Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:14   #3601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite . !
Congrats, GTO.

Anand Mahindra, did you read this ? This one post by GTO will do more than a few ad's Mahindra puts out, and there will be a 5% jump in sales
condor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:30   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Super congratulations GTO. You truly did wait it out and the Thar continued to tug your heart like no other did for so many months.

Can’t wait to see the Red Rage convertible in your hands and the ensuing review. That’ll be one hell of a read.

And I agree with condor, this is a major boost for the Thar, courtesy, GTO.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 18:32   #3603

I took delivery of a Napoli Black Thar LX P MT HT yesterday at Gurgaon. I have a few concerns: 1. I would like to buy Wheel locking nuts for all the five wheels( last year my Kia Sonet’s two wheels were stolen within 15 days of purchase and I was stuck for about a 2 weeks due to non-availability); 2. Paint protection in the form of ? Ceramic coating; 3. Underbody protection against rust; and 4. Metallic shield for engine protection. Your thoughts are solicited. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
On the topic of wheel and tyres, I’m about to change my setup to 16inch alloys and 275/70 R16 Maxxis AT 980 tyres. They are already home just waiting for me to be back so that they can be installed. I have also placed an order for a set of wheel locks, don’t want nasty surprises in the parking lots. I will soon post pictures post installation.
I took delivery of Thar LX P MT yesterday and an looking for a set of wheel locking nuts. Please let me know from where you are sourcing the same?

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th October 2022 at 00:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Auto70 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 20:17   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto70 View Post
I took delivery of Thar LX P MT yesterday and an looking for a set of wheel locking nuts. Please let me know from where you are sourcing the same?
I ordered from Farad via amazon.

I will share the links below

Option 1 -
https://www.amazon.in/Farad-Wheel-Ma...ahindra%3AThar

Option 2-
https://www.amazon.in/Galaxy-Fastene...ahindra%3AThar

I had contacted Farad from their website and even they directed me to amazon to place an order. The price is the same at both websites.
Mr.U is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:49   #3605
BHPian

Having spent more than a year with the Thar, time to write a brief ownership review of my Thar Petrol LX Manual.
  • Time Since Purchase: 14 months
  • Odometer Reading: 9100 kms
  • Service Completed: 1st (1K) and 2nd free service (10K)
  • Niggles faced: Only one (quite surprising for the Thar)
  • Overall Happiness Score: 5/5

The garage didn't quite have the space and the wallet didn't have the money for the Thar but I ended up booking one last year in June one mid-night drooling over the reviews and videos since launch. Owning a 4x4 and doing proper off-road in the hills, forests and deserts had always been on the mind. When I woke up the next day, realized that I should cancel it but heck, the waiting period was almost 9-10 months and I let it be.

Here comes the twist. Come August, I get a call from my dealer one fine morning that my vehicle has arrived and I have time till evening to confirm. Else the car will be allotted to someone else. I had not even taken the test drive of this vehicle or even evaluated other options. That said, there wasn't any competition for my requirements - it had to be a 4x4 and a petrol (given the 15/10 year NGT rule) and under 20L. No other vehicle met this criteria. After an intense battle between the mind and heart, the heart ultimately won and I decided to become poorer by 15L and younger by 5-10 years to enjoy my youth (case in point: future trips)

And since then I haven't doubted my decision ever. It's been an amazing ownership experience with just one niggle faced. I was getting a "khat-khat" sound from the boot and turned out that the bolts were a bit loose. Rest, the car has been flawless to drive and hasn't disappointed ever.

I have also spent around 40K accessorizing the Thar:
  • 7 Slot Grille
  • Wrangler Headlamps
  • OEM Side Step
  • 7D Car Mats
  • Front Arm Rest
  • 70mai Car Dash Cam

On the driving experience and performance, I would quote my trip to Zanskar-Leh-Ladakh this year in May. Drove for 3200 kms in 10 days over terrains and roads which don't even exist on Google Maps. And the Thar just made it a cake-walk. The m-Stallion engine is super punchy and eager to keep going even at very high altitudes. Only thing which could have been a bit better was the ride, yes the Thar is bumpy compared to an Innova but 18 inch wheels, good Ground Clearance and indestructible suspension comes at a cost. Would also like to praise the CEAT AT tires, they haven't left me disappointed even once. Zero puncture till date even after driving through Zanskar where there are no roads. Will now let some Videos do the talking instead of pictures

Short Video on overall trip

Driving through Zanskar

Last point before I end this post, mileage. I have been 8.5-10 kmpl in the city (except for one-tankful which was utilized for a marriage procession with continuous idle) and 10-11 kmpl on the highway. On the Zanskar-Leh-Ladakh circuit, the overall mileage was at 10.2 kmpl even after a good use of 4L on Zanskar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221023-11.37.58-am.jpeg
sid_deb is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 13:20   #3606
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20221023-131634.png

I've been driving a Diesel HT since the beginning of 2021 with the odometer currently at 28k. The best fuel efficiency with sedate driving under 90kmph on highways gives me 12km/L. Bangalore traffic gives me a little above 7km/L. I'm using the full tank to tank method. Data recorded on the Drivvo app.

Looking at figures posted by others, I'm a little worried that mine is on the low end for a Diesel. Can someone confirm?
strawmUnkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 17:03   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
The best fuel efficiency with sedate driving under 90kmph on highways gives me 12km/L.
Mine is a Diesel AT Convertible. According to the on board computer I have got almost 16KM/L on the highway with cruise control. Taking into consideration that these computers are not very accurate and we just deduct 1-1.5km/l from that figure,its still good for my Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-113c19a6a40f40178078aa12a146fc6f.jpeg  

Mr.U is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 17:59   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
Looking at figures posted by others, I'm a little worried that mine is on the low end for a Diesel. Can someone confirm?
Your figures do seem low. Mine is a D HT AT with 20k on the odo, I easily get 15kmpl on highway with cruise control on an 90kmph, my daily commute is in the city (slow moving but not b2b traffic) and I get 12 kmpl most of the time. Also, the AC is always on for me.
Turbolove is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 00:19   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Your figures do seem low. Mine is a D HT AT with 20k on the odo, I easily get 15kmpl on highway with cruise control on an 90kmph, my daily commute is in the city (slow moving but not b2b traffic) and I get 12 kmpl most of the time. Also, the AC is always on for me.
You're probably relying on the MID for this info. Mine is almost 7k on the odo and on highway it's 15kmpl. Max would be 16, that too if the stretch has less traffic, this is according to MID. Reduce around 1.5-2 and that is what tank to tank is. On the same stretch I used to get around 23-24 kmpl in 1.6 CRDI.

Also, the fuel level indicator is inaccurate many times, even in plains when tank is levelled.
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 04:45   #3610
BHPian

For a Diesel + Manual, I would say you are getting less. The figures you have quoted are equivalent to those seen by Petrol Automatic. My Thar is 15000 Kms done in the past 8 months and in city I get somewhere between 7 kmpl to 9 kmpl.

Highways I get somewhere around 12 kmpl to 14 kmpl, depending on the speed it is driven at. I prefer to keep it between 77 to 85. Its a Petrol Manual HT. The Fuel I use is - Shell Normal/XP95 from Indian Oil.
Also, the numbers I have shared are usually tank to tank.

Last edited by swunkjyn : 24th October 2022 at 04:46.
swunkjyn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 10:56   #3611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
You're probably relying on the MID for this info…..

Also, the fuel level indicator is inaccurate many times, even in plains when tank is levelled.
The numbers I have are through the tankful method. The MID is usually off by 1.5 kmpl. I must mention that I am sedate driver and don’t get much stop start traffic though. My highway numbers are for the Hyderabad Bombay route which has a mix of everything.

You’re right on the fuel gauge part. It’s usually off by 1 bar and keeps fluctuating if you drive a lot over incline terrains, which Hyderabad has plenty of.
Turbolove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 11:15   #3612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
For a Diesel + Manual, I would say you are getting less. The figures you have quoted are equivalent to those seen by Petrol Automatic.
I have a Diesel Automatic.

While I've no issues with the 7 - 12 km/L mileage, I'm concerned that this could be a mechanical issue. Should I get it checked? If yes, what could be the culprit?

Last edited by strawmUnkey : 24th October 2022 at 11:36.
Old 24th October 2022, 13:19   #3613
BHPian

Hello GTO. First of all, Happy Diwali and many congratulations on booking the Thar!!! I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy every time get behind the wheel of the beast.

Coming to the tyre upsize part, I'd suggest you get inputs from BHPian .anshuman once. He recently posted a detailed review video for the Scorpio N on his YouTube channel and has covered various aspects including tyre upsize on the 4x4 model. He has mentioned about tyre upgrade for the Thar as well so that can be of some help.
yatesh.92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 13:41   #3614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can't wait for a Thar Convertible to come home.

- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 300 km a month, usage merely once a week, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs
Petrol is definitely the way to go if its a convertible, the diesel smoke makes its way into the cabin once the top is down (depending on the direction of the wind, vehicle speed etc) and that is not a good experience for most people. Unlike old Jeeps one cannot open the windshield to counteract this problem in Thar CRDe or 2.O.

A friend of mine has converted his CJ back to Hurricane recently, I cant wait to drive it once its completed. Enjoy your topless beauty, I`m sure its not long before I can no longer resist the temptation and get one myself - one life, lets live it.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 14:30   #3615
BHPian

Hard luck Mahindra, you lost to the Gurkha. I have opted to go with Force Motors. For me ultimate comfort matters for the toddlers and old of my family. I'll be using the Gurkha primarily for long long vacation drives to hills/himalayas and safari inside national parks. Top speed does not matters to me but cold start does.
The plastic roof and suspension of Thar gave way for the Gurkha.
Somehow I could not feels confident with the thar.
And the last part, Gurkha is readily available at the force motors outlet nearest to me.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks