Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 19:37   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Also I am in a dilemma whether to shift my booking to A/T as I am going to take it off-road maybe once in a quarter, rest of the times will be used in the city or short getaways.
A/T makes perfect sense, given the lovely Aisin transmission!
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:18   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Guys having A/T Thar's can you kindly throw some light on how the shift quality is and whether it makes sense to shift the booking? I have not been able to take a tet drive of the Diesel Thar A/T.

Thanks in advance.
AT any day. having done close to 4500kms in 3 months, it is a breeze to drive. AT itself has hardly any space in the footwell. I wonder how tight the space is in the manual.

Shifts are butter smooth. We have a Toyota Innova 2.8 AT as well and Thar is makes lesser noise than the Innova

For people concerned about highway driving, Thar is perfectly capable car. Did the same stretch in Thar, Innova and Scross in a span of 4 months, I can say Thar is not as bad as it is portrayed as.
indian21r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:01   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Difficult to get Made in Holland bulb, try in Kashmiri gate (Delhi), sometimes you get lucky there.
Was there any part number for the 7 inch Lucas TVS Glass reflectors. Have someone going to delhi in a couple of days. Would try to get them sourced.

Also does the normal H4 with the p43t fitment fit into the Lucas TVS glass reflectors? Or does it require the Lucas tvs type bulb as mentioned by Behram sir in the lighting thread( God I miss him now!!!).

Sorry for taking the Thar thread off topic but lights is an important parameter.

I don't want the LED headlights. They are completely useless in rain and fog. If you say otherwise you haven't driven and compared both.
Moreover I want to keep the traditional reflector look in my jeep.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:45   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Also I am in a dilemma whether to shift my booking to A/T as I am going to take it off-road maybe once in a quarter, rest of the times will be used in the city or short getaways.

Guys having A/T Thar's can you kindly throw some light on how the shift quality is and whether it makes sense to shift the booking? I have not been able to take a tet drive of the Diesel Thar A/T.

Thanks in advance.
AT any day. I’ve done 5500 km and is super good. I’ve had mostly highway runs, little bit of city drives and just that extra bit of off-roading and the Aisin AT is a pleasure.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:13   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Thar Diesel Automatic, picked 3 weeks back. I have not logged much kilometers yet but have done a highway drive, daily short city runs and lots of offroading. Apart from this I have driven all 4 engine + combos many times.

At low revs mainly, in city traffic and on highways, Automatic feels peppier than Manual, mainly because of torque converter. Gearshifts are smooth, gearbox logic is well tuned, requires a bit more pedal play than a DSG but still is excellent for a SUV. Gearing in Automatic is taller than manual(~1600rpm @100 vs ~2000 in Manual), this is a boon for highway mile munching.

Manual makes more sense only if you are looking for full control on gear selection either as personal preference or for offroad use. Tiptronic offers full control only in first 2 gears.

Personally I liked the drive experience of Automatic over the Manual but both engines have peppy low end and well tuned anti stall, so even Manual variants are effortless to drive. Apart from long throws on gearbox, I did not find anything wrong at all.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th August 2021 at 10:23.
.anshuman is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:18   #2076

Booking update: As shared earlier, i booked my hardtop, diesel, automatic, black coloured Thar on 30th November last year. All along this waiting period, I was informed that the CDP for my vehicle was 21st to 24th August.
However, today I was informed that the expected delivery is likely by 9th Sept. These last minute extensions are painful and disheartening. Dont know the reason for extension now.
If Mahindra is yet not able to fulfill deliveries for bookings of November last year, I really wonder when they will be able to deliver Thar that is booked today.
Sad state of affairs indeed.
Abhi_Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:29   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Randhawa View Post
Booking update: As shared earlier, i booked my hardtop, diesel, automatic, black coloured Thar on 30th November last year. All along this waiting period, I was informed that the CDP for my vehicle was 21st to 24th August.
However, today I was informed that the expected delivery is likely by 9th Sept. These last minute extensions are painful and disheartening. Dont know the reason for extension now.
If Mahindra is yet not able to fulfill deliveries for bookings of November last year, I really wonder when they will be able to deliver Thar that is booked today.
Sad state of affairs indeed.
I too am on the same boat. I booked in November as well. Just wait it out patiently. The issue is specific to AT variants. Also, the semi-conductor shortage has hit them hard. Having said that, expect more delay. Since July, my SA has been telling me that my car is available and is being billed. But it has not happened till date. Reading your post and few other threads on chip shortage, and with the XUV launching, I dont expect to get my Thar before October. I am following up with them every second day, though.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:44   #2078
BHPian

Is the Horn Chirp while lock/unlock from the Remote Key fob working for anyone?

It was off by default and I tried programming using the owner manual, I haven’t been successful. Only the Chirping on pressing the search/panic button, turns on/off using the method in the manual.

Mahindra disabled the feature, probably in the interest of reducing noise pollution? May be it’s actually a good idea, considering how many vehicles are being bought.
Old 20th August 2021, 09:57   #2079
BHPian

I’m not sure if this is existing on all Thars, but on our THAR (June,2021 model) I noticed the finish on right/bottom side of the infotainment system is a bit textured where as the top/left sides are smoother.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ad1eab3bd66448a8847eec0b969a55be.jpeg  

Old 20th August 2021, 11:18   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A/T makes perfect sense, given the lovely Aisin transmission!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
AT any day. having done close to 4500kms in 3 months, it is a breeze to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
AT any day. I’ve done 5500 km and is super good. I’ve had mostly highway runs, little bit of city drives and just that extra bit of off-roading and the Aisin AT is a pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have a Thar Diesel Automatic,

this is a boon for highway mile munching.

Personally I liked the drive experience of Automatic over the Manual
Thanks Guys for the great feedback, will be changing my booking to A/T, this way my Dad and wife can also drive if they wish to.
xtremeshock is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 15:31   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I too am on the same boat. I booked in November as well. Just wait it out patiently. The issue is specific to AT variants. Also, the semi-conductor shortage has hit them hard. Having said that, expect more delay. Since July, my SA has been telling me that my car is available and is being billed. But it has not happened till date. Reading your post and few other threads on chip shortage, and with the XUV launching, I dont expect to get my Thar before October. I am following up with them every second day, though.
No more postponing the delivery please! I know you've booked around the same time. I even forgot about the booking for almost 6-7 months in between and starting this month I've started to follow up on regular basis.
My current delivery date shows 12th of next month, I'm hoping they would call me earlier than that.
Another thing I have decided is to stick with the HT, they are anyways not flexible enough to change the configuration to CT.
Am I just a few days away looking at the accessories list and related posts! I guess so.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:22   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Am I just a few days away looking at the accessories list and related posts! I guess so.
And I have already procured the accessories. They are lying idle for almost 1.5 months now. Since mid-June, my SA and ASM have been telling me that my 'Thar is almost here'; then they graduated to 'Your Thar will be billed today'.

Now, they have stopped taking my calls altogether. Quite a funny manufacturer this Mahindra.

On one side we have a twitter happy flamboyant Anand Mahindra and on the other a mute company that has no answer to the people who showered love right from day 1 (~Aug 15, 2020).

Last edited by Pancham : 20th August 2021 at 16:24.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:32   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
I’m not sure if this is existing on all Thars, but on our THAR (June,2021 model) I noticed the finish on right/bottom side of the infotainment system is a bit textured where as the top/left sides are smoother.
I just checked and the one in my Thar is smooth all round.

Please check if there is any plastic/transparent sticker residue that is giving you the texture feel.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:36   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I just checked and the one in my Thar is smooth all round.

Please check if there is any plastic/transparent sticker residue that is giving you the texture feel.
Thanks for Checking.
There’s no sticker or residue, it is the finish off the plastic trim itself.

Does your THAR chirp when you lock/unlock with a remote? 😁
Old 21st August 2021, 10:44   #2085
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Exciting news boys! My Thar is getting delivered today - Petrol AT HT
Booked on Dec 6th 2020. Accessories are being fitted as I type... Fingers crossed! Will post pics later

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th August 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Congratulations on the new car! Please avoid typing with excessive excessive exclamation marks and dots. Thank you :)
NIP is offline   (13) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks