Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:36   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
With regard to 85 or 110, I would recommend the 110 for the perfect gear ratios.
+1
More than the gear ratio, I think one will need the 110 to just pull the 7 people in the car better. 110 should do much better than 85 from that point of view. Whereas for Duster since its only 5-seater, 85 bhp can also work better from a personal need point of view.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2015 at 11:33. Reason: Corrected English
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:43   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Yet to spot many Lodgy's on the road. What is the initial response?

As an aside, I hired a Renault Logan from Bangalore airport yesterday only to notice that the car had run close to 4 lakh kilometers by now

I spoke to the driver to realize that the engine is yet to have any major overhaul as such. Logan engines of yore were not turbo diesels though. This kind of quality and reliability will put even Japanese manufacturers to shame.

I made a click with his consent and here you go:
Lodgy's response has just been lukewarm at best. Even when I booked mine, there was hardly anyone in the showroom. This lacklustre response is due to Renault's pricing and the looks seem to put off many. I may be one in a thousand to like the looks. Whenever I drive mine, people seem to cast a second glance as if to wonder if this car even exists! They should bring the top end down by a lac and a half to make it enticing. As of now, I don't see it set the cash registers ringing. That said, instant delivery is possible which really helped when I booked. Having dealt with Maruti's infamous waiting period, this was bliss.

Very pleased to see the stellar performance of the K9K engine. As far as I remember, the Logan had a turbo too, albeit a small fixed geometry one.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 2nd June 2015 at 09:47.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Me too agree with above comment. But isn't this just a matter of getting accustomed to rather than a safety hazard? After driving my Duster for some time, I unknowingly tried to put my wife's car into reverse. When all I wanted was to engage the 6th gear. So is having 6 gears a safety hazard? Just trying to understand how having indicators on another side is a hazard. Annoyance surely. But safety hazard?
Completely agree with you. As far as I have experienced, it is no more a safety hazard than having the indicator stalks on the 'right' side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM, M. Sreenivasulu <...@araiindia.com> wrote:
Dear Mr. Karale
Thanks for your mail and we understand the difficulty faced, however as of today under CMVR there are no mandatory rules regarding the location of the controls for these systems.
However we would appreciate your suggestions and would take it up with the concerned.

With warm regards.
M.SREENIVASULU
020-30231152

Sent: Monday, May 25, 2015 9:27 AM
To: M. Sreenivasulu
Subject: FW: Car controls inconsistent with Indian driving standards/regulations

Sent: 23 May 2015 21:39
To: info@araiindia.com
Subject: Car controls inconsistent with Indian driving standards/regulations

I test-drove a Renault Lodgy in Bangalore today. I noticed that the "turn indicators" are on the opposite side to what they usually are in India.

In India, the turn indicator lever is supposed to be on the right of the steering column. Instead, the Renault Lodgy has it on the left side of the steering column. As a result, I accidentally always ended up turning on the wipers, instead of the turn indicators!
To be honest, which is the right side? How do you determine, that the indicator controls are usually on the right hand side of the steering? There are plenty of cars in India which have the indicators on the left hand side (not just the Lodgy)

AFAIK, all European cars in India had the indicators on the left hand side of the steering right from day one. The reply you have recieved from ARAI states that there is no rule saying that the indicator stalks should only be placed on the right side. Since there is no such rule in place, how can you say they are on the wrong side? The Japanese/Korean cars which made the first entry in to the Indian market (as opposed to European/American cars) had the stalks on the right side because it was like that in their home markets. Just because you became 'used' to it does not make it a rule. It is the same case with the European cars Fiat, VW & Renault. A person who learns driving on a car which has indicators on the left hand side gets used to it. If he buys a car with indicators on the right hand side? what then, should we stop making such cars?

We have 4 cars in my family, 2 of them have indicators on the left hand side and 2 of them have it on the right hand side. I drive all cars often and I have never felt that being on either side is not an advantage or disadvantage forget being a safety hazard.

It is just a question of getting used to. My point is, when you are driving your car, it is helpful if you know where the controls are (left side or right side) so that you can react better in case of emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I am surprised ARAI even approved the sale of this vehicle!
Are you really serious about this comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Why should people adopt to wrong placement. Let the manufacturer do the adaptation, and ARAI should look it into it.
What happens to people who are used to left hand side indicators? Should they re-adapt to right hand side indicator? If yes, what is the difference between adapting from right to left or left to right?

PS: I am not a left handed person

Last edited by addyhemmige : 2nd June 2015 at 12:48. Reason: Added comment
addyhemmige is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:33   #229
Senior - BHPian

The position of the controls shouldn't be a big deal, both have their advantages, the right side stalk for headlights and turn signals means you can take a turn easily as you just need a finger to indicate or dip your beam. The left side located light switch means when you drive around town in an irritating drizzle which requires an occasional wipe, you can easily operate the wiper, this being monsoon time and all. Driving at night on a twistry road means any side is alright as both hands will be on the wheel most of the time.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:20   #230
Senior - BHPian

I agree the orientation of indicator and wiper stalks is not such a big problem after one gets used to them. I have seen a Logan with wipers sweeping from right to left, which is definitely wrong side as wiper sweeping from right to left does leave a blind spot towards right upper of driver side. To experience this, one need to sit in passenger seat of the Indian oriented car.

Further more, if what is right is to be mulled over, then why do left hand driven markets do not have the orientation of stalks the other way round?

However, discussing these things is very off topic in this thread. It is better to have a seperate thread for such topics.

Last edited by simplyself : 2nd June 2015 at 18:25.
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:02   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
To be honest, which is the right side?
The design is specifically (or should be) to aid ease of driving. For right Hand drive countries (Eg.-India), most used controls (indicator, light controls) should ideally be placed on the right side as the gear lever is placed on the driver's left side. So the driver can operate both the fear lever and indicator switches simultaneously (if need be). (Now this practice was prevail ant before Auto transmission was popular, hence the same trend is continued)

In case of LHD countries (Eg.-US), the gear lever is on the driver's right side. Hence, the indicator/light controls are placed on the driver's left side.

Now when localization happens, few manufacturers (Ford, Renault, etc.) reduce costs by avoiding redesign of steering console. They just modify/redesign the dashboard and keep the steering unit intact. I do not suppose we have any specific laws or policies against this practice (or there might be loop holes which manufacturers utilize).
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 16:04   #232
BHPian

Anyone aware of this incident where a customers Lodgy was scratched at the dealership? This was at Pathanamthitta, Kerala.
Got this as an FB Share

Quote:
FATE OF A RENAULT CUSTOMER
14-05-2015 had been a bad day, probably the worst day , for my buddy Sanjay Kuruvilla and his family just because they bought a "BRAND NEW" RENAULT LODGY for approx. 13 Lakhs Rupees ,with the following SPECIAL OFFERS from Pathanamthitta Showrrom.
1.USED TYRES
2.Scratches all over the body
3.Grease stained seats
4. Torn seat covers etc.
Since the vehicle was delivered with soaked in dirt, the scratches were found few hours after getting it water serviced. It was immediately brought into the notice of the showroom guys and after much arguments they accepted the mistakes and promised to get the issues rectified. We doubt it for having been used as a test drive/demo car.
After causing much of the earlier worries , the RTO rejected the registration due to improper documentation.Feeling dejected my frnd parked his lodgy in the dealers premises asking them to have him communicate with their higher authorities and came back to office. The very next day when he went there the new car was having scratches on the body deliberately done by the dealership. I don't understand why Renault India keeping such sadistic minds as dealers who don't even know how to deal with a customer.The customer care manager too responded negatively confirming that it was all done purposely with her consent.
Scratched cars fotos are also attached. See the wicked smile on their faces after doing such a thing.
Please don't buy Renault cars till they change such idiotic dealers.
There is a response from Renault India on the thread though.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-ren1.jpg  

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-ren2.jpg  

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-ren3.jpg  

glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 18:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
......The Japanese/Korean cars which made the first entry in to the Indian market (as opposed to European/American cars) had the stalks on the right side because it was like that in their home markets. Just because you became 'used' to it does not make it a rule.

Completely OT but here is a correction to your post: Here in USA, all Japanese/Korean cars have turn indicators stalk on left side of steering and wiper stalk on right side of steering while in India, it is the other way round (or more conventional setup). So they did customized/alter the stalks position based on the left or right hand driven market. I would also mention that I am YET to see a single car with turn indicators on right side of steering wheel in USA. IMO, it is just matter of cost cutting and nothing else.

While I also agree with you that it is just matter of getting used to. Back home in India, I own 1 Japanese, 1 Korean and 1 German and I don't face any issue but there may be some people who take time to adopt.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 19:38   #234
Senior - BHPian

Shall we take the LHD/RHD stalk discussion to the relevant thread please? Thanks.

A driving update:

Just crossed 1000 kms on the odo which is due to a 500 kms round trip I did today. The Lodgy is a highway star, period. Had the biggest surprise today with regard to mileage. In my previous car, when I did 100-110 km/h, the mileage would be 11-12kmpl and at 80 km/h, it would increase to about 17 kmpl. In the Lodgy, I did a constant 120-130 km/h and got a mileage of 15 kmpl (will upload pic if needed) and this is on an engine that's still running in. Pretty impressed with the K9K and 6 speed gearbox. The response even in 6th gear is outstanding with a mild turbo whoosh coming in close to 1800 RPM. Really impressed with the highway performance but yet to figure out how to use cruise control.

This trip also involved a drive to the hills and the Lodgy shined with stellar performance. In my previous car, I had to switch off the AC the moment I got on the ghat section. The Lodgy never showed any stress doing the hairpin bends with the AC on. But there was a steep incline to a resort that required me to stop and then start and this is where the lag caught me out in 2nd gear. I couldn't shift to second at all and eventually ended up doing the whole incline in 1st. After a stretch the incline evened out a bit and from then on shifting to 2nd wasn't a problem. Perhaps, just on this incline, if I had switched off the AC, may be the lag would've been lesser but yeah that's something to mention. In one of the parking lots, a stone jutting out hit the underbody; Yeah, low GC is an issue on very uneven surfaces but the brighter side is the engine sump guard took the hit (visually checked underbody).

My personal priority while buying the Lodgy was highway performance over anything else and the Lodgy has not disappointed me in this regard. Engine sounds relaxed at 3 digit speeds and the NVH is best in class. Oodles of torque in 4th, 5th and 6th gears for effortless overtakes and sustained speed. Higher mileage for sustained high speed is something that's taken me by surprise. Never had that happen in any of my previous cars. Tyre noise comes in over 110 km/h and I guess it's the Apollos to blame. Anyway, decided to live with them for now and upgrade later. On a side note, people are still surprised to see a Lodgy on the highway; in fact some people choose not to overtake to follow my car! Enjoying the attention for now.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 4th June 2015 at 19:39.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 20:02   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my previous car, when I did 100-110 km/h, the mileage would be 11-12kmpl and at 80 km/h, it would increase to about 17 kmpl.
And I assume when you refer to "Previous car" it is the Ertiga & Diesel?

I am surprised that the FE that you got for cruising at 80KMPH is mere 17kmpl!!

Again, 11-12 Kmpl with 100-110 km/h cruising (even under full load of 3 rows or 2 rows + luggage) is astonishing. Honestly, I am yet to come across someone who has got so bad a mileage (on a regular basis and not incidentally) from the 1.3 VGT.

The least FE that the MID ever displayed for me was soon after we started from Goa and took the Chorla Ghats and at the end of the Ghats (Say 125 kms) at Belgaum, the MID was 14.XX KMPL and all this with the AC On all the times.

On regular dual carriageway highways I normally cruise between 100-110kmph and have always managed to get at least 18kmpl with whatever load you can think of.

With 6 Adults and a lot of speedbreaker maneuvers between Bangalore-Mysore (140 kms) and Mysore-Belur (165 kms), I have still got 16.xx KMPL- Again with both the ACs on and a lot of idling time with the AC on inside Mysore City while we parked and rested and others did an hour of sight seeing.

It is now 55,000 kms in the Ertiga and I can easily guess the mileage it will return based on the route, speed and load. I am indeed surprised with the number quoted because I do remember you raving about Ertiga's FE and performance as a highway cruiser when you owned one. Quoting the same here:

Quote:
Thanks! Mileage on the highway was 20 kmpl at speed of 90 - 100. On the ghats, without AC it was between 14 to 15 kmpl.
You do mention about ghats in this post of yours.

Again, in this post below you refer to how the Ertiga is (was)an able highway cruiser.

Quote:
If I have to nitpick I wish the torque came in slightly earlier, say like 1350 - 1400 RPM. Having said that, it's interesting to note that the engine characteristics have changed with more miles on the odo. During my earlier Ooty trip when my car was just 600 kms new, I felt like the turbo was tight. In this trip the engine had opened up nicely and the turbo spools effortlessly. I haven't driven an Innova on the ghats, so don't know how it compares. On the highway it's Ertiga any day for me for its effortless cruising with very low NVH which I found lacking in the Innova. It's just my opinion and no offence to Innova owners who enjoy their drive. No complaints with the AC, it does its job perfectly in hot Chennai.
Of course, if you scan through lots of sections talking about MPVs, Ownership and Official reviews, I have time and again reiterated the fact that the Ertiga with a VGT is an able highway cruiser but does require smart up/downshifting on ghats with full load. In reality, it doesn't disappoint you at all.

The reason to quote you was because I did about your opinions and reviews about the Ertiga when you owned one and there is a stark contrast in what you felt then and now although I have zero qualms to admit that the Lodgy with 110BHP would any day go a better job than the 90BHP from the Ertiga.

Or are you referring to an altogether car when you say "Previous car"?
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 22:27   #236
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Do NOT post misleading information. Do NOT post biased messages. We have ZERO TOLERANCE toward fanboy posts.

Keep it real. Keep it factual. Accept each car for the good as well as the bad.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2015 at 16:04.
swiftdiesel is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th June 2015, 13:47   #237
BHPian

A great review and thanks for all the wonderful pictures. Did not realize the versatility of Lodgy by looking at it from outside.
Few of them on the run here and can see a few in my office parking lot already. If we remove Eeco, Omni and Bolero, Lodgy is already in 3rd position with ~1950 vehicles in May.

Good luck Renault - hope you fight hard to bring competition with Innova who just keep increasing their prices!!
Old 15th June 2015, 21:23   #238
BHPian

Lodgy Stepway variant is launched with 60,000 premium on top of RxZ variant.

Quote:
Renault India has started sales of the Lodgy Stepway, which will now be the top-end variant of the MPV. At the time of launching the regular Lodgy in April this year, Renault India’s CEO and Managing Director, Mr. Sumit Sawhney, told Indian Autos Blog that the Stepway variant would be introduced in “due course”.

The Lodgy Stepway is based on the top-end RxZ variant in the 110 PS state of tune. And like the RxZ, Renault will offer the Lodgy Stepway in 7 and 8 seat variants.
Towards the front, the Lodgy Stepway gets a new grille with chrome decorative elements, and a plastic skid plate. The sides of the MPV get a dark finish for the alloy wheels, body cladding over the wheel arches, and the side rub rails which are body colored on the regular Lodgy, come in a black plastic on the Stepway variant. ‘Stepway’ stickers on the front doors are the sole defining badges/logos on the car. Also, the roof rails of the Lodgy Stepway are painted in a silver finish, which are meant to coordinate with the skid guards.

There are no changes to the interior save for Renault-branded scuff plates. The Lodgy Stepway is priced INR 60,000 more than the standard Lodgy (on-road prices).

There are no mechanical changes to the Lodgy Stepway however. It continues to be powered by the 1.5-liter K9K diesel engine capable of 110 PS and 245 Nm of torque, and is paired to a 6-speed manual transmission. The ARAI-rated fuel efficiency of the Lodgy 110 PS stands at 19.98 km/l.

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/06/r...aunched-181412
Old 16th June 2015, 10:08   #239
BHPian

Some pics: With no apparent increase in Ground clearance not sure if it make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-renaultlodgystepwayfrontquarter1024x768.jpg  

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-renaultlodgystepwayrearquarters1024x768.jpg  

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-renaultlodgystepwayside900x675.jpg  

rahul412 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 11:12   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Innova killer underwhelmed by our market?

Its been on sale for what, 2 months now - I saw exactly 1 in this whole time. Private registration. Seems like cabbies are staying away for now. Makes me wonder, what will it take to dethrone the Innova in the commercial space.

Most Viewed