Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 13:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 1.3 Turbo DIY Facelift attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishss View Post
@mav3r1ckblu3 congratulations on your new car! the sticker job looks great

You should start an ownership thread for the 1.3 turbo Duster.

What is the service interval for this variant? Also how has been your service experience so far?
Thank you for your kind words

The service intervals are 2000 Km's (or 2 months), 10000 Km's (or 12 months) and then every subsequent 10000 Km's or 12 months whichever is early. Unfortunately, I'm yet to service this vehicle as I've only driven 600 odd Km's and the first one is due by May end. I was planning to drive on weekends but due to COVID-19 restrictions enforced on weekends (absolutely necessary BTW) don't know how much I'd be able to cover in the first 2 months.

Regarding ownership thread, I'm part of the soon going to be extinct species who went ahead and bought himself a Duster in the age of Venue/Sonet/Seltos/Creta (I had my own reasons BTW). Who's gonna be interested in the ownership review of a decade old designed vehicle?

Last edited by mav3r1ckblu3 : 24th April 2021 at 13:18. Reason: Deleted an extra emoticon
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 15:03   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
Regarding ownership thread, I'm part of the soon going to be extinct species who went ahead and bought himself a Duster in the age of Venue/Sonet/Seltos/Creta (I had my own reasons BTW). Who's gonna be interested in the ownership review of a decade old designed vehicle?
Yes, you are indeed part of a dying species.

But you are also one very few people who can experience the 1.3 turbo engine and write a real life experience review on it. I am sure lot of people would be interested in that.

And in case Renault-Nissan decide to use this engine in a future model, your experience will be invaluable for prospective buyers.
girishss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:55   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure there will be a lot of interest in the ownership review of your Duster turbo CVT. The platform is rugged and reliable, and ideally suited for use on our potholed urban roads and in our tier 2 towns and villages. You have an engine that’s also used in the latest Mercedes-Benz GLA 200, that has just been launched at Rs.60 lakhs. You also have one of the best CVT transmission is available in the market today in this category. All of this amount to a really sensible, high-value option in the market today. The Seltos or the Creta cannot even hold a candle to the Duster in these departments.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:19   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishss View Post
But you are also one very few people who can experience the 1.3 turbo engine and write a real life experience review on it. I am sure lot of people would be interested in that.

And in case Renault-Nissan decide to use this engine in a future model, your experience will be invaluable for prospective buyers.
Ok I'll keep this in mind, let me cross 2000 kms and get the first free service done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am sure there will be a lot of interest in the ownership review of your Duster turbo CVT. The platform is rugged and reliable, and ideally suited for use on our potholed urban roads and in our tier 2 towns and villages. You have an engine that’s also used in the latest Mercedes-Benz GLA 200, that has just been launched at Rs.60 lakhs. You also have one of the best CVT transmission is available in the market today in this category. All of this amount to a really sensible, high-value option in the market today. The Seltos or the Creta cannot even hold a candle to the Duster in these departments.
Thank you for your kind words. Just a minor correction though, I bought the manual one. I'll write one once I'm done with the first free service.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Mods: Request you to merge this with my previous post related to modification here.

Renault: Here's our new logo which will debut from the next year onwards on our vehicles
Me: Hold my beverage

So I attempted to change the rear Renault logo on the boot of my Dusty from the past one to the future one, changed the chrome bit to Crimson Red, using black vinyl and Matt crimson red vinyl. I plan to do the same to the front big logo when I get time. Please enjoy the pics of my amateurish attempt meanwhile:
Hey congratulations! Great little cosmetic tweaks done. Really like the turbo badge on the front grill.
As others have said, I would love to read your ownership thread on this highly underrated car.

Since you stay in God's Own Country, might I suggest a short trip to the tuning shop to squeeze out more performance from this gem of an engine. I can see the 1.3 turbo Duster as one hell of a sleeper!
Gixxy.danger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 00:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
Hey congratulations! Great little cosmetic tweaks done. Really like the turbo badge on the front grill.
As others have said, I would love to read your ownership thread on this highly underrated car.

Since you stay in God's Own Country, might I suggest a short trip to the tuning shop to squeeze out more performance from this gem of an engine. I can see the 1.3 turbo Duster as one hell of a sleeper!
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'd love to write one, but it's a pity I've been able to drive it for approximately 600 Km's only till now, in the 40 odd days she's been with me, with the lockdown restrictions and all.

Regarding tuning, I haven't even given it the "pedal to the metal" treatment yet with the run in period being in effect. But I still love to drive it whenever I can and it does bring a smile to my face when I press the accelerator. It'd be a stretch to say whether I'd be able to extract even 90% of its default power. But who knows, maybe 5-6 years down the line, when I'm starting to get bored, I may consider Stage-1 tuning and progress from there. Lets see, as of now I'm pretty happy with what the engine has to offer in the default setting, power which is yet to be fully utilized!

Last edited by mav3r1ckblu3 : 19th May 2021 at 00:42. Reason: Grammatical
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 22:38   #82
BANNED

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review

Other than HP and superb refined engine, beyond cosmetic changes, is there.any critical safety feature added?
For a safety conscious driver like me (below 90kmph), is the naturally aspirated 1.5L best suited or 1.3L turbo?
Happy to get expert opinion. Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 01:36   #83
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Other than HP and superb refined engine, beyond cosmetic changes, is there.any critical safety feature added?
If your comparison is with 1.5 NA petrol engine the 1.3 Turbo petrol has the following bit of safety kit:
-Hill hold
-Electronic Stability Program
-Speed limiter

The 1.5 CVT might have some of these features but I think they have removed it from their list of offerings.
Old 19th July 2021, 12:49   #84
BHPian

Quote:
....Who's gonna be interested in the ownership review of a decade old designed vehicle?
Pretty much everyone on this forum and a whole bunch of non members too. Please do put up a detailed review.
Roy.S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:26   #85
BHPian

I'm planning to book Duster RxZ 1.3L Turbo CVT model, scheduled a test drive tomorrow. My requirements are unique.
1. We have Ertiga and Creta in the family, mom cant climb in both these cars, but comfortable with WagonR. Duster is car like, hoping it should be easier to get in like WagonR.
2. Mostly travel on rough and narrow state highways, need sturdy and abuse friendly vehicle.
3. It has to be SUV for ground clearance and ease of driving in city.
4. I can live with the outdated interiors. my usage is never more than 500 kms per month, with pandemic, expecting 200 kms per month.

Questions to forum
1. Do you think of other cars that can fit my requirement above?
2. Dealer is offering an unsold 2020 model, is it recommendable to take advantage of it? Or should i totally avoid? I can do a detailed PDI
3. What discount range i can bargain usually at a Renault dealer based on your experience?
4. How is your 1.3l Turbo and CVT experience?
Old 4th September 2021, 23:34   #86
BHPian

I did a brief TD of Duster BS6 both NA and Turbo. NA is sluggish and Turbo is fun to drive but marred by low RPM stalling.

I'm fine with decade old interiors but stalling at low RPM especially in traffic and elevations of Bengaluru is a nightmare. Does CVT live up to its expectations ?

Apart from this I've few questions to latest or long time owners here,

1. Ingress felt bit tough & (had to literally squeeze in myself on the seat unlike my Ritz which was a simple step in)

2. Finding right position was always a gamble with moving driver seat to front was squeezing me whilst moving back made the A-B-C pedals unreachable.

3. The Euro stlye turn indicator on left hand side and windshield wiper on right hand side was tough with left hand rested in arm rest and right hand holding steering wheel most of the time.

4. During TD felt protruding wheel arches to scrape someone somewhere - especially in Bengaluru. (My first SUV, so please clarify)

5. The ORVM joystick felt hard, not expecting a Honda like butter smooth operation but 17L is that all I get ?

6. The enclosure (or whatever name it has got) of window roll-up/down buttons seems to be hitting my knees while driving.

Request fellow owners in this thread give your inputs. Fed up with second hand market inflating prices and planning to go for brand new one.
Old 5th September 2021, 07:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
I did a brief TD of Duster BS6 both NA and Turbo. NA is sluggish and Turbo is fun to drive but marred by low RPM stalling.

Request fellow owners in this thread give your inputs. Fed up with second hand market inflating prices and planning to go for brand new one.
1) While I havent driven the BS6 petrol Dusters, I have owned the diesel manual version earlier. As far as ingress-egress goes, the Duster has a higher floor than the Ritz, with a flattish ceiling. Plus the front door has a sharply raked angle. So some people can have a bit of trouble. Even for a man of average height of 5ft 7in, my father always used to complain on this point while trying to get to the front seat. He felt that ingress into the Polo was much better !. The trick is bend your head laterally (not sideways entry as is normal) before entering the car. Rear ingress-egress is not an issue at all.

2) Seat adjustment is usually a one time affair, and doesnt bother if you are going to be the primary driver.
3) The LHS orientation of stalks is not unique to the Duster. Many Euro-designs have it. Again a matter of few days of getting used to.
4) Once you get a hang of the dimensions of the Duster (which are'nt huge ) you will not worry about protruding wheel arches. Only time you must think of them is when you are trying to squeeze through very narrow roads with parked cars or objects. But its not a deal breaker generally.
Lastly. if you want to get the Duster, go for the CVT. One less hassle to bother with gearshifts, which you may feel to be a bit notchy compared to a Ritz. The 1.3 engine is , by all accounts, fantastic and you wont be disappointed.
The Duster is a rough and ready car, provided you are willing to sacrifice on opulent interiors. The ride quality is still the best in its segment, especially if you plan on touring various parts of the country.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th September 2021 at 07:48.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 10:53   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post

I'm fine with decade old interiors but stalling at low RPM especially in traffic and elevations of Bengaluru is a nightmare. Does CVT live up to its expectations ?
I have a Duster Turbo Petrol CVT and it is a breeze to drive it in the city as well as on the highway. The manual has a habit of stalling and you have to go down to 1 gear on every other speed breaker. The CVT gets rid of those issues. You just need to get used to a bit of the rubber band effect at lower rpms.
aKrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:42   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKrain View Post
I have a Duster Turbo Petrol CVT and it is a breeze to drive it in the city as well as on the highway. The manual has a habit of stalling and you have to go down to 1 gear on every other speed breaker. The CVT gets rid of those issues. You just need to get used to a bit of the rubber band effect at lower rpms.
Hi aKrain, at low RPMs, have you tried the manual mode of the CVT gearbox? Does that make any difference in the drive? Moreover, is the rev sound intruding due to auto cvt rubberband effect?
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 13:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Hi aKrain, at low RPMs, have you tried the manual mode of the CVT gearbox? Does that make any difference in the drive? Moreover, is the rev sound intruding due to auto cvt rubberband effect?
The rubberband effect is really not that pronounced. It is only experienced in case you need sudden acceleration and one can easily adjust to it. Moreover, the power available with the engine more than makes up for it.

I have also used the manual mode and it does help a bit with the rubberband effect. The engine revs don't really intrude into the cabin at lower rps as the engine is quite somooth and silent and lower rpms.

Overall the Turbo+CVT combination is great unless you are a race driver

Last edited by aKrain : 7th September 2021 at 13:13. Reason: Minor corrections
aKrain is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks