Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 12:35   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Thanks for Checking.
There’s no sticker or residue, it is the finish off the plastic trim itself.

Does your THAR chirp when you lock/unlock with a remote? 😁
It doesn’t. It quietly unlocks.

It’s only when the door is open and the remote gets pressed does it go crazy for 5 times, even that gets cut by pressing the open button.
Old 21st August 2021, 23:02   #2087
BHPian

My Thar got delivered today! Can't believe it. It just happened over the last 2 days.

I had booked the LX Petrol HT MT Black Thar in April 21 and was told that there is a waiting period of 10 months. CPD was Feb 21. I was in no rush since I won't be able to go to Leh this year in time and could still go to the lower altitude mountains in Feb-Mar next year.

To my surprise, got a call yesterday from the dealer informing that Mahindra has allocated my car and I can take delivery if I make the full payment. Else they will allocate to next in-line. Took a quick look at the finances and told the dealer that I can go ahead if they show me the car before billing, match the insurance quote from outside and remove all accessories/extended warranty charges. They obliged.

Did a full check of the car and it passed the PDI checklist with flying colors. The only thing which didn't feel right was that the car had run 101 kms. The dealership said the stockyard is far away and showed 2 other Thars which also had similar mileage

And here it is, the mighty Thar

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210821-10.49.38-pm.jpeg

Initial driving impressions

Couldn't go for an extended drive as it was getting late and Vahan site was acting up. While the drive was short, it was buttery smooth and fun to drive. The suspension also didn't look as bumpy as mentioned in the reviews. The brakes did feel spongy but am hoping they will settle in soon. More updates after I drive the car for 500-1000kms.
sid_deb is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:18   #2088
NIP
Senior - BHPian

My Thar was also delivered on the 21st !!! Petrol HT AT !! First impressions - Drives like an electric car....zero sound...kinda eerie for a Mahindra Jeep Not driven on the highway so can't comment on bumpiness, although in the city it drives like a car, except you FEEL the huge wheels rolling under you !!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210822_110017.jpg  

NIP is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:11   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
My feedback was on light fitted on that Thar, used same hence first hand feedback.
Regarding your second comment on night driving and off-roading, I agree. but knocked off/low cost LEDs are useless. For your refence I am into hardcore offroading since last 15 years and probably 5 lacs kms on highway. Nothing beats 100 W bulb with relay and Hella 3003 combination.
These LEDs are pain in rains and HIGHLY disturbing for oncoming traffic.
100% agreed.
Just swapping the bulbs (to LEDs) without changing the headlight unit (from reflectors to projectors, etc.) is useless. I have upgraded to Osram 100/90W yellow halogens on my Thar with a Hella relay and the setup is great.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:08   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
My Thar was also delivered on the 21st !!! Petrol HT AT !! First impressions - Drives like an electric car....zero sound...kinda eerie for a Mahindra Jeep Not driven on the highway so can't comment on bumpiness, although in the city it drives like a car, except you FEEL the huge wheels rolling under you !!
Congratulations!! What's the mileage you are getting in the initial runs?

My AFE is hovering around 10.6 kmpl over last 200kms which looks decent. Hoping it will go up further as the engine settles in.
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:29   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Congratulations!! What's the mileage you are getting in the initial runs?

My AFE is hovering around 10.6 kmpl over last 200kms which looks decent. Hoping it will go up further as the engine settles in.
How much of that 10.6 is in the highway or is it all city ? If possible, do a tank full to tank full method just to check the actual AFE.
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:08   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
How much of that 10.6 is in the highway or is it all city ? If possible, do a tank full to tank full method just to check the actual AFE.
This is all in the city. Just that I was driving on a Sunday when traffic is light to moderate.

Sure, will do the tank full method and update. The manual petrol does look less thirsty than the auto.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:55   #2093
BHPian

Just want to check something. The aftermarket metal bumpers that so many people install on their Thars, are these legal? Can the Traffic Police or RTO impose penalties for these bumpers?
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:15   #2094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
With Diesel Automatic, the MID fuel economy shown is around 2kpl more than actual, this difference was consistent in all 3 top ups I have done with tankful to tankful method.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:33   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubingoel View Post
Just want to check something. The aftermarket metal bumpers that so many people install on their Thars, are these legal? Can the Traffic Police or RTO impose penalties for these bumpers?
More than legality, i wonder if these bumpers would not hamper the Airbags?
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:48   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubingoel View Post
They are illegal and yes, people can get stopped and penalised. Most importantly, given that it’s solid metal, it’s not safe if you hit someone accidentally. Having said that, Bimbra and all have come up with non-metal bumpers which I think are made up of FRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
More than legality, i wonder if these bumpers would not hamper the Airbags?
Some of them do hamper the airbag functioning.

Last edited by Pancham : 23rd August 2021 at 22:50.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 06:48   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
They are illegal and yes, people can get stopped and penalised. Most importantly, given that it’s solid metal, it’s not safe if you hit someone accidentally. Having said that, Bimbra and all have come up with non-metal bumpers which I think are made up of FRP.
But does the RTO acknowledge FRP bumpers that are not OEM and let you go? I think they'll probably use it as an excuse to levy fines.
jubingoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:08   #2098
BHPian

Quick question to those of you who already have their Thars:

The TPMS - what happens when you rotate your tyres to different positions from where they now are? How would you instruct your TPMS that the positions of the sensors have changed, say, from the rear Right to the front Right for example?

Are there instructions in the user manual on how this is to be done? Would someone kindly check this and let us know?

Thanks and cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:14   #2099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The TPMS - what happens when you rotate your tyres to different positions from where they now are?
In XUV 500, there is a rather irritating process to get it done. I am guessing it may be the same with Thar too.

You can find the same in the Mahindra Video

mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:09   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Are there instructions in the user manual on how this is to be done? Would someone kindly check this and let us know?
Check section "15.6.6 Tiretronics Learning" on page 15-15 in the owner's manual, available at the link given below:

https://auto.mahindra.com/service/owners-manual
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks