Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2022, 14:50   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Somedays, I have to do some super short trips (3.5 kms) but I do make it a point to drive for atleast 30 mins as soon as possible. I do try to maintain good average speeds.
Won't be a problem -¼th my 24,000 KM is pure city, and invariably under 5km (in-law's ), zero DEF issues! IMHO, DEF issues are overhyped - but I'll reserve my verdict when I spend the planned couple of months up north in sub-zero later this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
As we were talking about projector lights, and /or LED replacements, what about getting the LED Force Gurkha headlights in? I rather like the idea.
I've been thinking about this too, will explore the idea bit!!

And I'll be getting those Z clamps tomorrow, will PM you once I do!
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 15:22   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
We keep telling ourselves that we are both fit and fine!
Hi sir, glad to see you are back.

I've got nothing to add on topic so apologies at the outset.

Only wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss - always enjoyed their pictures and especially your accompanying writeups in the Pets thread. I'm sure they know you love them and they're waiting for you across the rainbow bridge.

Keep your spirits up and be hale and hearty! The next time I'm in LKO or you in CCU let's catch up!

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 27th February 2022 at 15:46.
digitalnirvana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 16:54   #2988
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi sir, glad to see you are back.

I've got nothing to add on topic so apologies at the outset.

Only wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss - always enjoyed their pictures and especially your accompanying writeups in the Pets thread. I'm sure they know you love them and they're waiting for you across the rainbow bridge.

Keep your spirits up and be hale and hearty! The next time I'm in LKO or you in CCU let's catch up!

Hello there! It is great hearing from you again - I remember chatting with you after our extended family made their appearance on these pages.
Yes, the loss was huge. And recovering also took us both time. Like you said, we're sure that wherever they are in the Happy Hunting Grounds, they'll keep the place brightened up.
I've recently posted a short video of Kluso (before he passed away) in the pets section.

Yes we spend more time in Kolkata nowadays and I certainly look forward to meeting you there.

Thanks & regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 20:15   #2989
BHPian

Has anyone tried getting a second remote key for LX variant. I see the following accessory at m2all, it says it is for AX model and can be coded and doesn't require any hardware changes, wondering if it can be coded as a second remote key for LX variant. Price seems reasonable but my service personnel is clueless on this. Me and my brother use our cars interchangeably, thus having both the keys with remote makes it very convenient.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220227200852_chrome.jpg
Old 28th February 2022, 01:28   #2990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
on this high end set up.
Wireless Android Auto is one of the best feature.
I believe new head unit no more displays the 'Adventure Statistics'. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Mine is a Jan 2022 and I do have the Adventure Statistics. The only thing omitted is the Extra USB port with Quick Charge, earlier Thar had 2 but now its just AUX and USB Port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Has anyone tried getting a second remote key for LX variant. I see the following accessory at m2all, it says it is for AX model and can be coded and doesn't require any hardware changes, wondering if it can be coded as a second remote key for LX variant. Price seems reasonable but my service personnel is clueless on this. Me and my brother use our cars interchangeably, thus having both the keys with remote makes it very convenient.
Attachment 2277937
Even I am planning to get this done, will check with my Dealership/Service Center and see as to what they have to say. It would have been so nice if both the keys were exactly similar.

Quote:

I got my reverse camera from Mahindra's m2all.com online and got it installed by the Service center. Not a good experience cause they took a full day to install the camera only to report that the required software could not be uploaded cause of some laptop issue. Again they took another full day to get the software installed and reverse camera working.

Although the Reverse camera output with the Mahindra camera is quite satisfactory for me. Infact, it is equal to if not better than my sold Ecosport's stock camera output.
I was told the exactly same thing, laptop issue. But later someone told me that it is related to some activation stuff, which left me astonished. Camera quality is okay and no very good and there are no guide lines either. They would have been really helpful but atleast something is better than nothing.

Last edited by swunkjyn : 28th February 2022 at 01:34.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 07:31   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2277937
Although my requirement is different, I needed a extra key (plain key without immobiliser chip and remote functionality) to be used solely for the fuel filler door. Where can I buy a Thar compatible unprepared key to cut it accordingly to match my original key? Or should I buy this key from m2all, get it prepared to match my original key and use it for my intended use.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 28th February 2022 at 07:33.
Old 28th February 2022, 10:24   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Although my requirement is different, I needed a extra key (plain key without immobiliser chip and remote functionality) to be used solely for the fuel filler door. Where can I buy a Thar compatible unprepared key to cut it accordingly to match my original key? Or should I buy this key from m2all, get it prepared to match my original key and use it for my intended use.
What about the 2nd key which doesn not have a remote? Does it not fit your use case?
Old 28th February 2022, 12:21   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
What about the 2nd key which doesn not have a remote? Does it not fit your use case?
Yes, currently using the spare non remote key for Fuel filler lid. Thought of getting another simple key just for the Fuel filler lid and keep the original spare key at home.
Old 28th February 2022, 14:58   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Hi Tilt,

Just peeped under the rear bumper to see 'blaupunkt' written on the module ... If I remember right, i had asked for an option to upgrade my Headlamps and they denied stating they only stock M&M official or approved accessories. Now am hoping it's an approved camera and will not void any of my warranty claims tomorrow.

It does have dynamic guides, but there is a delay from steering input to display output. That being said, i really don't use the guidelines, the camera is used to ensure there are no children or animals or such small obstacles in the blind spot. I went for the model because it sits snug on the bottom side of the bumper, literally invisible from the rear.
Did you get the camera from Mahindra themselves and was it installed by the dealer?

What year and month is your car from?

cheers
Old 28th February 2022, 19:25   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Did you get the camera from Mahindra themselves and was it installed by the dealer?

What year and month is your car from?

cheers
Picked all accessories from dealer, including camera and installation was done before delivery.

It's Jan manufactured and delivered in Feb '22. Some components have stamps ranging from Sep 21 to Nov 21, atleast the ones i spotted.
dr.dre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 10:05   #2996
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - Accessories

Recently booked a Thar and have a fairly stabilized list of accessories.

1) I have requested the standard Mahindra armrests, with USB for backrow, and without USB for the front row ( the set that's available on m2all ). Is this ok or would you recommend something after-market? My objectives here are:
a) Hide the wheel arches in the rear
b) Charging points for the rear
c) Occasional support for the front row people.
2) How could I get an A/C vent for the rear row - what mods/accessories would you suggest?

3) For the front seats, is there a simplistic way of extending the thigh support - via fancy seat cover or something as opposed to making bigger changes?

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th March 2023 at 04:29. Reason: Typos.
Old 1st March 2022, 10:31   #2997

Comrades,

Here is a brief overview of the problems I faced in my Thar after driving it for 41k.

Please know that I am thoroughly impressed and happy with my Thar and have not regretted the decision even once. It shines everywhere, it is a headturner, good off roader and blah blah blah.. we all know the good bits.

However, over here I will be sharing the negatives only that I faced for soft top convertible-

1. It gets dirty. Due to small air vents/gaps here and there, a convertible will never be as clean as a hard top. Some dirt will definitely settle everywhere inside the car. You have to spend sometime cleaning it almost every alternate day.

2.Reversing the car will always be an issue until you get a camera. You can get the camera installed from third party, but will have to go to Mahindra Service Centre to get the Software tweaked without which video will not be displayed on screen of the Entertainment Unit.

3. Within first few thousand kms (November 2020- February 2021), I started facing issues with horn. Its a dual horn. Sometimes it works fine, randomly it starts sounding strange, sometimes it produces only a shrill tone while other times it produces a very heavy tone, sometimes its just like a scooty's horn. This issue automatically disappeared as summers came. Now since November 2021 I am again facing horn issues. In December 21 I visited Munsiyari (good snow). Over there the horn really went bad. It just stopped working. As soon as I came to plain areas, it was better but again. Once or twice each drive the horn goes crazy. Anyways the service center guys believed my horn issue only when I showed them multiple videos of horn going bonkers. They changed it under warranty in Jan 2022.

4. When I completed around 2000 kms, the AC vent direction knob just broke without any rhyme or reason. It still remains broken. Cheap quality plastics I guess. Anyways I have got it changed from after market ones as the service center could not arrange a replacement even after an year.

5. After around 7000kms I faced ABS sensor issues. It used to give warning 'Check ABS System'. Service center got it rectified, though it took a few days for the sensor replacement to come.

6. I rarely engage 4x4. Even during light snow drives, I found 4x2 was doing a good job in this car. However when I do engage them, I feel that a little more than required noise comes from front two tyre areas. However service centre assures that its normal. This noise is noticeable only with top down or if you are outside the vehicle.

7.Within one month of ownership the 12v socket fuse was blown, it was promptly changed by service centre.

8. Around 30k kms later the FM radio/antennae developed a strange problem. It wont recieve any signal. I cannot listen to radio in Thar. I visited service centre before Diwali 2021 for this issue and I was informed that there was some earthing issue. Problem remained. Again visited during December 2021, and I was told that some kind of wiring was required for antenna then I got a call from service center in January 2022 to bring my car for the radio issue. took my car but the problem could not be rectified. even in March 2022, I cannot listen to radio.

9. Seat belt- I faced a strange issue of seat belt jamming, so much so that it would just freeze/lock at any random time. I took it to service center, they didnt really do any thing just pulled it real hard, and I havent had that issue since 10k kms now.

10. Major issue- some random times (thrice till now, in past 2000 kms) the car and the ignition remains on even after you take out the keys. This is a major problem I faced. I take out the keys, still the vehicle remains on, music system, lights everythin remains on, you can even drive. I switch off the engine by putting it in 6th gear and releasing the cluthch pedal while at halt, however everything else remains on. The Only option is to remove the negative terminal from battery. absolutely nothing else can be done. This issue comes up randomly. Service Center has one reply, 'bring it in'. They put their laptop, see the error, remove it and then say that it wont happen again. And it happens again. The problem is that I can't leave the car with every light glowing throughout the night. Not only will it drain the battery, but every thief will know that something is wrong with the car.

11. Its like owning an elephant. You have to give it a lot of maintenance. It needs one service center visit, every alternate month.

Anyways, these were the issues I face(d) with the car. All that being said, I am still impressed by the capabilities of this car. and would love to buy it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220301-10.00.38-am.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220301-9.51.40-am.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220127-2.31.47-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd March 2022 at 06:53. Reason: Fixing typos / use of capital letters at multiple places.
samanvya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 22:06   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
10. Major issue- some randaom times (thrice till now, in past 2000 kms) the car and the ignition remains on even after you take out the keys. This is a major problem I faced. I take out the keys, still the vehicle remains on, music system, lights everythin remains on, you can even drive. I switch off the engine by putting it in 6th gear and releasing the cluthch pedal while at halt, however everything else remains on. The Only option is to remove the negative terminal from battery. absolutely nothing else can be done. This issue comes up randomly. Service Center has one reply, 'bring it in'. They put their laptop, see the error, remove it and then say that it wont happen again. And it happens again. the problem is that I can't leave the car with every light glowing throughout the night. not only will it drain the battery, but every theif will know that something is wrong with the car.
This seems to be like a serious safety issue as well. Did service center give any explanation on this issue?

May I know what this small switch is for?
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220301-9.51.40-am.jpeg
MithunSathianat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 13:29   #2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
This seems to be like a serious safety issue as well. Did service center give any explanation on this issue?

May I know what this small switch is for?
So I got my Thar back yesterday. The small switch is for the lights in AC vents (Mercedes style AC vents). They can be operated by remote, by your phone as well but it also comes with a small switch so i got the switch installed. Why to waste it?

Now the issue of car not switching off and the engine immobiliser being triggered.
Probelm recap- thrice in past one and and half month it happened that when I used to take out the key, the car kept on running along with all lights and everything. The only solution was to disconnect negative terminal from battery. However the third time, just a few days ago when this happened, engine immobiliser got triggered and the car had to be towed to the service center.

Solution- i did not have RSA so called Mahindra customer care. Honestly, the customer care was genuinely very helpful. Immediately they sent 2 technicians from a nearby service center, who put in their laptop and tried and tried but the car refused to start. After their diagnosis they cocluded that Probably some wire was bitten by Rats. And the wiring needs to be changed. Hearing this i got worried and called the srvice center where i usually give my car for servicing and they sent a recovery vehicle and towed my car. They also diagnosed and diagnosed. First they blamed the new AC vent lights, stating that the wiring was probably disturbed. But when I gave proof that this issue had cropped up before the new AC vents were installed they said that it was some lose connection.
Then yesterday when I collected my car I got a new explanation that the amplifier/music system was getting electricity from some port which caused backflow of electric current and they have rectified it. Frankly I do not buy it as My Amplifier is connected via separate connection directly with battery and anyways not much clarity was given to me. Anyways no explanation as to why the immobiliser was triggered.
The car is working fine now. In case this happens again i will just take the keys out and hope that the battery doesn't die. I have now purchased the 70mai jump starter for those extreme cases where battery dies. I dont want to take the risk of disconnecting negative terminal and getting immobiliser triggered.

So thats it.
Be that as it may, I can assure that at least in Lucknow the Mahindra customer care tries really hard to ensure help reaches you asap and the service center guys genuinely try to help you. I am happy with the services.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2022 at 17:24. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
samanvya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 14:02   #3000
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Its been a long time since I posted anything in here, even though have been following all the related issues to our beloved ride.

I have been eyeing to get new pair of shoes for my ride, but it wasn't working out as expected. The desired choice was obviously BF Goodrich Ko2's, but their non availability made it harder to settle down for something else.

So in pursuit of my happiness, I went shop hunting, door to door, some tyre dealers in Manimajra Auto Market in Chandigarh, Bansal Tyres, some few more but all in vain. Every one seemed to be aware of their existence, but to lay my hands on the actual rubber seemed a distant dream.

So I further ventured to Ludhiana, Velocity Tyres, they showed me everything under the roof, except what I exactly wanted. They would sell to out anything they have, quoting "Bhai, Gutti to same hi hai...but we TeamBHPians, know, its not just the Gutti (tread pattern), we are after. Adjacenty to Velocity tyres, there was another mammoth store of tyres and wheels, Monga Tyres. After checking out all the Radars, Arrivo, Yokohama, Pirelli Scorpion, I decided to leave, but finally the owner of the store himself, mentioned, that they have 4 used Ko2s (300kms done) lying around, but they can try getting a fifth one.

For the first time, I actually had a look and feel of Ko2s, it was like finding the holy grail. I was so glad, I didn't settle for any other Gutti . However, even after spending an hour there, and enormous follow up calls, they failed to source the fifth tyre, and their I was back to square one.

Eventually I contacted Mr. Karan, in Delhi, found his contact here in teamBhp, posted by one of the respected members, and I am glad to say he was more than positive to get me what I desired. Finally on 4th March, drove all the way from Shimla to Delhi, accompanied by Mr. Leo, (my rottie pup) met Mr. Karan at around 4pm at his store , CR Park, New Delhi.

The choice of wheels I went for is Fuel Off-Road, in 17inches, negative offset. 8J, would have been preferred, but I had to settle with 9J, as 8j's were not available, tyre size being 265/65/R17.

Attaching pics, let the pics do the remaining talking.

Ciao, & thanks for sharing valuable contacts here. It wouldn't have been possible without this platform.

Attaching some pictures, let the shots do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a1eae5004bef41f4a120b326b15683c2.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9015.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9031.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4d930167ab184f46bf136ff53170f736.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9025.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9002.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9008.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9044.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9047.jpg  

Stacko is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed