Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:37   #3181
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
The OEM Varta battery on mine lasted around two years. It also failed suddenly. It was working just fine and then one fine morning, it was dead. I think there was an official recall too.

I replaced it with an aftermarket Exide battery with a slightly bigger capacity but that also gave up just under two years, but got a replacement under warranty.

The exide gave plenty of warning signs though.
My old Varta in the Yeti was replaced after 4 full years of usage...I put in an Amaron. So far so good.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:58   #3182
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree although there are no guarantees I feel.
Totally agree with you. There are no guarantees. One should buy it only after he is okay to over look this issue for the otherwise fabulous machine.
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:25   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Common wisdom (Anecdotal evidence) states that failing of the DSG gearbox (TSI Variant) is a question of WHEN not IF. It is quite likely that in the event of failure, Skoda will handle the replacement free of cost but even if it does not, the experiences cited in this forum state the expenditure will be somewhere around 1.3 lakhs.

So a question to current owners of the TSI engine, does it make sense to pick this car if you have any intention to drive it enthusiastically ? I dont intend taking it to a race track but we all enjoy occasionally downshifting a gear or two to see the engine rev up.
The issue with the TSI is the dry clutch dq200 which is really not meant for our traffic and weather conditions. It’s the 1st and 2nd gear bumper to bumper traffic and low gear inclines that you need to watch out for. I was in the market for an upgrade to my Jetta and the main reason for dismissing the TSI for a TDI though my driving is under 6k a year, was the major concern about the gearbox. Sure, Skoda covers it but I’d rather pay a little extra and have a car that runs a more solid gearbox (TDI - Dq250) which will probably not require the cover.

In fact, during my evaluations, multiple dealers were open enough about the TSI issues but not one had anything to say about the TDI. The Jetta TDI AT HL too, was a solid car till the day I sold it, zero issues

Also, maybe it’s my driving style but I found the TDI to be a far bit more fun to drive than the TSi.

Last edited by Zahir : 3rd November 2018 at 21:26.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 09:12   #3184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
I will keep looking for new features, if any. I asked the sales people at the dealership and they just said that they were told that this is the 2019 Octavia but haven't been told about the exact changes. They asked me to share any updates with them too.
Doc,

Assume you're thoroughly enjoying the Octavia! Do let us know about any more MY19 feature addition or deletions that you may have noticed.

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th November 2018 at 09:34.
Old 4th November 2018, 11:37   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
The issue with the TSI is the dry clutch dq200 which is really not meant for our traffic and weather conditions. It's the 1st and 2nd gear bumper to bumper traffic and low gear inclines that you need to watch out for.

The DQ200 is an unreliable GB everywhere in the world sir! It's not just in India. Just google and check.
Old 4th November 2018, 11:55   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
The DQ200 is an unreliable GB everywhere in the world sir! It's not just in India. Just google and check.
Agreed, it is problematic all around. My point is that the Indian conditions don’t really help reliability
Old 5th November 2018, 00:31   #3187
BHPian

Hi, Anyone here used Liqui Moly engine flush or Oil Treatment in the Octavia? Will this really help. Been seeing these mentioned in few other vehicle threads. Will be going up for 30k annual service in next couple of months. Would like to know if it is good to use these on the TDI engine.
Old 6th November 2018, 17:12   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Globally the 2018 Octavia is not a facelift but with mechanical changes. Gets New Engines: 150 HP 1.5 TSI and 190 HP 2.0 TSI.

Link
Does anyone have any updates on this engine change ? Looking at the specifications in the linked article, the 2.0 TSI should be paired with a wet DSG. Dont know by when the updates will be rolled out in India though it seems to be already available in many markets overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
From my understanding, the issue is not due to driving enthusiastically but more to do with the bumper to bumper traffic scenarios where there is more heat produced due to half clutch.
Quote:
Agree although there are no guarantees I feel. My TSI is at 3 years and ~39k km and I drive it enthusiastically on my regular semi-urban commute. Bumper to bumper is comparatively far lesser. Even then, I have been hearing minor noises from the DSG especially 3-4 & 4-5 when I lift off after initial quick acceleration. Don't know that cause but hope it is not a sign that it will fail totally.

Will ask for a detailed check during upcoming 3 year service.
A question to you and other TSI owners who had the DSG replaced. Knowing what you know now, would you still recommend the car factoring this as a known risk ?

Ending with a glimpse of the new instrument cluster:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia-active-info-display.jpg
theMandarin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 11:50   #3189
sud
BHPian

Quote:
A question to you and other TSI owners who had the DSG replaced. Knowing what you know now, would you still recommend the car factoring this as a known risk ?
Yes, if you want a drivers machine at this price point and you are absolutely okay to put up with the reliability issues.

But on the other hand, if you want reliability and peace of mind, look elsewhere.

vRS was best of both worlds but unfortunately it is no longer being sold I believe. Not sure if and when they will relaunch it.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:53   #3190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
vRS was best of both worlds but unfortunately it is no longer being sold I believe. Not sure if and when they will relaunch it.
Reasonably reliable sources say January 2019 booking reopens with March deliveries.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 12:08   #3191
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Reasonably reliable sources say January 2019 booking reopens with March deliveries.
This is awesome. @theMandarin, if you can wait, then this would be a better pick and you would very well end up having more smiles.
Old 7th November 2018, 15:01   #3192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ending with a glimpse of the new instrument cluster:

Attachment 1815741
Frankly (even if sour grapes can be cited ) I am unsure about the AID. The existing Style+ display on mine is very responsive and classy. Possibly I am old-school myself. But good to see Skoda India bringing these to IN pretty much in line with the greater EU.
Old 12th November 2018, 14:03   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed one of the DRLs have turned yellow. Are these covered under extended warranty? If not, does Skoda provide goodwill warranty?
Old 12th November 2018, 14:09   #3194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just noticed one of the DRLs have turned yellow. Are these covered under extended warranty? If not, does Skoda provide goodwill warranty?
The headlights should definitely be covered under extended warranty. I think they will replace it without any hassles.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 16:11   #3195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The headlights should definitely be covered under extended warranty. I think they will replace it without any hassles.
Checked my Extended Warranty document. Headlight assemblies are specifically excluded . Will visit them next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks