Team-BHP - Honda Jazz : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda Jazz : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165791-honda-jazz-official-review-19.html)

Booked mine yesterday. The cars I considered were the following. VW GT TSI, Avventura/Evo, Elite i20, Jazz. After the TD of Elite, I somehow felt it was missing something. But it was definitely VFM. I never had "ok! This is it" feeling with it. So I wanted to move on with TD of the TSI. I was completely bowled over. My son too loved it. However, getting a nod from the Home Ministry was tough as the rear leg room was small. Dropped Punto due to some weird driving position and the dead pedal coming my way with the clutch.

After waiting till 8th July, we ended up visiting the Honda showroom to see the new JAzz. My wife immediately liked the space it offered and me too being a big fan of Magic seats, just loved them. As everyone mentioned, the engine sucks big time on the low-end, where most of the city driving would fall within. Then realized I can overcome this by proper gearing and so went with the booking. This replaces my 6 years old A-Star as a city car. Delivery is due by this Friday.

PS: The chennai on road price of the VX was 8,53,818 and chose EW, RSA, Nil Dep Insurance and said no to 3M.

Excellent review. A few things defy logic and common sense too!

- Keyhole not integrated with the door handle. Why do that? It just looks plain ugly. Even the Brio has integrated keyhole.

- Cables in the glove box. So to switch USBs, the driver needs to lean into the passenger side glove box? Obviously can't do that while driving. Again, the Brio/Amaze has a more elegant solution.

- Dummy start/stop button cover. I can understand the international models also have this, but isn't it because there will be at least one variant that has the stop/start button?

- Weak low end in petrol. If the low end is weaker than the 1.2 doing duty in the Brio/Amaze, commuting in traffic is going to be a pain. With the Elite i20 also having an average petrol, there was an opportunity to attract buyers looking for a premium petrol hatch.

No doubt the Jazz will sell, but I would call it a missed opportunity by Honda to do a City in the hatchback space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_stripes (Post 3751549)
Excellent review. A few things defy logic and common sense too!

- Keyhole not integrated with the door handle. Why do that? It just looks plain ugly. Even the Brio has integrated keyhole.

- Cables in the glove box. So to switch USBs, the driver needs to lean into the passenger side glove box? Obviously can't do that while driving. Again, the Brio/Amaze has a more elegant solution.

- Dummy start/stop button cover. I can understand the international models also have this, but isn't it because there will be at least one variant that has the stop/start button?

- Weak low end in petrol. If the low end is weaker than the 1.2 doing duty in the Brio/Amaze, commuting in traffic is going to be a pain. With the Elite i20 also having an average petrol, there was an opportunity to attract buyers looking for a premium petrol hatch.

No doubt the Jazz will sell, but I would call it a missed opportunity by Honda to do a City in the hatchback space.

Very valid points..agree with all of them.

Point #1 was not present in the previous Jazz
Point #2 is only a problem in VX variant though.
Point #3 is a really stupid from Honda
Point #4 partly agree. I manage fine by using the gearbox properly and also the car makes up in the strong midrange and top end. Having said that Honda should have tuned the engine and gear ratios to provide better low end response but I guess FE is what Honda has prioritized.

Visited Crystal Honda in Viman nagar, Pune to check out Jazz. It has 2 on display. Sunset Orange in VX trim diesel and Urban Titanium in SV trim petrol. Top end diesel and petrol cost 10.32 lakhs and 8.64 lakhs respectively in Pune!
SA told me Sunset Orange will be available only in top end version and it's metallic! Didn't look so.
Took a small test drive of diesel Jazz. Here are my first impressions
  1. Car looks really good in flesh. It has got its own distinct character and shape. I prefer her looks over i20.
  1. While doors don't make a thud like Germans but are not tin cans either.
  1. Car nose is far from driver seat. Atleast once you sink in the seat, it appears so. It's very spacious inside. Kudos Honda for brilliant packaging.
  1. Loved the seats. They are thick and have good support all over, wrap around you.
  1. The EPS is also nice to steer and easy on hands. Unlike my Figo's HPS unit. Gear shifts are typical Honda. Sure slotting gets. A little over small throw. But not as good as i20.
  1. I was sold on ride quality. Really outstanding.
  1. NVH could be better. Interior quality feels good. But no competition to i20. It looks well screwed together.
  1. A/C felt effective. ICE sound quality is brilliant. Feather Touch controls. But the layout doesn't look symmetric or logical to me. Everything seems like designed in silos. And then put together. No harmony.

Checked out Jazz with my mom today in case I manage to sell Grand i10 ( efforts are ON for the task since last 3 months in order to get a good deal ).

Here are my views :

1) Exteriors. Yes, to each his own, but for me Jazz looked honest and has a distinct class of its own. Like Wagon R. Might not be overtly flashy or as crisp as Elite i20, but it does look nice. Easily looks the best of all cars sold by Honda in India.

2) Interiors. Quality not the best, Elite i20 is slightly better, Polo is in different league. But certainly not bad at all. More than reasonably above average.
The dash which seems way too high in City feels at adequate height in Jazz.
Steering is good to hold.

3) Space and Seats. Awesome. Simply awesome. Mom, for the first time, liked the car and actually took the price list with her.
Front seats are quite accommodating for me, which says a lot as I do have broad shoulders and a heavy upper body.
Seat squab could be better, but its nothing to complain about.
Mom, for the first time after Baleno, Innova and upto some extent Wagon R, said that Jazz seats are near to Baleno. Very comfortable.

Rear Seats are same story. Sufficiently firm and comfortable. Excellent legroom, comfortable incline acts as a resting place. Very comfortable and convenient. This car can beat the "Compact Sedans" any given day, and handsomely at that.

4) Boot space. Huge for a small car. Easy to access too, and icing on the cake : shaped relatively well.

5) General Feel. Not as good as Polo, but certainly not bad. Again, quite a bit above average. Doors felt tough. General feel and build quality are better than Amaze, Brio and Mobilio.

What I feel :

Amaze sales might be hit due to Jazz. At showroom, all were busy in and around Jazz, and rightly so. Its so much better than Amaze.

Jazz is
-> Not overtly flashy like Elite i20, but looks nice on the road.
-> Most probably was designed with practicality in mind it seems, and well done Honda.
-> Offers more practicality than the Compact Sedans.

Lets see if pricing strategy pays off or not for Honda. With such space on offer, it serves the roll of daily drive and weekend family car quite well.

To summarize, I am as impressed with Jazz as I was unimpressed with Amaze/Brio/Mobilio. Could not TD due to time and queue for the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupams (Post 3751472)
Guys,
A hell of confusion between Elite i20 and Jazz. I have never been associated with any of the two (H or H), existing car being Ertiga and looking for a premium hatchback. My primary requirement is petrol (MT) and looking to keep the car for next 5 years (min). Below is what I have broken down the the key factors(in no particular order):
1. Ageing
2. Better Engine - 70% city and 30% highway with min 2 and max 4 adults
3. After Sales & service
4. Cost of ownership
How would you suggest for both the cars in above categories. Help please:

If budget is not a constraint and if you are looking for a car which offers practicality and space, my pick would be Honda Jazz VX. Yes there are some good features missing in Jazz like Push button, auto headlamp, keyless entry, etc. yet there are quite a few useful features which Jazz offers like Magic seats, Reverse parking camera, 7" touchscreen AVN, etc. The space which Jazz offers is unparalleled so this has to be the biggest reason for you to go for this.

If budget is a constraint and you are looking for a value for money top variant loaded with features, my recommendation would be to go with Elite i20 Asta.

If you are not interested in top variant of either Jazz or Elite i20 then I think the choice is pretty simple - go for Jazz SV variant. It is well loaded with features and offers huge space, hence super value for money

Finally, dragged myself to the Honda showroom to check out the Jazz. Whitefield Honda, Whitefield Road, Bangalore was the showroom. Did not do a test drive as the diesel variants were not available. The Sales guys expect it to reach in 10 days or so. Not really looking for the 1.2 i-VTEC as I am already tired with the 1.2 of our Dzire. Anyways, I spent almost an hour in the showroom checking out the cars and analyzing various aspects multiple times along with the general pulse of the public checking out the Jazz.

Probably because this was a Sunday, there were many guys and families checking out the car - As Honda targeted, these were families were the guys were between 25 and 35 with a small family with wife and 1 or 2 kids. Except for a family checking out the Mobilio, all others were there to check the Jazz. I saw how people nowadays come to the showrooms after reading all reviews and have a clear understanding on what to look for, what questions to ask, what is missing and what is not. For example: A lady asking why there was no engine bay protection for the petrol engine as the floor was clearly visible from under the bonnet. Many of them were also concerned about the absence of magic seats in the V variant. Some families expressed displeasure of the elevated middle seat in the rear bench of VX variant. The guy was telling his friend "May be Honda wants only four people to sit in their top end car and enjoy the comforts". Mostly the reaction was positive - I could see the awe when they saw the boot and also the amount of space on the rear. I actually saw at least two families putting down their money on the booking when I was present in the showroom. But then, will it be a success like i20 or City?? Hell NO.

Here are my impressions -

Exteriors

FrontSideRear
Interiors

Front

Rear
Boot

I did not ask for any SA's help to take me through the features on the car. I am very sure, we know pretty much everything they are going to tell us (if not more). I did not want to hear anything from the misinformed over enthusiastic SA as I will inevitably end up in an argument with him trying to correct him.

I had only 4 questions to them to them and their answers in Italics.

And the inevitable happened - I would not let him go and conversation followed.The saying goes, arguing with idiots only makes you more idiotic and I did not want to become an idiot. Also, people were starting to notice our discussion. So, I smiled at him and at myself for wasting my time, and said "Fine. Good job" and left.

Conclusion

Honda has missed a Golden opportunity here. They should have priced VX variant at the range they are offering V now, or at least have offered magic seats in the V variant at the current price. I am sure that would have given a very very tough fight to i20. Now, buyer has to make a compromise even while opting for top 2 variants -

To me SV and V variant seems the most VFM especially to those who do not consider Magic seats as an absolute necessity. SV misses on ACC and some cosmetic features but still is VFM for what it offers.

Here are the ex-showroom prices for the Jazz and Elite I20 petrol models in Hyderabad

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 5262
Size:  6.7 KB

As you can see, the difference except the top end variant is very minimal.
And considering the fact that both the SV and V variants of the Jazz have safety features like dual airbags,ABS,rear wash/wipe, those variants make a strong case against the Sportz and Sportz (O) variants of the I20.

The SV variant looks extremely VFM to me.

The VX definitely looks overpriced. May be the magic seats mechanism is not that cost effective for Honda

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3751862)
The VX definitely looks overpriced. May be the magic seats mechanism is not that cost effective for Honda

I would think the other way round. Honda wants to project the magic seats as a USP, hence wants to charge a premium for this offering, though from manufacturing cost perspective the incremental cost would be only marginal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3751890)
I would think the other way round. Honda wants to project the magic seats as a USP, hence wants to charge a premium for this offering, though from manufacturing cost perspective the incremental cost would be only marginal.

Infact going by Maruti's philosophy offering it in every variant would have made it cheaper for Honda :uncontrol
Looks like Honda wants to call "Utility" as a premium feature... I am wondering why didn't they reduce the boot space on purpose in the lower variants!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigkey (Post 3751758)
To me SV and V variant seems the most VFM especially to those who do not consider Magic seats as an absolute necessity. SV misses on ACC and some cosmetic features but still is VFM for what it offers.

Only thing is folks considering buying SV and then spending 48k on "Honda" Alloy wheels is not recommended. It is better to directly go for "V" in such cases, as there are lot more features for another 40k extra from SV to V plus you get financing at the time of the purchase itself.

Excellent review this, rated 5 stars!

Personally, even with all the negative feeling here, I still love the car.

Most importanly, for the space it offers. My normal usage will be in city but for the weekend and long trips, I need the extra legroom and the large boot. My family has habit to pack "a little extra" for our trips and fitting all those luggage in my Santro is a different task altogether.

Though, I love the magic seats but the price difference over V (or SV for that matter) is huge and the dangling cables and missing some other features makes VX a no-no for me.

One thing I wanted to know, is there a child restraint (isofix) available in any of the variants?

I have asked this question to every SA that I have met around but they do not give me a satisfactory answer

"Can magic seats be fitted for V trim and below as an option fitment - at Honda service center?"

Some of them respond with a feeble yes - we can try sir, after you buy the V CVT version
Others say - no sir, its available only for VX. it has been designed like that (!!)
While few others speculate - maybe Honda will come with limited edition shortly for V CVT which will have magic seats and other few goodies

Does anyone have any insight into this?

I happened to be driving past Peninsular Honda yesterday & stopped to check out the Honda Jazz. The showroom was virtually empty. They had an orange CVT V and a silver VX. No test drives are apparently given out on Sundays which is puzzling. The Jazz has a 6000 rupee handling charge along with a variable amount (depending on which model you pick) of between Rs 590 to 953 for optional 'Engine Protector'. When I asked what it is, I was told that it is for insurance against damage from water logging etc:

They have been told that only white is a solid colour and orange is metallic. I asked him about it 4 - 5 times and he finally agreed that it looks solid to them but they are going by what they were told. I later realized that the pricing sheet says only Tafeta White is solid. Total on road price for the Jazz V CVT with all options is 9,17,930.

They have 80 odd bookings with quite a few of them for the V and VX. They have got delivery of around 45 cars as of now so waiting period should be around a month or so for new bookings. Deliveries across Kerala start on the 18th IIRC.

Since the VW showroom is virtually next door, I hopped in to take a test ride of the GT TSI. I was telling the sales guy there that it is a toss up between the GT and the Jazz CVT. He was mentioning that they were willing to work out something on the pricing front given that the Jazz undercuts the Polo's on road price of 9,67,992.

I have a question for people who experienced the reverse camera of the I20 and the jazz (or City).

I understand that the I20's reverse camera is displayed on the rear view mirror and the Jazz or City has it displayed on the ICE. Also, there is something called adaptive guidelines for I20 whereas the City or Jazz has 3 viewing modes for the reverse camera.

Additionally, I20 does have parking sensors.

So, from a usability point of view, which one is better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3752020)

Additionally, I20 does have parking sensors.

So, from a usability point of view, which one is better?

The System in i20 is better. Sensors are better in judging the distance, being audible. Camera becomes difficult when light is poor, and in slushy condition where the camera is soiled with mud. Hence ideally a combination would be the best.