Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:50   #151

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
Literature on battery types surprisingly is relatively limited online. All I could see online was EFB is a type of ISS (Idle Start Stop). Its been a couple of days and all seems fine so far. Auto start stop works like a charm and A/C blower and audio system o/p seem to have noticeably improved though I am not sure if I am imagining things! Only bummer was the stock battery's heat shield doesn't fit this one. Want to know from OP if it fit the above EFB battery. Technician says service center should have a heat shield that fits 70DIN battery. Need to check. Also was wondering if changing the stock 60 Ah battery with this 70 Ah one is ok but then settled after seeing this post as well as my SA mentioning 70 Ah.
Thankyou. Your research really helped me. My battery health also did come down after 2 and a half years of usage. 23k covered only.

I too just replaced with Exide DIN70 ISS. Reused the heat shield. Tore it up and left the open area away from the engine.

Cost 7900 after exchange.

Notable difference is the cranking smoothness and higher fan speed when on standby.

Like you said, the warranty is the USP of buying outside from Renault. Additionally the extra 10ah capacity.
Old 17th January 2024, 14:14   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Thanks for the reply. AT tyres do have slight road noise anyways. Is it too pronounced on the UM ATs? Wanted to know about their dry and wet grip. Most people you talk to about these tyres say they are bad but your experience says otherwise. Some reviews i read on amazon said the wet grip is bad. Has the ride quality improved as compared to your earlier ones ? Would you compare them with maxxis or radar tyres ?
I again apologize for the delayed revert, I have only logged into the TBHP website today since my last revert!

AT's traditionally because of their tread patterns are noisier than their HT counterparts, so is the case here as well. The grip on dry and wet roads is good as well, never faced any issues driving all those KM's in Kerala and TN during summers and monsoons. I usually slow down when I approach a water puddle for pedestrian's sake, so the risk of hydroplaning is also negated, though on highways I have on rare occasions driven through water puddles as well without any issues. 24000 Km's without a single puncture and counting. Since the tyre's side profile increased (215/65/R16) when compared to the factory setup (215/60/R17) the ride is more cushy and comfortable. Unfortunately I won't be able to comment on Maxxis or Radar since I haven't personally used those brands so I am not in a position to compare them.
Old 6th March 2024, 14:51   #153

I have recently purchased a used Renault Duster 1.3T CVT. I have been facing the following minor issues:
  1. I drive every day to work, so the cold start in the morning is done not more than 12 hours from the last drive.For the first 5-10 mins, and while driving within the RPM range of 1000-1800, the car shudders and behaves like a normal car would on low battery. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, this is the best I can explain.
  2. Secondly, with respect to the idle start-stop, when the car goes on battery mode, and I have to move right after (within 2 seconds lets say) it goes to battery mode, more often than not the car stalls. I am fed up with restarting the car every day, as the Noida-Delhi stop and go traffic has been horrible recently. Is there a way to completely remove this feature?
Now when i got the car inspected initially before buying, the OBD reader did give an error regarding Injection (picture attached), but there has been no check engine light, and two sets of garages have said to drive the car normally and only worry when the check engine light blinks.

The battery was also tested and confirmed to be working fine. The battery is a replacement battery (Exide) and not the one that comes from the factory, going by the other messages and pictures shared on this thread.

Please someone help me in understanding/resolving these two issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review-20240201_154444.jpg  

Old 11th March 2024, 10:23   #154

Hi all,

Our Renault Duster Turbo CVT (purchased on September 2021), has covered 43000 + km.

About two weeks ago, we noticed a recurrent noise coming from the vehicle as it was driving which was barely noticeable but still a point of concern.
Initially, we had assumed it was from the engine and during an appointment with the service centre, the sound had remarkably refused to make an appearance leaving us puzzled over its origins.

Yet the sound continued to show up on occasional drives.
While having the horns replaced at a local car mechanic, we decided to consult the mechanic for a solution to his problem to which he had pointed out that the wheel bearings needed replacement.

Soon enough the sound started getting louder and louder until the cracking sounds seemed to engulf the cabin every time the car moved...and this incident just so happened to occur on a drive.

Hence, we made our way to the nearest Renault service centre, where we were quoted a price of 6K per wheel and a waiting period of atleast two weeks. A quick call to the local mechanic and we were informed that this was too high a price and that he had the bearings in stock.

And so we made our way home with the noise elevating our blood pressure everytime we slowed down.

Upon parking the car at home, the right rear wheel emitted an immense burning smell and the alloy was much hotter than it was supposed to be.
(The other three wheels were warm, if not room temperature while this one was too hot to touch)

The next day we set out to the mechanic to get the bearing replaced.
However twenty minutes into the ride, the sounds kept increasing in intensity and volume ultimately concluding with the rear right wheel locking up.

We pulled over and waited nearly two hours for a tow truck to show up and watched our beloved Duster get loaded onto a towing bed for the first time.
(First time for any of the vehicles we've owned actually)

Its been two days and we haven't recieved a call back from the Renault Service Centre regarding the parts.

So my question is this -

Is it normal for a vehicle to have its wheel bearings in this condition at around 43K + kms?

Especially because we had owned a Ciaz for 55K kms prior to booking the duster and we didnt have any such problems.

So is it a normal occurence for Renault cars or is it specific to the driving patterns?

My uninformed assumption tells me that the front wheels (bearing the load, since the SUV is a FWD vehicle) might need replacement sooner than the rear wheels...so any specific reason why it might have happened to the rear wheel?

Your inputs will be of great value.
Thanks.

Attaching pictures of our Duster on the towing bed

Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240310-2.27.42-pm.jpeg

Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240310-2.27.42-pm-1.jpeg
Old 20th March 2024, 11:51   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricVrooms View Post

Secondly, with respect to the idle start-stop, when the car goes on battery mode, and I have to move right after (within 2 seconds lets say) it goes to battery mode, more often than not the car stalls.

I have faced this issue in my Duster Turbo as well and the fix is to turn off the auto start stop feature in a traffic jam using the button next to the 12V socket. Have even faced this issue with cold starts in the morning when the car doesn't start in one go but that is alleviated to some extent by pressing the accelerator while cranking.
I think this issue may be related more to fuel intake rather than battery as I have a new battery which is in good health.

Last edited by aKrain : 20th March 2024 at 11:53.
Old 20th March 2024, 14:41   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKrain View Post
I have faced this issue in my Duster Turbo as well and the fix is to turn off the auto start stop feature in a traffic jam using the button next to the 12V socket. Have even faced this issue with cold starts in the morning when the car doesn't start in one go but that is alleviated to some extent by pressing the accelerator while cranking.
I think this issue may be related more to fuel intake rather than battery as I have a new battery which is in good health.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think it could be related to the "Injection issue that is mentioned in the picture attached to my previous message? although the check engine light does not turn on, this issue was detected through an OBD scanner before buying the car. My mechanic said its a non-issue as of now.
Old 26th March 2024, 22:22   #157
BHPian

Ownership update (pending for a long time) approx. 34000 Kms on Odo...

Hi Fellow T'BHP ians,

This is just an ownership update since my last upgrade (which was actually about the downsizing of tyres). I've now driven 34000 Kms approximately in 3 years and it has been a wonderful experience of owning this underrated beast of a machine. One thing that has stayed consistent since the beginning of ownership is that even to this day, every time I switch off the beast and lock it to park it, I look back at it in admiration atleast once before walking away

Everyone already knows about the good things of this beast so at the cost of sounding like a broken record let me go over it all over again.

1. Powerful engine
2. Great suspension
3. Exterior has aged well (I'm old-school, and this looks brilliantly proportionate from ANY angle)
4. VFM product (15 Lakhs on-road for a fully loaded Turbo Petrol MT at the time of purchase)
5. Interiors have held well, NO loose fitting peripherals which rattle at the slightest jerk on bumpy roads.
6. Hydraulic steering, so great feedback from road (not to everybody's liking though)
7. OEM ICE has held its own, I only upgraded the front speakers to JBL (you can find the write up on this thread)
8. Storage, plenty of spaces to store things inside the cabin and in the boot.
9. Highway mileage of 15 Kmpl is my personal best so far.

Not so great things:

1. Turbo lag till 2000 RPM (I'm used to it now, learnt to modulate the clutch and accelerator to overcome this)
2. Hard clutch (used to it now, for comparison, the clutch of the new Force Gurkha is light-er compared to this)
3. Manual transmission makes its presence felt during rush hour and start & stop traffic (I don't need to go to gym to exercise my leg muscles due to point no. 2 above)
4. Interiors (I don't mind it though, functionality over form for me)
5. Single digit mileage when driven hard.

Things I faced during ownership (I have opted in for extended warranty and Renault easy care packages BTW)

1. Auto start-stop feature - I never used this feature (disabled this to save battery and turbo) but it stopped functioning one time and the ASC replaced the relay fuse which had gone kaput, free of cost.

2. Rat bite issue with engine harness wiring, TWICE. Once in Kerala during second year of ownership, which the in house insurance took care, got it back within a week. The second time in Chennai, just before the floods last year, in house insurance kicked in again, but this time I got the vehicle back in 45 days (due to the engine harness wiring being in backorder status). It's a long story of me running pillar to post, involving the Renault India CEO in the email, which I'll elaborate maybe some other time. But the insurance saved me a total of 72000 INR, I only had to pay total 5000 INR out of my pocket for both instances. I have the engine protection cover in my insurance BTW. After the second instance, I got the underbody gauge mesh wiring installed to prevent any future Rat incursions (9000 INR spent)

3. OEM Battery dead (this was immediately after the second instance of rat bite, vehicle lying in ASC for 45 days might have played a part, but by then it was already 32000 Kms run, had to spend 6K (with exchange of old battery) for a 60 DIN Amaron battery, the original VARTA battery was no where to be found.

4. Scratches and little dents, so these maybe due to the cleaning guys over the years, plus also due to the lovely colour of my beast (Mahogany Brown, which is a blessing and a bane at the same time)

5. Expensive in-house insurance cost, I opted out of it during the beginning of 4th year ownership, and it saved me 50% cost of renewal (INR 36000 in house vs INR 18000 outside)

6. Steering vibrations while traveling at 100+ Kmph, this was after the 4th service of 30000 Kms at the ASC that I noticed while driving back to Chennai from Kerala. While doing the wheel rotation during service the front left wheel rim just won't come off from the centre hub, despite the bestest of kicks from the engineers at ASC, then I had to intervene and show them the party trick of how to get it off. I'm afraid whether those kicks had done some sort of damage. After the service I got the tyre balancing done from outside but the issue still persists. I'm in a fix as to how to get it resolved. Any pointers would be helpful.

If you've read it all and have come this far, I appreciate you spending time reading this. Apart from that 45 days stint at the ASC and the yet unresolved steering vibration issue, my ownership has been nothing short of wonderful. Especially considering the horror stories that I've read of owners of some of the newer vehicles that have arrived, I consider these issues pretty trivial.

I hope the next 34000 Kms are as eventless and "boring" as the previous 34000 have been.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks