Team-BHP - Maruti Baleno : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti Baleno : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/171209-maruti-baleno-official-review-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKMahajan (Post 3880595)
I went with my wife to Nexa Baner, Pune for a TD of the automatic (CVT) Baleno.
======
Girish Mahajan

I have been driving the Baleno CVT for a week now and trust me when i tell you that it is a joy to drive in the city. The OTR pricing of the CVT comes up to about 8.08 lakhs in Mumbai. I have added a few accessories and alloys (the CIAZ alloys are a beauty) and it didn't get too pricey. The Jazz on the other hand gets really pricey and still doesn't offer some of the features of the Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Q (Post 3880995)
I have been driving the Baleno CVT for a week now and trust me when i tell you that it is a joy to drive in the city. The OTR pricing of the CVT comes up to about 8.08 lakhs in Mumbai. I have added a few accessories and alloys (the CIAZ alloys are a beauty) and it didn't get too pricey. The Jazz on the other hand gets really pricey and still doesn't offer some of the features of the Baleno.

Dear Dr.Q,

Thanks for the update. Now you have got me salivating! I will HAVE to take a TD.

By the way, if you do not mind, where are you in Mumbai? I am in Mira Road.

From cardekho.com, I find that Jazz V CVT has following (which are not in the Baleno Delta CVT):

88.7 bhp vs 83.1 bhp
354 lt boot vs 339 lt
172 kmph vs 150 kmph max
40 lt tank vs 37 lt tank

Air quality control
Trunk light
Cup holders rear
Steering wheel gear paddle shifts
Leather steering wheel
Digital clock
Outside temperature
Cigarette lighter
Driving Experience Control Eco
Height Adjustable Driving Seat
Fog lights Front
Alloy wheels
Chrome garnish
Door ajar warning
Rear camera
Anti-theft device

Similarly there is a list of items in Baleno which are not in Jazz! But that list is smaller. Obviously because they have not offered CVT in the higher models! If I can afford CVT, then I would also like to take the features which can come!

Note/disclaimer: some of the Jazz features may even be negatives - ha ha ha ha - like Chrome garnish! Unfortunately, most of my friends and relatives felt it is a positive! No comment!:deadhorse

Also, I do not remember if the Baleno Delta CVT has a S-mode or not! In the Jazz that transforms the Jazz into a 'wild thing'.

By the way, I am not berating or demeaning the Baleno - I am just comparing. For all you know, I might have one in my stable in the near future! Last year I had recommended a friend to buy a Celerio AMT. He loves it. However, both of us felt that if Baleno had come at that time, it was a far better choice!

Girish Mahajan

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKMahajan (Post 3881028)
From cardekho.com, I find that Jazz V CVT has following (which are not in the Baleno Delta CVT):

Dear Girish,

What cardekho.com doesn't say is that there are two variants in the Jazz automatic which were proposed to me by the dealership. The cheaper automatic variant is still costlier by 50k.
The Baleno is lighter so better weight to power ratio.
Regarding the features:
Digital clock, Door ajar and outside thermometer are present. Even with alloy wheels and reversing camera add-ons its still a good 10k cheaper than the cheapest Jazz variant.
Tyre size does matter. I'd show you pictures of my car but my app says that I am not having permission to upload pics probably as I am a newbie.

In the end, it's your choice. Your car should inspire you. That's what matters.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Q (Post 3881061)
Dear Girish,

What cardekho.com doesn't say is that there are two variants in the Jazz automatic which were proposed to me by the dealership. The cheaper automatic variant is still costlier by 50k.

Jazz is costlier really, and bigger than that, the iVtec lacks the lower end torque, the most crucial need for a CVT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKMahajan (Post 3881028)
Similarly there is a list of items in Baleno which are not in Jazz!

The features really don't matter to me as much as lower end toque does. It's a CVT friend.

Today, I saw baleno base model sigma in maruti service centre. No tachometer and seat fabric is different in Sigma variant. Also I ordered mud flaps and chrome door moulding from regular MASS

Might just be me but the front grill on the base variant looks so much better than the 'toothed' one on the other variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3881149)
Might just be me but the front grill on the base variant looks so much better than the 'toothed' one on the other variants.

I too find so buddy. I own baleno zeta and chrome lining on grill looks like a stupid mustache. I plan to paint it gloss black or replace with Base variant grill

Base variant's grille certainly looks lovely to me too. Slap on some black chrome coating and it would look sublime on the higher variants with those projector headlamp setups :D

I was inspecting the engine bay of my baleno and observed the following
1.ABS module is Chinese make (SX4 has Bosch)
2.ECU made by Bosch India
3.Airbags were Takata make (first time I spotted this in Maruti, Takata known for recall issues every now and then)
4.Fuel injection by Denso
5.AC compressor is Subros (Sx4 has Sanden)

As part of closing on an AT car for my sister in law, had visited Nexa Showroom in Calicut (Kerala) to check out the Baleno CVT.

Nexa Experience

Overall nothing to complain, but no great 'Nexa Experience'. The RM seemed to lose interest when I said I don't plan to do a booking then and there and that I am also looking at other options. Had visited VW Calicut also for the Polo GT TSI and the overall experience was better there.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20160102_1126522.jpg

The Car and the Drive
Overall, was not very disappointed with the drive. With a bit of practise, should be able to manage most scenarios. Definitely not a car that is a joy to drive or will bring a smile on your face. But thats not what the majority want.

Also there has been a lot of talk about build quality/flimsy build. Honestly, I felt it good enough. Did not seem very lightweight or flimsy. I felt the Figo was more lightly built.

The biggest negatives are the lack of the CVT in the higher variants and a missing manual mode and paddle shift. The higher variants definitely give a much better feel inside. In addition considering it is a CVT, a manual mode/paddle shift was definitely needed.

For these 2 reasons, for folks wanting to go with the reliability and peace of mind of the Japanese brands I feel the Jazz is a better bet among these two.

For those who are ok with looking beyond these two, the Figo DCT definitely gives more bang for your buck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3882047)
As part of closing on an AT car for my sister in law, had visited Nexa Showroom in Calicut (Kerala) to check out the Baleno CVT.

Nexa Experience
  • Liked the showroom. Nice spacious showroom in a good location. The Bangalore Nexa I have been to was relativly small and cramped. This one was pretty good. (Very recently opened). A photo below.
  • They had TD cars of all the options. Petrol and Diesel MT and Petrol CVT. Another plus.
  • Relationship manager interaction was decent.Pretty much what I have experienced in other showrooms.
  • Arranged the TD immediately. Went for one round. Once I finished, realized that I had not tried the S mode. So asked for one more round and the RM obliged without any fuss. Asked me to drive it as much as I wanted. So that was a plus.
  • Did not give me a price list. When asked told the On Road was 7.94 L. Did not offer to send it via email or show a brochure.
  • Did not give a visiting card. Got over it seems. Sent an SMS with contact details.
  • Waiting period of approx 4 months. 11,000 booking amount. Fully refundable.

Overall nothing to complain, but no great 'Nexa Experience'. The RM seemed to lose interest when I said I don't plan to do a booking then and there and that I am also looking at other options. Had visited VW Calicut also for the Polo GT TSI and the overall experience was better there.

Is it new Nexa Showroom in calicut? I had visited AVM Nexa, calicut 2 months back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 3882107)
Is it new Nexa Showroom in calicut? I had visited AVM Nexa, calicut 2 months back.

Yes this is new. Popular Nexa. On the Thondayad-Malaparamba stretch of Calicut Bypass. Quite a big set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Q (Post 3880995)
I have added a few accessories and alloys (the CIAZ alloys are a beauty) and it didn't get too pricey.

Could you share the deal details (buyback, exchange, tyre upgrade if) and some pics with Ciaz wheels. Assume you went for the 15" aluminium finish wheels and not the 16" from Ciaz Z+ variant.

You may want to add tweeters to the mirror housing as the CVT variant seems to be missing the same as well. Optionally fog lights could better the frontal look as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3882047)

One year back I gifted my father his new car. We had nothing in mind for a particular brand or car.
As he is aging now, I proposed the car to be automatic. He was a little skeptical about it at first. The automatics under 10L on road mark were the DZire VXi auto, Ritz VXi auto, Ecosport DCT (cars were cheaper till Dec 31st. Polo was not considered for long term issues known with that DSG. Micra has a lethargic CVT and that was it.
So I am a person who is less likely to get attracted by list of features. For an automatic for me, the very basic neccessity is strong low and middle end torque. I will buy a music system if it's not there but low end torque, I just need it for an auto.
Now, the new entrant in the Auto world was the Tata Zest VGT AMT. It's a diesel, it has got a VGT, hence excellent low end torque and it has got an AMT working on top of a regular manual gearbox, so no loss of power, no rubber band effect. Yes the AMT is not as a dual clutch box but definitely better than a CVT. You won't believe how good it is unless you drive it on long distances. On road it came to 8L ₹.
The DZire auto is a petrol Baleno wasn't there at that time, Amaze and Xcent were never considered for pathetic interiors and a weeker petrol auto respectively.
The Zest came with the same engine that Ciaz, Linea and S Cross come equipped with. It had ABS, EBD and CSC. No airbags was the only flaw if you look at it. It had 15" alloys, 185mm tires, a HK music system, steering mounted controls, nothing came close to that as an automatic car and an overall package.

Any one has any clear idea about : Apple car play vs Android Auto vs Mirror link? From what i understand all three are some forms of bringing the smart phone experience to the car head unit
I am interested in knowing if there's anything similar for non-apple phones when used with baleno's HU. (i.e something more than the regular bluetooth connectivity, perhaps allowing usage of phone apps on the HU)

Baleno says it has 'Smart Play infotainment' support (different from Apple Car Play). I guess its just another name for MirrorLink which allows apple car play like functionality for compatible phones. (this is different from Android Auto).

Wiki page here mentions about Ciaz/Baleno etc HUs support for MirrorLink:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MirrorLink

So phones supporting mirror link should theoretically work with Baleno's HU to provide enhanced experience. Any ideas if this works?