Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2016, 11:32   #376

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Today Renault's position in India is similar to where Tata Motors were a couple of years back, low sales coupled with too many models with irrelevant variants. The engine option is also neither exciting in their products. Renault like other car manufacturers who have failed in India are neither the best choice for first time buyers nor they have a capable vehicle for people who are upgrading from hatchbacks or sedans. I am wondering myself how did I buy a Duster, which has nothing in it to justify for the price I paid. Did Renault come to India to sell a car like Kwid ? Even if they stop the production of Lodgy, Scala or Pulse nobody will notice. A good vehicle Duster is fading away into history, doing stickering jobs and paint work will not change the mindset of people to buy a Renault Car. I am unable to understand the accountability of leadership in companies like Ford, Renault, Nissan and GM. If a car manufacturer cannot manage the costs, get rid of creature comforts and provide a safe car for the people. Outsource work which can be done at the dealer level, this way a customer can choose what level of customisation he wants in his car and not worry of being unsafe in a car ridden with creature comforts.
My study is that Renault is positioning the Lodgy to compete with ertiga, hence they have reduced the price and features to increase the volume and presence on road. RXL is still a good buy below 1 million price. One of my friend bought an 2015 RXL 110 8 seater for less than 9L on road in pune which is far better than an ertiga in cost, comfort and similar features like ertiga. My RXZ 110 is performing well as compared to my Previous ertiga ZDI till 4500kms since July 16. As the volumes would increase service cost would reduce. Lodgy with its suspension and 110 power is delivering awesome performance on Highways except for turbo lag in lower RPMs. Increases in volume would increase the probability of getting a better resale value for the Lodgy in coming years.
Old 17th October 2016, 05:42   #377
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is a really bad move. Trying to bring a product under 10L is fine, but doing it at this stage is useless. All the prices should have been well thought at the time of launch.
Now, reducing the price at the cost of safety equipment is even a dumber move! No excuses for Renault to do it. As I mention, the manufacturers should cut down those features which can be retrofitted at the dealer / aftermarket shops and not those which can't be retrofitted at all!! ABS, Airbags, Rear wiper Cruise control etc all fall in the latter section. I don't mind them dropping the touch screen / alloy wheels / leather seats etc. Even if I discount all other stuffs, removing Airbag from the vehicle to cut down cost is a really silly move!
Quite so! - removing airbags from an existing model in this sector shows amazing lack of awareness of the sensibilities involved. With the current flurry of discussions/debates on NCAP ratings & safety recalls by various players, shows the degree of awareness of the buying public about such issues.

Leaving aside the issue of quality control mechanisms of airbag suppliers (which I have highlighted elsewhere, drawing the parallel of auto-inflatable life-rafts in the maritime industry in our country), what stands out in the public consciousness is the improved NCAP ratings of models with air bags as opposed to the ratings of the same models without them.

O.T. - Notwithstanding everything said above, it is an unfortunate fact of life that safety consciousness (as opposed to awareness!) is abysmally poor in our country. And - in my mind at least - this translates to a very low value-of-life threshold. A result of the exploding population growth, perhaps? And all the associated economic ills of a developing economy that goes with it.

Last edited by shashanka : 17th October 2016 at 05:45.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 17:06   #378
BHPian

Took a test drive of Lodgy (110 PS RXZ) today and found it to be quite a spacious and a fun to drive car.

The two problems that I noticed was a really hard clutch (the SA told me that this was only in the demo vehicle). The other turn-off was the quality of resolution on the entertainment system. Again, the SA told me that Stepway has a better resolution.

Overall, the car handles well and has oodles of space. The stepway version (I saw it in the showroom) looks quite good as well!

Any owners of Lodgy willing to share their experiences to help me make my decision? I did read a few comments about poor service and niggles in the car which is playing on my mind!
Old 19th January 2017, 19:16   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xadityax View Post
Any owners of Lodgy willing to share their experiences to help me make my decision? I did read a few comments about poor service and niggles in the car which is playing on my mind!
I've used the Lodgy for almost 2 years now and I'm clocking 30k+ kms. Yes, the clutch is hard and it's a pain in slow moving traffic. I've gotten used to it but the fact remains that it's hard. The entertainment system has different brightness settings but on a bright sunny day you do have that washed out look on the screen, I'm afraid. I can't comment on the service much as I see you're in a different city but here, in Chennai, one service centre is bad and the other one is extremely good - the place I frequent.

The good bits - the engine is very tractable, a hoot to drive on the highways and truly this is a highway car more than anything else. The 6th gear is a definite boon and makes for relaxed driving and so does the cruise control. I'm not sure Stepway has cruise control though. Haven't faced any problems yet other than regular servicing. My lack of posts in this thread is testament to that. It's very much like a Japanese car, in the sense, it just goes about doing its job. I don't know about the mileage because I'm not bothered about it. Such a shame it flopped because it's a good overall package.
Old 19th January 2017, 20:23   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I've used the Lodgy for almost 2 years now and I'm clocking 30k+ kms. Yes, the clutch is hard and it's a pain in slow moving traffic. I've gotten used to it but the fact remains that it's hard. The entertainment system has different brightness settings but on a bright sunny day you do have that washed out look on the screen, I'm afraid.
Thanks for your prompt reply! The test-drive vehicle had merely been driven for 9800km and I could feel the hardness of the clutch. This could be a nightmare driving through the bumper-to-bumper traffic of Gurgaon! It was a sunny day today, so I know what you mean by the "washed out screen"! To add, I also found the braking a tad too hard - not sure if this is a function of the test drive vehicle.

On the whole, the clutch, service issues, and infotainment system continue to bother me! The driving was fun, and so was the space that the vehicle had to offer
Old 19th January 2017, 20:45   #381
BHPian

Quote:
On the whole, the clutch, service issues, and infotainment system continue to bother me! The driving was fun, and so was the space that the vehicle had to offer
Renault could have easily overcome the hard clutch issue by offering the AMT in the Lodgy. Especially when the mechanically identical Duster already has it. Also the AMT could have easily been the Lodgy's USP as the Ertiga does come come with Diesel + AT combo.
But NO!! Its as if Renault wants the Lodgy to fail or is simply not bothered.
However what Renault does do is delete out safety features on the car!! Absurd!!
Maybe it's just that they are happy with the Kwid numbers.

Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 19th January 2017 at 20:49.
Old 19th January 2017, 20:54   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Renault could have easily overcome the hard clutch issue by offering the AMT in the Lodgy.

However what Renault does do is delete out safety features on the car!! Absurd!!
I asked them exactly the same question - I was said no plans for AMT for Lodgy. The company seems to be basking in the glory of Kwid and planning in advance for Kaptur!

Safety features -? Did they remove anything?
Old 21st January 2017, 05:55   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Took a test drive of Lodgy (110 PS RXZ) today and found it to be quite a spacious and a fun to drive car.

The two problems that I noticed was a really hard clutch (the SA told me that this was only in the demo vehicle). The other turn-off was the quality of resolution on the entertainment system. Again, the SA told me that Stepway has a better resolution.

Overall, the car handles well and has oodles of space. The stepway version (I saw it in the showroom) looks quite good as well!

I have had the car now for 11 months now and clocked more than 10,000 km. Was hesitant to buy in the beginning due to the looks and the brand.

But after a few weeks of purchase don't hesitate it. If you have a huge family with small kids, go ahead you won't regret it.

Regarding the infotainment system, I have changed it to a Blaupkunt with rear seat entertainment. Upgraded the wheels to 15 inch. Regarding the clutch, yes I agree. But it hardly makes a difference.

It's an easy car to drive compared to competition.
Ehsank78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 19:56   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsank78 View Post
I have had the car now for 11 months now and clocked more than 10,000 km. Was hesitant to buy in the beginning due to the looks and the brand.

Thanks @Ehsank78 for your comments! So it appears the clutch being hard is not a real problem after all (and is more of a norm).

The sales agent got back to me again this morning. He is bringing a new car (Stepway version) for test drive! I will keep the forum posted on my experience with it
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:22   #385

Quote:
Thanks @Ehsank78 for your comments! So it appears the clutch being hard is not a real problem after all (and is more of a norm).

The sales agent got back to me again this morning. He is bringing a new car (Stepway version) for test drive! I will keep the forum posted on my experience with it
No Regrets till date since July 2016. Bought a 110PS RXz 8 Seater for price less than top end ertiga with added features. After driving a ertiga for last 4years, I am enjoying the French beast on the highways with a little lag in turbo for the city ride. Pleasure in driving and comfort complimented by my parent's it's a value for money to have one. Completed 10K on the odometer with zero complaints in last six months with a average milage of 14.5 to 16km/ltr and max up to 17.5 km/ltr with 7 on board on long high way cruise. Happy to find a good replacement for ertiga at half price of costly innova. One should definitely consider Lodgy. 110 when it comes to a comfortable MPV option.
Rajesh Wagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:14   #386
BHPian

Quote:

One irritating thing I have faced till now which I hope is not a decision maker is the DRL's. Even today passerby's inform me that my headlight is switched on.
Old 31st January 2017, 18:57   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Renault could have easily overcome the hard clutch issue by offering the AMT in the Lodgy. Especially when the mechanically identical Duster already has it. Also the AMT could have easily been the Lodgy's USP as the Ertiga does come come with Diesel + AT combo.
But NO!! Its as if Renault wants the Lodgy to fail or is simply not bothered.
Maybe it's just that they are happy with the Kwid numbers.

Regards,
Varun
I checked Maruti's website. It does not come with a Diesel + AT combo. It does come with a Petrol + AT combo.
Old 17th February 2017, 12:25   #388
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what's the air pressure you maintain on your Lodgys?

I've been filling Nitrogen and I've always filled to the recommended pressure by Renault which is 35 (Front) and 42 (!)(Back) which is quite high by normal standards. I'm pretty naïve when it comes to telling a good ride quality from a bad one and recently one of my friends travelled in my car and he complained the ride was hard. He works in the tyre industry and knows a thing or two. He literally pleaded with me to reduce the pressure to an all round 35 psi of Nitrogen, which I did; I should admit the ride is much better now. Again, I'm not an expert at identifying great ride quality but I could feel some difference.

My question is whether I stick to the manufacturer's guidelines (which I have, these past 2 years) or listen to my expert friend who's warned that my suspension will be knackered if I continued with such high pressure at the back. What do you reckon, guys? Renault or my friend?

By the way, the car is never fully loaded and it's usually 3-4 people and some luggage once in a while.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 17th February 2017 at 12:27.
Old 21st February 2017, 06:25   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Guys, what's the air pressure you maintain on your Lodgys?

I've been filling Nitrogen and I've always filled to the recommended pressure by Renault which is 35 (Front) and 42 (!)(Back) which is quite high by normal standards. I'm pretty naïve when it comes to telling a good ride quality from a bad one and recently one of my friends travelled in my car and he complained the ride was hard. He works in the tyre industry and knows a thing or two. He literally pleaded with me to reduce the pressure to an all round 35 psi of Nitrogen, which I did; I should admit the ride is much better now. Again, I'm not an expert at identifying great ride quality but I could feel some difference.

My question is whether I stick to the manufacturer's guidelines (which I have, these past 2 years) or listen to my expert friend who's warned that my suspension will be knackered if I continued with such high pressure at the back. What do you reckon, guys? Renault or my friend?

By the way, the car is never fully loaded and it's usually 3-4 people and some luggage once in a while.
I would go with the expert friend or if you have any doubts you can check with any tyre store. I would recommend tyrestore in Greams road, they are pretty good.
Ehsank78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:12   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsank78 View Post
I would go with the expert friend or if you have any doubts you can check with any tyre store. I would recommend tyrestore in Greams road, they are pretty good.
Thanks for that. What pressure do you maintain?

Most Viewed