Team-BHP - Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/169658-mahindra-tuv300-official-review-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3838420)
Logan technically wasn't actually a Mahindra. The first true blue new Mahindra is years or perhaps decades is the XUV500 and lo and behold it is a monocoque and a front wheel drive unless you specify the all wheel drive variant.

The 'new' TUV is still old school with a ladder frame chassis based on the same platform as Scorpio, only shortened. Which is why it has the height of the thing but not the length. Anyway enough digression from the topic. If it suits the use case, buy it. To me it doesn't make any sense because I would not have more people in my car than the number of seats and neither would I be traversing the rural indian village roads during my daily commute.

Sorry, but I beg to differ - the first new Mahindra (true blue or otherwise) was the Scorpio, on seeing which Carlos Ghosn was moved to remark "I've got to meet the man who made this". Apocryphal or not, this was one of the stories doing the rounds at the time of the short-lived M&M-Renault marriage. As for the XUV500, it's fabulous for the price, but I was among the blokes who had remarked (on this very forum) that despite M&M's outstanding effort, the XUV was only a poseur till the AWD version was introduced.

And for those who are carping about the TUV's "old school" body-on-frame, let me just say that I would indeed be traversing rural Indian village roads during my regular jaunts gallivanting about the country, as I've been doing these past many years. And of course, during my daily commutes, I find it greatly reassuring to be sitting in the Scorpio - just as reassuring as I'm sure I would find sitting in the TUV.

But then at the end of the day, as you said, to each his own!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVtec (Post 3838536)
However, there was this noise that I heard at about 1100/1200 RPM and then again at about 2500 RPM that bothered me. It lasts for about a second and then the engine regains its usual rhythm. Not sure if this is a TUV problem, or is it just the sound of the turbo kicking in?

The noise that you heard at about 1100/1200 RPM (if it is more like a whine) could be the smaller scroll (of the twin scroll turbocharger) kicking in

Quoting below from the official review by Tushar:
Quote:

In-city driveability is greatly aided by the 2-stage / twin-scroll turbocharger. Don't confuse this with a twin turbo or bi-turbo. The engine uses a single turbocharger with two differently-sized scrolls in it i.e. one larger than the other. The smaller scroll kicks in at ~1,100 rpm and sustains up to 1,800 rpm. After 1,800 rpm (when a greater amount of exhaust gases are produced), the bigger scroll is activated and the smaller one is disengaged. This is done to minimise lag and improve driveability.

Had a TD of this vehicle. Note that Innova is mentioned just for giving an indication, I am aware that Innova is a different league overall.

My views on TUV 300:

1) Vehicle is very high set. Next to XUV500, which itself is not compact by Indian standards by any stretch of imagination, the TUV simply stood out.

2) The squarish profile isn't bad at all in person. Infact, looks butch if you ask me. Looks like a ready, obedient tough car.

3) Space up front is good, reasonable at rear. Not bad for a compact SUV.

4) No way can this car be called a 7-seater, the last two jump seats are simply for kids ( and I dont recommend even kids in those seats ). M&M should consider to sell this car as a 5 seater at a later stage. Push the rear seats a bit back with improved rear legroom and sell it as a 5-seater.

5) Build seems to be super tough. Appreciate that. I know this is sensitive, but I believe that on Indian roads, TUV300 is a safer car to travel in than various hatchbacks and Compact Sedans. My view/belief, no offense to any body.

6) Rear seats lack under thigh support, but the sheer height from floor makes up for it.

7) Please beware while opening those doors, the top edge can hit you. I missed it by milimeters, literally. Yes, the unique door design is a bit odd.

8) Interiors felt good. Huge step ahead for M&M. Simply does not feel utilitarian. Appreciate M&M for this.

9) Engine : Upto the task. Never feels short on power till 90-100 kmph. I drove this car on highway too for 2-3 kms and never felt short on power. As a family car, this is great. Cruise at sensible 90-100 kmph and there would some reserve power. Getting till those cruising speeds does not feel difficult, engine is not stressed. Excellent to see how M&M could manage this from a small engine in a car which is certainly heavy and boasts of brick-like aerodynamics.
Brilliant for day to day driving, part throttle responses are very, very nice.
Torque is easily accessible in mid range and even at bottom end. When my friend was driving, I could feel that torque was strong. No its not 1.6 S-cross, but torque is as strong as Innova.
The linearity of torque and strength of torque can be compared to Innova. Yes, Innova is king in this, but TUV 300 is not far off.
Just off-idle, its tough to stall this car ( could be ECU tuning of anti-stall too, but not sure on that ).

To sum up the engine part : Easily manageable in day-to-day operating environments. Can be used for highway runs. M&M did a nice job.

10) Engine noise is there in cabin, but less so than Innova. One is always aware that its diesel under hood, but its fair enough. I am used to refined K12 in my Swift now.

11) Ride was firm. But as speedo climbs to legal highway speeds, it sorted out a bit. Not that uncomfortable. But it seems suspension is tuned keeping in mind that TUV 300 is 7-seater.

12) Steering was nice. Dont expect super feedback, but its moderate overall. What is more important, and practical, is that turning radius is smaller than most UVs.

13) When cruising on highway, the TUV feel quite comfortable, more than Xylo due to better body control. Good visibility adds to overall ease of driving. However, the IRVM is rendered useless by that spare wheel. ORVM are huge and good.

14) Wind noise was reasonably well controlled at 90 kmph.

Its VFM package, and the ride and handling are manageable. A very nice step for M&M, shows that M&M has what it takes to compete with global players. If I were in market for a small SUV, TUV300 would have my money. Nice driveability, nice visibility, good cruiser and that presence!
Saving the last part, the presence is simply strong. Yes, this car commands respect from other road users. Attaching an image from M&M dealer stock yard showing TUV300 and XUV500 side by side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 3838660)
Had a TD of this vehicle. Note that Innova is mentioned just for giving an indication, I am aware that Innova is a different league overall.

My views on TUV 300:

Wonderful summary of your test drive aaggoswami, agree with you on each and every of the 14 points mentioned above. I can easily co-relate with your Innova comparison. Myself being an Innova owner for almost one year and driven for 18K+ kms, I can say with confidence that the TUV offers far more than the Innova at its price point. The only thing to be proven is the reliability. But given the fact that TUV is offered with a standard company warranty of 3 years or 1,00,000/- kms (exactly same as that of the Innova) goes to show that Mahindra has taken enough care to offer a reliable product.

Fantastic review, long awaited. I'm thinking of buying one. Any idea on the wait time ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepcdc (Post 3838741)
Fantastic review, long awaited. I'm thinking of buying one. Any idea on the wait time ?

30-45 days is what my SA claims

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 3838660)
Attaching an image from M&M dealer stock yard showing TUV300 and XUV500 side by side.

Thanks for the amazing comparo pic. Its really amusing. From the front the TUV looks way more overwhelming than a XUV which is actually 2-3 sizes bigger in reality. Great job by Mahindra in really touching the SUV nerve by giving a butch looking vehicle despite its short length.

I recently had a chance to check out the TUV in a mall in Bangalore. With just few minutes to spend in the car, my thoughts were.

Overall very interesting product from Mahindra. They really needed something outside of there trio XUV/Scorpio/Bolero to get nos rolling and appeal to mass market. Really hoping that this one does so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashanka (Post 3838650)
Sorry, but I beg to differ - the first new Mahindra (true blue or otherwise) was the Scorpio, on seeing which Carlos Ghosn was moved to remark "I've got to meet the man who made this". Apocryphal or not, this was one of the stories doing the rounds at the time of the short-lived M&M-Renault marriage. As for the XUV500, it's fabulous for the price, but I was among the blokes who had remarked (on this very forum) that despite M&M's outstanding effort, the XUV was only a poseur till the AWD version was introduced.

And for those who are carping about the TUV's "old school" body-on-frame, let me just say that I would indeed be traversing rural Indian village roads during my regular jaunts gallivanting about the country, as I've been doing these past many years. And of course, during my daily commutes, I find it greatly reassuring to be sitting in the Scorpio - just as reassuring as I'm sure I would find sitting in the TUV.

But then at the end of the day, as you said, to each his own!

When I said new Mahindra, I meant the most recent one and given how big a departure it is from previous Mahindra's which were all ladder frame. In anycase I do not think you should take an offence to the fact that I do not like this car.

I find Bolero or Sumo to be far better options than the brand new TUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3838823)
When I said new Mahindra, I meant the most recent one and given how big a departure it is from previous Mahindra's which were all ladder frame. In anycase I do not think you should take an offence to the fact that I do not like this car.

I find Bolero or Sumo to be far better options than the brand new TUV.

No,no, you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, extreme torque!

No, I am not offended, and all of us being automotive gearheads at heart, there is enough space here for us all to talk our hearts out, without stepping on each other's toes - I just wish I could have added you to my list of SUV converts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashanka (Post 3838833)
No,no, you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, extreme torque!

No, I am not offended, and all of us being automotive gearheads at heart, there is enough space here for us all to talk our hearts out, without stepping on each other's toes - I just wish I could have added you to my list of SUV converts!

I love the Safari's and the Scorpio's of this world and can also understand the pov of someone who wants to buy a XUV500 instead of the former two. I still cannot begin to like the TUV300. It feels and looks like a shortcut. It doesnt feel like a throughly engineered state of the art product like the XUV500 nor has the simplistic tough has nails engineering of the Tata Sumo or the Bolero.

Its a bit characterless if you ask me.

The TUV seems to be more spacious than the Scorpio, they should have pushed it as a 5 seater. In most cases the 6th person will be a child adjusting with the other three on the back seat, and the jump seats will not be used, being 7 seater on paper, the police will not be able to create issues.

Rahul

Mahindra & Mahindra October sales up 20% due to the good demand for the TUV3OO.

Quote:

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) surged over 4 per cent in morning trade, after the home-grown automaker reported 20 per cent surge in October sales at 51,383 units, mainly of account of good demand for its recently launched TUV300.
source

Quote:

Originally Posted by trek (Post 3835673)
Good Review, thanks.

When the TUV was launched, the awkward looks were a turn-off and I didn't bother reading it's thread any further. However after reading the above review, I must say that I am sort of impressed with the overall package though still on the fence about the looks! I think its the non existent bumpers that are the main spoilers.

+1. There is something about this TUV300 that is appealing as one reads/sees more of the vehicle. The simple looks/lines for a tank-like vehicle is always a better approach than some futuristic design with all jarring curves and bulges. I too have begun to like this vehicle for its sheer road presence in such a compact package.

I too would have preferred some protruding bumpers for added safety, aesthetics and greater/tougher presence. I guess if the lower models do not come equipped with airbags, then it may be possible to put guards in front of the bumpers for added safety. I read somewhere on this forum that installing guards in front of the bumpers could affect insurance claim in a vehicle equipped with airbags.

Quote:

And that sharp front door is a killer man! Someone is definitely gonna get hurt by those edges. Mahindra better figure out a solution fast.

I doubt that Mahindra can do much to modify the design of the front door. At best, they can put a "side" sensor like the reverse sensor atop the door to emit some sort of caution to the unsuspecting driver. Or else, Mahindra could work out some sort of rubber side door beading to minimize the impact of a tank door on the human body.

Quote:

Overall this seems to be a good option for someone who needs those extra two seats for the extended family.

I would, instead, prefer removing those extra side seats and using the extended boot space for added luggage, especially during those long distance trips. With a width of 1800+ mm the MUV3OO should easily accommodate three persons, making it a comfortable five-seater with a huge boot space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 3838869)
I love the Safari's and the Scorpio's of this world and can also understand the pov of someone who wants to buy a XUV500 instead of the former two. I still cannot begin to like the TUV300. It feels and looks like a shortcut. It doesnt feel like a throughly engineered state of the art product like the XUV500 nor has the simplistic tough has nails engineering of the Tata Sumo or the Bolero.

Its a bit characterless if you ask me.

Ah, well - you can't say I didn't try! OK, give me five, and like gentlemen, let us agree to disagree!

Saw the car in person and must say, It looks better in flesh than in pictures, The design though reminds a bit of yeti from the side profile, But sure it looks much better in person.