Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2015, 12:16   #166
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So overall, what has Tata created here? Well, it's a minor facelift, with some minor changes under the hood. There is one thing which Tata didn't upgrade = the elephant in the room called "Component Quality". Our test Storme with 4,000 kms on the odo didn't have a working 4x4 low box. Probably a faulty clutch sensor? Barely 100 kms into the test, the service light came on. 50 kms later, the SUV refused to start. Somehow, I could make her start by holding the key in crank position, shifting to first and then back to neutral (only a Safari owner would attempt these tricks). It's things like these which scare away countless buyers. Tata needs to get its act together in terms of product quality & reliability.
Tanveer, now I can put 2 and 2 together and understand your comment on the Duster AWD review thread regarding not buying a Safari again for the time being. Thanks for the in-depth review. Helped me make up my mind to steer clear of the new Storme and plonk money into my Dicor to keep it for some more time. A lot of money it is though!
Old 1st July 2015, 12:36   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If a pikup from the same stable and product line gets a certain rating, it would be a very rare manufacturer whose passenger (S)UV would score lower. I frankly cannot see it happening. Human safety would (should?) always score above the safety of farm/dairy/industrial produce.
But, this has already happened with Tata. The 4x2 is no longer NCAP compliant while Aria 4x4 is and so is the Xenon.
That is why, until the storme is sold in countries requiring NCAP, you will never know. And that is the reason India came up crash test rules so that we know the safety ratings of all cars sold here.
Old 1st July 2015, 13:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, this has already happened with Tata. The 4x2 is no longer NCAP compliant while Aria 4x4 is and so is the Xenon.
That is why, until the storme is sold in countries requiring NCAP, you will never know. And that is the reason India came up crash test rules so that we know the safety ratings of all cars sold here.
I thought you clarified that Tata did some mods on the 4x2 Aria which made it go down the ratings? Could it be that the Aria was designed ground up as a 4x4 and these after-thought (market pressure) mods were the result?

That may not then be the case for either the Safari or the Storme, where as I understand it, they are designed ground up as 4x2's and a 4x4 is made to order.

But I agree. A country which has brought down a multi billion dollar giant for a lowly 10 buck packet of noodles should surely have crash safety norms in place for million rupee vehicles. High time.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 14:00   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Its very surprising that a Xenon with 2 airbags scored same as a modern design XUV with 6 airbags.
Airbag will inflate before the first impact and deflate immediately. Subsequent impacts are not supported. The only feature that helps a passenger are the seat belts, seats and head restraints apart from the rigid body shell.

So the results should not be surprising, as the airbags's contribution to safety is not as important as the structure, ABS, ESP.

But when it comes to curtain airbags, maybe they are important than front airbags as they help in preventing head colliding with the pillar or glass as they are closer than the dash or windshield.

Safari in my opinion is much safer or is at par with an XUV which has all mechanical and electronic additions. Again its a speculation and will hold good until proven with a crash report.

The high CG and weight are a problem, but all passenger cars and even trucks are equiped with anti roll bars at front and rear to prevent rollover within rated load and certain speeds. Knowing the capabilities of the vehicle and being within the range is the most important factor in being safe.
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

The biggest endorsement for the Storme : http://www.rediff.com/business/speci...s/20150702.htm
rrsteer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:40   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The biggest endorsement for the Storme : http://www.rediff.com/business/speci...s/20150702.htm
My younger brother works for him, at Bombay House. The above is true. Mr. Mistry apparently is like any other normal bawaji besotted with his drive, and his Storme is the same first gen one like ours, him picking it up almost immediately after the launch. And from what I hear, regardless of being the Chairman, it is most always parked on the road outside the building like every other executive's car there.

Mumbai!

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd July 2015 at 12:46.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:10   #172
Team-BHP Support

Hmm. Does this mean Mistry doesn't have faith in the reliability of Aria Pride 4x4?

2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-14357344872866.jpg

Image source: Business Standard
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:26   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Hmm. Does this mean Mistry doesn't have faith in the reliability of Aria Pride 4x4?

Attachment 1388538

No, it may actually mean he doesn't have faith in the reliability of Range Rover!
safari_lover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
No, it may actually mean he doesn't have faith in the reliability of Range Rover!
Range rover is aslso part of his company buddy.

Maybe he is literelly following Mr.Ratan Tata, who also used to come in a Safari.
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:05   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
facing an issue with the Blaupunkt system installed in my Storme. It seems to have developed a mind of its own. Keeps on beeping while travelling through all the options on the screen be it Call mode, radio mode, AV mode. When it happens in the Radio Mode all pre set channels get set to one radio frequency only. The touchscreen becomes unresponsive and I have to use the remote only. I release the headset unit keep the connectors disconnected for a while and then reset it. It sometimes works fine and sometimes its back to the beep. Have tried to clean the connectors with thinner but still of not much help.

Anyone else facing this issue with the unit??
Hi I have been facing the same set of issues in my Storme's Blaupunkt system. I have shown it to concorde people a no. of times and to be honest they have tried their level best to repair it but to no avail. Now they have advised me to go to the Blaupunkt Service Centre.
turbo1787 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:18   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1388538

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post

Maybe he is literelly following Mr.Ratan Tata, who also used to come in a Safari.
Maybe he just likes the Storme more?
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:33   #177

Just to update the forum members from Gurgaon, Delta TASS in Sector 56 has closed down. It seems some other dealer will be taking over the workshop while retaining the old staff. Till then, its only Dhingra and Aristo for us Gaonwallas
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:12   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(Late) Karl Slym used a Range Rover (Blue IIRC), yet his driver mentioned he often used an ARIA too since "both the cars are comparably good, and Mr.Slym being a hands-on person, sought to understand how the cars felt".

The guy who drove me from the Pune plant to Bombay House used to drive Ratan Tata (in the same Aria) when he visited the plant.

This was 2 years ago.

Cyrus Mistry is known to've regularly used the companies flagship car, the Manza, and understand the car well. Result was the Manza Club Class.

Edit : They DO have immense pride & faith in their own cars, it really encourages engineers to see top management use these over other brands.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 2nd July 2015 at 18:23.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:42   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post

I know Range Rover is also part of his company. That is the reason I mentioned it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Maybe he just likes the Storme more?
Of course. I was just trying to be a little sarcastic there!

Last edited by safari_lover : 2nd July 2015 at 21:46.
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:39   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I know Range Rover is also part of his company. That is the reason I mentioned it!

Of course. I was just trying to be a little sarcastic there!
Read somewhere, humour dissected is like dissecting a frog. You know what is inside but the frog dies in the process
Libra is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks