Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2018, 13:58   #3091
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

My 2014 TDI went in for the 75k service last week. There was an intermittent tapping noise from the compressor/alternator area. They couldn't figure out the source but apparently the coil warning lamp came on two days back. The SA called today and said the water pump is leaking on to the timing belt and both needs to be replaced. It has to be a small leak because I haven't noticed any dip in the coolant levels.

Manikandan Motors gave a rough estimate of 45k for the repairs. (Extended warranty got over in feb) The timing belt kit is replaced at 1.2 lakh kms right? They claimed it is at 90k kms. The service cost calculator says it is at 1.2 lakh kms and the kit cost is around 15k.

What's the coil warning lamp light got to do with a water pump failure? Or it might be a totally unrelated issue. Anyone faced similar issues?

I was expecting the water pump failure after the compressor and ABS sensor replacements. But the timing belt was a surprise. Fun times.
joethomasv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 11:13   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : VRS or 1.8TSI

Just a bit of the background. I'm in the market for a new car as they generally have hasslefree ownership for the initial 4-5 years before any major part needs replacing. My annual running is about 15K a year, a lot of which is in the city ( I'm still driving to work). So while I do get some stretches to press the pedal to the metal, its not too frequent. And while Mumbai peak hour is not as bad as Bangalore, the avg spd is still around 20kmph.

Having tasted the power and fun to drive factor in the Old Octy VRS, didn't find anything equally fun to drive in the 20-25L range. Original idea was to buy a pre-worshipped RS230 in 2 years time when the market would start seeing some. However I had to change that planning as my car has started demanding some part changes as it approaches 1L Km mark. Hence the need for a new car. And have zeroed onto the Octy again. Did like the Polo GT TSI but the car is a little too barebones for the 11L price tag.

Difference between the Octy 1.8 TSI Style and L&K variant is the sunroof and the reverse self parking. And the price gap being close to 2L, its going to be the Style variant.

Since the original plan was for the RS230, I Test Drove one. I like the car but few things are forcing me do a rethink.
  1. While on paper there is a gap of 50bhp between the 1.8TSI and the RS230, on road while driving in the city, there is very little incremental difference. Mind you the 1.8TSI is no slouch either.
  2. Almost close to 9L gap between the two variants in questions.
  3. The RS requires 97 Octane petrol. Not available outside major cities. Will it be a pain on long drives out of town.
Hence need some thoughts from the experts here!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Minor formatting for improved readability
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 11:17   #3093
Senior - BHPian

I think you have already arrived at a conclusion and I concur with it. Purchasing a RS230 for daily commute to work, doesn't make sense as you will never get a chance to use the additional power.

Last edited by F150 : 4th August 2018 at 11:20.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 15:31   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Since the original plan was for the RS230, I Test Drove one. I like the car but few things are forcing me do a rethink.
  1. While on paper there is a gap of 50bhp between the 1.8TSI and the RS230, on road while driving in the city, there is very little incremental difference. Mind you the 1.8TSI is no slouch either.
  2. Almost close to 9L gap between the two variants in questions.
  3. The RS requires 97 Octane petrol. Not available outside major cities. Will it be a pain on long drives out of town.
Hence need some thoughts from the experts here!
Honestly speaking the RS230 is going to be a heart vs. mind affair. The difference in on-road price is certainly not justifiable if it's intended usage is as a daily driver.

Also the ride quality of the 1.8 TSI is much better for a daily driver situation than that of the RS230.

I'd say get the 1.8 TSI Style Plus. That's all the car one would ever need, besides the lack of a sunroof - which may never get opened up if it's in-city driivng.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 17:30   #3095
BHPian

With most of the driving restricted to in-city limits, I doubt either the 1.8 TSI or the vRS would be a suitable buy. The DQ200 box of 1.8 TSI is the biggest difference between the 1.8 and 2.0. Plus, the fact that 2.0 is lowered with a stiffer suspension. So the bigger difference may not be visible in a straight line run (at lower speeds). It is the corners and high triple digits speeds which would have 2.0 at an advantage. I don't think you would be doing either of those in Mumbai traffic very frequently
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 19:11   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
My 2014 TDI went in for the 75k service last week. There was an intermittent tapping noise from the compressor/alternator area. They couldn't figure out the source but apparently the coil warning lamp came on two days back. The SA called today and said the water pump is leaking on to the timing belt and both needs to be replaced. It has to be a small leak because I haven't noticed any dip in the coolant levels.

Manikandan Motors gave a rough estimate of 45k for the repairs. (Extended warranty got over in feb) The timing belt kit is replaced at 1.2 lakh kms right? They claimed it is at 90k kms. The service cost calculator says it is at 1.2 lakh kms and the kit cost is around 15k.

What's the coil warning lamp light got to do with a water pump failure? Or it might be a totally unrelated issue. Anyone faced similar issues?

I was expecting the water pump failure after the compressor and ABS sensor replacements. But the timing belt was a surprise. Fun times.
This was observed in couple of other Skoda/VW's as well. You can call it as pre-mature failure. Ideally, both Timing kit+Water pump should be replaced at 120K service. Since, you water pump gave up pretty early(It would've thrown in low coolant warning). It was advised to change in the Timing kit. However, you can take a call of replacing only water pump for now, followed by timing kit at 120K Kms service. Not sure how both are inter-related.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 19:11   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
With most of the driving restricted to in-city limits, I doubt either the 1.8 TSI or the vRS would be a suitable buy.

I don't think you would be doing either of those in Mumbai traffic very frequently
I do use the Bandra Worli Sea Link 4-5 times in a week
Old 6th August 2018, 21:35   #3098
BHPian

Does Octavia 1.8 TSI require 91 Octane Petrol or any other special rated fuel? Or does regular petrol work ok?
Old 6th August 2018, 22:04   #3099
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Does Octavia 1.8 TSI require 91 Octane Petrol or any other special rated fuel? Or does regular petrol work ok?
Regular petrol works fine. Infact when I took the delivery the SA suggested not to use any speed or equivalent ones. So I have refrained from using any of them. I guess even group members have reported cases where using speed or equivalent ones have caused issues.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 23:35   #3100
BHPian

Even the vRS works fine with regular 91 octane fuel though it responds distinctly better when fed with 95 or higher octane fuel.
Hells Bells is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 08:40   #3101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : VRS or 1.8TSI

Quote:
Just a bit of the background. I'm in the market for a new car as they generally have hasslefree ownership for the initial 4-5 years before any major part needs replacing. My annual running is about 15K a year, a lot of which is in the city ( I'm still driving to work). So while I do get some stretches to press the pedal to the metal, its not too frequent. And while Mumbai peak hour is not as bad as Bangalore, the avg spd is still around 20kmph.
Have you explored the Octavia 1.4 TSI? Even cheaper and the 1.4 is no slouch in city environs. In fact I believe it's zippier than the 1.8 uptil ~3000 RPM. Of course, after 3000 there is no comparison though.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 11:45   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have you explored the Octavia 1.4 TSI? Even cheaper and the 1.4 is no slouch in city environs. In fact I believe it's zippier than the 1.8 uptil ~3000 RPM. Of course, after 3000 there is no comparison though.
Driven the Jetta 1.4TSI and its no comparison. So that's totally off the list.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:16   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Driven the Jetta 1.4TSI and its no comparison. So that's totally off the list.
Jetta 1.4tsi has a different state of tune than the Octavia I believe. The latter is the fun to drive and then there is always the option of remapping to improve things.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:24   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Jetta 1.4tsi has a different state of tune than the Octavia I believe. The latter is the fun to drive and then there is always the option of remapping to improve things.
Why do all that mapping business when for 2Lacs you can get a different beast altogether. Where the 1.4 will reach with mapping, the 1.8 starts
MileCruncher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 12:29   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do all that mapping business when for 2Lacs you can get a different beast altogether. Where the 1.4 will reach with mapping, the 1.8 starts
Totally agree. Ditch 1.4 if you've disliked it. It's now the national engine for the VAG group
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed