Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 18:08   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Thanks for that. What pressure do you maintain?
No idea about the pressure. All I know is its filled with nitrogen
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:45   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

My neighbor who has a Lodgy, does regular long trips with this son at the 3rd row (His son is a 6 footer, around 17 year old). They vouch for the comfort even at the 3rd row. Only if it had an automatic

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd February 2017 at 10:47.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 00:44   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that. What pressure do you maintain?
I was asked to fill up to 35 psi max pressure for all 4 tyres by the sales adviser at the time of delivery. I have been maintaining it at 35 psi irrespective of the load and the ride seems to be quiet comfortable. I think you should follow your friend's advice.
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 18:53   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsank78 View Post
One irritating thing I have faced till now which I hope is not a decision maker is the DRL's. Even today passerby's inform me that my headlight is switched on.
Same here. Everytime i went on road, at least 1 passerby informs me about light on.

So currently i am planning to add DRLS at grill level. Inquired in local shops - price range is given as 4500K to 12K & upwards as per budget & having additional functionalities.

But i am looking at just a DRL bulbs replacement. So just have A simple LED plate .Checking on Ebay & AliExpress. There are some good & reasonable options available.

My plan is to get wiring attached to DRL bulb wire & remove those bulbs. So that it will be less annoying & more attractive LED DRLs.
tushar_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:00   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Same here. Everytime i went on road, at least 1 passerby informs me about light on.

So currently i am planning to add DRLS at grill level. Inquired in local shops - price range is given as 4500K to 12K & upwards as per budget & having additional functionalities.

But i am looking at just a DRL bulbs replacement. So just have A simple LED plate .Checking on Ebay & AliExpress. There are some good & reasonable options available.

My plan is to get wiring attached to DRL bulb wire & remove those bulbs. So that it will be less annoying & more attractive LED DRLs.
But ensure beforehand that it doesn't violate the company warranty policy. Also, electrical ratings should be matched before attempting any such change.
Old 12th April 2017, 15:47   #396
Team-BHP Support

The Stepway edition of the Renault Lodgy was launched in June 2015. Back then, it was being offered in just the RXZ trim in two variants - 7 seater and 8 seater. Next came the Lodgy World edition in July 2016 which was basically the Stepway edition being offered in a lower RXL trim with different badging. IMO this didn't quite work out the way Renault wanted it to as there was no significant change in the number of MPVs being sold and the sales graph was crawling on the same level. In December last year Renault finally decided to expand the range and offer the Stepway in more variants. Now it is being offered in 5 variants (related news). After this if you have a look at the price list of the Lodgy, you will notice that the World edition is just Rs. 1000 more than the corresponding Stepway edition in the RXL trim (both 85 PS and 110 PS)!

Anyways, I had a look at the Lodgy Stepway RXZ 110 PS 7-seater edition recently.

The official review mentioned that the 185/65 R15 tyres were a size too small for the MPV, and Renault had introduced the 16 inch alloys on the Stepway when it was launched in five new variants. The 16 inch alloys however do not come with the 215/65 R16 tyres found on the Duster (link to image). The alloys on the Lodgy are shod with 195/55 R16 tyres and that too only on the RXZ Stepway 110 PS. The tyres offer decent grip, but the car was empty and hence cannot comment on the way the 16 inch alloys performed when loaded.

Time for some pictures...
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-1.jpg

It doesn't look like an MPV head-on:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-2.jpg

The 4,522 mm length and the boxy rear gives it away though. Note the 16 inch alloys wrapped around 195/55 R16 tyres:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-12.jpg

Bling Bling:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-3.jpg

Faux skid plates up front...
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-4.jpg

... and rear:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-5.jpg

The badge that separates it from the World:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-6.jpg

That's not the only trim you will see the Stepway in:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-7.jpg

I seriously liked the rear seats. Very nice and soft but for me (5'10") the leg-room was close to none!
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-8.jpg

Sweet food tray with a cupholder:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-9.jpg

A parting shot:
Renault Lodgy : Official Review-11.jpg
Omkar is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 18:27   #397
BHPian

2017 Stepway looks decent. Can we request a detailed review for the same or at least a comparative between the original and the new one. This may help one decide against other options like BRV, Ertiga and Crysta.
kbishwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 23:52   #398
Senior - BHPian

At 32000 kms, I realised it was time to bid goodbye to the Lodgy and move on to something smaller. It had served me well albeit with some engine niggles. The biggest challenge I faced was to try and sell it in the used car market. Well, eventually had to settle for a bargain basement price as I wanted to move on. I've bought a Hyundai i20 now and happy with it. Signing off from this thread.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 07:47   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 32000 kms, I realised it was time to bid goodbye to the Lodgy and move on to something smaller. It had served me well albeit with some engine niggles. The biggest challenge I faced was to try and sell it in the used car market. Well, eventually had to settle for a bargain basement price as I wanted to move on. I've bought a Hyundai i20 now and happy with it. Signing off from this thread.
First of all, many congratulations swiftdiesel on getting yourself a Hyundai i20 . I am a bit perplexed that you are moving from a big MUV to a hatch. I assume you might have opted the Lodgy for the interior space it offers and ability to carry 7-8 people with their luggage. Is this no longer a requirement?

What were those engine niggles that you faced (I am sorry if you have already mentioned those in this thread). If you don't mind, could you please share how much was the resale value and how much hit you had to take compared to the on-road price that you bought it for?

Since you have clocked sizeable amount on kms on your Lodgy, I would suggest not to sign off just yet from this thread. Your experience with Lodgy would be of immense help to other Lodgy owners and they would like to seek your guidance. So my request to you is stay tuned to this thread
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 08:01   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
First of all, many congratulations swiftdiesel on getting yourself a Hyundai i20 . I am a bit perplexed that you are moving from a big MUV to a hatch. I assume you might have opted the Lodgy for the interior space it offers and ability to carry 7-8 people with their luggage. Is this no longer a requirement?
Thank you AutoIndian! . The reasons for downgrading to a hatchback is explained in my upcoming first i20 review. Short version: it's too big and cumbersome for city driving and my highway trips have become rare.

Quote:
What were those engine niggles that you faced (I am sorry if you have already mentioned those in this thread). If you don't mind, could you please share how much was the resale value and how much hit you had to take compared to the on-road price that you bought it for?
Again, look out for my upcoming review. I'm explaining the engine problem in detail there. Sold it for 7.25 lac! :(

Quote:
Since you have clocked sizeable amount on kms on your Lodgy, I would suggest not to sign off just yet from this thread. Your experience with Lodgy would be of immense help to other Lodgy owners and they would like to seek your guidance. So my request to you is stay tuned to this thread
Absolutely! I'll definitely be around to answer queries if any. Just thought I'll let everyone know. Thanks again AutoIndian.
swiftdiesel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 08:10   #401
BHPian

The Lodgy looks to be perfect rental car for the rare long trips with 7-8 people on board. I am surprised to see no self-drive company offering it yet, atleast in Bengalooru. Does anyone know if it is available for rent?
Old 11th May 2017, 08:12   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you AutoIndian! . The reasons for downgrading to a hatchback is explained in my upcoming first i20 review. Short version: it's too big and cumbersome for city driving and my highway trips have become rare.
There you go, I was waiting to hear this from the "horses mouth". Lodgy was a strong contender for me as well 2 years back, when I was looking to replace my pre-worshipped Innova. I had taken extensive test drive of 30+ kms. It is no doubt a very capable highway machine. But as you have rightly pointed out it's too big and cumbersome for city driving where we spent most of our time. With the 2810 mm wheelbase (60 mm longer than Innova) and 5.55 Meter turning radius it becomes a nightmare in tight parking spots and narrow streets. That is the sole reason I vetoed against it otherwise my family was sold on the Lodgy.

Quote:
Again, look out for my upcoming review. I'm explaining the engine problem in detail there. Sold it for 7.25 lac! :(
Will surely watch out this space. Renault engines, especially the 1.5dCi is known for its robustness, hence wondering what would the problems that you faced.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 17:28   #403
BHPian

Quote:
. Lodgy was a strong contender for me as well 2 years back, when I was looking to replace my pre-worshipped Innova.
Why then Lodgy couldn't ever register an impressive sale, despite being a great value for money?

How will you rate the following 4 cars from the point of view of people mover and neglecting price difference:
1. New Lodgy
2. TUV 300
3. Innova Crysta
4. Honda BRV

Thank you
Old 17th May 2017, 18:17   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Why then Lodgy couldn't ever register an impressive sale, despite being a great value for money?
When people purchase cars they just don't look at the VFM aspect, they also look for after sales support, what a particular car has to offer against the competition and at what price. When Lodgy was launched its pricing was alarmingly close to the Innova (which was already well settled in the market), so comparisons with Innova were inevitable. However the wafer thin after sales support network was a deterrent. So the tour or cab operators never considered the Lodgy seriously. Also for extended families (4+2 or 5+2), Lodgy was too big a vehicle for city driving, hence they inevitably settled for Ertiga, which was almost 3-4 lacs cheaper

Quote:
How will you rate the following 4 cars from the point of view of people mover and neglecting price difference:
1. New Lodgy
2. TUV 300
3. Innova Crysta
4. Honda BRV

Thank you
Well its hard to ignore the price when you have to make a purchasing decision. However if I had to turn a blind eye to the price (as you said) and rate them from the point of view of people mover, then my rating would be as below (in the descending order) and the reason for the same.

1. Innova Crysta (9/10):
It is not by any fluke that Innova is the king of MUV segment. Spacious, roomy cabin, each passenger gets an individual overhead AC vent, quite usable third row of seats, side folding 3rd row creates a flat floor. This being a ladder on frame car is robust and abuse friendly and carry loads of passengers without breaking a sweat.
2. New Lodgy (8/10):
This car too can carry passengers for long distances in ultra comfort (Its wheelbase is greater than that of the Innova). It also provides individual AC vents. Renault suspension is usually robust. Only issue I perceive with this car is driving a fully loaded Lodgy in the ghats will be a challenge. The CG (Center of Gravity) will be shifted towards the rear and the rear wheels will have more traction. This being a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) car may result in wheel spins. Also the large turning radius will be a bane in the twisties.
3. TUV 300 (7/10):
The 3rd row seats are a compromise and having only front AC vents it takes time for the chilled air to reach the last row. However this too being a ladder on frame car it is quite robust and abuse friendly. Even the 3rd row passengers, who are directly sitting on the top of rear wheels get a cushy ride and don't get jarred by bumps or potholes. My brother-in-law, who is 44 years old and 75 kilos occupied the 3rd row seat for the distance of 300 kms, but never felt uncomfortable.
4. Honda BRV (6/10):
This being built on a hatchback platform has its shortcomings in terms of cabin space and being a monocoque has restrictions on load carrying capacity. Small family (4 adults & 2 kids) would be comfortable, but having 6 or more adults would be a squeeze and the suspension will be overworked.

Assumptions: The above ratings are solely my discretion and arrived at by giving most importance to the fact that how comfortable the passengers would feel in each car for long distance travel. I have driven old Innova for one year (18K kms), the Lodgy for 30 kms during test drive and TUV for last 1.5 years (22K kms). Haven't had a chance to drive BRV (so my comments on BRV may be taken with a pinch of salt )

Last edited by AutoIndian : 17th May 2017 at 18:19.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 18:59   #405
BHPian

Quote:
2. New Lodgy (8/10):
This car too can carry passengers for long distances in ultra comfort (Its wheelbase is greater than that of the Innova). It also provides individual AC vents. Renault suspension is usually robust. Only issue I perceive with this car is driving a fully loaded Lodgy in the ghats will be a challenge. The CG (Center of Gravity) will be shifted towards the rear and the rear wheels will have more traction. This being a FWD (Front Wheel Drive) car may result in wheel spins. Also the large turning radius will be a bane in the twisties.
Well, my brother bought a Lodgy two years back when it was launched. We stay in the same apartment complex and I get to drive it a lot. We did consider Ertiga but ruled it out for cramped interiors and ride quality as compared to Lodgy. Recently completed a 6000 kms trip from Bangalore to Himanchal Pradesh and back with full load and luggage on roof. This is one heck of a highway cruiser, never breaks a sweat and just keeps going. Never had any problem driving in hills and Himalayas are mighty! The only trick is to know when to be in which gear, rest all is good.

We earlier had an Indica V2 which we used for 14 years and then sold it off. Compared to it, Renault's after sales is much better than Tata and also since the engine is a proven one, we don't need to go to service center. In last two years we have just gone 4 times for regular service. It just works, no rattles, no squeaks, nothing. The only thing to keep in mind is to get the 110bhp one, the 85 bhp is grossly underpowered for highways.

We love our Lodgy for tension free ownership.
ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed