Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 08:38   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I got a message from Mahindra Dealership regarding availability of a Thar Diesel HT AT and if I am interested to buy it.
Obviously I replied Yes to the offer.
Now they tell me that they need to ask for permission from Mahindra and also I need to confirm payment ASAP.
I replied I am very interested to get the Thar ASAP as it is exactly the variant that I booked, but I will get it under car loan and on my desired date (Planning for 1 week of October) . But they are yet to give me a positive reply.

What is the procedure followed by Dealership in this kind of cases? Any information on this? Can I do something to get a positive reply?
Do make sure that the vehicle is not a Lemon. I mean to say, please confirm that the vehicle did not suffer any damages and has been repaired by dealership. Be very careful, no dealer in our country can be trusted. Its your hard earned money after all. You can ask a mechanic to come with you for a fee and inspect the vehicle before making final call.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:49   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Do make sure that the vehicle is not a Lemon. I mean to say, please confirm that the vehicle did not suffer any damages and has been repaired by dealership. Be very careful, no dealer in our country can be trusted. Its your hard earned money after all. You can ask a mechanic to come with you for a fee and inspect the vehicle before making final call.
I will surely do so. But biggest issue here is no mechanic here has proper knowledge about automatics.
No use in case of the transmission. That, I have to check myself and the Mechanic can check the engine.
I will try to get the VIN of the mentioned car.
And I will also do a PDI again, if it gets alloted to me.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 10:59   #2238
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this Facebook post where a Thar broke down in the hills of Spiti due to DPF regeneration issues. Other concern in Mahindra refusing warranty replacement on the DPF filter stating driver negligence. If the expectation is that one will drive at 60-70 kmph for 30 min in the hills for DPF regeneration then

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-dpf.jpg
Source - https://www.facebook.com/groups/rush...42482/?app=fbl

What does this mean to the guy who is driving the Thar in the hills of south India, say Ooty or Chikkamagaluru? After an hour of relatively slow driving around the ghats or their estate, is one expected to drive spiritedly OR keep revs greater than 2K RPM for longer time duration in order to keep the DPF filter clean?

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2021 at 05:02. Reason: Typo
Old 25th September 2021, 11:46   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
After an hour of relatively slow driving around the ghats or their estate, is one expected to drive spiritedly OR keep revs greater than 2K RPM for longer time duration in order to keep the DPF filter clean?
There is an option for manual regeneration. Here is the youtube link

In this Thar, the customer is claiming that he didn't receive the regen notification. Does anyone know if Thar has a fail safe mechanism which takes care of situations where regen is not done in time.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2021 at 05:02. Reason: Quoted post edited
Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:52   #2240
BHPian

BS4 was better . With this new challenge now ( to add to the other 1000 things in mind) to keep refilling and then hard revving .

Couldn't they have come up with a simpler technology?
Old 25th September 2021, 13:18   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I tagged along a friend who got under body protection fixed including a rear diff guard for his petrol AT Thar. It's an Arka Motor Sports product and found to be of highest quality. Everything was a bolt on and zero drilling. It was fixed at the dealer's place itself. The material used is of aircraft grade 6000 series of aluminium alloy. For people who venture out for serious off roading should have such protection I reckon.

Some pictures below.The brochure is attached for reference. Prices as shared by my friend as follows.

34k for the under body shield
The DEF tank is 6.5k
The differential guard is 4.5k
The foot step assembly is 25k

N.B : I'm in no way associated with Arka Motor Sports, just sharing information for the benefit of Thar owners.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210924wa0052.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210925_131128.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_121705.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_120200.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_124849.jpg

I also got a chance to have a close look at the Aquamarine colour which I booked. Few pictures alongside the Rocky Beige. Both cars were dusty and hence the colour won't be as same as in the photograph. Also got to access the dealer yard. Most Thars parked were petrol models and many of them were found to be without the head units. The dealer folk who accompanied me mentioned most cars would get delivered in next few days and deliveries are moving at snail's pace owing to inauspicious month as customers plan to have the car only by next month. He said they've received head units for all the Thars in their present inventory.

They've also received the XUV700 TD vehicles too, four of them. The new vibrant blue(not sure on the Mahindra lingo for this) and there was one BMW ish blue too which appears black from few feet away and once you're near the car it would appear dark blue. Photographs were not permitted. TD's would start post October 2nd.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_103450.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_103454.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_133501.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR PRODUCTS BROUCHER2.pdf (3.71 MB, 669 views)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th September 2021 at 13:48.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:17   #2242
BHPian

Fellow Bangalore Thar lovers. My wife is getting her Petrol AT HT next weekend. I would like to get some help on the following accessories. Please do mention where to source from (outside Blr) or address/location of the accessories shop in Bangalore. As I understand, Blr mod scene is more around hard core off-road accessories/ mods vs asthetic accessories/mods like the ones done in Punjab (Sikand cars for ex).

1. G Wagen type headlight (ring DRL)
2. Wrangler type grill
3. Driver side Wrangler type grab handle
4. Roof top led blinkers/lights
5. Center and rear armrest
6. Dead peddle

I enquired about the reverse camera which is a OEM accessory but the dealer said there are multiple options but didn't tell me the difference. I was surprised that there are options at all. Which one should I pick in case there are.

Please do suggest any other accessory which is a must have. The car will be driven predominantly in City and sometimes on Highways. I might try some mild off-road once I get used to the car.

Last edited by gurudutt : 25th September 2021 at 14:21.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:58   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
How did your friend arrive at this conclusion? I mean, could his source (even if unofficial) be considered reliable?

Also, is this only relevant to the rear bolts or even the front ones? Does your friend know for sure that the fronts are not affected?
I should've worded it little more carefully than quite subscribing to my friend's(a new Thar owner too) message and concluding that the bolts are the culprit. He was just passing on the message by the Thar owner. As you rightly said, a manufacturer of Mahindra's legacy failing on a critical component as a wheel bolt is quite unlikely. It could well be a case of improper installation and it appears so now. My intention was to convey the message to MithunSathianat to be cautious with spacer installation. My friend has shared some photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'm not sure which bolts would have broken. Did he install proper spacers? Hub Centered? Were the oem bolts replaced or torqued properly?
I went back to my friend and probed further. The owner bought the spacers from a well known 4*4 equipment supplier in Bangalore. I'm told now that he's aware of 3 such cases and now they've stopped the sales of spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Everything has engineering going into it. One cannot just plonk some stupid stuff made by an equally stupid manufacturer and then go about harping that the vehicle has issues.
So it appears like a clear case of what you've mentioned. Not enough thought has gone into the making of spacers or a possible manufacturing defect of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210925wa0060.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210925wa0061.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th September 2021 at 15:06.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:20   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I went back to my friend and probed further. The owner bought the spacers from a well known 4*4 equipment supplier in Bangalore. I'm told now that he's aware of 3 such cases and now they've stopped the sales of spacers.

So it appears like a clear case of what you've mentioned. Not enough thought has gone into the making of spacers or a possible manufacturing defect.
Our BD Sir had warned us about the usage of wheel spacers long ago. Bless his soul, always worked as a reference when it comes to mods.

This a 100mph Jeep , a guy should be very sure before he changes anything on it especially if it is used on public roads.
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:15   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I got a message from Mahindra Dealership regarding availability of a Thar Diesel HT AT and if I am interested to buy it.
Obviously I replied Yes to the offer.
Now they tell me that they need to ask for permission from Mahindra and also I need to confirm payment ASAP.
I replied I am very interested to get the Thar ASAP as it is exactly the variant that I booked, but I will get it under car loan and on my desired date (Planning for 1 week of October) . But they are yet to give me a positive reply.

What is the procedure followed by Dealership in this kind of cases? Any information on this? Can I do something to get a positive reply?
Same boat as you. Got a call from the SA at Mahindra telling me that a chassis number has been allocated to my booking.

1st step is confirming with the customer that they intend to take delivery.
Next, I visited the dealership and they gave me a breakdown of the total $$$ due for the delivery. Also, I was informed that the Thar is en route to the dealership and I need to clear the payment at least a day before the delivery.

I'm not too sure about the procedure of holding the Thar for a customer for delayed delivery, but they probably would want you to clear the payment right away even though you want to delay taking the vehicle by a few weeks.
Old 25th September 2021, 23:34   #2246
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need some feedback regarding the accessories for Thar.

1. BF Goodrich KO2 285 60 R 18- What is the average selling price for these nowadays and what is being offered as exchange value for brand new CEAT OEM tyres?

2. Offroading metal bumper by Bimbra or Azad 4X4: any preference over the 2 in terms of build quality apart? Any other suggestions for vendors I should check out?

3. Aftermarket LED lights: Definitely need to get these changed, I do like the G-wagon style, but are there any fan favorites in terms of quality, throw beam pattern?

4. Floor Mats: I'm not a fan of the 5D-7D mats, I need some rough and tough material, similar to Bushranger, that can take on dirt and mud from shoes and be easily washed off. Any suggestions for floor mats by the hardcore off-roaders in the group.

5. Audio Setup: I have a Convertible top, so definitely planning to invest in good speakers to offset the wind noise with the CT. Any suggestions for a decent setup with maybe an under-seat subwoofer without an amplifier?

All inputs are much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 25th September 2021, 23:37   #2247
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if anyone else got a call from their service center about a proactive service action. This to protect the wiring harness of the front driveline disconnect motor from water ingress.

I got this done today - have posted the details in my ownership thread. But was surprised coz none had reported this in our forum so far!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 07:12   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I have got my Thar's chrome badges blacked out with satin black hydro dripping technique. I also got the bug deflector wrapped with satin black wrap and got it installed yesterday.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210926_070819.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210925_123901.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 11:13   #2249
BHPian

[quote=Tourer;5158275]There is an option for manual regeneration. Here is the youtube link

Though the youtube video shows a manual Thar, the owner's manual does not mention the Park Regenration process to be manual or automatic specific. The process listed on the manual is as follows;

"DPF park regeneration is only possible when the REGEN telltale is ON in the instrument cluster
• Park the vehicle safely in a well ventilated levelled open space and free of any flammable material.
• Shift the gear lever to Neutral with the engine running and apply the parking brake.
• REGEN screen will appear in the drive info menu of instrument cluster when the REGEN telltale is ON
• REGEN screen will go OFF if REGEN telltale turns OFF.
• When in the REGEN screen of the drive info menu, long Press OK button to start park regeneration.
• Once regeneration starts, “In Progress” text will appear below REGEN. The engine idle speed will increase indicating regeneration has started..
• Park Regeneration can take up to 30 minutes to complete. Once completed the REGEN warning lamp in the instrument cluster will turn OFF. The engine’s idling speed also returns to normal"

REGEN option on the menu will appear only when vehicle is capable of Park regeneration (DPF lamp ON or Blinking) along with REGEN telltale.
Long Press Ok button to start Park regeneration.

I think this process is applicable for both manual and automatic transmission. Anyone one on this forum who has used this process on Manual or AT variant can enlighten other members.
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:09   #2250
Senior - BHPian

I thought I was buying the best version of the Thar - Diesel AT HT. Now with all the DPF issues cropping up I feel that the BS 6 diesel is probably not the best option in any car. After patiently waiting for almost 11 months, I checked with my SA if he can allot me a petrol AT instead. Lets see.

In June (I think) he did offer me a Petrol AT.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks