Team-BHP - Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/169658-mahindra-tuv300-official-review-177.html)

Questions on peak RPM after ECU flash.

1. Did anyone try to check the peak RPM after the latest software upgrade? In my limited city drive after upgrade, I never noticed it crossing 3000.

2. This also brings one more topic. During the emission test last month, the personnel couldn't get the reading for 3000rpm, that is required for the test. He asked me if speed limiter has been installed? I explained him of the AMT and ECU. Later he gave me the certificate with whatever he could get and told it is valid. Does anyone think the certificate can be invalidated by RTO/police?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghu13uk (Post 4671256)
Questions on peak RPM after ECU flash

I have had it cross 3000 after the flash when sometimes I forget to switch from manual to auto mode. But I have not specifically tried this at idle to cross 3000rpm.
I do not think you will have any problem with your emission certificate if you have received it from an authorized agency.

The Emission test for diesels is carried out at higher RPMs where EGR Valve opens. Else one cannot test and certify the emission properly.

If there is an issue after the last update, hook up an OLD adapter and check the status of EGR at higher RPMs in neutral. It should turn ON and OFF depending on RPMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4671325)
The Emission test for diesels is carried out at higher RPMs where EGR Valve opens. Else one cannot test and certify the emission properly.

If there is an issue after the last update, hook up an OLD adapter and check the status of EGR at higher RPMs in neutral. It should turn ON and OFF depending on RPMs.

Didn't know about EGR valve. Just read about it. So, the probability is, the emission test centre couldn't test my car properly.
Didn't yet find anything on OLD adapter.

Here is the emission certificate. Do you find anything unusual that makes it invalid?

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20191008_215421.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by raghu13uk (Post 4671464)
Here is the emission certificate. Do you find anything unusual that makes it invalid?

I have almost similar values for my TUV300. I don't think there is a problem, otherwise why the agency will issue a certificate stating "This Vehicle meets Emission Standards".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 (Post 4669932)
Well the power loss issue escalated quickly. I started facing issue more frequently. Yesterday I was stranded in middle of heavy traffic, imagine the awkwardness.

I called the regional manager and he quickly arranged for loaner vehicle and took my Tank to MASS. The service center manager called me and informed that vaccum modulator has to be changed and it will take 1 week.

I am fully confused and frustrated now. My loan amount is 6.5 lacs left and resale value for my AMT is coming to 6 lacs only. It has lost it's reliability, I do not trust it anymore. No matter how many times I escalate they simply apologize and offer repair under warranty. They are not offering refund or new car. What to do:Frustrati

Update on this issue, MASS fixed new vaccum modulator. However, I am not taking delivery of my vehicle. I just now sent an angry email to MD, CSR Head and Regional Manager. I know there is no hope here, but I am not going down without a dirty fight.

"Dear Sir,

I was told the same statement mentioned below everytime something is wrong with the vehicle.

"we are once again requesting you not to have any apprehension about the product". I am not sure how repeating the same standard scripted response again and again is going to help me or make me feel better?

I cannot live with such product which is failing me again and again. AMT or Non-AMT related issues is not the matter of concern here. The issue of concern is "Peace of Mind" and "Reliability", which this vehicle is lacking from day 1. From your end you will only experience tracking of dates and repairs made on the vehicle. However, from my end I have to live with the issues and inconvenience it caused to me. Getting vehicled towed to service center, Getting stranded on middle of National Highways, Getting stranded in middle of heavy traffic and the hazards it could have created to me and my family. You will not be able to understand the gravity of this situation until you yourself experience them.

The vehicle has been breaking down again and again in running traffic and national highways repeatedly and causing me and my family hazard. This is a clear failure at Mahindra's QA end and Technical team for not fixing issues in the initial period itself.

I cannot live with an unreliable product for rest of my life. It has not been even 2.6 years and my vehicle has made numerous trips to service center for mutiple repairs. How do you propose I live with such a product for years to come and how can this track record be confronting?

This product has created enough humiliation to me and my family. I cannot handle it anymore. I do not understand why you are unable to see such a simple point of view?

I authorize you to go ahead and cancel the extended warranty which was provided to me. If you really want to show "Gesture of goodwill" then provide the solutions I mentioned in my past emails. Please go ahead and cancel 2 years extended warranty on vehicle, this was accepted under the assumption that ALL issues are fixed, and NOT under the assumption that other issues will pop up again and again, and I would simply keep quite as I was provided with extended warranty.

Please do not expect me to keep on making trips to your service center again and again. I can understand if this is the first time I am facing this issue, I am facing this issue 4th time and it is not acceptable at any level.

If any of the 2 mentioned resolutions are not viable to Mahindra, then I would like to suggest one final resolution which is mentioned below

"Mahindra & Mahindra" can completely take custody of my vehicle. Feel free to reachout to me for any paper work required to authorize the RC transfer to M&M. Please respond with your written confirmation, and I am ready to handover my vehicle, all documents (RC, Pollution, Insurance etc) and Bank EMI details to Mahindra. This was you can park the vehicle in you service center and work on the issues everytime they repeat and I do not have to worry about it anymore. At least this way I will have some peace of mind.

Once again I am requesting someone from higher above to contact me ASAP. I would like to reiterate that I will not be taking delivery of this vehicle at any cost until I am provided with any of the resolution mentioned in my previous email."

With due respect, flying off the handle via email is unlikely to get you far.
Why dont you consult a lawyer and examine going down that path or perhaps write to Mr A Mahindra directly?
The other option is to take an expensive haircut and get rid of the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 4672607)
With due respect, flying off the handle via email is unlikely to get you far.
Why dont you consult a lawyer and examine going down that path or perhaps write to Mr A Mahindra directly?
The other option is to take an expensive haircut and get rid of the vehicle.

That is the next course of action. If I reach out to Mr. Anand Mahindra directly, they will simply delegate it to these people again. Just following their escalation matrix as mentioned in their site. Let's see.

I already started gathering quotations from Cars24 and Cardekho from their sites. If I am not provided with proper resolution, then bye bye TUV.

General question guys.

1. What is the main purpose of your TUV 300? City or highway.
2. How much you drive on the vehicle on an average a year?
3. Overall maintenance costs, if any. (Pls do not include the accident repair costs)
4. Did the service costs increase over time? If so, how much.
5. If you are planning to switch from this vehicle, pls post a reason, you'd think of it & after how many kms you actually started to think about it.

Asking this knowing very well people to people usage will differ.

Why I ask? Very simple, this thread is basically for people to know if we're spending too much or correct figures on the vehicle. Spending on vehicle is not an investment, but more a comfort.

We can compare it with others in this forum & see if anything can ease our wallet.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreedharan (Post 4675240)
General question guys.

95% of the time mine is used in the city.

Quote:

Mine is only 18 months old, but I'm averaging 12000 to 13000 km a year.

Quote:

3. Overall maintenance costs, if any. (Pls do not include the accident repair costs)
Around 2k - 3k a service. I only had one extra expense of 3k in June this year when there was dirt in my fuel tank and my wheels weren't rotating freely.

Quote:

Too early for me to tell. I've only had 3 services done.

Quote:

5. If you are planning to switch from this vehicle, pls post a reason, you'd think of it & after how many kms you actually started to think about it.
I only start to think of switching at some point in the future after I have a trip on our National Highways. The lack of a 6th gear and the strained, high RPM engine note in 5th gear at highway speeds makes me want to switch.

If only Mahindra had let us know that there'd be higher versions of the TUV 300 Plus back in Feb 2018, I'd have waited for the P8 version; all they had on display was a cabbie version, a P4. Every sales rep back then was clueless about the Plus. I know now that the Plus' 2.2L 4 cylinder engine with 6 gears is what I really yearn for. There's nothing else about the TUV that I would rather change.

But then again, it's also clear to me that the compact TUV 300 lets me live in a low rent apartment with lesser parking/manoeuvering space all around...and it is also fuel efficient at 14 in the city and 18 on the highway.

Truth be told, I'm teetering on the edge of wanting to switch and holding on to it most of the time. It hasn't let me down no matter how much I abuse it on bad roads. It lets me take any road with confidence. It has chugged along with a full load of extended family and rooftop luggage happily on every trip so far. We have some sweet memories already with it. I guess ultimately, a need for proper 3rd row seating will ultimately win at some time in the future - when I will also have moved to a different residence hopefully. Until then, my TUV 300 will remain our family's unthanked workhorse and I'll consistently feel guilty for wanting to trade it off.

Quote:

City with many bad roads and occasional water-logging (Ghaziabad / Delhi) and occasional adverse conditions on sites. About 10% usage on highways (although I am not counting the 8-lane expressway I have from my home to office, that can be called a highway albeit with several jams and a 70 kph limit)

Quote:

42,000 km in two years

Quote:

Approximately Rs 1 per km so far, including the free services

Quote:

No parts replacements (except warranty replacements) yet. Only fluid changes as per schedule. Costs will increase with tyres, suspension work, clutch and anything else that crops up.

Quote:

Too early now and a very bad move financially. In any case with the stupid 10-year rule, either one sells the vehicle around the 4th year mark or one drives it through to the scrapyard after the 10th year.

Quote:

Spending on vehicle is not an investment, but more a comfort.

I don't agree totally. You buy a vehicle for comfort and convenience and its a depreciating asset but a million rupees is still a lot of money for an average Indian to not consider carefully the expense and the value one gets out of it. In a sense, you are INVESTING in an unavoidable part of your life and sanity for the next few years. A car never justifies its value in figures, but in its ownership experience it can affect many things.

Quote:

General question guys.

Why I ask? Very simple, this thread is basically for people to know if we're spending too much or correct figures on the vehicle. Spending on vehicle is not an investment, but more a comfort.

We can compare it with others in this forum & see if anything can ease our wallet.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

1) Went for AMT T8 as I drive 60 kms everyday. I also drive 300 kms once in a month to commute to my home town. So it is a mix of both city and highway drive for me.

2) Done 50,000 kms in 2.6 years

3) Each paid service costs me around 8-9k.

4) Yes, as is the case with every car in world. Got wipers, Break pads, Clutch plates changed. Planning to get tires changed after couple of months.

5) I was pretty happy until AMT started killing the experience. Had Actuator and Fly wheel kit changed under warranty and then the world famous vaccum modulator changed recently under warranty again. All this scared me and went for 2 years extended warranty at 15k.

Guilty of looking out for other reliable options. At this point Jeep Compass was the only option available for me (Thanks to my obsession with Thar, TUV and Jeeps). New one (Base variant) is costing around 18 lakhs in Hyderabad, so started looking for used ones.

Got 14 lakhs quotation for 2017 Jeep Longitude variant. I was very close for buying it, but again due to financial constraints dropped off the idea and 12% interest rate on used cars was not very encouraging.

Quote:

Questions on peak RPM after ECU flash.

2. This also brings one more topic. During the emission test last month, the personnel couldn't get the reading for 3000rpm, that is required for the test.

There is a rev limiter in TUV and many other vehicles that limits the revs to 3000 RPM in neutral. This is a mechanism to prevent unintended damage to engine which may be caused by revving the nuts out of it while stationery. It is not limited or related to AMTs. For PUC purposes, going above 3k rpm is not necessary.

Quote:

2. This also brings one more topic. During the emission test last month, the personnel couldn't get the reading for 3000rpm, that is required for the test.

Get your PUC tests done from a different place now on, they seem to be ill informed. Day-to-day PUC emissions tests are to be done at idle RPMs.

A new issue popped up in TUV. Was driving in highway and speedometer started behaving abruptly and then all of a sudden dropped to 0 while the speed must be around 100, the gear indicator also displayed N. RPM was at 2500-3000 level. Odometer was also constant while I drove appx 70 kms in same condition.
Any idea what must be wrong this time.
I have recently clocked 80k kms and scheduled service was done a week back only.