Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 08:53   #5101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
... I am reluctant to install aftermarket spacers and mess with the suspension geometry, but if there's no other solution to this (am really hoping someone here suggests me one) and I am forced to go the spacers route, what's the best product out there?
Spacers should perfectly solve your problem and infact better your rides handling. You can also try off-set rims. That will give you even better looks.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:02   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Spacers should perfectly solve your problem and infact better your rides handling. You can also try off-set rims. That will give you even better looks.
If they are really well made (forged) and designed (hub centric) I wouldn't have as much of an issue with spacers, but the quality of these aftermarket things is iffy in India (or at least to me it is). They also need to be installed properly and torqued precisely to ensure safe running. And we have all seen that no one here uses torque wrenches, not even M&M's own dealerships/service centers. Hence I was seeking recommendations on the best spacers out there (if that was the only route left to take).

But before we go there, is there something like a steering limiter adjustment on the Thar's steering system? If such an adjustment is available, like it is on Jeeps, then this can be addressed fairly easily at the cost of increasing the turning radius of the vehicle. Is anyone aware of such a thing on the Thar?
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:58   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post

But before we go there, is there something like a steering limiter adjustment on the Thar's steering system? If such an adjustment is available, like it is on Jeeps, then this can be addressed fairly easily at the cost of increasing the turning radius of the vehicle. Is anyone aware of such a thing on the Thar?
Please check if the wheel alignment is correct - physically look at the clearance between the tyre and the lower arm and see if both sides are equal at full lock.

In my Thar (first batch, Oct '20 manufactured) the clearance is about an inch and a half with stock size of the alignment is correct - which should be just about enough for a 20mm increase is tyre width, 10mm in each side.

If the offset is different from stock, then of course all this goes for a toss!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 10:18   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Please check if the wheel alignment is correct - physically look at the clearance between the tyre and the lower arm and see if both sides are equal at full lock.

In my Thar (first batch, Oct '20 manufactured) the clearance is about an inch and a half with stock size of the alignment is correct - which should be just about enough for a 20mm increase is tyre width, 10mm in each side.

If the offset is different from stock, then of course all this goes for a toss!
Alignment was done to spec and this rubbing was noticed right after. It seems equal on both sides. The difference between stock 255's and the 285's is obviously 30mm, so 15mm on each side... which is about 0.6 inches. So, maybe the rubber isn't pushing the rod too much, but it's pushing nevertheless. See if you can spot it in the attached picture.

I was told by someone knowledgeable to re-do alignment and increase the Caster to max allowable. But the wheel alignment dude (who, I doubt even knows what the caster angle is) was adamant that he won't do that.

So now am looking into whether the Thar has a steering limiter adjustment on it like the Jeeps do... that will fix the issue pretty easily, albeit at the cost of increasing the turning radius of the vehicle. But am not able to figure out whether the Thar offers such an adjustment in the first place. The local dealership folks are useless.

IIRC you have really good relations with your M&M service folk, would it be too much to request you to check with your guys for me please? I kinda feel bad asking for favors like this but am at the end of my rope here

Edit: The other option is to replace those rods with new ones from current model, but would that fit?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-285s-rubbing.jpeg  

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 28th March 2024 at 10:40. Reason: Added an edit.
Old 28th March 2024, 11:21   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Have done standard puncture tests at a couple of tyre shops but no luck yet to find from where the pressure is getting lost. They checked by spraying soap water all over the tyre, the rim edges and the neck. But no luck.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?
Have you ever driven through slush post which this issue surfaced? Mud and debris can get lodged in the tyre beads that leads to pressure loss over a longer period of time, more so if it's driven in deep slush at a lower PSI with 4*4 engaged. If the puncture tests have not shown any visible leakages, it's worth the effort to remove the tyres and get the beads and rim thoroughly cleaned and see if the issue gets resolved.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 17:03   #5106
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
My next choice was Black and again I noticed a change here, Napoli Black was silently changed to Stealth Black.
Gave a request for the change and on the same day my preferred color changed in the Booking Docket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
So what was your color changed to? Napoli Black? If it's the case then make sure it's a 2024 Model because my dealer informed me that Mahindra has stopped Napoli Black in 2024 and only stealth black is coming.
Awaiting your update.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th March 2024 at 18:14. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Old 29th March 2024, 19:48   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Awaiting your update.
It was changed to Stealth Black only. I was also very specific while giving the request for colour change.

In M&Ms website under 'My Bookings' my opted colour is Stealth Black now!

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th March 2024 at 18:15. Reason: Fixing quote tag. Para spacing.
Old 30th March 2024, 10:22   #5108

Hello Everyone!

Booked a Thar LX AT Petrol RWD S.Black 10 days back at NBS dealership Mumbai. is going to be my 3rd Mahindra purchase in last 15 years

Need a little guidance from senior members here on the accessories. I have prepared the below list to be fitted by auth dealer only. Anything that doesn't make sense or is a better purchase from outside? Am I missing a crucial one?

Rain Visor with Chrome Insert
Side Body Cladding
Bug Deflector (Painted Piano Black)

Black - Red - Perforated Camoflaged - Seat Cover Set (4S)
7D Floor Mat Set {this or Printed THAR?}
Printed THAR (Grey) Carpet Mat Set 4S
Front Row Armrest Kit - Thar

HD Rear View Camera Kit
Front Parking Sensor Kit
SS Door Sill Protector
Front & Rear Mud Flap Set - Thar LX
2nd Row Sun Shade Set - Thar
Steering Wheel Cover (Vinyl)

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpg
ashishfmcg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 17:48   #5109
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
It was changed to Stealth Black only. I was also very specific while giving the request for colour change.
In M&Ms website under 'My Bookings' my opted colour is Stealth Black now!
Sorry, but I'm still confused. How did YOU get it changed if it's still stealth black?

And finally, which color are you getting?
Old 1st April 2024, 12:14   #5110
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your booking and wishing you many happy miles with your Thar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishfmcg View Post
Anything that doesn't make sense or is a better purchase from outside? Am I missing a crucial one?

Rain Visor with Chrome Insert
Side Body Cladding
Bug Deflector (Painted Piano Black)
Rain Visor and Body Cladding can be had from outside too. The Bug deflector may trap rain water causing rusting issues later on so consider that before investing in one.

Quote:
Black - Red - Perforated Camoflaged - Seat Cover Set (4S)
7D Floor Mat Set {this or Printed THAR?}
Printed THAR (Grey) Carpet Mat Set 4S
Front Row Armrest Kit - Thar
All these can be had outside for better quality and price. Specially the front row arm rest which is fitted in the cup holders and is the only part in my 12500kms run Thar that makes a rattle and racket on bad roads.
You may want to check out the rear armrest though from the dealer. That is very nicely made and my 12 year old loves the rear seat ambience. It comes with integrated cup holders and also some storage underneath for both the sides.

Quote:
HD Rear View Camera Kit
Front Parking Sensor Kit
SS Door Sill Protector
Front & Rear Mud Flap Set - Thar LX
2nd Row Sun Shade Set - Thar
Steering Wheel Cover (Vinyl)
These are all good to have from the dealer. Just be wary about the front parking sensor as I have heard that it is too loud for comfort and most times it is left turned off by folks who have got it. No first hand experience. Same was told by my SA too at the time of buying. Also the steering wheel cover is better had from outside where you will get pure leather options which will enhance the feel of driving the vehicle.
Old 1st April 2024, 14:44   #5111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Been having an issue over 6 months now with one of the tyres losing pressure very slowly. I set all tyres to 34psi and the front left starts losing pressure 1-2 psi every week. The tpms starts warning that the tyre is at 28psi while the rest are at 31-32 psi. Have done standard puncture tests at a couple of tyre shops but no luck yet to find from where the pressure is getting lost. They checked by spraying soap water all over the tyre, the rim edges and the neck. But no luck.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?

Happened to me once, and drove me crazy! (Although it was another car, but principles are the same)

Took it to my FNG, and the 60 year old expert found the issue. What turned out to be the culprit was the Tyre Valve.

Worth checking tyre valves too!
Old 1st April 2024, 15:00   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-G13B View Post
Took it to my FNG, and the 60 year old expert found the issue.
I did the same over the weekend. Got the tyre checked by a veteran who very patiently checked inch by inch of tyre. And he finally found a very small nail without the nail head, lodged in between the treads. Fixed it and will know if the pressure holds over the next couple of days.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd April 2024 at 04:22.
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 17:34   #5113
BHPian

Hi team, can anyone please recommend me a good Tyre alignment/balancing store for Thar in Hyderabad preferably in the IT area? I tried my Thar’s alignment at few places but they are never able to fix steering which even after correct alignment is always resting towards left!

Mahindra A.S.S say that they have a special tool for correcting Thar’s steering angle which outside store lacks and they insist on getting alignment from them. The catch with service centre is that they take full day for the alignment works and are priced atleast double of outside shops.
AMG1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 11:18   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Booked a Thar LX AT Petrol RWD S.Black 10 days back at NBS dealership Mumbai. is going to be my 3rd Mahindra purchase in last 15 years

Need a little guidance from senior members here on the accessories. I have prepared the below list to be fitted by auth dealer only. Anything that doesn't make sense or is a better purchase from outside? Am I missing a crucial one?
Congratulations and welcome to Thar Club.

In my opinion Rear armrest is a must have (rear camera and rain visor are two other essentials) if one ever wants to have people sitting there.

I got the one from dealer and kids are very much comfortable sitting there for 8-10 hrs journey.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th April 2024 at 12:45. Reason: Typos
sandeeprawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 00:04   #5115
BHPian

Hey all,
It has been an eternal wait for me as I hope for Mahindra to bring in an option of White with Convertible Top option. However, after contacting Mahindra over mail and social media, I am less hopeful of getting any meaningful reply from them. It has been very frustrating as they didn’t call back even though they confirmed that they will have an answer by the next day.
Anyway, I have decided not to wait for their reply and with Mahindra reducing color option for CT from four to three, I don’t think they will introduce CT in White color (though it will look smashing in that combo).
Now, after all the futile wait, I am thinking of getting White D AT in Hard Top and then get the Hard Top replaced with Convertible Top. I contacted Bimbra 4X4 Mumbai branch and they say they have original Convertible Top from Mahindra available. My query: has anyone swapped their Thar’s Hard Top with a Convertible? How was the fit finish? Is it recommended to get this done or should I go for a factory fitted CT in a different color.
Thanks.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks