Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:57   #226
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

What I like the most about Storme is the huge space inside it. This can be attributed to it's wide and tall body. While going through the specifications of other SUVs available in India , I have observed that Storme has the widest body with overall width of 1965 mm ( including side foot steps but excluding door mirrors ) and this is only equivalent to Mercedes G-63 AMG !! Of couse Land Cruiser 200 is slightly wider by 5 mm. but afterall it is a massive heavy duty SUV . The power of 150 PS for SUV with 1950 kg body weight is well acceptable. The ride comfort can be compared with the high end luxury SUVs. For my new purchase I was confused selecting between SUV or crossover. The price of Hyundai Creta disappointed me. As my use of SUV is limited , fuel consumption is not a major issue. So now I have decided to opt for Storme LX and look forward to book it after the monsoon. Presently I am using Nano for the last five years and Tata 407 LCV ( agricultural use) for last ten years and I am yet to face any niggle ! And I devotely hope that such luck would be extended further for the Storme too !
koushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:33   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
2) The sales representative informed that altering any electrical components would void the warranty. So installing reverse camera or any navigation devices or additional lights would void the warranty. Is it true?

3) Differences between gold and silver AMC? Opting which one would be on the safer side considering the vehicle.

6) Regarding the discounts, can we bargain for any, from the dealer? Or is it advisable to wait for another 2 or 3 months till october? Do they make much difference? One of my friend advised to take home the vehicle at the year end as there would be jaw dropping prices at year end. I wouldn't mind the year of vehicle as i don't intend to sell the vehicle at all. Are these price differences that huge?
2) On papers, the warranty statement is true. But, get things done at showroom to avoid any future problems. I am sure, TML has reverse camera fixture by themselves. I would suggest you opt for the one that is integrated with the IRVM like how DICOR VX used to come with. Just an amazing equipment.

3) AMC - close your eyes and go for GOLD. Take a minimum of 4yrs/45K KMs as you are anyway not planning to sell it in near future. If possible, go for even a longer duration with higher KM range.

6) If you dont have a real need now for a STORME, wait till year end and am sure you will get a considerable discount. I am expecting it would be around a lakh difference b/w now and year end. Its just about 5 months from now and if you want to spend more time, just take a test drive of other vehicles to do time pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
Status Update:

What I am struggling with :

1. Sense of Speed: This continues to be struggle. Because of the silence, height from road and better ride quality, I still get the feel that the car is ambling lazily while it may be cruising at 90. I normally return from office at lean traffic period and often I have checked myself from speeding beyond a limit because the feel of rushing through is not apparent.

2. Shifting To the Left Lane: While the ORVMs are really big and display complete area, in case of sudden change to left lane, I find that I have to turn my neck all the way to left to see the ORVM. In my esteem, I just have to flick my neck a little to see the view. The solution lies in gettinga wide angle view mirror on the bonnet that is common on fortuners. Plan to get this fixed on the bonnet

Need Your Advice On
1. A colleague told me that I need to watch the temp indicator and till it shows engine sufficiently warmed up, should desist from acceleration and revving up. Any other such advice?

2. Gurgaon roads are filled with water and convert into swim lanes at sudden downpour. Often, I have had to take the storme through these stretches. Being new to this car, I tend to take these in 1st gear at high revs fearing I should not stall in middle. But the engine actually seem to struggle in 1st gear. I would want to shift to 2nd gear but the fear of stall stops me from doing it. Should I shift to the 2nd or higher gear midstream or continue in the current gear at higher revs?

As usual, I look forward to some great advice on my somewhat stupid queries
Struggles:

1) Speed is just your feeling, keep an eye on ODO and be on the right gear for the right speed. you will get used to it.

2) ORVM lookup - yes, there is a difference b/w smaller sedans and Safari. I wouldnt suggest any additional mirror on bonnet. Safari's ORVM coverage is too good and there is almost no blind spot with it. So, turn yourself and do the lane change. Its a good habit anyway.

Advice:

1) Nothing like that I heard of. As long as the temp indicator doesnt go over the RED area, you and your vehicle are good. Enjoy the ride instead of monitoring various gauges

2) Wading through waters is a tricky thing. I had a similar experience the initial times. Riding in 1st gear is a good thing and let the vehicle move on its own. Unless you feel that the vehicle is slowing down due to road level difference or any small obstacles, you dont need to accelerate at all. Anyway, dont rev hard. The problem in changing to 2nd gear is the sudden surge that the vehicle would move front and you will have to accelerate for obvious reasons. Beware that not everyone around you will be on Safari and they will moving slow ! So, 1st gear is the most preferred and let it go on slow.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:17   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
1. A colleague told me that I need to watch the temp indicator and till it shows engine sufficiently warmed up, should desist from acceleration and revving up. Any other such advice?

2. Gurgaon roads are filled with water and convert into swim lanes at sudden downpour. Often, I have had to take the storme through these stretches. Being new to this car, I tend to take these in 1st gear at high revs fearing I should not stall in middle. But the engine actually seem to struggle in 1st gear. I would want to shift to 2nd gear but the fear of stall stops me from doing it. Should I shift to the 2nd or higher gear midstream or continue in the current gear at higher revs?

As usual, I look forward to some great advice on my somewhat stupid queries
Under normal city conditions, you only have to give your engine a few minutes for the lubricants to move around before you start driving at regular revs. No need to keep an eye on temp gauge (unless the needle is going well over half which means there is a problem).

If you drive through the water sensibly, your truck won't stall. If the water is deep (tyres submerged), it is always advisable to drive slow as you can never be sure "what lies beneath". Just enjoy your ride and with time you'll get used to gear / rpm / speed combinations under various conditions.

None of your queries are stupid, it is always advisable to load on information. Information is power!
param22k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:38   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Can you post some pictures of this unit please? Is this with a separate screen mounted on dash or the clip on type? Appreciate some pictures of the camera as well.
Hi, The camera has a separate screen mounted on the dashboard. It is really very convenient as you can see even the smallest of obstacles like rumble strip, or a stone or a dog or a small child - things that are not visible to you while you reverse looking over your shoulder because of the truck's height. I will try and take the pics on my mobile and post it here in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Under normal city conditions, you only have to give your engine a few minutes for the lubricants to move around before you start driving at regular revs. No need to keep an eye on temp gauge (unless the needle is going well over half which means there is a problem).

If you drive through the water sensibly, your truck won't stall. If the water is deep (tyres submerged), it is always advisable to drive slow as you can never be sure "what lies beneath". Just enjoy your ride and with time you'll get used to gear / rpm / speed combinations under various conditions.

None of your queries are stupid, it is always advisable to load on information. Information is power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

Struggles:

1) Speed is just your feeling, keep an eye on ODO and be on the right gear for the right speed. you will get used to it.

2) ORVM lookup - yes, there is a difference b/w smaller sedans and Safari. I wouldnt suggest any additional mirror on bonnet. Safari's ORVM coverage is too good and there is almost no blind spot with it. So, turn yourself and do the lane change. Its a good habit anyway.

Advice:

1) Nothing like that I heard of. As long as the temp indicator doesnt go over the RED area, you and your vehicle are good. Enjoy the ride instead of monitoring various gauges

2) Wading through waters is a tricky thing. I had a similar experience the initial times. Riding in 1st gear is a good thing and let the vehicle move on its own. Unless you feel that the vehicle is slowing down due to road level difference or any small obstacles, you dont need to accelerate at all. Anyway, dont rev hard. The problem in changing to 2nd gear is the sudden surge that the vehicle would move front and you will have to accelerate for obvious reasons. Beware that not everyone around you will be on Safari and they will moving slow ! So, 1st gear is the most preferred and let it go on slow.

Prem.
Thanks Param22k and Prem. Those are wonderful advice on all my queries. Regarding wading through water, even I felt that I should not be revving so much but the tyres were submerged and I had never driven at such depths earlier. None of the sedans were attempting the stretch. And a Bolero that did cross before me did it at a much slower pace and lesser revs. Should heed to your advice going forward and keep anxiety levels in check

Quote:
... I am sure, TML has reverse camera fixture by themselves. I would suggest you opt for the one that is integrated with the IRVM like how DICOR VX used to come with. Just an amazing equipment.

Prem.
I had checked with concorde motors and they said that the TML accessory nowadays is a dashboard mounted screen. They were charging 5.5 K for the same. I checked if I could get it from outside and they said that as long as no wires are cut, I could go ahead without affecting the warranty.
Old 24th July 2015, 00:37   #230
BHPian

Quote:
If you dont have a real need now for a STORME, wait till year end and am sure you will get a considerable discount. I am expecting it would be around a lakh difference b/w now and year end.
thank you for your advice. Actually I have a hyundai eon as a daily ride. I even use my thunderbird heavily(I prefer riding my bike any day). So in terms of needs, another vehicle is actually not at all necessary for me currently. But the safari bug bit me hard enough this time(i never had a thought of going for a vehicle loan).

The sales rep called me to inform that delivery would be around 1 month. And for Astern black, it would take a minimum of 45 days to 2 months or even more. So going by your advice, I think if it makes a huge difference, I might painfully wait another month or two, considering the delivery would take a minimum of 2 months for current booking.

Sir,I have a few questions for you. You thought of selling your DICOR for nearly a year, but refrained from it later after e2o. Even the odo reading is not that big. Was the reason storme and why? Any time did you regret owning a dicor? Have you tested the storme(either old Gen or the new) and if yes did you find it even more worthy than dicor? would storme be your next vehicle? Pardon the questionnaire.
Old 24th July 2015, 05:53   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,I have a few questions for you. You thought of selling your DICOR for nearly a year, but refrained from it later after e2o. Even the odo reading is not that big. Was the reason storme and why? Any time did you regret owning a dicor? Have you tested the storme(either old Gen or the new) and if yes did you find it even more worthy than dicor? would storme be your next vehicle? Pardon the questionnaire.
The only requirement for me was to get an automatic vehicle for my daily commute. Hence, thought of selling my DICOR. I test drove Vento AT, Ecosport AT, Elantra AT. Honestly, nothing matched the comfort of Safari.
Every time, I complete the test drive and come back to my Safari, I would think, why the hell should I sell this ! A very honest feeling, not a cinematic one.

One day, E2O discussion came in TBHP and there was a discount of 1.3L as a promotion. I latched on to it and decided to get that for my daily commute. I never thought nor wanted to own 2 cars since I am the only driver. But, the deal and the Electric technology pushed me to do so.

I still find myself in cloud 9 whenever I ride my Safari.

I never regretted my Safari so far. Its about 75K KMs on ODO. Its definitely not much, not very less too.

I haven't taken a long test drive on STORME, but in the short drive itself, am convinced. I had ARIA in my disposal for 2 days through the campaign that Prerena Motors had a couple of years back. I was completely sold for every bit of ARIA. Its just too good a vehicle for Indian public from an India company !

My next vehicle would be STORME or HEXA AT. I am clear on that.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 08:19   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I haven't taken a long test drive on STORME, but in the short drive itself, am convinced. I had ARIA in my disposal for 2 days through the campaign that Prerena Motors had a couple of years back. I was completely sold for every bit of ARIA. Its just too good a vehicle for Indian public from an India company !

My next vehicle would be STORME or HEXA AT. I am clear on that.

Prem.
Wait for the Hexa. I will upgrade to it when it comes. With land rover inputs, 6 usable seats, SUV looks, upgraded power and six speed auto, it's a no brainier upgrade from a Storme.
Old 25th July 2015, 09:48   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Its about 75K KMs on ODO. Its definitely not much, not very less too.
75 k!! It's huge. Looks like I missed out the last few posts of your ownership thread.

The dealer advised me why not upgrade to four wheel drive VX. The delivery would be definitely delayed, but they said they would offer me good discounts if I went for 4x4(not sure of what they meant). My overall ride is similar to yours(from what I learnt in your ownership thread). So is it worth stretching the budget for another 3 or 4 large figures? I know this is a highly repeated question. But my riding usage is very similar to yours. So it would be better knowing your perspective and even other gurus too on this, if they can. will your next vehicle Storme or hexa still be a 4x4 too? I always felt that the more the equipment in tata and mahindra, the more the failures. That's the only reason I was away from top end versions. Also I strongly doubt regarding the service personnel capabilities if any transfer case issues should arise, as safari is very rarely seen at my place. Also I think sales are very low at my place. Even the test drive vehicle is still not ready. It might be available in a week or so.
Old 25th July 2015, 14:28   #234
BHPian

Doc, question is do you really need 4x4 or not. And if you don't have much usage, it is a waste of money on equipment and on maintenance.

In last five years I got struck only once with my Dicor. Front-Left side wheel went almost halfway down between two broken slabs over a drainage and it was on a deep inclane. The right side wheel on rear lost all traction. I got three guys standing on right side foot step and the Dicor walked out easily. I have been to many jungles, slush, deep inclanes and the Dicor Lx I had never gave any problem. Of course they were not hardcore off road tracks.

In my opinion if you don't plan to do a lot off roading, 4x4 is just a good to have feature.

On the delivery time, I think pearl white ones have a shorter waiting period . Mine was delivered in just 10 days.
Old 25th July 2015, 15:21   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Doc, question is do you really need 4x4 or not. And if you don't have much usage, it is a waste of money on equipment and on maintenance.

In my opinion if you don't plan to do a lot off roading, 4x4 is just a good to have feature.

On the delivery time, I think pearl white ones have a shorter waiting period . Mine was delivered in just 10 days.
Pure off-roading is completely out of question for me. My ride is 95% city roads and highways. Very rarely I might encounter the no-road scenario (as in my last 2 trips when I completely followed my Google maps and Nokia here. But with very great difficulty cleared them even in my miniature eon with no significant scrapings). I've only posed that question as many T-bhpians advised for 4x4, when asked the same by other members.

Pearl white and astern white delivery period is about 2 to 3 weeks minimum at my place. But black is the one with longest waiting. And 4x4 would take 10 weeks according to my dealer. It's even the same in hyderabad, when I enquired (I have the option of taking the vehicle either in my current place or from hyderabad).
Old 25th July 2015, 20:13   #236
BHPian

Quote:

Pearl white and astern white delivery period is about 2 to 3 weeks minimum at my place. But black is the one with longest waiting.
Is arctic white and astern black.
Old 27th July 2015, 07:04   #237
BHPian

Quote:
75 k!! It's huge. Looks like I missed out the last few posts of your ownership thread.

The dealer advised me why not upgrade to four wheel drive VX. The delivery would be definitely delayed, but they said they would offer me good discounts if I went for 4x4(not sure of what they meant). My overall ride is similar to yours(from what I learnt in your ownership thread). So is it worth stretching the budget for another 3 or 4 large figures? I know this is a highly repeated question. But my riding usage is very similar to yours. So it would be better knowing your perspective and even other gurus too on this, if they can. will your next vehicle Storme or hexa still be a 4x4 too? I always felt that the more the equipment in tata and mahindra, the more the failures. That's the only reason I was away from top end versions. Also I strongly doubt regarding the service personnel capabilities if any transfer case issues should arise, as safari is very rarely seen at my place. Also I think sales are very low at my place. Even the test drive vehicle is still not ready. It might be available in a week or so.
Go or 4X4 if you have money. If you are in Bangalore, Kudlu gate service center will help you the best for all servicing issues. At least, they have never failed with my 4X4 vehicle in over 5 years.

HEXA would be a AWD for me
Old 27th July 2015, 11:50   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only requirement for me was to get an automatic vehicle for my daily commute. Hence, thought of selling my DICOR. I test drove Vento AT, Ecosport AT, Elantra AT. Honestly, nothing matched the comfort of Safari.
I echo your thoughts to the T!

Last edited by ampere : 27th July 2015 at 13:49. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 27th July 2015, 13:05   #239
BHPian

Hi guys, I am new to this community (my first post) and honestly the Storme has got me hooked on to Team-BHP, it sure helps to keep updating myself through everyone's experiences since the waiting period for a Silver 4x4 at Pune-Concorde is undefined!! Booked my Storme on 5th July and yet to get a confirmed delivery date.

To start with I must thank Tanveer for such a detailed review of the storme! You have nailed it to a level that it must be clear in every ones mind whether or not one should go for this Storme. (circumstantial)

I had initially set my eyes on Thar CRDE and was waiting to get my hands on it for a couple of years. 2015 June is when I decided I shall buy a car for myself. It was very simple in my mind, walk into M&M, book the Thar CRDE based on the test drive I took 2 years back and walk out.

On that special weekend (27th & 28th June) I drove from Mumbai to Pune with my brother and was excited to book the THAR. On the way we decided to stop by Concorde motors just to see the Safari Storme as it has always been a looker and I was not aware of the updates since I last sat in the Dicor 2.2.

The moment I got inside the Safari storme I knew it was way out of my budget, though it felt nice with all the goodies I saw on it (details have been explained way to many times for me to elaborate I think). I was offered a test drive of the old Storme and that was it. We walked out and drove off to M&M who were professional about every little detail from the time we entered the showroom. They want to sell their cars unlike TML.

THAR test drive jeep was prepared and I will be to the point here, I just missed being inside the STORME!!!!

This made me realise that THAR might be unbeatable for off-roading and a looker, though not a city car. 2 years of waiting and one test drive is enough to make me realise, after 12 hours of working I do not want to sit on a bench or ride a horse.

Now that I have extended my budget, I test drive the XUV and Terrano as well. I still miss the Storme and keep going back for its test drive at either U-motors and Pandit in Pune and Wasan in Mumbai. Concorde has not arranged for its test drive car in Pune!!

My review on these cars :

Value for money/Sapiosexual - XUV
Easy to drive/Metrosexual - Terrano
Don't need a road/Sexual - THAR
All of the above - Safari Storme

So I had made my choice, Storme - Silver - 4x4. Finally, I start negotiations feeling like im calling a Govt. organizations salesperson least interested in selling the most expensive model of Storme.

I decide to personally visit Concorde motors and deal with this, the sales person dissuades me from buying a 4x4 however, this is the only showroom which did not give me a private vehicle for a test drive. (one of the selling points in my opinion). So I give up and book the 4x4 against their will and receive a delivery commitment of 30-45 days!!

Since the day of booking, delivery date has not been confirmed and I have not received a VIN number as yet but they are ensuring me that I shall get the delivery by end august.

It has been the worst booking experience and I am hoping it is up hill from here.

My 10 most important observations post test drive-
1. Comfort is unmatchable
2. Clutch is best in its class
3. Turbo lag is not noticeable
4. Engine noise even though minimal still prevalent at high RPM
5. Since I am a first timer I did not even feel the body roll!
6. Last row is very difficult to get into and out of from the back door
7. Finish is not up to the mark as yet - leather seat cover should have been offered with the VX at least
8. Infotainment system is missing
9. Automatic climate control is missing
10. Everybody makes way and you can actually see it because of the great visibility!!

All said and done, I believe that the new Storme is a great 4x4 option available keeping in mind that there is no competition to it in this price range of 15-20 lakhs (not considering AWD). One can use it for city/highway driving and enjoy off-roading as well. I don't think Thar or Fortuner can do that without breaking your back literally or otherwise.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:53   #240
BHPian

Finally my Storme has arrived. I went in to check the vehicle at the stockyard today. Blame it on the expensive real estate in Delhi down town but the location is good enough for an off road trial. Initially I was fuming on how badly the new vehicles are stocked, but couldn't help smiling when I saw the black guy. Parked in foot long grass it seemed to be in surroundings best suited. Wednesday it is when I drive it home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks