Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2022, 23:23   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Did you find any reference for the number of charge cycles for LiPo? I searched briefly but couldn't find any reliable info.

This commonly cited paper has data for charge cycle vs capacity drop for LFP, NCA and NMC (Figure 1):
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...45-7111/abae37

Another unknown is impact of relatively high temperature climate, here again LFPs are supposed to be better.

Hence I am thinking LFP has the least battery risk with EVs in India.
I came across some research articles with conflicting assertions about the various chemistries utilised in lithium ion batteries. With more data, below report appears more impartial.
On the Current and Future Outlook of Battery Chemistries for
Electric Vehicles

LFP appears superior for Indian conditions, as you said. But I believe that any battery should work just fine for my estimated 20k km annual usage for the lifetime of the vehicle.
Hawk4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 15:39   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4 View Post
I came across some research articles with conflicting assertions about the various chemistries utilised in lithium ion batteries. With more data, below report appears more impartial.
On the Current and Future Outlook of Battery Chemistries for
Electric Vehicles

LFP appears superior for Indian conditions, as you said. But I believe that any battery should work just fine for my estimated 20k km annual usage for the lifetime of the vehicle.
Thanks for the reference, this is good input with lot of information, but it doesn't directly give any charge cycles vs capacity reduction. Also it says Kona has NMC battery (page 5, Table 1). But Hyundai guys clearly said its Lithium Polymer and not NMC, I wonder what it really is.

If it is NMC we know it is ~2000 cycles or at least 1500 and even that is good for like 4,50,000 kms.
Old 18th December 2022, 08:48   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reference, this is good input with lot of information, but it doesn't directly give any charge cycles vs capacity reduction. Also it says Kona has NMC battery (page 5, Table 1). But Hyundai guys clearly said its Lithium Polymer and not NMC, I wonder what it really is.

If it is NMC we know it is ~2000 cycles or at least 1500 and even that is good for like 4,50,000 kms.
Either polymer electrolyte or liquid electrolyte can be used to manufacture NMC batteries. Using gel-like polymers provides some advantages, such as improved protection against anode/cathode short circuit, higher specific energy, etc. These are often formed in the shape of a pouch and can withstand higher stress, flexible designs are also possible.
Old 19th December 2022, 10:05   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Either polymer electrolyte or liquid electrolyte can be used to manufacture NMC batteries. Using gel-like polymers provides some advantages, such as improved protection against anode/cathode short circuit, higher specific energy, etc. These are often formed in the shape of a pouch and can withstand higher stress, flexible designs are also possible.
In that case shouldn't it be marked as Lithium-ion polymer-C/NMCxxx, like it says for Hyundai ioniq, Kia Niro/Soul EV, in the same table?

Anyway, guess Kona is then either normal or polymer NMC, so good for 1,500 cycles/4,50,000 kms. But on the flip side, NMC is not so great for hot climates.
Old 19th December 2022, 20:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
In that case shouldn't it be marked as Lithium-ion polymer-C/NMCxxx, like it says for Hyundai ioniq, Kia Niro/Soul EV, in the same table?

Anyway, guess Kona is then either normal or polymer NMC, so good for 1,500 cycles/4,50,000 kms. But on the flip side, NMC is not so great for hot climates.
But Hyundai made it clear, especially in the owners manual, that it was a polymer type. Yes, it should last at least 1500 cycles. Age has an impact on lithium battery life as well. Even if a battery isn't used, its capacity slowly degrades.
Old 19th December 2022, 20:19   #246
BHPian

Also, the Kona costing 6L less OTR than the MG Exclusive, in comparison. I am therefore good even if I decide to replace the battery after 8 years. Because of this, I want to get Kona rather than an MG.

I liked the minimalistic and good quality interior in Kona along with all small features. MG has good road presence compared to Kona and better battery technology. I will miss Hyundai blue link when Kona facelift comes next year.
Hawk4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 09:23   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the Kona costing 6L less OTR than the MG Exclusive, in comparison. I am therefore good even if I decide to replace the battery after 8 years. Because of this, I want to get Kona rather than an MG.

I liked the minimalistic and good quality interior in Kona along with all small features. MG has good road presence compared to Kona and better battery technology. I will miss Hyundai blue link when Kona facelift comes next year.
Makes sense. Good luck, go for it and update us here.
Old 20th December 2022, 10:17   #248
BHPian

Hyundai unveils Kona Facelift 2024 line up.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Kona : Official Review-080529e053c64f4685b4a5ce6393bd03.jpeg  

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-e84354fb25024c1d8bc11e57d4df34b6.jpeg  

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-565d5dca639b4e5d941c3bc7b3de4da1.jpeg  

Hyundai Kona : Official Review-2c0b5ed1673941639f6a12018f2fd893.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 10:46   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Hyundai unveils Kona Facelift 2024 line up.
Wow! This looks super cool. Closer to Ioniq styling and pure electric form. But it may come to India by 2026.
Old 28th December 2022, 16:15   #250
BHPian

Hi all- Where can i check latest firmware updates for Kona?
Old 29th January 2023, 09:02   #251
BHPian

Hi friends! Finally sold my 1999 Daewoo Matiz and bought Hyundai Kona. Beautiful car and happy with the battery range and mind boggling torque and power. Except for little firm ride and back seat comfort , the car looks good to ride and munch miles.
sheelRP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 14:11   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelRP View Post
Hi friends! Finally sold my 1999 Daewoo Matiz and bought Hyundai Kona. Beautiful car and happy with the battery range and mind boggling torque and power. Except for little firm ride and back seat comfort , the car looks good to ride and munch miles.
Congrats on getting Kona and welcome to the EV club. Yes, Kona is great car and VFM buy after discounts.
Old 25th February 2023, 22:10   #253
vij
BHPian

I read some reports of 2023 launch, but looked speculative. Anyone knows about the 2023 model launch?

Quote:
Wow! This looks super cool. Closer to Ioniq styling and pure electric form. But it may come to India by 2026.
Is your source reliable or is it your guess?
Old 25th February 2023, 23:33   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post

Is your source reliable or is it your guess?
Thats my guess only and no official source. Yeah there is a possibility of launching it in India along with global launch to have another competitive and new model in their EV portfolio. That will also help people to forget about existing Kona battery recall issue.
Old 26th February 2023, 11:42   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on getting Kona and welcome to the EV club. Yes, Kona is great car and VFM buy after discounts.
Congrats on getting the Kona, been driving this car since 2019 and never regretted the purchase even if it cost a premium back then.

The battery recall did effect early buyers but after the replacement everything has been super. Even yearly service costs are really cheap for a 25L car.
sheldon.dz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks