Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 11:54   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Thank you. Yes. I'll have to do 80 kmph necessarily to ensure I hit the 300 kms range.
I used the 'the better route planner' for planning your route, this is a wonderful app used in Western countries which is highly recommended by EV users. Not sure how far it will be useful in India, whether it has any charger information. You may play with your trip details.

I have given your planned route with Kona 39kwh, starting with 100% charge.

Pune-Aurangabad:
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-screenshot_20201113_114255.jpg

Aurangabad-Pune:
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-screenshot_20201113_114234.jpg
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:00   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I used the 'the better route planner' for planning your route, this is a wonderful app used in Western countries which is highly recommended by EV users. Not sure how far it will be useful in India, whether it has any charger information. You may play with your trip details.

I have given your planned route with Kona 39kwh, starting with 100% charge.

Pune-Aurangabad:
Attachment 2079859

Aurangabad-Pune:
Attachment 2079860
Thank You for this information. I will be sure to check it out.

But here’s a heads up - I reached Aurangabad last night. I think I did much better than what this app says. I had to cover about 256 kms, did it with 33% charge still remaining & the range remaining was 112 kms. So my confidence in this vehicle has tremendously increased. I did take the advice of @adi7yak and kept my navigation on to keep an eye on the kms remaining and range remaining. Comfortably did the trip. Now my return journey is tomorrow early morning around 7am. Fully charged the vehicle using the portable charger while day today.

But Thank You for this app. Will be sure to check it out.
NannuBhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:28   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Motor has decided to voluntarily recall 456 units of its electric SUV Kona which may have potential electrical deficiencies in the battery system. Hyundai made the announcement, saying that the carmaker has initiated the Kona recall to inspect the problem with its high-voltage battery system in the electric SUV manufactured between April 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...880787843.html
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:39   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai Motor has decided to voluntarily recall 456 units of its electric SUV Kona which may have potential electrical deficiencies in the battery system. Hyundai made the announcement, saying that the carmaker has initiated the Kona recall to inspect the problem with its high-voltage battery system in the electric SUV manufactured between April 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...880787843.html
Yes. Just about half an hour back, I was contacted by Hyundai Motors India (Pune branch), saying they need to perform a software update to take care of any potential battery issues. Said they’ll do it at my place.

EDIT: He also mentioned the software update was for their BMS systems (Battery management system).

Hopefully , this will take care of all known issues from past.

Last edited by NannuBhai : 2nd December 2020 at 13:43.
NannuBhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:28   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally Hyundai India wakes up to issue a recall in India. This was long pending from their end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Yes. Just about half an hour back, I was contacted by Hyundai Motors India (Pune branch), saying they need to perform a software update to take care of any potential battery issues. Said they’ll do it at my place.
Do post an update post the software update, have heard of people complaining of issues post the update.

Kona is on top of my mind for my next purchase, keenly following the issues around it's batteries and the recall.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:06   #201
BHPian

I have also been approached by Hyundai for software update related to Battery Management System. They'll send a technician home to get the job done. Will keep you all posted on the same.
Old 4th December 2020, 18:38   #202
BHPian

Just got my Kona’s software updated. The technician said the updates were to ensure lesser discharge of battery power when idle or off. Also the software update was for the front wheel motors as well.

As a result, he said post the software update, lesser battery should get discharged from the vehicle when off. Also we should see slightly better performance from the vehicle as well - improved pickup as well (though I didn’t find any improvements or otherwise).

I peeped in when he was performing the upgrade and found 4 modules being upgraded:
ECU
IGFM
MCU
VCULDC

Apologies if I got any of this wrong as his display (from his Samsung tablet) was not very legible from the angle from which I was watching.

Took a small test drive post the update and atleast in the half a kilometer round around my society (in which I even managed a 80kmph speed), I didn’t find any thing degraded atleast.

Longer drives and time will tell if the improvements are good or not.
NannuBhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:39   #203
BHPian

I received a call on the 2nd Dec for the update, the Kona service centre reps came home and did the manual update.

Drove the car for a day and today morning the car refused to switch to drive or reverse mode, showing an EV electrical vehicle system warning.

The team visited again and managed to resolve it, I received another call later in the day from the Mumbai team saying that they urgently need to take the car to the workshop to run more tests.

Now they tell me the software update has detected a flaw in the car the defective parts have to be replaced. Since the part is imported it will take a week or 2 to be delivered.

Would suggest all Kona owners to do the update.
sheldon.dz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:05   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I received a call on the 2nd Dec for the update, the Kona service centre reps came home and did the manual update.

Drove the car for a day and today morning the car refused to switch to drive or reverse mode, showing an EV electrical vehicle system warning.

The team visited again and managed to resolve it, I received another call later in the day from the Mumbai team saying that they urgently need to take the car to the workshop to run more tests.

Now they tell me the software update has detected a flaw in the car the defective parts have to be replaced. Since the part is imported it will take a week or 2 to be delivered.

Would suggest all Kona owners to do the update.
In that case, I am hoping that the update that they put to my vehicle today contains the final and emergency update that the Mumbai team said they wanted to do on your vehicle.
Old 17th December 2020, 13:22   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
I am really interested to know how the Delta wall box gets setup.
I have a single phase meter with 3kW sanctioned load from BESCOM.
On doing some googling higher than 5kW will need three phase meter and supply.
If I get 3 phase power supply setup does the whole flat needs to be done up to support 3 phase.
Can i just get a separate BESCOM Meter for the car ?
Any inputs from members who have got the Delta AC fast charger installed in an apartment complex.
So if i go for the MG ZS EV I might end up using the slow charger and need to charge more frequently.
You have 3 options:

1) Increase the sanctioned load from BESCOM. This is a one-time activity, and can be cumbersome if your area BESCOM official is not quick.
2) You can opt for the Delta charger to be set at 3kW max when it is being installed. Delta will do it for you.
3) You can install the Delta charger without any restrictions, and set the charging speed in the Kona to either "reduced" or "minimum". This will bring the power draw to around 3kW at minimum.

I would suggest point no. 3, combined with a max charge setting at 80%. If you start the charge from 20% and stop at 80%, it will ensure better battery life, give you around 300km in range, and also cut down the charging time (roughly 8 hours from start to finish). You can plug it in overnight when your power usage would be minimal and you'll be set to go when you wake up.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:08   #206
BHPian

Recently crossed 10 thousand kilometer mark on the Kona EV! Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the way it drives. You can leave almost every car eating dust even at part throttle. I plan to write a detailed review after I get the subsidized meter. (which is not installed yet thanks to state DISCOM, this thing surely is testing my patience.)

Here's a recent picture I clicked of it DC charging at IOCL Breach Candy, Mumbai while it's internal combustion engined cousin gets pollution certificate.
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-0131d02a477f458fa556ed048b6cc98d.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:50   #207
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Motor India Foundation has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FITT) - IIT Delhi and donated a single unit of the Kona Electric for NVH and battery technology research for students to study alternate energy powered vehicles and emerging technologies to innovate new-age mobility solutions.

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-smartselect_20210122224842_chrome.jpg

Source
Old 5th March 2021, 23:29   #208
BHPian

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing good and also hope that all Kona owners have got their cars back from the infamous batterygate. Firstly, apologies for waking this dormant thread up for a small update. My Kona just came back from 20k kilometres service. The actual work included... well nothing that I know of. Kothari Hyundai probably just checked if everything is alright and cleaned it inside out. Total cost of service was ₹0 since I didn’t opt for wheel balancing and alignment which would’ve costed ₹2.2k. (I usually get it done from a nearby tyre store) Fortunately my car was not subject to any part replacement after the software update. Loving this car so far and have had no issues. (except for the software update scare of course )

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-4017037c4de74f5dac7f16572b1c32a0.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 12:22   #209
BHPian

Hyundai has stopped the production of Kona Electric for the domestic market but will continue to export to overseas market.

Reasons given
  1. Align manufacturing to Ioniq 5
  2. Recalls faced over battery fires of Kona electric.
Article link -
https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210421006400320

Heard about this from podcast
https://www.evnewsdaily.com/2021/04/...p-29-apr-2021/
Old 10th August 2021, 04:47   #210
BHPian

Is Kona still on sale?

EU seem to have got hold of the next-gen/facelift variant - any news if that would hit Indian shores?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks