Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2017, 14:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor : Official Review

Well, the rear nothcback-esque styling is a welcome change in this ugly segment. Other than that, meh!

I hope other players in the segment adopt this design philosophy, just for the sake of fewer eyesores while waiting at the traffic signal.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:29   #17
BHPian

Great review as expected.

1] The manufacturers can no longer treat engines with ''chalta ha'' attitude. Drivability, refinement, good NVH and good highway cruising ability matters to an average Indian consumer. Sadly Tata's have gone in for three cylinder options which lack both performance and refinement. The compact sedan segment is cut throat competitive and the consumer has plenty of choices.

2] The inability to fit in a third passenger comfortably in the back seat is a setback in this segment.

3] Not having even an option of Airbag in lower variants a big no no.

4] Tigor looks good, has good dynamics, excellent ride quality, good interior, music system but it is fighting an uphill battle with those mediocre engines, lack of Airbags in lower variants and Tata's questionable sales and service experience.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Brilliantly done Omkar! You have covered it all in much detail. Given a full 5 star rating!

Tigor is rich in features and Tata has done really well and put a lot on details. At this price point, my only concerns however remain with the reliability of this 3 pot engine and overall quality in long term. Not to mention the aftersales service. Thanks.

Last edited by Nohonking : 25th June 2017 at 14:31.
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:42   #19
BHPian

Brilliant review as always, read it all in one go!

Apologies for nitpicking, but aren't these two points contradictory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Big shoutout to BHPian amrutmhatre90 for letting us drive his family's brand-new car for this review. Thank you! Tata Motors was unable to arrange a media car for us in Mumbai:
Quote:
Other Points

Disclaimer: Tata invited Team-BHP for the Tigor test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:

• Great styling. A chic-looking compact sedan. Solid build too
• Tata has put in a lot of effort on quality and it shows
• Well-priced for what it offers; undercuts all the direct competitors
• High quality, nicely designed cabin. Lots of storage and a segment best 419-litre boot
• Good driveability (both engines), a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Amazing 8-speaker Harman entertainment system. Sounds top class!
• Feature list with 2 driving modes, parking sensors, cooled glovebox, touchscreen ICE etc.

What you won't:

• Mediocre 3-cylinder engines. They lag behind the competition in performance & refinement
Just look at the long list of + points which are negated by a single -ive point of 3 cylinder engines. Common Tata you already had a good base set by Tiago. Instead of projector headlamps, auto ac, led tail lamps etc proper 4 cylinder engines would have given a good chance to this car to grab some numbers from other compact sedans.
Some might say that price is low and it it trying to create a new segment of it's own, but sedan with a weak engine will put most of the customers off!! Tata is not in a position to create new segments, they need to establish themselves.

Quote:
Big shoutout to BHPian amrutmhatre90 for letting us drive his family's brand-new car for this review. Thank you! Tata Motors was unable to arrange a media car for us in Mumbai
A big thank you to amrutmhatre90 for lending his new car for this highly anticipated tem-bhp review. And shame on Tata motors for such poor management.

All recent Tata products have USP, however they need to realize that an all rounder nature is required for the product to succeed. Just take a look at new Maruti Dzire, which has a 3 months waiting period. Reason standard safety features, wide pricing range and choice of AMT and manual gearbox.

Thanks to team-bhp for another spectacular review.
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Brilliant review as always, read it all in one go!

Apologies for nitpicking, but aren't these two points contradictory?
As per GTO's post team-bhp required more time with Tigor to come up with the review. A demo car was not made available to them in Mumbai after the test-drive event.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 16:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review! Rating it 5 stars
All I hope is that early customers aren't part of the R&D club. Tata should have enough feedback from the Tiago and hopefully ironed out some deficiencies.

I'm impressed with Tata trying to shed the family design and take some 'risks'
Overall, it seems a very impressive cars with ordinary engines.

Quote:
• Fuel tank capacity = 35 liters (ditto with the Amaze). That is way too small. Even the new Dzire has a smaller tank than its predecessor. What is it with manufacturers shrinking the fuel tank size?
Smaller tanks=Better flexibility in packaging to get the best rear seat comfort and boot space.

I really won't be bothered too much. My Innova gives me ~480 KM of tank range on the highways.

With high FE, these cars you mentioned can give you range of 600 km+ on the highway.

For city use, it's better to keep filling up frequently so that one can check air pressures too.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 19:32   #23
BANNED

Excellent Review, deserves 5 star rating and I have rated it the same. TATA has done an excellent design on the Tigor , i would park it and look at it for long hours, no doubt on it . The other compact sedans cannot hold a candle against Tigor. TATA you have executed wonderful work, Take a bow. Now, the most things that ring to me in a Vehicle are engine and safety. From the lot the Ford Aspire has the best engine and safety features, especially the S variant.

TATA bring on the powerful engines please, an excellent drive after a stressful day makes me smile back to home.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Language
Hot_nut is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2017, 20:41   #24
BHPian

Awesome Review! Tigor (alongwith Tiago & Hexa) is a very potent car & more so from Tata after a long lull in their product line. Better late than never.

I have a query though, the car in initial pics has brown seat covers while the latter has black I loved the brown ones. If possible, can you please confirm where were they sourced from? (the look, although from a distance, feels quite good)
Old 25th June 2017, 20:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
Awesome Review! Tigor (alongwith Tiago & Hexa) is a very potent car & more so from Tata after a long lull in their product line. Better late than never.

I have a query though, the car in initial pics has brown seat covers while the latter has black I loved the brown ones. If possible, can you please confirm where were they sourced from? (the look, although from a distance, feels quite good)
The brown are aftermarket leather ones, fitted at dealership in Chembur (Wasan Motors). Both are different cars, black interior pics are from the Media Drive which happened in Delhi.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 22:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The Tata Tigor is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 4.70 - 7.09 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines

• Tata's after-sales experience remains a gamble. Service quality is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai
Sorry, I am not going to cheerlead your review. How many more decades are team-bhp reviewers going to copy paste these two sentences for Tata cars? You have neither driven this car for extended period to talk about reliability nor do you have statistical data to talk about service quality in the recent times. These kind of stereotypical statements are unfair to any manufacturer.
Theyota is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 23:09   #27

The much-awaited review on the budget-sedan from Tata. Very comprehensive and well-illustrated.

I found that most of the points mentioned were similar to the Tiago review - but understandable considering the car itself is based on Tiago. I was about to contradict as well the last line thanking Tata who DID NOT arrange for a testing vehicle.

Seems to be a good value for money option in this segment. I'm still undecided between which one to go for considering my need for a Petrol engined car that doesn't break the bank - currently considering Aspire 1.2P, Tiago Revotron and i20 1.2P Sportz (If its Elite i20, I could settle for a hatch instead of a sub-4m sedan)
sivathetechwiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 00:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Omkar and Eddy for the detailed review, and thanks to Amrut for helping our community out. Much appreciated.

It is heartening to see that Tata continues to make great strides in quality. Even though the engines are mediocre, I think the bigger deal is the lack of optional safety features across the range (e.g. no XM(O)). I understand that having too many production SKUs is complicated, but safety has to be democratized (and should be table stakes). If the Tigor has any hope in hell of competing with the Dzire, despite the lower price, they have to fight tooth and nail for it.

Minor question:
What's going on with the tire pressure ratings?

Tata Tigor : Official Review-2017tatatigor18.jpg

Tata Tigor : Official Review-2017tatatigor25.jpg
Amartya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 01:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Sorry, I am not going to cheerlead your review. How many more decades are team-bhp reviewers going to copy paste these two sentences for Tata cars? You have neither driven this car for extended period to talk about reliability nor do you have statistical data to talk about service quality in the recent times. These kind of stereotypical statements are unfair to any manufacturer.
I do not suppose they have done this based on a single opinion. If you consider users like me who do own Tata vehicles I can vouch for the accuracy of every word in that statement. It costs me more to maintain a Tata Nano than a Honda City. Last time (just a few months back), a Tata service center blatantly ripped off close to 6K for a radiator change when the Honda's could be had as less as 4800. I've just mentioned the last incident and there are many more before this. And there's nothing you can do.

With my experience I would rate them the worst in service easily. I can't stereotype, Yes, because that's my personal experience. But unfortunately, I will voice out my displeasure considering Tata does nothing to improve its service network and their after-sales behavior towards customers. Till then I will always maintain this - "Tatas make Excellent cars ruined by their incompetent service"

I hope no offence is taken by users who may be having a very good experience with Tata.
jagzrk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 01:31   #30
BHPian

Jagzrk,
I am not denying the fact that customers have had bad experiences with Tata Motors dealers. Fact is customers have had bad experiences with dealers of every brand. Look at the Maruti long term ownership threads. We have Maruti Alto owners who have been happily paying 6 to 7K for a regular service which primarily involves oil change and a car wash. Isn't that a rip off? Why would it cost 7k for a tiny little car like an Alto.

Without claiming it as an excuse, I feel the auto sales and service business model in India is a flawed one. People without enough resources invest millions in opening a dealership and with the current sales volumes they are not able to break-even with sales and honest service alone. Therefore what they do is, they try to suck it out of the customers who bring in their cars for service. The capital needed to open a dealership due to high real estate prices does not justify returns in this business.

Last edited by Theyota : 26th June 2017 at 01:44. Reason: a
Theyota is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks