Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 14:32   #256
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Skoda does not seem to have learnt from its past mistakes.

While other car makers are bending backwards to push for their products the Skoda showroom at Bhubaneshwar (Mahavir) is closed on holidays (today is a Monday). The test drive car is yet to arrive and only a display vehicle is available.

However bookings have opened much prior to launch!

Probably Skoda wants prospective buyers to simply drool over the car and get hitched.

Last edited by raichoudhury : 14th October 2013 at 14:33.
Old 14th October 2013, 18:19   #257
BHPian

Excellent review. Thanks to all those behind the review. Its great that they included the 1.8 but pricing would definitely disappoint.

That being said, I would be looking forward from the mod-houses to see. ECU Remaps and all other good stuff were seen on the Polo TSi very quickly. However, the increased BHP,Torque on the 1.8 is definitely going to test the Gearboxes. Lets see how it goes !
Old 15th October 2013, 00:11   #258
BHPian

Fantastic report!! A black top of the line Octavia (I wish the 1.8 TSi) is now on my wishlist for early next year after the 320d. Probably the best replacement for my year old SX4.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:44   #259
BHPian

Since the 1.8 Tsi comes only with DSG, I wonder, will Skoda India launch the Octavia vRS ?
Auto vRS doesn't make sense :P
Old 15th October 2013, 19:47   #260
Senior - BHPian

Book your Skoda Online

Just came across following info on Skoda Facebook page. Skoda has apparently launched a website to book your Skoda car online in 4 easy steps.

Link.

Nice step forward by Skoda. Lets see if they could bring something on the lines of customizing your car through online order, eg. just like a Dell did for its laptops.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:57   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Book your Skoda Online Just came across following info on Skoda Facebook page. Skoda has apparently launched a website to book your Skoda car online in 4 easy steps. Link. Nice step forward by Skoda. Lets see if they could bring something on the lines of customizing your car through online order, eg. just like a Dell did for its laptops.
if they could allow customisation that would be a first in this segment. Always offered in Europe though, is the best when u can buy a base trim and engine and load it with features you like!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 15:02   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Book your Skoda Online

Just came across following info on Skoda Facebook page. Skoda has apparently launched a website to book your Skoda car online in 4 easy steps.
Link.
I just checked out the website for online booking, it works flawlessly and really it is very easy process. I am hoping with this facility, Skoda seems to address the Ford Ecosport type of booking issues and get into more transparent operating model. However, I am not sure how they compensate the chosen dealer as the booking is secured by this website directly without dealer involvement, except for final invoice and delivery may be.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:59   #263
BHPian

I have a doubt and hopefully it gets solved here . Currently own a 2007 1st gen Laura 1.9PD . This car is due for an upgrade . Looking for a new car which is equally good to the current car if not better , so my first option would be to give Skoda another chance with the Octavia . The top priority i would give to is the driving pleasure . My car has an multilink independent suspension but the Octavia has a torsion beam setup ? . Will it kill the driving pleasure ? . Also how good is the steering feedback ? . Inputs from anybody who has done a TD of the car would be appreciated . The official review has cleared most of my doubts but still some are left .
Thanks .
Old 16th October 2013, 22:07   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
I have a doubt and hopefully it gets solved here . Currently own a 2007 1st gen Laura 1.9PD . This car is due for an upgrade . Looking for a new car which is equally good to the current car if not better , so my first option would be to give Skoda another chance with the Octavia . The top priority i would give to is the driving pleasure . My car has an multilink independent suspension but the Octavia has a torsion beam setup ? . Will it kill the driving pleasure ? . Also how good is the steering feedback ? . Inputs from anybody who has done a TD of the car would be appreciated . The official review has cleared most of my doubts but still some are left . Thanks .
If you go for the 1.8 TSI, it will redefine driving pleasure for you. I will be getting delivery of the car on the coming Sunday. It has the same multi-link independent rear suspension and stability has improved thanks to ESP. If you go for the diesel you will compromise on the multi-link but in my opinion it will not seem very evident in everyday driving. It will be more stable on a highway compared to the multilink set up as per the review. At close to ₹2 lakh cheaper than the TDI, the TSI makes all the right ticks in an enthusiasts check list. As far as steering feedback goes, Skoda's spec sheet mentions the steering as Electro Mechanical. Even in the 'Laura' days, the spec sheet said electro mechanical steering. I don't know how much of a difference there is, the Laura steering was fantastic! As for the Octavia, i did not mention any major change in feedback during a pretty long test drive. Its lighter at slower speeds say in crawling traffic and under 30-40 kph, but weighs up well at high speeds thats for sure.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:08   #265
BHPian

Saw a white octavia (with a black roof) in Whitefield today evening. Looked smashing, but also seemed a bit pretentious.

Maybe I saw another one at night. It seemed like a skoda and had projector lamps. Or maybe not, don't recall seeing the DRL. Those DRLs can't be switched off can they?
Old 16th October 2013, 22:14   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Saw a white octavia (with a black roof) in Whitefield today evening. Looked smashing, but also seemed a bit pretentious. Maybe I saw another one at night. It seemed like a skoda and had projector lamps. Or maybe not, don't recall seeing the DRL. Those DRLs can't be switched off can they?
White with black roof looks much like an Audi A6 (old model ofcourse) from a distance. Agree its pretentious enough. DRL can be switched off using the car's MFD or the infotainment system.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:35   #267

I own the 1.8 TSI - it's an absolute dream to drive. Comfortable in the back seat on bad roads as well (i.e., most of Mumbai), thanks to the multi-link suspension. While this post is based on just a couple of days of driving pleasure, I must say I am very pleased with this car at this time.

Last edited by PrabirTalati : 16th October 2013 at 22:50.
PrabirTalati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 22:48   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrabirTalati View Post
I own the 1.8 TSI - it's an absolute dream to drive. Comfortable in the back seat on bad roads as well (i.e., most of Mumbai), thanks to the multiple-link suspension. While this post is based on just a couple of days of driving pleasure, I must say am very pleased with this car at this time.
Congrats!! Heard there were no 1.8tsi deliveries happening in mumbai. Did you pull some strings?
Old 16th October 2013, 23:01   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrabirTalati View Post
I own the 1.8 TSI - it's an absolute dream to drive. Comfortable in the back seat on bad roads as well (i.e., most of Mumbai), thanks to the multi-link suspension. While this post is based on just a couple of days of driving pleasure, I must say I am very pleased with this car at this time.
Many congratulations i think you're the first one to have the TSI!! I havent driven it yet!
Old 17th October 2013, 09:25   #270
Senior - BHPian

2013 Skoda Octavia

Torque Automotive Ahmedabad (Specification and price list as of Oct 2013)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia-price-list.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: docx Octavia_Specification.docx (37.4 KB, 747 views)
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed