Team-BHP - Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/169658-mahindra-tuv300-official-review-23.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanium (Post 3853688)
This may sound silly, but I have a question for everyone. Does your M&M service centre has a different lounge for XUV customers? Two different lounges !!

That's marketing. MM is a company that is/was famous for tractors and a plethora of other vehicles that fishermen folks, traders and poultry wholesalers would love to own and operate. The Mahindra logo is proudly displayed on all these vehicles just like the same way it is being displayed on the XUV. This is such a bold move that even the mighty Toyota had decided not to take - at a time when they launched the Lexus division.

Buttt the comparison ends there. MM ensures, albeit subtly, that a Cheetah owner will never have to stand in queue along with the aforesaid class of people. A brilliant move that, IMHO Tata should too have implemented for their Safari/Aria owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 3854825)
If this is true, I am glad I did not book one. I was very skeptical considering no vehicles from Mahindra were a success at the first shot from the day of the launch. ...I will certainly not like to own a car which the company discontinues immediately thinking they can do better.

No one would dare to stop the production of a model that has 15,000 or so bookings. The possibility of a 100+ BHP engine is only a natural progression, considering the fact that both the EcoSport and the Duster offer multiple engine choices. I am sure MM will offer both engines.

I did a test drive last week and IMO the car is no way under-powered for normal city/highway use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX (Post 3853475)
The workshop diagnosed this as a faulty vacuum modulator which was replaced and the sound stopped. The vacuum modulator hose also has to be replaced with one with a larger opening.

Thanks for sharing that Captain. Did some quick research and realised that the EGR could also be using a vaccum solenoid which is what MASS is replacing and not the AMT vaccum modulator, which will not exists in a MT. Based on your observations and my rudimentary understanding of how the EGR vacuum valve works, I think the problem is that ECU is accounting for larger volume of inert gas in the combustion cycle but in reality, the volume is lower because of the smaller hose
Quote:

Fuel consumption has dropped to 10.7 kmpl last refill
Could also be because of the faulty EGR combined with bad bad traffic? Do check your consumption as well as change in power especially in lower RPM, if any, post replacement. Again my hypothesis is that power delivery will drop once the hose is changed as the air/fuel mixture levels in the combustion cycle will be at the optimum level based on ideal EGR + ECU operation

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 3854612)
Not sure if the news is already shared here or not. My cousin works with one of M&M company which is supplier to main M&M Chakan plant where TUV gets manufactured, he shared me news that TUV 300 is coming with more powerful engine soon.

The news is true and it's already in news. But I think this engine is being developed for a slightly bigger TUV300 (probably U302). But its going to take at least 2 years for launch.

What did I learn about my TUV today #5: 25-Nov-2015

Some time back when I went to my TUV in apartment parking, I saw my left side mirror swinged on the outside/backside by 20-25 degrees, someone might have tried to squeeze between the parking slot wall and my TUV mirror :Frustrati, resulting this. I exclaimed "vow", biggest discovery of the day clap:. Then I checked it myself and indeed the TUV's mirror is capable of swinging in the opposite direction by at least 45 degrees (just a guess and not measured with protractor). Evidence can be seen in the pictures below. Just the other day on Vento/Polo thread I heard a TBHPian's mirror was broken as a biker brushed it, and since it didn't have the capability to swing in opposite direction, it broke off. He had to shelve around 8-10K to get a new mirror fitted. These are the small things which only Indian manufacturer's can consider and adapt in their design (My Indica had the same provision of mirror retracting in opposite direction and it never broke off during 11 years of its existence and withstood numerous brushes for two wheelers and four wheelers alike).

Mirror in normal position as seen from front left side
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111308.jpg

Mirror swinged backwards as seen from front left side
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111315.jpg

Mirror in normal position as seen from rear left side
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111200.jpg

Mirror swinged backwards as seen from rear left side
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111217.jpg

Mirror in normal position as seen from top left side
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111236.jpg

Mirror swinged backwards as seen from top left side. Here you can clearly see the angle by which it swings is more than 45 degrees
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151125_111245.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 3854971)
The news is true and it's already in news. But I think this engine is being developed for a slightly bigger TUV300 (probably U302). But its going to take at least 2 years for launch.

As per my news, TUV will get this engine soon. Early next year I guess. Its not a new engine altogether but its just a more powerful one than the existing one on TUV. So basically engine will be same but more power it will get. You might be referring to some other engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3855386)
Then I checked it myself and indeed the TUV's mirror is capable of swinging in the opposite direction by at least 45 degrees

Are these electrically foldable or only electrically adjustable?
The manual ones on my old i10 would easily swing forward on a solid hit. The ones on my Polo are electrically foldable and I don't have the heart to try to push it back by hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom (Post 3856171)

Manually folding, electrically adjustable.

The ORVMs of XUV are auto-folding, but can swing forward...

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom (Post 3856171)
The manual ones on my old i10 would easily swing forward on a solid hit. The ones on my Polo are electrically foldable and I don't have the heart to try to push it back by hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 3856213)

Hello freedom, as sandeepmdas has rightly mentioned the TUVs ORVMs are manually folding, electrically adjustable. Initially on reading the specifications, I was bit disappointed to know that Mahindra has not provided blinkers and auto retractable/ auto folding mechanism on ORVMs even on the top end T8 variant. However lack of these features make the TUV ORVMs very robust as the car itself. Moreover there is never a need to fold the mirrors, even if you are in dense traffic with lot of two wheelers around. The mirrors are way above the line of attack from all those handle bars of two wheelers :thumbs up. This is a big boon on Pune roads, where the two wheelers are notorious for squeezing in the minutest of the spaces available :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 3856213)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3856442)
The mirrors are way above the line of attack from all those handle bars of two wheelers

Yup. I agre.
The point I was trying to make is that the manually foldable mirrors swing back and forth even on my 5.5 yr old i10. This is not unique to TUV.

On my new Polo the mirrors are electrically foldable (I have got hit 2 times when I was waiting on RED) , and this is very bad design. I just hope the mirror body will swing forward if and when there is a serious hit.

I wanted indicators on ORVMs, so I opted for the refreshed model and I got electric folding as part of the package. I would still prefer manual folding for Pune traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3855386)
What did I learn about my TUV today #5: 25-Nov-2015

...and indeed the TUV's mirror is capable of swinging in the opposite direction by at least 45 degrees...

Deepak, then it should be another shock to you that your good old Black WorkHorse's mirrors too were capable of the same :)

BTW, congrats and happy mile munching with your new ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 3856144)
Its not a new engine altogether but its just a more powerful one than the existing one on TUV

If its just a remap that's going to deliver more power, then it doesn't make a difference as even the current owners might be offered the same by MASS. All said and done as long as mechanical changes are minute, there will not be a significant difference in performance.

@mrbaddy Very true that the TUV 300 given to Anand Mahindra is of a different color because the one shown during the launch is "Army Green" which I believe is illegal for sale in India. Army reserves the best color!! bummer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3835565)
Other Points:

• Mahindra thinks that there will be cross-shopping between the TUV300 & EcoSport. We disagree. Besides their sub-4 meter length, the two have absolutely nothing in common. They will appeal to a different customer set. While one is a tough & heavy body-on-frame 7 seater SUV, the other is a modern 5 seater car that drives just like any hatchback / sedan. A world of difference between the two.

I agree with Mahindra. There would be cross shopping between TUV300 & EcoSport. I am a planning a third vehicle (I have a Rapid (for myself), Swift (For my parents)) by next year which is primarily for my wife & kid's daily commute. I was thinking of a premium hatch back like Baleno or Jazz (preferably with AT/AMT). Having a second thought, with the safety aspect of being a bigger vehicle, I had started thinking of Ecosport, now TUV300 entices me.

TUV's looks, esp the front view is very macho which attracts me, also its height. Bangalore's infrastructure is now very pathetic and we really need such a ladder frame chasis vehicle.

What really puts off is the Engine. It could have been a 4 cyclinder engine, less than 1500 cc, tuned for 100 or 120 bhp;

Please give a 4x4 also, then it is ultimate. Weekends/Holidays I can use it for some offroading. I think it would be a better offroader than Scorpio because of its short chassis, better approach & departure angles etc. I dont like Thar only because of the lack of creature comforts which TUV300 have plenty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs (Post 3857889)
TUV's looks, esp the front view is very macho which attracts me, also its height. Bangalore's infrastructure is now very pathetic and we really need such a ladder frame chasis vehicle.

What really puts off is the Engine. It could have been a 4 cyclinder engine, less than 1500 cc, tuned for 100 or 120 bhp;

I had exactly the same thoughts like you when the specs were out. I feel so lucky that I managed to test drive it before outright rejection. One test drive was enough to shatter all my apprehensions about this 3-potter, result being I booked it after my third test drive and now I am a proud owner of a TUV. Who doesn't like power, even if it not going to be used 99% of the time, but then are you going to reject it only because it does not meet your 1% of the requirements? I rather feel this car is best suited for your kind of requirements (primarily being used by your wife & kid's daily commute). With good low end torque, excellent driveability, small turning radius (compared to other UVs), added flexibility of +2 seats, you couldn't have asked for more. Just take a test drive along with your wife and kids and decide for yourself.

Quote:

Please give a 4x4 also, then it is ultimate. Weekends/Holidays I can use it for some offroading. I think it would be a better offroader than Scorpio because of its short chassis, better approach & departure angles etc. I dont like Thar only because of the lack of creature comforts which TUV300 have plenty.
That surely must be on the cards. The Thar is for hard core enthusiasts/ off-roaders. If they plonk in all the goodies of the Thar in the TUV, then it won't take much time for the Thar to go in oblivion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandeepdev (Post 3857305)
@mrbaddy Very true that the TUV 300 given to Anand Mahindra is of a different color because the one shown during the launch is "Army Green" which I believe is illegal for sale in India. Army reserves the best color!! bummer.

I doubt it's illegal. If so, the company would have never given that color option while launching. Even XUV500 initially came in that color and the reason for taking it off was given as "low booking numbers". If it was legal issues because of which M&M stopped in on XUV 500, then this would have never made into TUV 300 at all.