Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2024, 11:23   #5131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Sadly, your impression is wrong. There are no plans or intimation of a 3 door Facelift.

The current Thar is doing solid in numbers and Mahindra has no reason whatsoever to bring a Facelift for the 3 door model (Though they should).
According to information I’ve received from two dealerships in Kerala, the current 3-door variant of the Thar will get newer interiors, the same of the upcoming 5-door model. I think it makes sense, being parts-sharing.

Additionally, the inclusion of a remote fuel lid opener is highly likely, as it is a much-requested feature. According to dealer feedback, female drivers have consistently complaining about this. Mahindra is actively targeting female drivers and has in fact been pleasantly surprised by the growing number of women choosing the Thar; a trend that was previously unprecedented in India, where the Jeep and the RE have long been associated with a certain machismo culture.

Of course, disclaimers apply, and I too doubt about whether these changes would qualify as a true facelift. That said, there's even a talk about a possible future variant that might offer ALL the bells and whistles of the 5-door model.

Ref. sales numbers, Mahindra almost always refresh or even facelift those models that have decent sales, and actually not very keen to improve dud ones. That's why we have 3 generations of the solid-selling XUV500 are on the street and the 700 has already been refreshed. In contrast they never seriously attempted any improvements in KUV etc. at all.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:23   #5132
BHPian

Guys,
Have a couple of queries -
1. My TPMS reading are 3psi more than the reading on the tyre shop digital machine. Is this ok?
2. I have a Jan 24 petrol AT RWD. The rear end is pretty bouncy over speed breakers even at 30 psi pressures & stock mrf wrangler tyres. Prior to this took test drives several times on various 2023 4x4 AT diesel Thars which were fine. I used to have a Scorpio before this so I’m ok with the body roll, etc but I feel the rear shocks on my petrol Thar are a mite too hard. So would it make sense to go for adjustable shockers for ONLY the rear. Also the petrol Thar RWD being more lighter than the Diesel 4x4 inherently make it more skittish?
3. Would fitting a 2 or 2.5 lift kit aggrevate the bounce?
Old 24th April 2024, 06:41   #5133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Guys,
Have a couple of queries -
1. My TPMS reading are 3psi more than the reading on the tyre shop digital machine. Is this ok?
2. I have a Jan 24 petrol AT RWD. The rear end is pretty bouncy over speed breakers even at 30 psi pressures & stock mrf wrangler tyres. Prior to this took test drives several times on various 2023 4x4 AT diesel Thars which were fine. I used to have a Scorpio before this so I’m ok with the body roll, etc but I feel the rear shocks on my petrol Thar are a mite too hard. So would it make sense to go for adjustable shockers for ONLY the rear. Also the petrol Thar RWD being more lighter than the Diesel 4x4 inherently make it more skittish?
3. Would fitting a 2 or 2.5 lift kit aggrevate the bounce?
1. The TPMS calibration is fairly accurate ±1 PSI. Check with a reputed tyre dealer too
2. The rear end of both petrol and diesel do not have much of a difference - what's not there vs. 4x4 is mostly front biased. See if you can trial AVO or any other suspension for the rear to make out the difference
3. Definitely
Old 24th April 2024, 23:22   #5134
BHPian

I recently observed that air from the AC vents make the steering very rough and dry. When AC is off, there's no effect but once it is turned on it becomes uncomfortable to hold the steering as it becomes too rough and dry. I am trying to hold it from bottom instead.

Has anyone else felt the same while driving with AC on? My steering is stock and doesnt have any wraps. Have even got the AC filter changed during service but havent felt any change in this situation.
Old 26th April 2024, 16:08   #5135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIR_FAISAL View Post
Shockingly I have found biggest QC failure in the new Thar and Mahindra needs to recall these vehicles.

30 days ago I bought the new Thar 4wd (Everest White). After few days i noticed a hairline crack in the paint over two joints. (check the pictures with 4x4 badging). Most of my friends suggested that i should escalate the matter as this could happen only if the vehicle is repainted. I raised the issue with Mahindra over X. The matter got highlighted and the concerned dealer called me over for a check. I was shocked to know that almost all the vehicles with Everest white colour had the same issue.

Attachment 2582950

Attachment 2582951

Attachment 2582952

Attachment 2582953
Same paint crack line on both side of my Everest White Thar. Noticed it today after reading your post. My Thar is 11 months old now
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20240426_145409946_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by dr_TJ : 26th April 2024 at 16:25.
Old 26th April 2024, 20:15   #5136
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I've been looking for highway terrain tyres for my Thar for over a year now (mostly internet research). My usage is 80% on decent tarmac, 18% on relatively broken roads, and 2% on no roads (jungle and farm trails, lakeside pathway).

Story so far: My stock tyres
The MRF Wanderers I received as stock have been ok. Got a puncture in Bangalore, got it repaired at Puncture Man, and was sorted. But, on the first day on my way to Kolkata over three days, the puncture resurfaced on the Tirupati Bypass. Replaced the wheel by myself with my spare, and proceeded through the trip on 4 functional tyres and anxiety (time was of the essence). At Kolkata, again got the same puncture repaired at Puncture Man, and have kept the tyre as a spare so far.

What does this have to do with my decision to opt for HT Tyres?
I consulted with several experienced tyre repairers, tyre shop owners, and technicians from tyre mfg companies. All of them agreed that due to the more irregular tread patterns of the AT tyres, the frictional heat produced during prolonged on-road use is about 30-35% more. This often makes puncture repairs go kaput, and fast. Plus, HT Tyres have certain advantages for my use-case, as you'll read below.

HT Tyres good enough?
Again, according to the folks I spoke to, absolutely! Better on-road manners, enough traction to get you through most nominal rough-roads, and improved NVH are all points in the favour of the HT.
Now, considering my usage pattern mentioned above, HT tyres seem like the right way to go.

Which HT Tyres?
The million dollar question! My over-a-year-long research has been in vain. Saw a video online that showed the Thar with the JK Ranger HT Tyres [, but on scouring the internet and asking dealers, turns out JK Tyres has stopped manufacturing R18 tyres altogether (anything beyond 215 is unavailable).

Got a hold of Apollo Vredestein-Pinza HT with a slight upsize (265/65R18), but these seem more like performance oriented tyres, than for slightly rougher use on proper SUVs. Also, their price is slightly steep (yep, therefore Contis and Yokos and Michels would seem pricey to me too, provided the desired size is available).

Haven't found any AT tyres with significant road bias in this size either.

Plus, the Thar's stock tyre size (and even slight upsizes) seems a little odd for HT products, with very few players manufacturing it at all.

Call for help!
Folks, I request inputs from you to help me navigate this conundrum. Would be greatly obliged!

Thanks in advance, and happy motoring!

TTT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks