Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2022, 12:12   #3571
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

I was in the same dilemma myself, and have decided to forego it. Having owned multiple Mahindras in the past, I know spares are not very expensive and major mechanical components rarely fail in these jeeps. But, your call.

Least I could do to help a fellow-BHPian and a fellow-jeep-enthusiast.
Ended up buying the 5th year warranty too. The cost seems to be increasing every month almost. Further on the day I made the payment, their system was not working and the person entered in the details the next day into the system and sent me a screenshot and she had entered the odo reading ( = shield purchased at Kms ) as 10000 when the car has done only about 3000. Upon questioning, she just said that it wouldn't matter and that they normally just enter the next upcoming service milestone ( 10000 kms in my case ).

a. Should I be concerned as the certificate will show the kms shield was purchased at incorrectly ? Could it cause a problem later?

b. Why do they do this, I mean what would it have taken to put in the correct number ? I'm honestly fed up of chasing on everyone's inefficiency, incompetence, lack of attention and whims and fancies. Every day too much energy is spent ensuring someone else does their job correctly and that I'm not affected by their mistakes.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:18   #3572
BHPian

Did the Thar go up in price again? The top of the line Diesel Auto HT variant is now showing 16.3L on the M&M site. Do they jack these prices up every other month? I don't exactly recall how much I booked mine for at launch but it was around 13-something-L ex showroom (booked at launch and delivered Feb '21). That's like a 20% price increase in less two years, am I missing something or is that about right?
Old 13th October 2022, 12:51   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Did the Thar go up in price again? The top of the line Diesel Auto HT variant is now showing 16.3L on the M&M site. Do they jack these prices up every other month? I don't exactly recall how much I booked mine for at launch but it was around 13-something-L ex showroom (booked at launch and delivered Feb '21). That's like a 20% price increase in less two years, am I missing something or is that about right?
You're not missing anything. I got in March 2022. In 6 months they've increased prices by 75k (ex-showroom) only. I'm not even adding other charges like Registration, Insurance, extended warranty etc. Registration is ad valorem and so is Insurance.

This is after deleting features like Lumbar Support. Not to mention all other niggles like DPF Clogging still exist.

They jack prices according to demand. When the waiting period was about 1 year people were ready to pay extra to dealers for earlier delivery. So, Mahindra just encashed that in a legal way.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 15:00   #3574

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainmaster View Post
Have bought my THAR (LX HT AT D Mystic copper) on 3rd of June 2022 from Sireesh Auto Bangalore after 10 months of waiting period.
UPDATE: Rear humming noise.
Differential unit was replaced under warranty, during my short drive back home did not get that noise.
Planning to do a drive at varying speeds this weekend to check if the issue is solved.
Mr. Anil, service manager at Sireesh Auto, Singasandra was very helpful in fixing this issue.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2022 at 15:09. Reason: Quote content trimmed
TheRainmaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 19:58   #3575

Has anyone installed Version 2 of ARC suspension for THAR? this is recently launched by ARC.
They claim sedan like comfort. It costs 15k more than the old version.
Attached Images

Old 19th October 2022, 09:41   #3576
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just like my 1997 Mahindra Classic, I decided to buy the 2020 Thar without a test-drive. Within the first km of driving it last weekend, I knew this is the Jeep for me. Buying it in 2021-22 so that the beta testers (aka early customers) can clear up all the bugs. I caught 1 bug in 2 days with the car = the alarm system once sounded off after I started the engine. The next day, it started after I switched off the car! If you are buying the Thar now, invest in that extended warranty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
If you absolutely don't need a car right now, we'd further recommend waiting for the 2021-22 Thar. Almost every fresh Mahindra / Tata launch comes with a list of bugs. GTO has also decided to buy the Thar, and is waiting for v2. Generally, with Mahinda & Tata, you have to give them time to sort out teething issues with brand-new cars. The more you wait, the better the product gets.
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite .

Can't wait for a Thar Convertible to come home.

- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 300 km a month, usage merely once a week, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs.

Main reason I am wary of the Diesel AT is that complex exhaust system. Because of my low running & short distance commutes (think 5 km to Bandra or Worli), I don't want to end up with choked DPFs & errors. Any thoughts? Would love a Diesel AT Thar with a tuning box / remap, but it's just the BS6 systems that are putting me off. Another small influencer is that I am very sure of Mumbai following Delhi in the 10-year diesel ban (although I'll probably upgrade to the 3rd-gen Thar anyway after 10 years).

- Really, really want fat tyres. It's a non-negotiable for the stance (check out the rims on my current rides too). Minimum of 285 mm, open to 305 (a friend has one with 305/60/R16 & I adore his Jeep's stance). Okay with 18" rims, very open to 16" wheels with tall sidewalls too. What are the suggested tyre sizes for 285 mm and up? Good sources for wheels?

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2022 at 09:58.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 10:25   #3577
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite .

am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 200 km a month, usage merely once a week tops, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs.

Main reason I am wary of the Diesel AT is that complex exhaust system. Because of my low running & short distance commutes (think 5 km to Bandra or Worli), I am very sure of Mumbai following Delhi in the 10-year diesel ban.

- Really, really want fat tyres. It's a non-negotiable for the stance (check out the rims on my current rides too). Minimum of 285 mm, open to 305 (a friend has one with 305/60/R16 & I adore his Jeep's stance). Okay with 18" rims, very open to 16" wheels with tall sidewalls too. What are the suggested tyre sizes for 285 mm and up? Good sources for wheels?

Thanks!
Good that you are hopping on to the Thar bandwagon. Welcome Aboard!

What colour are you getting? In the present dispensation the best colours are Galaxy Grey, followed by Rocky Beige followed by Black.

It is a great vehicle. Speaking as an owner of a Thar and a Gypsy, I feel sure that it will complement your garage and enhance your lifestyle even more than the Classic does.

You will enjoy it for sure.

Im submitting some thoughts towards your points above.

1.Yes to Petrol AT. For the exact reasons you have already outlined. Very low running. Short in City Commute. DPF headaches. Diesel Ban.
2.Yes to the Convertible. Because it is intended for weekend or night use only. And its a Jeepy thing after all. (Dont leave costly stuff inside it unless youre parking in a secure place)
3.Yes to the Tyre Upsize. It improves stance and makes it more purposeful and adds to performance.
4.No to 305’s. On 18 inch rims they will be too large and may compromise articulation and steering/ suspension geometry as well as Fuel efficiency. The negatives of such an oversize will outweigh the positives in my book. (16 inch rims are a good idea if youre going off roading etc)
5.Yes to 285/60/18 - Maxxis 980 AT. Because this is more a SoBo Tractor if I may use the expression a la Chelsea Tractor and Land rover. These are significantly better priced, look great, will fill the wheel wells nicely and give you what you are seeking in terms of stance and looks and all, plus the advantages of performance without the pain.
6.No to changing the stock alloys. Merely paint them matt black and you’ll again get what you are seeking plus you’ll save cash.

Here are some additional suggestions based upon what I have done on my Thar.

7.Consider the AVO Suspension. It honestly makes a massive difference in comfort, handling, braking and dynamics.
8.Consider the Aluminium Underbody protection and rear differential guard and the steel side steps. These will help you. Especially in the Mumbai rains to save the Jeep from hidden obstacles. (You will use the Jeep absolutely fearlessly with these)
9.Consider a headlamp upgrade to stock replacements but much brighter lamps - like Philips Xtreme Vision G Force 55W or Osram Night breaker 55W. No wiring cutting etc.
10.Consider two nice Bumper mounted Hella 700FF’s (suitably covered of course until you need them.
11.Consider the JL Jeep Wrangler look-alike grille looks very nice but in matte black and not in the body colour unless of course the body colour IS Black! Even more so because all the new Thars come with plain black bumpers unlike the older ones.
12.Get a good quality Centre Armrest for the front and two for the rear.
13.Consider the waterproof Armoro Canvas Seat covers. They are very strong and of good quality.
14.A few additional things from Armoro like the grab handle storage bag and roll bar mounted Canvas storage tubes at the rear. They help a lot with organised storage for small odds and ends.
15.A nice big Umbrella or two.
16.Couple of Decathlon canvas Camp stools/ chairs, small table and a hiking pole.
17.Rear tail gate Tray table from Mahindra (to place food and water on a picnic.) (can be fixed at Mahindra service/ accessories)
18.Pair of white footwell lamps to illuminate when getting in and out in the dark (can be fixed at Mahindra service/ accessories)
19.Boot storage organizer with basic toolkit and a dynamo or rechargeable Torch and a Heavy Duty Tyre Inflator.
20.A decent dash cam.
21.Reversing Camera and Front distance Sensors (can easily be fixed at Mahindra Service/ Accessories.
22.Clear UV protecting anti glare film on the front windshield (CR70)
23.Vinyl wrap on the bonnet ridge and some side vinyl decals to prevent infidels and their ‘key’ antics.
24.Suitable lock for the spare or a custom / ready made ‘lifestyle’ spare cover.
25. Complete Rust protection coating underneath the vehicle.
26. Rain visors above the front door windows.

This is fun! To share my ideas and vicariously speccing up your Jeep and spending your money!

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-dd80bac8c77a48ab846db92c709f3f4c.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th October 2022 at 10:37.
shankar.balan is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 10:29   #3578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust.
Completely with you on the petrol. IF for any reason I were to buy a Thar for myself, it would undoubtedly be the petrol automatic.

For a niche lifestyle vehicle with super low running, I just don’t want the DPF headaches and I’d welcome the additional refinement of the petrol. On the off chance one wants to do an adventurous winter drive in the hills up North, the petrol again is to advantage to avoid the DPF issues.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 11:38   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Headlamps: (I did this soon after purchasing the vehicle)
Im using Philips H4 Extreme Vision G Force 55W 12V Halogens. These are a straight swap if the OEM headlamps and can be bought on Amazon for Rs 1700 the pair. The fitment is a simple DIY. The light from these is superb. Halogens are always better than LEDs especially in rain and mist and I speak from long experience. See the throw in the pictures attached. Powerful headlamps are absolutely necessary.
Impressed with your feedback, I ordered the "Philips H4 Extreme Vision G Force 55W 12V Halogens", however what got delivered an hour ago was the H4 XTremevision Pro 150. The product page still says G-Force but the image shown is the Pro 150. I had noticed this before ordering but thought would take a chance.

Now, the question is should I keep the Pro150s? I guess it should be a straight fit just like the G-Force but does anyone have any experience or advise on this matter? The price was the same INR1700 so no difference there.

Should I keep (haven't tried them on yet) or send back and order the G-Force? Its not very pricey so I can keep these and order the G-Force as well but no point keeping if these are a dud or wouldn't even fit. What say you? TIA
Old 19th October 2022, 11:54   #3580
BANNED

Quote:
Should I keep (haven't tried them on yet) or send back and order the G-Force? Its not very pricey so I can keep these and order the G-Force as well but no point keeping if these are a dud or wouldn't even fit. What say you? TIA
If it is an H4 type then it will be a straight fit I believe. It is quite possible that this is some ‘new improved’ product.
As long as it is a straight fit, I dont think there is any harm in using these. Best to pull out the stock headlamps and see if the pin type is the same. If it is, then it is probably a simple clean straight fit.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd October 2022 at 10:57. Reason: Trimming quoted post to remove broken URL
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:15   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.... Best to pull out the stock headlamps and see if the pin type is the same. If it is, then it is probably a simple clean straight fit.
Yes, its an H4. So I just went out and thought I'd try pulling the stock ones out, but it doesn't appear simple as yanking it out from behind. I rolled back the black rubber cup covering the rear of the lamp and seems like I may need to unscrew the two screws holding the spring clips in place - not sure exactly though. So I gave up. Have you done this yourself? Do I need to unscrew anything or am I doing it wrong?
Old 19th October 2022, 12:36   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT
Ah, finally

As much as I love diesels, that mStallion unit on the new Thar is a gem and will leave a big grin on your face every time you drive it. Believe me, when I got behind the wheel of the new Thar for the very first time (test drive), I was of the mindset (like many of us old-time jeepers) that jeep == diesel, period. However, the moment I started driving that lovely petrol jeep, I just could not get myself to think about the mHawk, which in itself is super-refined on the new Thar. Moreover, following points further tilted the decision in favor of the petrol:

a) Low running - as in you case, the Thar for me is primarily a weekend toy for those leisurely wind-in-the-hair (hence a CT) drives as opposed to a mile-muncher. Odometer reads a meagre 5,500 km in close to a year that I have owned it and I know for sure that this will be my ballpark annual running going forward as well. So, fuel expense is a non-issue for me. This is what we got it home for:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpg

b) DPF gremlins - given the low running, this was bound to pop up sooner or later in a diesel.

c) Low-end grunt of the mStallion - if not for this, I'd have probably gone for the diesel because after all, what is a jeep without that good low-end torque. But this petrol unit has oodles of that.

Go for the petrol AT CT - you will enjoy every minute behind the wheel.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:20   #3583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks!
Go with Petrol AT and hard top.

I know you like open top trips, but how many will you do in a year?

This vehicle is capable of doing longer trips and you will definitely be tempted to do that for a nice Offroad spot away from the town with your lady. That is when you will really curse the decision for soft top, plus it is a fast vehicle.. if something happens (god forbid), that hard top is well worth the small compromise on the desire front. Plus lockable cabin and do you really want to expose the expensive electronics and interiors of new Thar to elements, even by chance?

Think about it.

As far as tyres, just get stock size or just one size up BF Goodrich. They are excellent for off-roading but heavy as it gets. But if you are planning to make it just a city buggy, don't even bother with a change. The stock tyres that came are good enough and the alloys are good looking.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:52   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust.
Petrol AT all the Way!! Its my daily drive. Love it to bits! Mine is the petrol HT AT.

Fat Tires: 285 in 18 inchers: BFG or Maxxis Bravo 980 would be great.
Fuel Wheels have some great options. Jeep Tires India. There was a guy in Indore 44 wheels. Sadly he passed away. Very good options!
Otherwise Lenso is another option.
6th Mile Customs has some great looking Evo Corse Wheels for that rally driven look!

Get the AVO suspension. You'll love the city rides.

Don't worry about the offroad tires. I don't offroad either. Love the stance. There are some things we do to just ogle at the car turning backwards after parking it.

Get the JK grill. Not the JL. JK is the original grill which was planned by Mahindra as well. I have it on mine with the original Mahindra logo which makes it look perfectly authentic!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd October 2022 at 10:58. Reason: Trimming quoted post
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:57   #3585
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, its an H4. So I just went out and thought I'd try pulling the stock ones out, but it doesn't appear simple as yanking it out from behind. I rolled back the black rubber cup covering the rear of the lamp and seems like I may need to unscrew the two screws holding the spring clips in place - not sure exactly though. So I gave up. Have you done this yourself? Do I need to unscrew anything or am I doing it wrong?
Its easy to DIY but hard to explain step by step. Best go to an auto accessories and lighting shop and get it done.

Quote:

Please buy the plastic grab handle which is already there above the left passenger window and install it on the right side. Also add two more soft grab handles like the ones which are at the rear of the Thar and install them as shown. These are a great help.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b7aac371a9124ecda96c740d05f19a6e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-cb65536c33f640d484246b191342294d.jpeg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th October 2022 at 15:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks