Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 20:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Trailblazer : Official Review

Going by Zauba Data , Import price is 7,17 Lac which translates to around 12000 USD , now this kind of Transfer Rates are simply an eyewash to save duties and send Profits later on by paying lower Taxes , I seriously doubt cost of producing this can be $ 12000 anywhere in world .

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st October 2015 at 20:44.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 21:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

excellent review - do you think this SUV can dent the sales of Fortuner and Santa Fe ?

I think it will dent the fortuner to a fair bit. Given the fact, the all new fortuner will be priced higher by a few lacs, I am pretty sure the all new fortuner would have to re-think its pricing strategy.
Old 21st October 2015, 23:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
excellent review - do you think this SUV can dent the sales of Fortuner and Santa Fe ?

I think it will dent the fortuner to a fair bit. Given the fact, the all new fortuner will be priced higher by a few lacs, I am pretty sure the all new fortuner would have to re-think its pricing strategy.
I trust most of the features that should be present for a 20L+ vehicle are not there in this. If I'm a SUV enthusiast, I will definitely not go for this car. Just my opinion
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Chevrolet has this huge capability of not denting anything anywhere and I am sure other auto makers have realised it as well. This is going to die a natural death or would soon get a massive price cut. I personally love and drive one of their vehicle and since 2009 but now have vowed to never look at the brand again as the ASS is pathetic.
gmalik30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:45   #35
BHPian

Now what will happen to the MUX since they are the same car? The isuzu is a better looking car and would be quite cheaper if its made in India after isuzu sets it plant up. This would mean that whatever cars Chevy manages to sell, their resale value will take a big hit if the mux is launched at a lesser price.
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
To me, it doesn't look worth anything more than 15 lacs.
Are you being serious here, normally I do not use smileys, but here you go

1) One, Graduation is the problem here (from the 15 to 30 bracket)

2) Two,Brand Image (Chevy oh man, one would think)

If people can pay 18L OTR for the Creta, 30L for this might not seem to be on the higher side, wait for a few years till we set the 30L as a benchmark.

5 years back not a single soul would have bought the Creta at 18L for a 1.6, 4 barely seater, 126 BHP, 260 Nm, blah blah.

It's worth more than 15L for sure, daylight or during the night.

The problem in the Indian mindset is, we never let the newcomers breath, not that I am saying, plonk 30 big ones on this, but if someone has those, this is something that has more panache than the lousy, tame, aged, boring, Toyota crap.

Cheers.
Torquedo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

If people can pay 18L OTR for the Creta, 30L for this might not seem to be on the higher side, wait for a few years till we set the 30L as a benchmark.

5 years back not a single soul would have bought the Creta at 18L for a 1.6, 4 barely seater, 126 BHP, 260 Nm, blah blah.

The problem in the Indian mindset is, we never let the newcomers breath, not that I am saying, plonk 30 big ones on this, but if someone has those, this is something that has more panache than the lousy, tame, aged, boring, Toyota crap.

Cheers.

There is a reason why even the top gear guys being the biggest land rover fan girls they are chose to go with a Toyota to go to the north pole.

Toyota's strengths are clear as daylight, indestructible build quality, spectacularly low running costs, stellar resale value, good service, peace of mind all adds up to a strong selling point.
So if a company wants to topple Toyota's fortuner, there is only one way to do it. Their product itself must be so attractive, the prospective buyers are simply forced to look beyond money saving. This what the cruze brought to the table, when it arrived.

Sadly this trailblazer doesn't seem to be such a car.
It just looks like a generic, average, mediocre product. This looks like a car that could have been released 8 years ago. At least that's what I think.

So that means it's all up to Ford and its endy now.
Anyone who doesn't wait for the Ford and buys this chevy instead is clearly not thinking straight in my books.
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:54   #38
Team-BHP Support

Having seen the Trailblazer around here in Australia badged the Holden, i agree this is a capable vehicle. Considering the fact that it shares its underpinnings with Isuzu's MU-X helps make its case even more formidable. However, where Chevy missed the boat is their timing in getting this down to India.

The upcoming threat and novelty factor from the new Fortuner as well as Endeavour duo have literally sealed the fate of the Trailblazer.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review.

Looks like a half hearted approach from Chevrolet, otherwise even a layman can predict what would happen to this car in indian market. I am wondering why launch a vehicle at all, do market researchers at Chevrolet are only ticking off a task list or are they really doing some research and planning to launch products that can have an impact in the market?
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:40   #40
Team-BHP Support

I was initially not warming unto the Trailblazer's design but thanks to the lenswork, I like it more than the sissy upcoming Fortuner & Pajero Sport.

It is amazing, big & a brute. I don't find it amusing when people dismiss this by looking at surface details like, features, *proper* SUV looks, price [a Chevy has to be cheap, buy a Camaro for Accord prices then] and Toyota's reliability. For reliability which appears as a USP of Fortuner, I think in CBU format and with this engine, it should be as reliable and no I am not apprehensive, this being a media TD vehicle must have had its share of abuse & drives from experts to newbies and nothing appears missing. Speaks volumes.

How would you test a vehicle? Yup...that is the point I was trying to make.

Scratch more and its positives will outweigh the negatives. That engine is a gem and should be as reliable as a Toyota/Ford. Come'n which manufacturer's engine requires a change of pistons/rings etc at ~2L if maintained well? An enthusiast friend's Endevour 2.5 MT 4X2 has done 2.6L kms and has absolutely no issues. And remember this Duramax has contributions from Isuzu.

The torque is insane, a MT will blow me away. I honestly think a 4WD with MT will be offered by Chevrolet soon and they should launch it.

The only feature I find missing is an inbuilt Navigation unit and maybe lit-up power window switches & auto up/down function. Else, its upto different tastes. You don't need a fancy ICE or a gizmo when barreling down non-existent roads at 3AM at night, you need this robust chassis, suspension and go anywhere ability. Yes, it is not for everyone.

Personally, I will buy this over the upcoming launches, but only if it was in a 4X4 avatar with low-ratio and an MT GB.

How were the headlamps Anshu? And take a bow for an outstanding review
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

Cheers.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the price of this car is actually around 15 lacs. Its the CBU import duty that jacks up the price to 30 lacs.
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Always loved the big GM/Chevy SUVs. The Suburban used to be my rental vehicle of choice when moving around close to 1000 miles one way (until Sequoia came around).

But no 4x4 and not enough of luxury/features may make it lose out against the Fortuner. I always pity these car makers who make bad starts by not having the right configuration. Its a waste of their resources and they do take more time next time around to offer anything good.

The portion after the 'C' pillar doesnt go through well with the portion before. There is no one seamless line from front to back.

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd October 2015 at 13:41.
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:59   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

The only feature I find missing is an inbuilt Navigation unit and maybe lit-up power window switches & auto up/down function. Else, its upto different tastes. You don't need a fancy ICE or a gizmo when barreling down non-existent roads at 3AM at night, you need this robust chassis, suspension and go anywhere ability. Yes, it is not for everyone.
The direct competitors for this car, all boast of a robust chassis, suspension and go anywhere ability. At the same time they also have a unique USP to themselves be it the reliability of the Toyota or the feature rich list of upcoming Ford Endeavour. So why then should I put in so much money on this truck and choose it over the others? On top of that it does not even boast of a 4x4, so the go anywhere tag line is also ruled out.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd October 2015 at 14:04.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:01   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

One question: Is this the heaviest and least fuel efficient (though powerful) suv in india?

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd October 2015 at 14:02.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Do i like the looks of the car, i sure do , big , imposing and quite a monster. Chevy sticking with American style guidelines more with this one , but i agree with everyone who has mentioned that this should have come in earlier and would have got a better playing field rather than at a time when its competitors are around the corner with their updates

However good or bad , my concern is larger. Lets say for a minute that the trail blazer does do better than the Captiva ever did and grabs a few sales from its competitors - what does that do for Chevrolet in India anyway ?

Captiva was selling a few units a month at best, the Trailblazer will have to trump this significantly to have a bottom line impact on Chevy. Doing 15-20 a month would definitely an improvement for them in the segment , but it will not stop the money bleed taking place at GM these days.

And will it be able to sell 500 units a month - i don't think so

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks