Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 11:44   #1831
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHP View Post
Thank you Rutvij - really appreciate all your help!!

It looks like private messages are available only for BHPian membership level and above while I am still a Newbie :-) If you don't mind can you PM me your e-mail ID and I will write to you on that from my e-mail ID?
You have chosen not to receive emails as well as messages. Pl make changes in your user settings.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 12:00   #1832
Team-BHP Support

/OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHP View Post
It looks like private messages are available only for BHPian membership level and above while I am still a Newbie :-) If you don't mind can you PM me your e-mail ID and I will write to you on that from my e-mail ID?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
You have chosen not to receive emails as well as messages. Pl make changes in your user settings.
Guys, newbie members (posts < 25) cannot send or receive PMs. One of you can share your email ID/contact number here and report the post to have it removed later.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 12:19   #1833
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Monsoon has arrived and so has problem of water logging in many of the areas. I have heard stories about German Cars' engine failures and other problems if driven in water logged areas.

My insurance covers such damages but I would like to stay clear of it. Are there any such reported issues with Octavia? What precautions should I take while driving my Octavia in water logged areas.

Last edited by rutvij : 26th June 2015 at 12:23.
Old 26th June 2015, 12:56   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Monsoon has arrived and so has problem of water logging in many of the areas. I have heard stories about German Cars' engine failures and other problems if driven in water logged areas.

My insurance covers such damages but I would like to stay clear of it. Are there any such reported issues with Octavia? What precautions should I take while driving my Octavia in water logged areas.

If you have an SUV, use it. Keep the Skoda parked in your garage in heavy Rains. However if you must drive, don't enter the areas where the water level is more than a quarter of your car's wheel height. That's my rule of thumb.
Last year I was stuck near Amdavadi. Water level was way higher than half of the wheel, the whole front was submerged in water including headlights, and I could not reverse too. I saw a Wagon r, a Santro and a Zen pass it with ease. I stick it in manual and 1st gear, took a deep breath, and passed it. Apart from a loose number plate, nothing else happened.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 16:31   #1835
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I am already on Innova since 3-4 days.

I am trying to search for water damage issues with VW and Skoda cars on net. Even a class suit was filed in US against VW. The problem seems more with the cars of earlier generation. But still it is better to be cautious.
Old 26th June 2015, 21:37   #1836
Senior - BHPian

The cars made currently are pretty much world proof! Another tip, don't pull the hand brake when parking the car in a water logged street. Even less water, it's not advised. The mechanism can get jammed.
Old 27th June 2015, 14:24   #1837
BHPian

This is what I found from the manual. Effectively it says that one should not drive from water if the water level is more than ground clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-page-1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-page-2.jpg  

rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 01:33   #1838
BHPian

I have been contemplating on booking an Octavia 1.8tsi for the past few months now and have not been able to decide, visited Autobahn Mumbai dealership to have another look at it and suddenly noticed something different on the Octavia on display, It had a body kit. Skoda has apparently launched a new body kit as an OEM accessory for the Octavia which includes front, rear and side skirts as well as the door sill for all 4 doors. They have priced it at 80k.

Trust me the skirts look hot on the car especially the one on the front, nothing over the top and very elegant will look even better on dark coloured cars. Really sorry guys in all my excitement I forgot to click some pics.

Now hoping that I am able to make up mind and book one soon with the kit

Last edited by vvb8530 : 28th June 2015 at 01:36.
Old 29th June 2015, 19:09   #1839

Quote:
I have noticed one more irritant. Every time I unlock the car, ORVMS also open up as I keep them in auto mode. This becomes an irritant because I might have opened the car to take some stuff out or put some stuff in. Is there any way to change setting so that ORVMS open only when ignition is turned on?
I have the same issue. The OVRMs open with every unlock in auto mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Did they change it recently? In mine(TDI) it opens the orvms only when ignition is on and i don't remember any settings for this. Only setting wrt to orvms are fold when parked, sync adjustment and dip on reverse.
If this is not possible via settings may be this can be changed via VCDS.
Mine is a TDI too, manufacured in May 2014. I wish there were a simple user setting to change this behaviour.

In addition, I have another problem where the OVRMs don't tilt lower when reversing, even though it is set to lower on reverse.
Old 29th June 2015, 20:29   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
In addition, I have another problem where the OVRMs don't tilt lower when reversing, even though it is set to lower on reverse.
May be because of the position of the door mirror selector switch. Not sure about Octavia, but have experienced on other cars with same feature that the dip function does not work if the selector knob is in left door mirror position (left mirror selected). Try changing it to select the right door mirror and see if it works when you engage reverse gear after that.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 18:24   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
I have the same issue. The OVRMs open with every unlock in auto mode.

Mine is a TDI too, manufacured in May 2014. I wish there were a simple user setting to change this behaviour.

I dont know about the former but the latter looks like you have not set it right. Try putting gear lever in reverse and then mirror selector to left, lower it to the desired setting and then move back into d.

After that move mirror selector to R and your left mirror should go back to standard view.

Recheck by keeping mirror selector in L and shift to Reverse and it should dip down.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 22:13   #1842
BHPian

Been driving the 2L DSG for over a day now. Beauty to drive around.
However, I noticed that the driver's power seat doesn't quite know where to stop. After point it starts fouling with the central tunnel and makes those annoying noises with leather fighting leather.

I dont see this problem coming up in cars above the 30L range.
Old 1st July 2015, 01:25   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post
Been driving the 2L DSG for over a day now. Beauty to drive around.
However, I noticed that the driver's power seat doesn't quite know where to stop. After point it starts fouling with the central tunnel and makes those annoying noises with leather fighting leather.

I dont see this problem coming up in cars above the 30L range.

Because that's the leather fighting plastic. In 30 L + cars the dash is also covered in leather, and the leather is of a much softer grain than the one in the Octavia. A bit of silicone lubricant deters the noise.
Old 1st July 2015, 10:37   #1844
BHPian

Whatever be the sound, that fouling should not happen in the first place.
Old 1st July 2015, 12:05   #1845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
May be because of the position of the door mirror selector switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
I dont know about the former but the latter looks like you have not set it right. Try putting gear lever in reverse and then mirror selector to left, lower it to the desired setting and then move back into d.

After that move mirror selector to R and your left mirror should go back to standard view.

Recheck by keeping mirror selector in L and shift to Reverse and it should dip down.
Thanks ajaypjayaraj and kapiljolly79! You guys are right . It was not working since I usually keep the rotary knob in the position "0" unless I am manually adjusting the mirror position.

It is working as expected when I keep the rotary knob it in the position "L". I went back to the owners manual and checked, it says "the surface of the mirror tilts down slightly when the reverse gear is engaged and the rotary knob is in the position L". As mentioned in the manual, only the front passenger side mirror (left side mirror) tilts, I was expecting both mirrors to tilt before I read this info.

Most Viewed