Team-BHP - Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/169658-mahindra-tuv300-official-review-169.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4601486)
can you get the version for other AMT owners benefit please. Mine was flashed in Mar 2019 and is 0.20.01.

They told the latest version number as 30.4.2
This looks bit odd considering the number provided by you.

Looks like the cheap ODB2 reader I have incapable read that detail. (Not sure if that can be expected from the odb2 reader to begin with.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghu13uk (Post 4603751)
They told the latest version number as 30.4.2

Here's my version from mar 2019. I just got my obd yesterday and tried it out today. Was able to get engine data and did not try it out too much.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20190313_121119.jpg

My friend has 80bhp version from 2016. Yesterday, he too has got call from his SA for recall and he is giving his car next week. I'll ask to get the version from his SA.

It seems, for 80bhp they are going replace a component (or add a new one). Hence they are keeping the vehicle for 2 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4600135)
.....And I haven't even tried playing songs via USB in 15 months of ownership so far. The bells and whistles don't matter at all to me.

You've nailed it, locusjag - my sentiments exactly! The candyfloss never interested me - which is why I felt it to be a pity that the AMT is being withdrawn. M&M have come up with good, robust, abuse friendly SUVs all along. And their new ventures into boulvardier territory (Marazzo, XUV-300) came as a mixed surprise. The fact that they would give up so soon with the AMT thus comes as a disappointment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashanka (Post 4605144)
M&M have come up with good, robust, abuse friendly SUVs all along.

Speaking of robust and abuse-friendliness in Mahindra SUVs - a near one in our family has a critical illness. Aside from the Allopathic cures that one usually goes for, we've zeroed in on a Gurukulam in Silent Valley National Park in Kerala which prescribes alternative medicines. The place is nigh unreachable, but for M&M jeeps which ply from the Mannarkad-Ooty road 4 Kms into the forest. 200 people come there for medical care and depend on 7 or 8 jeeps which have 6 seats each...the last thing one wants to do is to have a dear one ripe with chemo & radiotherapy's side-effects through a long waiting period to get on a bumpy jeep. People who go there often end up waiting for 2-3 hours before being able to get a seat on the jeeps shuttling back and forth.

The 4 km cutting through the forest has high rocks, deep ruts and holes. Sedans and hatchbacks do make it inside but after a long and arduous journey and no one tries to commit that mistake twice. Those jeeps are all that most people can count on. But needless to say, my TUV 300 is viewed as an asset now. It just transforms the way travel plans are made.

For the first visit this past weekend though, we had to take the patient by suitable public transport to Coimbatore and those jeeps since cancer therapy has rendered him quite unable to do anything. But we're required to go back to the Gurukulam once in every 20 to 30 days without the patient for getting medicine refills. My TUV's going to earn its keep in the family quite often in the months to come. Everyone needs a robust and abuse-friendly SUV in the family - that's my contorted wisdom.

I'm so glad I chose the TUV over a new Honda Jazz back in 2018. They both cost nearly the same (with the TUV costing maybe Rs.75K more) but the value being derived by us from our TUV is leagues ahead!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4603774)
Here's my version from mar 2019. I just got my obd yesterday and tried it out today. Was able to get engine data and did not try it out too much.

Isn't this the Infotainment System Version Number? Version number of AMT software will be very different and can possibly seen only in the service center using their flashing software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep (Post 4605626)
Isn't this the Infotainment System Version Number?

Very likely but i dont know for sure. This is what the flasher showed me when he updated the firmware on the TUV.

On a separate note, I got hold of an OBD and was analyzing realtime fuel efficiency by looking at the KPL - Kilometers per Liter - instantaneous number on the Torque Lite App. I have seen this work very well on a Swift automatic (on the Dashboard display) but on the TUV using the OBD, I was seeing very poor numbers. On my AMT dashboard display i dont get to see this instantaneous fuel efficiency unlike the Swift.
One thing I noticed on the TUV was that most times, I am getting 5KMPL or lower, city driving. I am trying to improve FE by adjusting driving behaviour.
I found that around 1800 RPM in any gear if I provide light Accelerator input, the FE goes up to 7+ sometimes even more. If there is no accelerator input, the mileage drops to 5 or lower due to probably Engine Braking that comes into play. So cruising without accelerator input in the TUV AMT does not improve FE but infact reduces it, unlike what I noticed on the Swift Automatic.

Any input/thoughts will be appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4602920)
I'm facing a decrease in fuel efficiency in my MT TUV 300 T8. I used to get 14 kmpl in the city and that's dropped to 12 kmpl now. And where I used to score upto 18 kmpl on the highway earlier, it's 13 to 15 kmpl now. I know of dirt accumulation in the EGR (procrj had faced it) as a probable cause, but am yet to get it investigated and fixed.

Since BS VI diesel has been sold in Chennai from April 2019 onwards, I briefly entertained the thought that it could be a reason; but then no one else is complaining of a drop in FE with their vehicles, so this is unlikely.

Any update on this? Your post scared me and I started monitoring my mileage in my AMT. I am still getting the same mileage as before i.e. 12 KMPL in city and 15 KMPL on highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4602920)
I used to get 14 kmpl in the city and that's dropped to 12 kmpl now. And where I used to score upto 18 kmpl on the highway earlier, it's 13 to 15 kmpl now

There could be multiple reasons for this:
Start from the top and work your way day till the problem is fixed :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 (Post 4607227)
Any update on this? Your post scared me and I started monitoring my mileage in my AMT. I am still getting the same mileage as before i.e. 12 KMPL in city and 15 KMPL on highway.

Not yet sir, I wanted to complete another tankful before deciding to do something. I'll be tanking up in another week. Will keep this thread updated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by procrj (Post 4607238)
There could be multiple reasons for this:
  • Comfort with car dynamics - hence driving faster. Happened to me once I crossed the 15k mark on Odo. A lot of my drives are on 4/6L highways and I invariably end up hitting 110-120 kmph for long stretches which definitely brings down FE. With new tires putting down more power, its gotten so much easier to go faster
  • Clogged airfilter - clean it or change it if you haven't. I follow a 10K kms routine
  • Vaccum modulator & hose issues - both of these can bring down FE
  • Turbo hose leakage - check if the turbo hose and accompaniments dont have any leaks or cracks
  • A-pedal sensor problems - some folks have had this issue and have had to change the A pedal sensor
  • EGR - shouldn't be a problem for a minimum of 40k kms unless there is some kind of manufacturing defect
  • Fuel pump & plumbing issues - this shouldnt be happening to your 18 month old car but if all of the above are not the problem, then it has to be this

Start from the top and work your way day till the problem is fixed :D

Thanks procrj, aren't you the walking encyclopedia incarnate? Over the past 2 years, I've seen you lay out list after list for the benefit of others. Thanks a lot!

I'm going to inspect the air filter this weekend. I don't have a vacuum cleaner though to blow air through it. My FNG mechanic might be the solution I seek!

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4607344)
I don't have a vacuum cleaner though to blow air through it

it's a foam filter hence you can use diesel to clean it or replace it. Don't try blowing air, won't help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4607344)
I'm going to inspect the air filter this weekend. I don't have a vacuum cleaner though to blow air through it. My FNG mechanic might be the solution I seek!

Please remember that each of these reasons will most likely be accompanied by symptoms.
So please figure out if apart from bad FE, is there anything that is not normal at all and then isolate these one after the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4605539)
Speaking of robust and abuse-friendliness in Mahindra SUVs - a near one in our family has a critical illness. Aside from the Allopathic cures that one usually goes for, we've zeroed in on a Gurukulam in Silent Valley National Park in Kerala which prescribes alternative medicines. The place is nigh unreachable, but for M&M jeeps

On a side note, my wife's grandmother who is close to 90 has been undergoing treatment at this same place for cancer. For some one who suffered stage 3 cancer, the medicine has controlled and reduced the illness beautifully. I wonder why people say there is no cure for cancer when this alternative medicine works so well.

On a TUV 300 Facebook group, I see an update which has Mahindra customers from Cochin all worried - it seems TVS has terminated their Mahindra dealership in Cochin. TVS seems to have been the best service center for Mahindra customers in Cochin. After June 2019, Mahindra customers will have to seek other, apparently unpleasant, service centers.

I wonder if the TVS Mahindra showrooms in other areas are also discontinuing - I know that diyguy gets his serviced at TVS in Anna Nagar, Chennai...

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4607954)
I know that diyguy gets his serviced at TVS in Anna Nagar, Chennai...

Mahindra TVS workshops in Saligramam and Gerugambakkam.
http://tamilnadu.tvsmahindra.in/outlet/workshop.html