricing and availability for all 3. Your car definitely needs bigger tyres too, go for 225.
Old 4th May 2015, 17:57   #1735
BHPian

Amit is a great guy. I have already received my front set of Pads for the Octy from him. They are the same ones used in the A3. Also, Adi, if your brake pads need replacement, the caution sign ondash for it will light up as it has a wear sensor that triggers once it reaches the point for replacement. However, if the judder is on braking only, 99% its a warped disc. The other possibilities are that you have uneven tyre wear or your rims arent trued. I faced this when I had bought thailand made rims way back for my zen and they were not centered. Used to get serious judder on braking and discs checked out ok. Finally spotted the defect when I was getting the balancing done. I saw the tyre show an up down wobble and zeroed down to the rim. So you have three things to check apart from moving to further areas such as bush joint and suspension etc.
Old 4th May 2015, 21:06   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Finally spotted the defect when I was getting the balancing done. I saw the tyre show an up down wobble and zeroed down to the rim. So you have three things to check apart from moving to further areas such as bush joint and suspension etc.
Braking is definitely still strong, and I don't think it needs a replacement as of now. As I said, judder is while running, not while braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Do your research on pricing and availability for all 3. Your car definitely needs bigger tyres too, go for 225.
The PS3 is priced here at 12K a piece. I think it is an okay price for the demand the tyre has, along with lack of availability. Have placed an order, hoping it is delivered soon to the dealer's warehouse.
Old 4th May 2015, 21:34   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
The PS3 is priced here at 12K a piece. I think it is an okay price for the demand the tyre has, along with lack of availability. Have placed an order, hoping it is delivered soon to the dealer's warehouse.
Price seems to be good, PS3 I am sure is very good on grip, you are good to go.
Old 5th May 2015, 07:26   #1738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you post a picture of the tyre, and how the profile looks on road? Only if it's not too much of an ask.
Here you go. These are a few images which I had posted in my Laura thread.

Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 09:10   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Here you go. These are a few images which I had posted in my Laura thread.

Looks brilliant! Next step for me will be getting Bilstein set up and lower the car. Is it possible to remap the ECU without increasing torque stress on the gearbox? The maximum limit of DQ200 box is about 300 NM but I don't want to test it to its limits. Times like these I wish I had a manual box.
Old 5th May 2015, 10:03   #1740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks brilliant! Next step for me will be getting Bilstein set up and lower the car. Is it possible to remap the ECU without increasing torque stress on the gearbox? The maximum limit of DQ200 box is about 300 NM but I don't want to test it to its limits. Times like these I wish I had a manual box.
I think the max limit of the DQ200 7DSG is 250nm, which is why the max torque is limited to 250 NM in the new Octavia although the power is bumped up from 160 PS to 180 PS compared to last get 1.8 TSI. This increase in max power is due to the fact that max torque is delivered across a wider RPM range.

I think the idea of getting a remap is too increase the torque rating at specific rpms. Increase in Max power is then incidental. I don't think you can go beyond 250nm with the DQ200 box.

I would highly recommend Bilstein B6 dampers though. It'll completely change the character of your car. If you want to lower the car, then you will need to get lowering springs too. I haven't gone for lowering springs as I did not want to lose out on GC. It is impossible to live with a low GC car in Bangalore.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks