Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 14:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review

Crisp coverage . Ford's new 3 cylinder mills look interesting, fuel efficient and adequately peppy, adding turbo charged petrol motors would make them even more attractive. Freestyle gives importance to both petrol and diesel buyers equally, that's a nice thing.

To me from the front it looks like Punto
cmani0000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 14:33   #17
anb
BHPian

Freestyle is probably the best VFM product offered around 8 lakhs. I'd pick 1.5 D over new petrol due to its added punch and fuel economy. The Figo itself is a competent product in it's category with excellent chassis and best in class diesel engine. I think based on Figo should be mentioned under what you like. Sales of Figo was low only because it was not a Suzuki or a Toyota. The interior quality and build quality are better than cars like Baleno or Etios cross if not as good as VW.

Last edited by anb : 21st May 2018 at 14:41.
anb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 15:04   #18
BHPian

Freestyle is Ford India's move in the right direction. Figo (current gen) failed to sell like the Ignis or the Swift. But the 1.5 TDCi powering the Figo and the build quality compared to its counter parts were worth the applause. The uninspiring interiors were a let down. Let us not term it a flop. Rather than plonking in the old under-powered 1.4 TDCI of the last gen FIGO into the new Figo the American manufacturer gave the Indian enthusiasts a bang for the buck with the 1.5 TDCI.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 21st May 2018 at 15:06.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 15:25   #19
BHPian

I've already booked a Titanium Plus Petrol.

The review is right on time and it just reaffirms the decision I made.

I had a petrol test drive last Saturday and found it to be good to drive.

As mentioned this is one of the few cars with a good power steering with good weight and a good return to centre action.

Will post updates once I get the car.

Attaching the price list in Kochi.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-img_20180505_141715.jpg  

nmenon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 15:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review, guys !

But I feel that the Freestyle looks too similar to the regular Figo, except for the plastic cladding, roof rails and extra ground clearance. Ford should have tried to add more visual distinction. For example, the W-RV vs Jazz.

Also, no automatic transmission on offer cannot be justified for a model launching in 2018.

How does it compare to Ignis, which would be its main rival ? On paper, Ignis has a better petrol engine, AMT option and Maruti's service backup. I doubt whether Freestyle even has a chance in this segment.

Rohan
Old 21st May 2018, 16:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review complimented by some superbly detailed pics, Kanad & Anshuman. Thanks for the wonderful analysis!

The VFM quotient of the Freestyle is hard to ignore. You simply cannot look past an offering in the B-segment under 9 lakhs which gives you 6 airbags and the legendary Ford driveability (very tempting combination!). I would dare say that the Freestyle should be the de-facto choice for most driving enthusiasts looking for a solid option under the 9 lakh rupee mark.

Colours on offer:
Canyon Ridge
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-can-ridge.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-can-ridge2.jpg

Smoke Grey (The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs)
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-smoked-grey.jpg

Moondust Silver
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-silver2.jpg

Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-silver.jpg

Oxford White
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-ox-white2.jpg

Absolute Black (no pics yet but it will look like this)
Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review-ab-black.jpg

In addition, the Freestyle in White Gold colour shade has been captured superbly in our review already.

Thanks to the Ford Freestyle group on FB for the pics.

Rated a very well-deserved 5 stars!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th May 2018 at 11:07. Reason: As requested
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

How does Figo compare against Swift. While I consider Swift as current benchmark when it comes to fun to drive, would like to know where does Freestyle stand. Of course there is GT and Abarth but they are at a different price point.
Old 21st May 2018, 17:08   #23
BHPian

While the pricing of the Freestyle is seriously good, Ford's volatile pricing strategy in India is very concerning.

The Freestyle which is effectively the facelifted Figo on stilts makes the erstwhile Figo look irrelevant and overpriced. The Figo facelift expected later in the year no doubt will be even cheaper than the Freestyle and this situation makes anyone who'd have bought the current gen Figo feel cheated and stand to face heavier depreciation.

In all likelihood, Ford might even end up repeating the Fiesta story. I had picked up the new Fiesta back in 2011 and will vouch for how good a car it is. But Ford could never get its head around its pricing. The Fiesta was overpriced at launch, sold on discounts and then came a facelift with 'killer' price which made us, early & loyal customers look like fools. It ultimately flopped effectively killing the 'Fiesta' line.

It would be a pity for the Figo to meet with a similar fate.
clementj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 19:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
How does Figo compare against Swift. While I consider Swift as current benchmark when it comes to fun to drive, would like to know where does Freestyle stand. Of course there is GT and Abarth but they are at a different price point.
You said it ! Swift was a benchmark and no longer it is a benchmark atleast in its diesel avatar. The K-series petrol motor with its butter smooth gear shift is a gem on the Swift. But when it comes to diesel it is a different game altogether. The national diesel engine powering the Swift is way too underpowered considering todays standards. It is where Figo outpaces the Swift with its 1.5 TDCI diesel.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 20:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Wonderful review, guys !

But I feel that the Freestyle looks too similar to the regular Figo, except for the plastic cladding, roof rails and extra ground clearance. Ford should have tried to add more visual distinction. For example, the W-RV vs Jazz.

Also, no automatic transmission on offer cannot be justified for a model launching in 2018.

How does it compare to Ignis, which would be its main rival ? On paper, Ignis has a better petrol engine, AMT option and Maruti's service backup. I doubt whether Freestyle even has a chance in this segment.

Rohan
Here it is.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-408346
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:12   #26
BHPian

Excellent review.

Ford must be complimented for pro-actively bringing improvements over Figo. Dragon petrol 1.2 is no doubt potent. Maybe Suzuki K12 overall still could prove a superior package, but feel Dragon fares better than Hyundai's 1.2.

The next thing is new gearbox. Being a Ford owner, I loved the sure-slotting way of the earlier generation gear box and even could live with its being notchy. But the gearbox of Freestyle makes the earlier one appears really inferior.

I so far have test driven the vehicle just once over about 6 kms, so will reserve my views on ride cum handling. But don't think eventually will come out disagreeing with most reviewers.

My wish is that Ford brings 6 speed AT with the same 1.2 dragon. The car already has EBD, Hill Assist, Traction Control and Anti Rolling installed; so the change to AT transmission hopefully can be priced competitively by Ford. It surely will be a heck of a package.

Hope Ford is listening.
rsm97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Thanks for the link, but this compares the diesel variants, where the choice is obvious.

I was more interested in the petrol variants.

I feel that Ford should have undercut the Ignis pricing. I don't understand why everyone is calling it well priced.

I agree that Freestyle has more safety features, but does the mass market really care for these ? The product should make a business case too.

Rohan
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
You said it ! Swift was a benchmark and no longer it is a benchmark atleast in its diesel avatar. The K-series petrol motor with its butter smooth gear shift is a gem on the Swift. But when it comes to diesel it is a different game altogether. The national diesel engine powering the Swift is way too underpowered considering todays standards. It is where Figo outpaces the Swift with its 1.5 TDCI diesel.
W.R.TO diesel there is no contention, DDiS is too old and no match for TDCi,TDi or the CRDi. Question is more w.r.to Petrol, despite Ford getting the most powerful motor among competition, review points out that the K Series is superior. Ride and handling department comparison should give a good idea which should be the pick among two.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:21   #29
BHPian

So last Saturday i walked into Kavish Ford in Chandivali, Mumbai.

There was no other customer there. I walked in and went to the reception and told them i wanted to test drive the freestyle & the Figo Automatic. I reached there at 12 in the super hot afternoon and i was not asked for water, forget refreshments. Not that i went in there to have snacks, but that is basic courtesy we all follow even in our homes.

For the next 15 mins, I check out all their display cars, opening doors, opening the boot, sitting in every seat, etc. None of their staff approach me, but a few keep staring at me and continue working on their laptops.

Then an SA comes to me and asks if i had spoken to anyone before dropping in and i say No. Then i tell him i want to drive the cars. In next 5 mins we are sitting inside the freestyle. The SA is dead quiet.

Driving experience: It was the petrol. Ride quality is superb, the overall insulation is really good. At times though i felt that the car continued acceleration even after i had taken my foot off the A pedal. Observed this in B2B traffic. The quality of knobs and switches is top notch. The music system is great and that touch screen is silky smooth! The car has a good presence and you sit in a good position. Overall visibility is excellent, the brakes are awesome, and turning radius is impressive too.

Rear seat is completely bland and frankly, its just too soft. No bottle holders, no place to even rest an arm on the door. I cannot put the rear passengers in such a misery on those long drive. I hated it. I asked him if they can do anything about the useless fixed headrests and he said No.

Test drive was over. SA asked me if i liked the car, one sentence robotic tone question to which i was Yes. Thats it. He went in and got the price list and asked me by when i want to buy a car. I said in the next 2 months.

When i met him in the beginning, he had told me they also had the Figo automatic which i wanted to test drive. No mention of that in the end. Someone was also supposed to do the valuation of my existing car, that also had not happened.

I walked out.

1 min drive later i parked outside the Maruti showroom as i wanted to drive the Swift AMT. The experience was exactly the opp. I was greeted by an SA right at the door itself. Every customer who walked in was greeted right at the door. I was given water and a soft drink without even asking for it. I will not write about the driving experience as this is not a swift thread, but the SA was the best I ever met. Adequately enthusiastic and not pushy. Asked me if i wanted to sit behind while he drove. Asked me to take the car over bad roads, asked me to check high speed braking. A hot sunday afternoon keeps the roads kinda open. By the time my test drive was over, they had driven my Ritz for valuation check. I casually asked the SA that i wish Swift had arm rest at the back, and surprisingly he said that buy the car and he will get it fabricated from the dealership itself.

There are 2 vegetable sellers in my area, one sells fresh stuff which has visibly better quality, but the place where he sits is a bit close to a dumping place and it stinks a bit, some flies around, etc. There is another seller who sits a bit further but keeps everything neat and clean, sells it at a little premium, but I have always seen him do much more business than the first seller.

Rant over.
Dieselritzer is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:20   #30
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I was more interested in the petrol variants.

I feel that Ford should have undercut the Ignis pricing. I don't understand why everyone is calling it well priced.

I agree that Freestyle has more safety features, but does the mass market really care for these ? The product should make a business case too.

Rohan
Ignis is much smaller car than Freestyle and it is a segment down. I wonder why you still insist that the pricing should be less than Ignis. Both Swift, Ignis and Baleno share same engines and Ignis may have some performance advantage since it is the smallest car. Will you say that Price of Swift/ Baleno should under cut Ignis as Ignis has better power to weight ratio?

Last edited by anb : 22nd May 2018 at 13:22.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks