Team-BHP - Honda Jazz : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda Jazz : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165791-honda-jazz-official-review-11.html)

Superb review !

About the car , other than the space I do not see anything special here ! It still looks like the old Jazz except for that grill. If skinny 175 mm tires werent enough , Honda decides to launch with XM1 tires ( hope it is only the TD car here that came with XM1 ) when the whole world is using XM2 and 3STs

Morever with the same set of useless Honda dealers around , I will not be surprised if this also goes the Mobilio way in a few months i.e sell close to 1000 units a month . The only ones that might sell might be the petrol engined Jazz . Why would anyone with high usage buy a Honda diesel to 1- Drive hundreds of kms to service their car 2- Be at the mercy of useless dealers to keep their vehicles in road worthy condition

Forget comparing to the i20 or the Polo which are leagues ahead , this isnt even close to the Swift when you look at it as an overall package ( product , quality , after sales service , resale , ..)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyotaFan (Post 3748902)
I would be grateful if you could post the pictures as it will help me clear my doubts.

Attachments weren't working for me last evening, for some odd reason. Let me see if they work now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigkey (Post 3748916)
- Spare wheel being a R14 is in my opinion the worst cost cutting bit in the Jazz.

It will keep reminding you that it's a spare! Can't do anything about it, unless someone wants to dump it by the roadside and pick up a new 15-incher from the tyre shop for the stepney.

Also, as Vidyut pointed out, it's not about R14 or R15 - the Jazz IS severely under-tyred! A car of this size and with those big wheel wells begs for wider rubber.

When the competition has moved on, why is Honda still sticking to the same outdated 175/65 Michelin XM1s baffles me. The least they could have done is given 185/60-section XM2s on the 15-inchers.

If you ask me, I would recommend an upgrade to 195-section Primacy LCs immediately after delivery. (just like the City)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyes (Post 3749038)
Even a 3-4L car has decent wiring and USB connections.

It looks downright ugly, specially because it's the topmost variant. If they had provided this on the V or the SV then it might have made some sense, but now customers won't appreciate these glaring mistakes by Honda's product development department.

You are marketing this as a premium hatchback, set to take on the likes of the Elite i20 (which is a pretty high benchmark in the segment), and you are giving the customer a bunch of wires in the glove box, a circular plastic covering instead of the Start/Stop button, lower-section tyres from the Stone Age, etc.

Your premium Honda customer won't be a happy chappie, even though whatever the Jazz has to offer may please the average Joes.

Oh, one more thing - did I mention that the boot release button under the rear chrome strip is a clicky-type lever, instead of a soft-touch release button? Even I was surprised when I checked it out. You tug it gently towards you to open the boot. Showing it in the pictures to follow.

Photos from the launch:

The dealership welcoming you to the launch.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-e04jctq.jpg

Showroom decked with balloons and Honda-badged ribbons.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-kcmczxq.jpg

The Jazz, waiting eagerly to be unveiled.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-xmzbqfd.jpg

Time for the big unveil, as the confetti-holding boys gear up.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-gfmhldc.jpg

The covers are taken off amidst confetti bursts and loud clapping.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-c3xkifv.jpg

Time to pose for the media.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-0wglccf.jpg

Front view of the unveiled Jazz.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-2jfuhum.jpg

Side view.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-odfywo9.jpg

The rear. Wish the chrome strip wasn't so gaudily prominent.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-rltcjns.jpg

To open the boot, tug on this lever towards you.
No soft-touch button provided.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_6693.jpg

The proud badge.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-mrpclie.jpg

This is the part I am talking about. El cheapo to the touch!
Glossy black would have been classier.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-1gzpfpj.jpg

Would you like to see this in your 10-lakh premium purchase?
Thought Honda might have rectified this in the mass production models.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_6677.jpg

All options on the touchscreen HU of the VX.
Can you make out the microphone hole on the top right? Odd placing.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_6680.jpg

You sit quite low in the rear of the Jazz.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-gsg9rlg.jpg

As is evident by comparing with the front seating position.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-bdf3xkw.jpg

Power bulges on either side of the bonnet try to add some character.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-qdivibo.jpg

This is the V CVT, standing alone in the hangar. No AT/CVT badge seen.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-xumweox.jpg

The only way to distinguish the CVT from the rest of the Jazzes - the factory sticker.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_6730.jpg

How ungainly can a car company make a car's keyhole look? Proof right here.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-qrnnt7v.jpg

This is the Jazz E MT. Notice no variant badging at the rear?
Also the black chrome strip looks WAY better.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-dtjubs9.jpg

Black door handles.
Also seen are the exposed steel wheels, with Honda-badged hubcaps.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-gtse5md.jpg

Long-type antenna at the front, instead of the stubby ones seen on higher variants.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-tuvfokh.jpg

Even the ORVM covering is black on the E MT.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-747yiov.jpg

E MT's steering wheel.
Completely devoid of silver/chrome inserts, and any buttons.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-zirvz7c.jpg

A black, removable plastic covering for the HU's section.
Also notice the aircon knobs and the manual lever to choose inside/outside air flow.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-pjgrg9j.jpg

Seats in the E MT are completely beige.
Fabric felt cheap to the touch too.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-w6soemv.jpg

The SV MT. The glaringly loud chrome bar returns!
Honda Jazz : Official Review-wyxwgrd.jpg

Body-colored door handles and ORVM protector.
Notice the wheel cover?
Honda Jazz : Official Review-irwbzzl.jpg

The SV was locked, but you can make out steering-mounted buttons.
Also the Head Unit is the smaller one, found in the City's SV variant.
Honda Jazz : Official Review-mp0camb.jpg

Thanks Suhaas & Vid6639 for the great review. Had a question on the highway performance of the CVT version. When performing overtakes, do you have to manually downshift from the paddle or just stepping on the gas does the job for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehighwayman (Post 3749334)
Thanks Suhaas & Vid6639 for the great review. Had a question on the highway performance of the CVT version. When performing overtakes, do you have to manually downshift from the paddle or just stepping on the gas does the job for you?

Step on the gas and that will do the trick though there will be a slight delay in response due to CVT's inherent rubber band effect. Not much of a bother once you learn how to handle that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmel (Post 3749083)
You bet. But its not as bad as the Getz. Had the GLX.

Oh no no no, you are talking chalk and cheese here. Hyundai and reliability are like antonyms! No second thoughts on that.

Ok... this is news. I found the Hyundai quality and reliability as good as any Japanese
vehicle. Do you have data to substantiate your bold claims? May be I am missing what you are trying to say...

Had been to Dakshin Honda yesterday night, to check out the Jazz in person. Also got a chance to do a TD of the Petrol Jazz. It was an SV variant.

Initial impressions of the vehicle, mostly subjective aspects as the specs are known to all now(Please note I am coming from Swift Dzire):

As countless others have already mentioned, the petrol engine suffers from heavy low-end lag. In traffic, this engine just does not suddenly wake up. You need to wring it by its neck to get it to respond, especially after whenever you slow down. I just kept pushing the accelerator harder and harder to get that initial decent shove, but it never came. But once above the 2500 rpm, it really was wide awake and makes you smile.

I had though that Honda build quality had gone down the drain with the Brios Amaze and City, but felt it is back on the Jazz. The car just felt premium from the way it drove. I just really liked the car and how it made me feel. The seating and steering feel, the way it went over bumps, the sharp turns, build quality all felt very TIGHT(it was bliss). I felt like I could own this car for decades and it would be just as new. I was surely sold on the car.

I will definitely recommend those who are in the market to never miss the TD of the Jazz. Eager to see if others also feeling same or was it just me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya (Post 3749328)

Forget comparing to the i20 or the Polo which are leagues ahead , this isnt even close to the Swift when you look at it as an overall package ( product , quality , after sales service , resale , ..)

On what basis do you think that the Swift is way ahead of the Jazz as a package? Agreed that the Swift is more fun to drive and has a better service network, but the Jazz beats it in every other area.
As far as after sales are concerned, Honda is pretty good here, if not the best. Resale value is also comparable to the Swift.

I like the Swift for it's fun to drive and cheerful nature but I also feel that it can't compare to the cars like the i20, Polo and Jazz which are clearly half a segment above it.

Also why do you think the i20 and Polo are [b]leagues ahead[b] of the Jazz? Agreed that they offer more premium interiors but the Jazz isn't as bad as it is being made out to be.

When compared with the Polo, the Jazz offers way more space and comfort, as many features and a much better petrol engine. The diesel motor in the Polo isn't super silent either.

I have nothing against any of the above mentioned cars, but I don't understand how people can make judgements without driving or experiencing any of the cars.:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya (Post 3749328)
I will not be surprised if this also goes the Mobilio way in a few months i.e sell close to 1000 units a month .

That's too less IMO.

The City diesel is a blockbuster hit, and the Jazz diesel does a lot of things better than the City diesel -be it fit and finish (panels are better aligned, door glass don't flex anymore when window is operated etc), price to features VFM proposition, the all important mileage figure of 27+ kmpl etc while keeping some of the other values of City such as the space and funky interior design. Refinement, quality of parts etc are lacking in the city as well. The only main downer when compared to the City are those dummy buttons in the cabin.

Yes- then again, City does not face such stalwarts in the segment as Swift and i20.

I think it will not be a team BHP favourite, but will be an average seller in the market for sure. 2.5k - 3k units over the long term is my guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron:) (Post 3749388)
I have nothing against any of the above mentioned cars, but I don't understand how people can make judgements without driving or experiencing any of the cars.:Shockked:

You should probably read his Amaze iDTec experience, to understand his post on dealers and quality.

Hello,

Can the Tbhp reviewers comment about the build quality of the new jazz in terms of solidity of doors and body . Our old jazz seems even more solid than the 2010 honda city .

I am secretly hoping that the feature loaded jazz drops the prices of old generation in the resale market . Getting that at about 3-3.5 lacs would be sweet.

Commenting on Honda Vs Hyundai in terms of reliability our experince has been that the Hondas have been more reliable . Have owned City , Civic and Jazz . In the Hyundis i have owned Accent ( Old 1.5 litre ) , i10 Automatic , and the EON .

All the three Hyundais have had minor issues like switches conking off or door locks giving issues with age and use . Nothing major, but niggles with time . This has not happened with Honda . So my personal experience is that Hondas are ageing better .

However none of the Honda has been purchased recently and i am not sure if the Honda of today is as good as the Honda 3 years back. From reading the Official Honda City review thread i have my doubt that its not as good as it used to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXXX (Post 3749355)
Ok... this is news. I found the Hyundai quality and reliability as good as any Japanese
vehicle. Do you have data to substantiate your bold claims? May be I am missing what you are trying to say...

Owned the Getz for 7 painstaking years. Dive down archives and read the headaches it gave me. Forget the car, the headaches Hyundai gave me for that matter. The boat like drive, the terrible mileage, the choppy suspension, I can go on & on. Hyundai will give more than everything a customer will need, so much so that he will barely use even 1% of the things in its lifetime! Even if I get a Hyundai for free, will keep myself miles away from it.:Frustrati

Back to the Jazz, well lets apply a simple principle. We buy vehicles which have a little character, a language, some emotion. They talk to us. The Honda screams character and good design. Yes it is a watered down version given to us by the company but lets appreciate the fact that the Jazz is at last here.

Excellent review. Small correction in the Polo comparison section: The new Polo does come with a dead pedal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmel (Post 3749419)
Owned the Getz for 7 painstaking years. Dive down archives and read the headaches it gave me. Forget the car, the headaches Hyundai gave me for that matter. So much so that even if I get a Hyundai for free, will keep myself miles away from it.:Frustrati

I get it coolmel. But what you need to understand is that the quality of Hyundai products have improved with leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same with you. They have come a long way, and it shows with their current offerings. The brand perception has changed globally, not just in India.

NOTE:
I don't own a Hyundai, not a fan either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 3749431)
I get it coolmel. But what you need to understand is that the quality of Hyundai products have improved with leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same with you. They have come a long way, and it shows with their current offerings. The brand perception has changed globally, not just in India.

NOTE:
I don't own a Hyundai, not a fan either.

I agree on all parts. But even then Hyundai comes across to me as a company whose products have less character. Products have to scream character! They may have come a long way but first impression is last impression. :)

The 2015 Honda Jazz has around 40% bookings for the petrol CVT variants, as per a report by ACI.

The petrol manual variant has about 25% bookings, while the rest 35% bookings are for the diesel.

Quote:

While the 65-35 petrol-diesel demand split is in line with expectations, the unexpectedly strong response to the automatic Jazz has come as a surprise to Honda as well. Internal estimates had pointed to the petrol automatic bringing in 30 percent of sales, at best. Thanks to the mismatch in demand and planned supply, Honda will tweak further production in favour of the Jazz auto.

But for the advantages in efficiency, a CVT gearbox is also costlier than a typical four-speed torque converter unit. And that’s precisely why the Amaze and Brio, both of which belong to far more price- sensitive segments, won’t get a CVT anytime soon. Honda engineers we spoke to at the Jazz’s launch were also not convinced by the suitability of cheaper automated manual transmissions to Honda cars, one going to the extent of calling it ‘compromised technology’.
ACI

Quote:

On what basis do you think that the Swift is way ahead of the Jazz as a package? Agreed that the Swift is more fun to drive and has a better service network, but the Jazz beats it in every other area.
As far as after sales are concerned, Honda is pretty good here, if not the best. Resale value is also comparable to the Swift.

:

Please buy a diesel engined Honda car and use it extensively ( I drove mine for 35 K kms in 20 months). Try getting the minor niggles sorted out or try asking Honda to intervene . I am sure you will have a different thought to share :)

About resale value / after sales service being comparable to a Maruti , maybe you should read more through the forum . Inspite of 3 dealers available in Bangalore , I used to drive 400 kms one way to Mangalore to service my car

Quote:

I like the Swift for it's fun to drive and cheerful nature but I also feel that it can't compare to the cars like the i20, Polo and Jazz which are clearly half a segment above it.

:

I am also not a fan of the swift ! Think of the peace of mind one would have when spending similar amounts on these 2 cars ! I have never heard of a Swift D seat frame breaking off while driving . My 14 year old Zen with 2.2L Kms on the odo hasnt had as many brake pad changes as my Amaze had in 35K kms . And yeah , its still running on the original seat frame . My Amaze D seat rail broke off ( yes , you heard it right ! ) while driving on a ghat . Before you say , this might be an one-off case , let me tell you even the dealer's TD car has similar issues at the same mileage ( around 22K Kms ) .I am not even talking of the back problems I got into because of driving with this seat for 100 more kms till I reached the closest dealership . Amaze D needs brake pad change less than every 10 K kms . Honda says its normal . Which means , you need a brake pad replacement in between service stops ! If you dont , you spend more on skimming the brake discs :) ...I can go on and on on why the 10 year old Swift will remain a much more reliable overall package than a brand new Honda Diesel !

Quote:

Also why do you think the i20 and Polo are [b]leagues ahead[b] of the Jazz? Agreed that they offer more premium interiors but the Jazz isn't as bad as it is being made out to be.

When compared with the Polo, the Jazz offers way more space and comfort, as many features and a much better petrol engine. The diesel motor in the Polo isn't super silent either.
:

I havent driven the Jazz . But I have extensively driven the other 2 cars mentioned here . I can say based on my experience , that the Jazz wouldnt be much different than the Amaze .

Quote:

I would advice you read other threads properly before you comment on driving " experience". I owned a Honda Diesel engined car for 20 months , drove it over 35K kms and finally sold it to a Maruti used car buyer when Honda dealers themselves refused to buy it back citing " poor resale".

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3749389)
That's too less IMO.

The City diesel is a blockbuster hit, and the Jazz diesel does a lot of things better than the City diesel -be it fit and finish (panels are better aligned, door glass don't flex anymore when window is operated etc), price to features VFM proposition, the all important mileage figure of 27+ kmpl etc while keeping some of the other values of City such as the space and funky interior design. Refinement, quality of parts etc are lacking in the city as well. The only main downer when compared to the City are those dummy buttons in the cabin.

Yes- then again, City does not face such stalwarts in the segment as Swift and i20.

I think it will not be a team BHP favourite, but will be an average seller in the market for sure. 2.5k - 3k units over the long term is my guess.

My inputs are limited to the Diesel engined Jazz . On consistent sales , other than space , I do not see the Jazz offering anything different from what the Brio offers. What is the use of these features or fit n finish if they have a useless after sales service network .