Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 11:07   #331

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Truly a wonderful review of a what looks like a good product from the SKODA stable.

Just wish the company focuses on improving on the after-sales service and keeping their customers happy as well. (Fingers crossed).
Old 27th October 2013, 14:21   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys all these noises are generally from the beadings. Other people with Ventos, etc too have faced them. I face this on my Yeti also. Its just a matter of applying some lubricant every few weeks, a 10 min job. Though it is odd that nothing used to happen in the Laura, but in the newer vehicles there is a lot of noise from door/sunroof beadings.
So you are suggesting that this is normal ?? I am sorry but all of the other cars I have owned also have had sunroofs and none have created any problem in years of ownership. This problem was observed on the second day itself. If I am buying a product which is claimed to be "WELL BUILT" these noises shouldn't exist.

Anyways I have contacted the company and they have suggested me to take the car to the A.S.S for them to rectify the problem. Will post here what is the result.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:44   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
So you are suggesting that this is normal ?? I am sorry but all of the other cars I have owned also have had sunroofs and none have created any problem in years of ownership. This problem was observed on the second day itself. If I am buying a product which is claimed to be "WELL BUILT" these noises shouldn't exist.

Anyways I have contacted the company and they have suggested me to take the car to the A.S.S for them to rectify the problem. Will post here what is the result.
Oh no, far from normal. It just seems to be the recent norm with these VAG cars.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:48   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys all these noises are generally from the beadings. Other people with Ventos, etc too have faced them. I face this on my Yeti also. Its just a matter of applying some lubricant every few weeks, a 10 min job. Though it is odd that nothing used to happen in the Laura, but in the newer vehicles there is a lot of noise from door/sunroof beadings.
This is a good solution, but I'm not sure if we'd want to spend 20 lakhs on an Octavia and then spend an additional 10 min every few weeks lubricating assorted beadings.

Rattling and squeaking noises from a new car that's made by a company which promises German build-quality is quite frankly pretty disconcerting. And when you consider the gearbox issue on the 1.8 TSI, one starts to wonder if it's worth the hassles at all?!
Old 27th October 2013, 14:56   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is a good solution, but I'm not sure if we'd want to spend 20 lakhs on an Octavia and then spend an additional 10 min every few weeks lubricating assorted beadings.

Rattling and squeaking noises from a new car that's made by a company which promises German build-quality is quite frankly pretty disconcerting. And when you consider the gearbox issue on the 1.8 TSI, one starts to wonder if it's worth the hassles at all?!
I'm not defending the company, I'm just giving you the solution in case it actually is a noise from the beadings. Its not good that the noises are there, but the after sales doesn't seem to have found a solution for the beading noise. They apply a similar lubricant that lasts for a few weeks.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 18:15   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are suggesting that this is normal ?
This is not normal at all. I have a Superb with a sunroof with zero such issues. A spray from a lubricating product like WD40 should solve this issue immediately.
Old 27th October 2013, 18:46   #337
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on owning a newly launched car.

Quote:
I too would suggest before heading off to workshop, buy a can of WD-40 and spray it over sunroof beading. Operate the panoramic sunroof so as to have the solution spread over.

Drive a few mins later and noises should be reduced. VAG group of cars having felt/velevt lining are known to make noises but a spray of lubricating solution like WD-40 or Cyclo Silicone spray helps in removing noises and saves time of going to workshop for such small redundant work.

Though getting these squeaks on a brand new car pinches heart but a drive of a VAG or German car makes up for it.
Old 27th October 2013, 22:26   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This is not normal at all. I have a Superb with a sunroof with zero such issues. A spray from a lubricating product like WD40 should solve this issue immediately.
Agree with your suggestion. This probably will take care of the sunroof for a couple of weeks. What about the sounds from the engine bay?and the doors?and the suspension in the front? Looks like we are trying to justify our buy?
Old 28th October 2013, 06:07   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Looks like we are trying to justify our buy?
You may be but I do not have any such issues with my vehicle even after one and a half years of ownership, so I don't need to. I am fully satisfied with my Skoda.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 06:42   #340
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You may be but I do not have any such issues with my vehicle even after one and a half years of ownership, so I don't need to. I am fully satisfied with my Skoda.
My Yeti is about to hit the 2 year milestone. I have not driven it as much as I could have because these last two years have been quite busy, leaving little time for road trips.

Having said that, it is a pleasure to drive and use each time I get into it and take it to as mundane a destination as the office or the golf course or just buzzing about in the city.

I dont think that this is in any way trying to justify my buy. It just happens to be a great vehicle, thats all.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:42   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Do check the sunroof during PDI, it seems to be having an issue. One of the members also posted the same here.
I went for the PDI yesterday. The car was sealed for shipment on 25/9. Reasonable date me thinks. Also it had only 9 kms on the odo Thats another plus point. However, the chap showing me the car told that other conveniences have been disabled as the car is still in transit mode. All features will be active only after the PDI is complete. Hence I couldn't check the Sunroof operation, and honestly there was so much of dust on the sunroof, I was scared to even try else dust would probably fly in to the cabin. I found few loose pieces of rust, yes rust, on the windscreen. These are usually result of a very badly maintained transit container and is common so didn't bother about it much. Tyres were new, everything underneath and under the bonnet was clean. Interiors were clean, AC worked fine even the Audio system. I wonder they can punch in the Audio System code in but can't keep the features activated for the customer to check, was he trying to fool me? I don't know. But when I go for the delivery of the car, Sunroof is the first thing I am going to check. Don't know what they call PDI is more of a clean up and removing the White Plastic protective sheets from the body panels. The car is extremely silent! I mean extremely! Can't wait for the delivery scheduled on 1st November.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:09   #342

Congratulations adi_petrolhead!! So the long wait comes to an end. That's great news.

Please ensure you do an elaborate and exhaustive PDI, no matter howmanyever times, until you are completely satisfied with the delivery. Your money after all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I went for the PDI yesterday. The car was sealed for shipment on 25/9. Reasonable date me thinks. Also it had only 9 kms on the odo Thats another plus point.
That is really good! You got a brand new machine and more importantly on this side of 2014. A great procurement for the ever festive diwali.

Quote:
I found few loose pieces of rust, yes rust, on the windscreen. These are usually result of a very badly maintained transit container and is common so didn't bother about it much.
Yes. This is not a matter of much concern, as it is common during transit and stocking in the yard. I remember our MS Alto also having some of these during the PDI (Oh wait! That was 12 years ago ). A clean wash and wipe could help get rid of them. But just in case do ensure everything is in order before completely ruling out any defect.

Quote:
I wonder they can punch in the Audio System code in but can't keep the features activated for the customer to check, was he trying to fool me? I don't know.
I too feel this is strange. They ideally should allow you to check everything during the PDI. What else is PDI for? I am not aware of the "Skoda practices" however. I guess expert BHPians could help with this.

Quote:
The car is extremely silent! I mean extremely! Can't wait for the delivery scheduled on 1st November.
Congrats again on your truly wonderful buy. Money well spent I would say. Wish you many many happy miles with your beast in the guise of beauty. I too cant wait to see your ownership review (could be the first of the black 1.8 TSI) on the forum. Do share your experiences and of course the pics of your soon to be prized possession. And yes, Happy (Happier rather) Diwali in advance!

Last edited by srikanth.hv : 29th October 2013 at 21:29.
Old 29th October 2013, 21:19   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth.hv View Post
Congratulations adi_petrolhead!! So the long wait comes to an end. That's great news. Please ensure you do an elaborate and exhaustive PDI, no matter howmanyever times, until you are completely satisfied with the delivery. Your money after all! That is really good! You got a brand new machine and more importantly on this side of 2014. A great procurement for the ever festive diwali. Yes. This is not a matter of much concern, as it is common during transit and stocking in the yard. I remember our MS Alto also having some of these during the PDI (Oh wait! That was 12 years ago ). A clean wash and wipe could help get rid of them. But just in case do ensure everything is in order before completely ruling out any defect. I too feel this is strange. They ideally should allow you to check everything during the PDI. What else is PDI for? I am not aware of the "Skoda practices" however. I guess expert BHPians could help with this. Congrats again on your truly wonderful buy. Money well spent I would say. Wish you many many happy miles with your beast in the guise of beauty. I too cant wait to see your ownership review (could be the first of the 1.8 TSI) on the forum. Do share your experiences and of course the pics of your soon to be prized possession. And yes, Happy (Happier rather) Diwali in advance!
Thanks a lot Srikant! I tried to convince him to operate the sunroof but as told there was so much of dust on the sunroof I had rather not operated it just yet. Will check, double check, check again, double check again! Before taking delivery. I hope I have a trouble free ownership as was the Laura ownership besides the regular Skoda issues like the AC, hope thats rectified here. Although mine is the first TSI in the state of Gujarat, bhp-ian Prabir Talati has already posted about his experience with the beast and I think he officially still is the first TSI Octavi-er on the forum. Mine is black though, a nice metallic black, head lights look even mpre stunning amd the car becomes more of a sleeper! Love that fact about the Octavia. Thanks again, and a very Happy Diwali to you and all Bhp-ians out here!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:34   #344

Quote:
Although mine is the first TSI in the state of Gujarat, bhp-ian Prabir Talati has already posted about his experience with the beast and I think he officially still is the first TSI Octavi-er on the forum.
Oh yes! I don't know how I forgot Prabir Talti's post despite reading it (Sorry Prabir ) Post edited accordingly. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 29th October 2013, 22:19   #345
BHPian

Quote:
I went for the PDI yesterday. The car was sealed for shipment on 25/9. Reasonable date me thinks. Also it had only 9 kms on the odo Thats another plus point. However, the chap showing me the car told that other conveniences have been disabled as the car is still in transit mode. All features will be active only after the PDI is complete. Hence I couldn't check the Sunroof operation, and honestly there was so much of dust on the sunroof, I was scared to even try else dust would probably fly in to the cabin. I found few loose pieces of rust, yes rust, on the windscreen. These are usually result of a very badly maintained transit container and is common so didn't bother about it much. Tyres were new, everything underneath and under the bonnet was clean. Interiors were clean, AC worked fine even the Audio system. I wonder they can punch in the Audio System code in but can't keep the features activated for the customer to check, was he trying to fool me? I don't know. But when I go for the delivery of the car, Sunroof is the first thing I am going to check. Don't know what they call PDI is more of a clean up and removing the White Plastic protective sheets from the body panels. The car is extremely silent! I mean extremely! Can't wait for the delivery scheduled on 1st November.
That's good news. CheersWhen in transit our heart could just skip a beat when we see our brand new car being treated that way. Anyway a complete was and polish would be done on the D-day, The Octavia NVH levels are excellent. A word of caution my friend there are already threads coming up about the new Octavia causing troubles. So thoroughly check everything before you make the full payment. And may you have a great and trouble free ride ahead Congos.!!
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks