Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 00:13   #106
BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Were you able to get exact OTR for top end?
No, didn't ask them, sorry. There were too many people milling around as they had some 'event manager' yelling into a mike and I just wasn't interested enough.

That was just a ballpark estimate based on what others have approximated, but I think it will be at least 14.5 lakh or more for the top end in Chennai, since it falls under the higher 10L+ slab for road tax and registration.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 00:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review. If i were out shopping for an MUV, I would close my eyes and buy this. I hate Toyota in India for its arrogance and greed. As GTO has rightly pointed out , this should teach Toyota a lesson.

BTW, couldn't Renault think of a better name? Lodgy? What kinda name is that? I can already picture it parked before lodges with suit cases perched on roof racks and tourists pouring out of it.
Old 12th April 2015, 06:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Can R16 be ever considered as a safe tyre upgrade or do we just settle for R15 wider rubber? I honestly don't understand Renault's rationale behind those puny wheels.
Old 12th April 2015, 06:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I honestly don't understand Renault's rationale behind those puny wheels.
Fitting puny wheels as OE is a game by almost all manufacturers in these segments, where competition makes way for value engineering. And I feel that there is no other rationale.

Today's car buyer heads to an accessory shop immediately on taking delivery of their new vehicle and spends a decent sum over there. The manufacturers know this psychological aspect pretty well that, consumers would upgrade their wheels also.

The lower and middle variants are the ones sold more and after market alloy wheels are one focus point, for these buyers.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th April 2015 at 07:00.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 07:56   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
swiftdiesel : Can R16 be ever considered as a safe tyre upgrade or do we just settle for R15 wider rubber?
You can safely go for R16. And even 1 size up for the tyre width. Just make sure that the tyres dont fould anywhere
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 09:32   #111
Senior - BHPian

I believe the 85 BHP version will be very popular with the Taxi operators. After the initial interest goes down a bit, Renault will start offering discounts on this vehicle (as they are doing with the Duster now). I expect the discounting to be a lot more fierce due to the greater competition from Maruti Suzuki and Honda. In the SUV segment, the competition is a lot less and that has enabled Renault to charge a premium.

This will seriously put pressure on all players including Toyota Innova. Good days ahead for the customer who will end up getting value for his money.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 09:56   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can R16 be ever considered as a safe tyre upgrade or do we just settle for R15 wider rubber? I honestly don't understand Renault's rationale behind those puny wheels.
Nope. R16 is not a good option. Stock size is 185/65-15. You have the following options:

1. 195/65-15 - This will make the tyre profile taller as well as wider. It could foul when turning full lock. Ride will improve but steering will not be as sharp and you feel additional roll.
2. 195/60-15 - Perfect upsize but you lose ground clearance by 3mm.
3. 195/55-16 - On paper this is the best size upgrade. But the R16 means you lose one inch of sidewall rubber resulting in stiffer ride and if you hit a pot hole with full load of passengers you are looking at tyre + alloy damage in high probability. The Lodgy has good ride and handling but is tuned towards the stiffer side.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 10:31   #113
BHPian

Last car i purchased i went with wide tyres of a lower profile i.e in the case of lodgy it could be r16 215 50
Old 12th April 2015, 10:40   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would say get 205/60 R15, which will give you the extra grip for good braking, and road holding. There are a few options in that size, but I would take the Acceleres for a Lodgy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
2. 195/60-15 - Perfect upsize but you lose ground clearance by 3mm.
But then its not a perfect upsize
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 10:45   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I would say get 205/60 R15, which will give you the extra grip for good braking, and road holding. There are a few options in that size, but I would take the Acceleres for a Lodgy.
Pretty sure 205/60-15 will scrape the rear wheel arch on full load.

Quote:
But then its not a perfect upsize
3mm is not much GC to lose. It's the perfect size cause it's a one size up in terms of width and the overall diameter is within 1% of the OE size.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 11:11   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The side of the arch or the top? Because with 205/60 the overall diameter is the same. Looking at the pics I think 205s should fit comfortable, but then you reviewed it so you know better.
Old 12th April 2015, 13:58   #117
BHPian

I recently brought a top end 85 ps duster and what I liked in the review of the lodgy were the chrome internal pull levers! Now I can install these in my duster!
Old 13th April 2015, 08:38   #118
BHPian

Do not get me wrong, but for the first time I see a disconnect between the official review (where in the reviewers were left very impressed) vis-a-vis the readers (those who have seen/test-driven the vehicle) who have come unimpressed.

Perhaps this is a vehicle that grows on you, rather than setup that fantastic initial reaction. More functional than form perhaps.
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 08:50   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Viddy, my Ertiga is on 205/60/15 (Stock being 185/65/15)since the last 35,000 kms and scraping the wheel arches was one of the most important concerns for me before deciding to upgrade as I have faced this in the WagonR only because I settled for an aftermarket alloy that had a positive offset which ended up scrapping the arches even with a VXi Variant spec tire (155 65 13 against 145 70 13). Ended up with spacers for the rear then!

I have been very regularly driving with full load and at times with all 3 rows and have never faced issues with tires scrapping the arches only because I have retained the stock alloys rather than going for aftermarket alloys.

However, the Stock Rim (or even the Alloy) is 5.5J and that makes 205 little bulgy on the sidewalls and the aftermarket alloys start with 6.5J (Talk about scrapping).

In fact, the speedo/Odo when tested with GPS too is almost exact to the earlier readings with 185/65/15.

With stock rims, I think the Lodgy would be happy on 205/60.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th April 2015 at 08:52.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 09:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Do not get me wrong, but for the first time I see a disconnect between the official review (where in the reviewers were left very impressed) vis-a-vis the readers (those who have seen/test-driven the vehicle) who have come unimpressed.

Perhaps this is a vehicle that grows on you, rather than setup that fantastic initial reaction. More functional than form perhaps.
with you 101%. This is a people mover. Function will take precedence over form. Those of you who are in the market for a 6 or 7 seater, I would urge not to check this car in isolation. Take your entire family along with you. Take a longish test drive. Evaluate the car not just in terms of how easy/ exciting it is to drive from driver perspective but what is the comfort levels of your family members. Do they enjoy travelling in it? Does each one gets his/ her own space? Will they look forward for those long drives in this car?

If the answer for most of these questions is an overwhelming yes, then go for it. You may have to sacrifice some of the driving pleasures, but then who cares if each of your family member is going to reciprocate the warmth and love that you have shown for them by going for this car.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed