Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 11:54   #196
BHPian
 
SKC-auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: KA01/AP31
Posts: 232
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Thank you. Yes. I'll have to do 80 kmph necessarily to ensure I hit the 300 kms range.
I used the 'the better route planner' for planning your route, this is a wonderful app used in Western countries which is highly recommended by EV users. Not sure how far it will be useful in India, whether it has any charger information. You may play with your trip details.

I have given your planned route with Kona 39kwh, starting with 100% charge.

Pune-Aurangabad:
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-screenshot_20201113_114255.jpg

Aurangabad-Pune:
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-screenshot_20201113_114234.jpg
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:00   #197
BHPian
 
NannuBhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 58
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I used the 'the better route planner' for planning your route, this is a wonderful app used in Western countries which is highly recommended by EV users. Not sure how far it will be useful in India, whether it has any charger information. You may play with your trip details.

I have given your planned route with Kona 39kwh, starting with 100% charge.

Pune-Aurangabad:
Attachment 2079859

Aurangabad-Pune:
Attachment 2079860
Thank You for this information. I will be sure to check it out.

But here’s a heads up - I reached Aurangabad last night. I think I did much better than what this app says. I had to cover about 256 kms, did it with 33% charge still remaining & the range remaining was 112 kms. So my confidence in this vehicle has tremendously increased. I did take the advice of @adi7yak and kept my navigation on to keep an eye on the kms remaining and range remaining. Comfortably did the trip. Now my return journey is tomorrow early morning around 7am. Fully charged the vehicle using the portable charger while day today.

But Thank You for this app. Will be sure to check it out.
NannuBhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:28   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,919
Thanked: 6,504 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Hyundai Motor has decided to voluntarily recall 456 units of its electric SUV Kona which may have potential electrical deficiencies in the battery system. Hyundai made the announcement, saying that the carmaker has initiated the Kona recall to inspect the problem with its high-voltage battery system in the electric SUV manufactured between April 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...880787843.html
Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:39   #199
BHPian
 
NannuBhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 58
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai Motor has decided to voluntarily recall 456 units of its electric SUV Kona which may have potential electrical deficiencies in the battery system. Hyundai made the announcement, saying that the carmaker has initiated the Kona recall to inspect the problem with its high-voltage battery system in the electric SUV manufactured between April 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...880787843.html
Yes. Just about half an hour back, I was contacted by Hyundai Motors India (Pune branch), saying they need to perform a software update to take care of any potential battery issues. Said they’ll do it at my place.

EDIT: He also mentioned the software update was for their BMS systems (Battery management system).

Hopefully , this will take care of all known issues from past.

Last edited by NannuBhai : 2nd December 2020 at 13:43.
NannuBhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:28   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,814
Thanked: 2,695 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Hyundai Motor has decided to voluntarily recall 456 units of its electric SUV Kona which may have potential electrical deficiencies in the battery system. Hyundai made the announcement, saying that the carmaker has initiated the Kona recall to inspect the problem with its high-voltage battery system in the electric SUV manufactured between April 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020.
Finally Hyundai India wakes up to issue a recall in India. This was long pending from their end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannuBhai View Post
Yes. Just about half an hour back, I was contacted by Hyundai Motors India (Pune branch), saying they need to perform a software update to take care of any potential battery issues. Said they’ll do it at my place.
Do post an update post the software update, have heard of people complaining of issues post the update.

Kona is on top of my mind for my next purchase, keenly following the issues around it's batteries and the recall.
speedmiester is online now  
Old 4th December 2020, 10:06   #201
BHPian
 
ADI7YAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

I have also been approached by Hyundai for software update related to Battery Management System. They'll send a technician home to get the job done. Will keep you all posted on the same.
ADI7YAK is offline  
Old 4th December 2020, 18:38   #202
BHPian
 
NannuBhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 58
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Just got my Kona’s software updated. The technician said the updates were to ensure lesser discharge of battery power when idle or off. Also the software update was for the front wheel motors as well.

As a result, he said post the software update, lesser battery should get discharged from the vehicle when off. Also we should see slightly better performance from the vehicle as well - improved pickup as well (though I didn’t find any improvements or otherwise).

I peeped in when he was performing the upgrade and found 4 modules being upgraded:
ECU
IGFM
MCU
VCULDC

Apologies if I got any of this wrong as his display (from his Samsung tablet) was not very legible from the angle from which I was watching.

Took a small test drive post the update and atleast in the half a kilometer round around my society (in which I even managed a 80kmph speed), I didn’t find any thing degraded atleast.

Longer drives and time will tell if the improvements are good or not.
NannuBhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 18:39   #203
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

I received a call on the 2nd Dec for the update, the Kona service centre reps came home and did the manual update.

Drove the car for a day and today morning the car refused to switch to drive or reverse mode, showing an EV electrical vehicle system warning.

The team visited again and managed to resolve it, I received another call later in the day from the Mumbai team saying that they urgently need to take the car to the workshop to run more tests.

Now they tell me the software update has detected a flaw in the car the defective parts have to be replaced. Since the part is imported it will take a week or 2 to be delivered.

Would suggest all Kona owners to do the update.
sheldon.dz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:05   #204
BHPian
 
NannuBhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 58
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I received a call on the 2nd Dec for the update, the Kona service centre reps came home and did the manual update.

Drove the car for a day and today morning the car refused to switch to drive or reverse mode, showing an EV electrical vehicle system warning.

The team visited again and managed to resolve it, I received another call later in the day from the Mumbai team saying that they urgently need to take the car to the workshop to run more tests.

Now they tell me the software update has detected a flaw in the car the defective parts have to be replaced. Since the part is imported it will take a week or 2 to be delivered.

Would suggest all Kona owners to do the update.
In that case, I am hoping that the update that they put to my vehicle today contains the final and emergency update that the Mumbai team said they wanted to do on your vehicle.
NannuBhai is offline  
Old 17th December 2020, 13:22   #205
BHPian
 
Rossiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
I am really interested to know how the Delta wall box gets setup.
I have a single phase meter with 3kW sanctioned load from BESCOM.
On doing some googling higher than 5kW will need three phase meter and supply.
If I get 3 phase power supply setup does the whole flat needs to be done up to support 3 phase.
Can i just get a separate BESCOM Meter for the car ?
Any inputs from members who have got the Delta AC fast charger installed in an apartment complex.
So if i go for the MG ZS EV I might end up using the slow charger and need to charge more frequently.
You have 3 options:

1) Increase the sanctioned load from BESCOM. This is a one-time activity, and can be cumbersome if your area BESCOM official is not quick.
2) You can opt for the Delta charger to be set at 3kW max when it is being installed. Delta will do it for you.
3) You can install the Delta charger without any restrictions, and set the charging speed in the Kona to either "reduced" or "minimum". This will bring the power draw to around 3kW at minimum.

I would suggest point no. 3, combined with a max charge setting at 80%. If you start the charge from 20% and stop at 80%, it will ensure better battery life, give you around 300km in range, and also cut down the charging time (roughly 8 hours from start to finish). You can plug it in overnight when your power usage would be minimal and you'll be set to go when you wake up.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:08   #206
BHPian
 
ADI7YAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Recently crossed 10 thousand kilometer mark on the Kona EV! Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the way it drives. You can leave almost every car eating dust even at part throttle. I plan to write a detailed review after I get the subsidized meter. (which is not installed yet thanks to state DISCOM, this thing surely is testing my patience.)

Here's a recent picture I clicked of it DC charging at IOCL Breach Candy, Mumbai while it's internal combustion engined cousin gets pollution certificate.
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-0131d02a477f458fa556ed048b6cc98d.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks