Team-BHP - Honda Jazz : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda Jazz : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165791-honda-jazz-official-review-18.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjacob (Post 3751274)
While there is no denying that the Polo is really short on space but for the features I feel it deserves a 2 because its on par with the Jazz and also has ESP & Hill Assist among its safety net. Also, the VW's a.s.s is not as terrible as it used, the service intervals are longer but the costs I'm sure are comparatively more, so I'm kind of neutral on that aspect.

All in all, I'm a fan of the Jazz but I feel it should have been the VX variant rather than V for that kind of price. Along with that sweet turbo, way I look at it, the Polo GT stands ahead of the Jazz CVT.

When you compare features of top variant Jazz and Polo, Jazz definitely scores over Polo as it offers Magic seats, 6.2" touchscreen AVN, touch panel for AC controls, parking camera, etc.

Service level of VW has definitely improved and we are witnessing a turn around. In fact in of the VW forums I highlighted the fact that VW is witnessing a turnaround in India post launch of new Polo last year where its monthly shipments have consistently crossed 4k units. I believe Vento will just add to this surge. And all this is not just because of better products but because of improving service level.

In fact I complement them for offering automatic in diesel car something which Honda is shying away from offering.

I too believe that Polo GT TSi is a much fun to drive AT then Jazz CVT. The main advantage that Jazz offers is space and lets not undermine this because for someone spending close to 10 lacs, you would expect the car to be spacious and not cramped. However both Polo TSi and Jazz CVT are reaching out to different consumer segments.

Someone wanting a spirited, fun to drive car would consider Polo GT while someone wanting a practical, spacious and City car would go for Jazz CVT.

However with the high pricing of Jazz CVT I am sure consumers will look for options and I think Ford Figo Aspire would be one strong alternative.

The news is out today that Ford will be offering 1.5-litre petrol unit mated to a six-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission (DCT), and it develops 110.5bhp and 13.9kgm of torque. So someone wanting a powerful automatic car with a large boot can also consider Aspire. It comes with 359 litre boot, 6 airbags, 4.9m turning radius, leather seats, rear seat armrest, hill launch assist and ESP

Quote:

Originally Posted by damager21 (Post 3751284)
When you compare features of top variant Jazz and Polo, Jazz definitely scores over Polo as it offers Magic seats, 6.2" touchscreen AVN, touch panel for AC controls, parking camera, etc.

And it shows the way they are priced. The cost difference between the Polo Highline(P) & Jazz VX (P) MTs is ₹.85,000 (ex-showroom Delhi), throw in some accessories and the VX costs almost a lakh extra over the Highline which is very much expected given the added goodies but in case of the CVT V the cost difference halves by ₹.50,000 and so do that features but still putting in proximity of the much lauded GT. The thing is you get a feeling its over-priced and you're not getting what your paying for.

Quote:

The news is out today that Ford will be offering 1.5-litre petrol unit mated to a six-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission (DCT), and it develops 110.5bhp and 13.9kgm of torque. So someone wanting a powerful automatic car with a large boot can also consider Aspire. It comes with 359 litre boot, 6 airbags, 4.9m turning radius, leather seats, rear seat armrest, hill launch assist and ESP

Yes, I've been following the news in thread here and also the various auto news sites from quite sometime now. I personally like the Aspire and have my eyes on the AT but its to be seen if it comes with all the top trim goodies. If the Ecosport AT can be considered a precedent then I guess Ford should deliver the same in the Aspire as well.

Any news about how the initial response has been to the new Jazz?
Normally, we will hear huge booking numbers in the first few days. So far, have heard nothing. Does that mean response is lukewarm?

Question - can anyone explain the presence of the plastic cap in place of the start-stop button? I mean I understand the concept of part sharing etc but then no variant of the Jazz has the start -stop button. Is it for export models? But, even outside India, not all variants get the start-stop button.

I wonder how is it in the City.. the lower variants of the City dont have the start-stop button. So, do they also get the plastic cap in the same place?

To me, this is the worst mistake from Honda for the new Jazz and doesn't save them anything...it was plain lazy from Honda.

I think if Honda gives the flat folding and 60:40 rear seat in the 'V' variant along with adjustable headrests and reclining option, and even prices it 15K higher than the current model, it would be a much more complete and appealing package.

They should then either stop the VX variant or give it more equipments like the keyless entry and go, shark fin antenna etc

I am in a huge dilemma. Spoilt by choice. We are looking for a small car (Read upto 4.3 meters). So naturally, we are looking at all cars like the Jazz, Elite i20, S Cross and Creta.

Well I have seen both the Jazz and the i20; and it is already so confusing. While some may argue that on the outside, the i20 looks better, but I find the Jazz much sportier and IMO a white Jazz with 16 inch gunmetal wheels and proper rubber would look amazing and much sportier than the i20.

When it comes to engines, Again IMO, the all aluminium 1.5 iDtec is more advanced and efficient than the i20, louder/unrefined though. It is more powerful and more advanced, no doubt.

Again, I have driven both the cars and while both are similar, Jazz is slightly better. This is not a biggie for me as my driving style works with both cars. I20 definitely FEELs better when the car is on the move, maybe due to better NVH, less vibrations etc.

Coming to spec sheets and equipment, well not saying much here but Jazz feels ancient. It is a car you can hand over to any driver and you wont have to show him around. I20 is just loaded.

This makes the decision rreslly difficult for me. I am looking at Jazz VX i Dtec and i20 Asta CRDi. I20 is 50k cheaper and has 50 more features. But jazz will be cheaper to run and maintain, Better resale?

I am in the 10 lac price band so considering the Creta SX (1.6 Diesel) and S cross 1.6 as well.

I understand this thread is i20 vs Jazz, so please get me sorted there atleast. Thanks a ton please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean (Post 3751372)
I am in a huge dilemma. Spoilt by choice. We are looking for a small car (Read upto 4.3 meters). So naturally, we are looking at all cars like the Jazz, Elite i20, S Cross and Creta.

I am looking at Jazz VX i Dtec and i20 Asta CRDi. I20 is 50k cheaper and has 50 more features. But jazz will be cheaper to run and maintain, Better resale?

I am in the 10 lac price band so considering the Creta SX (1.6 Diesel) and S cross 1.6 as well.

I understand this thread is i20 vs Jazz, so please get me sorted there atleast. Thanks a ton please:

Both Jazz and Elite i20 have their strengths. Jazz engine offers better drive-ability while i20 engine is more refined. Jazz offers unparalleled fuel economy while i20 offers features.

Given your budget and models in your consideration set, I think it will be worth while for you to wait for a month more. As is rumoured, Hyundai will be launching Creta 1.6 SX Diesel at 9.5 lacs (ex-showroom Delhi).

If true, you will get a more powerful 1.6l diesel engine in Creta. Also, in terms of features, it will be on par with Jazz if not Elite i20 - 16" alloy wheel, dual airbag, reverse parking sensor, 5" touch screen audio system, ORVM electrically adjustable & foldable, Projector headlamp, adjustable rear headrest. etc.

Quote:

When you say 10L price, do you mean your budget can go beyond 10L (say up to 13/14). Because I really doubt if S-Cross or Creta 1.6L versions can come to market under 12L/13L for top end OTR versions. If it comes nothing like it, but I have my own doubts.

Now coming to Jazz vs i20, if you need space, its the Jazz. If its not your primary concern, I will suggest the Hyundai for Diesel and a Honda for petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3751366)
Question - can anyone explain the presence of the plastic cap in place of the start-stop button? I mean I understand the concept of part sharing etc but then no variant of the Jazz has the start -stop button. Is it for export models? But, even outside India, not all variants get the start-stop button.

True Adimicra, I had checked that part long back - once we got to see the plastic cap in the leaked interiors and guess what, Jazz and Fit ANYWHERE in the world gets the same treatment. Like some of us thought, it is not a step-motherly treatment dished out to India. Please check the pics below.

Honda Fit LX - USA

Honda Jazz : Official Review-fit_lx_usa.png

Honda Jazz VTi - Australia

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz_vti_aus.png

Honda Jazz Trend - South Africa

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz_trend_sa.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3751366)
I wonder how is it in the City.. the lower variants of the City dont have the start-stop button. So, do they also get the plastic cap in the same place?

I don't this so Adimicra. At least based on the images in the ownership reviews of City, I am pretty sure City different panels - sliver and black - in VX variant to accommodate the Engine Start / Stop button. Other variants do not have any plastic cap there. Also, if it was there I am sure our mods and fellow members who have seen lower variants of City would have pointed that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damager21 (Post 3751380)
Both Jazz and Elite i20 have their strengths. Jazz engine offers better drive-ability while i20 engine is more refined. Jazz offers unparalleled fuel economy while i20 offers features.

Given your budget and models in your consideration set, I think it will be worth while for you to wait for a month more. As is rumoured, Hyundai will be launching Creta 1.6 SX Diesel at 9.5 lacs (ex-showroom Delhi).

If true, you will get a more powerful 1.6l diesel engine in Creta. Also, in terms of features, it will be on par with Jazz if not Elite i20 - 16" alloy wheel, dual airbag, reverse parking sensor, 5" touch screen audio system, ORVM electrically adjustable & foldable, Projector headlamp, adjustable rear headrest. etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely wait july out. Well coming back to jazz, I think its a better product than the i20 but fails in the VFM department. It might prove to be a better long term car than the i20. That said, i20 will pamper you more in that term. :D

I wish honda had made it simpler for us to chose.

I also compared the jazz to the city, for the differences and features offered, you pay exactly 2.5 lacs extra ex showroom for the City and get a boot and cruise control only as extras. That makes the jazz VFM? I dont think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3751381)
When you say 10L price, do you mean your budget can go beyond 10L (say up to 13/14). Because I really doubt if S-Cross or Creta 1.6L versions can come to market under 12L/13L for top end OTR versions. If it comes nothing like it, but I have my own doubts.

Now coming to Jazz vs i20, if you need space, its the Jazz. If its not your primary concern, I will suggest the Hyundai for Diesel and a Honda for petrol.

Thanks. I have a budget of about 9.5 lacs ex showroom.

I am looking for a diesel, I want to like the Jazz but don't want to make the call in haste. I want to have the car that offers excitement and doesn't make me feel compromised after some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3750977)

Things however have changed considerably, with a slew of new car launches and advancement in technology in the Indian context. 110 NM of torque peaking at 4800 RPM is not what you'd expect in 2015.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307
But with the oddly-spaced gear-ratios that results in poor drivability and tractability. What's surprising is that they've managed to rectify this in the Brio. So the question remains.. why haven't they done similar calibration work to the gearbox in the Jazz? Perhaps, in their quest to attain class-leading FE figures, they've decided to forego drivability?

I've owned the 2nd Gen Jazz for 5 years now and every time I drive it, I'm left wanting more bottom-end-torque and better-spaced ratios. Once you are in the mid-range, performance is acceptable. But by then, the rest of the traffic has made the sort of progress that ideally, I would liked to have made

Considering petrol hatches are supposed to spend [on average] majority of their life in congested streets, the drivability is a major concern, if not the only one. Why would one rev to 3,000+ revs & then share almost the same traffic space with the car it overtook and lost all glory at the next traffic signal?

Civic has a low bottom end as well, everyone said the same, surprised to see few defending the cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3751024)
Another point, you say the midrange is decent. Actually, 3000 rpm and beyond till 7000 rpm the Jazz engine is the strongest on the segment.It is the most rev-happy of the lot.

I agree about the gear ratios and that's probably got to do with Honda's quest to get better FE. But, I feel the sluggishness sometimes when I shift a bit early from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. As I said, I have understood the way the engine and gear box behaves and accordingly, I shift a bit later (>3000 rpms from 2nd to 3rd and so on ..) And I hardly see any car overtaking me

Also, you seem to talking only about the low end drive-ability. Is that the only barometer? ."

Having a car with with good torquey engines are less stressful to drive. You ain't driving on a track and are supposed to use this car as a commuter, it is one as well, with those magic seats.

Almost similar topic and my reply

Quote:

Well I have seen both the Jazz and the i20; and it is already so confusing. While some may argue that on the outside, the i20 looks better, but I find the Jazz much sportier and IMO a white Jazz with 16 inch gunmetal wheels and proper rubber would look amazing and much sportier than the i20.

Again, I have driven both the cars and while both are similar, Jazz is slightly better. This is not a biggie for me as my driving style works with both cars. I20 definitely FEELs better when the car is on the move, maybe due to better NVH, less vibrations etc.

Hey Crazy_Bean I am not expert on this and not sure if I can help you with your decision. I chanced upon a TD of the Jazz I-Dtec and Elite I20 CRDI back to back yesterday.

Though this is nothing to do with your actual decision, here are my views on both against my 1.6 GT TDi driving experience:

1. Its no brainer, but if you have to rank it on refinement levels starting from the most refined, its Elite I20 CRDI > Jazz I-Dtec > Polo 1.6 GT.

2. Though the outlook of any car is quite subjective and a big personal choice, I still think that Elite I20 is arguably the best looking hatch on Indian soil, particularly in its OEM Avatar. clap:

3. I agree with your statement that Elite I20 CRDI feels faster due to refinement but on the road, the Jazz I-Dtec actually is a wee bit quicker. But neither actually revs as freely as 1.6 GT and by far feel a lot less scarier !!

4. Again nothing new here, but ranking them on overall comfort for occupants, Jazz > Elite > Polo. Elite feels a but cramped only if one has sat in or plans to sit in a Jazz. Polo is not for carrying passenger, PERIOD !!

5. Both Jazz and Elite have brilliant fit and finish inside out. Frankly speaking, as an owner of Polo for over a year now, I felt Hyundai and Honda have really caught up with the Germans in this department.

6. The ride on Jazz felt great but Elite is a notch above here. Neither crash into potholes or cracks like the way my Polo does. Then again, the body roll on Polo is almost negligible compared to both.

7. W.r.t ownership, Honda seems to be a legend and Hyundai offer same if not better reliability. I have owned the latter under 2 different ownerships and can personally vouch for that. I have not really had any issues with my VW yet and I strongly believe the German giants have really pulled up their socks here.

All in all, if you are also considering Creta & S-cross, please do TD both and take a call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijjuvk (Post 3750939)
Please find attached the price list for Jazz in Bangalore (Magnum Honda):

Looks like Magnum Honda is taking people for a ride by charging the following extras. Apparently the SA's claim that these are compulsory and cannot be excluded !!! Holy Cow !!!

Extended Warranty - 7200
RSA - 4670
Essential Kit - 3000
Car Care - 9063

Moreover, they claim that Sunset Orange is metallic color and charge extra for that !!!

Did you try getting a quote from some other dealer? If yes, what price differences do you see?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigkey (Post 3751398)
True Adimicra, I had checked that part long back - once we got to see the plastic cap in the leaked interiors and guess what, Jazz and Fit ANYWHERE in the world gets the same treatment. Like some of us thought, it is not a step-motherly treatment dished out to India. Please check the pics below.

While I agree, the difference is that top variant of Jazz / Fit in most countries do come with Push start/stop button. If this was also the case for India then I think everyone would have still accepted. But if a consumer is buying a top variant Jazz with 10 lacs or 11 lacs on road price, I don't think they would want to see such a plastic cap to cover a feature Honda is not offering in India.

I would have still accepted this if Honda was to offer Push button as an accessory in which case one could understand that for ease of installation Honda has offered this provision.

Following are the countries in which Honda is offering Push button
Australia - VTi-L
USA - EX
Indonesia - RS
Malaysia - E and above
Philippines - VX+
Singapore - Jazz 1.5
Thailand - SV and above

Having said that, in South Africa as rightly pointed out by you, Push button is not offered as a feature in any variant and strangely so, since Honda is exporting Jazz to South Africa from India, Indian variant also gets the same dashboard design.

This also brings me to the question, can one buy Push button from external source and install it in Jazz?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Engin...377778835.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jazz-...035987126.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 3751433)
Hey Crazy_Bean I am not expert on this and not sure if I can help you with your decision. I chanced upon a TD of the Jazz I-Dtec and Elite I20 CRDI back to back yesterday.

Though this is nothing to do with your actual decision, here are my views on both against my 1.6 GT TDi driving experience:

1. Its no brainer, but if you have to rank it on refinement levels starting from the most refined, its Elite I20 CRDI > Jazz I-Dtec > Polo 1.6 GT.

2. Though the outlook of any car is quite subjective and a big personal choice, I still think that Elite I20 is arguably the best looking hatch on Indian soil, particularly in its OEM Avatar. clap:

3. I agree with your statement that Elite I20 CRDI feels faster due to refinement but on the road, the Jazz I-Dtec actually is a wee bit quicker. But neither actually revs as freely as 1.6 GT and by far feel a lot less scarier !!

4. Again nothing new here, but ranking them on overall comfort for occupants, Jazz > Elite > Polo. Elite feels a but cramped only if one has sat in or plans to sit in a Jazz. Polo is not for carrying passenger, PERIOD !!

5. Both Jazz and Elite have brilliant fit and finish inside out. Frankly speaking, as an owner of Polo for over a year now, I felt Hyundai and Honda have really caught up with the Germans in this department.

6. The ride on Jazz felt great but Elite is a notch above here. Neither crash into potholes or cracks like the way my Polo does. Then again, the body roll on Polo is almost negligible compared to both.

7. W.r.t ownership, Honda seems to be a legend and Hyundai offer same if not better reliability. I have owned the latter under 2 different ownerships and can personally vouch for that. I have not really had any issues with my VW yet and I strongly believe the German giants have really pulled up their socks here.

All in all, if you are also considering Creta & S-cross, please do TD both and take a call.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am most definitely buying one of the mentioned cars in August first week. Looking forward to the excitement ahead.

:OT
I have retrofitted cruise control on my VW, Are such mods possible on Honda cars, eg. Can one fit the Jazz with City's cruise control. I know germans are a OEM modders dream :)

I just had a test drive of the Jazz V petrol and I liked how it felt to drive on the road. Although the gear box felt clunky. Also, i felt the rear seats are not so comfortable. My i10 is much better for back seat cushion.

Anyways, I felt the SV version is more VFM and going the bookings so far, SV is leading the trend at least in one area in Hyderabad. At ₹ 8 lakhs on road, I think you can just upgrade the alloy wheels for another ~₹20000/- and you get a well packaged car in hands compared to V trim level.

Will try to test drive i20 Asta petrol and see how the engine feels on the road.

Guys,
A hell of confusion between Elite i20 and Jazz. I have never been associated with any of the two (H or H), existing car being Ertiga and looking for a premium hatchback. My primary requirement is petrol (MT) and looking to keep the car for next 5 years (min). Below is what I have broken down the the key factors(in no particular order):
1. Ageing
2. Better Engine - 70% city and 30% highway with min 2 and max 4 adults
3. After Sales & service
4. Cost of ownership
How would you suggest for both the cars in above categories. Help please: