Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 14:00   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Hello friends,

Can someone guide me to the right source/product for getting, anti theft wheel nuts or similar kind of arrangement, so that the spare mounted wheel cannot be stolen.
Can the same arrangement be used, on the remaining four wheels as well?
Check this post for the contact -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5196176 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

And this post from my review thread for a look-see (lonngg post, look for the part that talks about Farad Galaxy lock!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5237298
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:44   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you have figured this one out, definitely seems like there is a minor leak in the system. You can get it checked at the service centre, maybe its just a loose clamp at the end of the hose.

Yes, sending the Thar to the service center tomorrow. Booked an appointment for tomorrow morning.
Sad to come across this issue. Dampens the ownership experience considerably.
Upon proper observation, I have noticed, the brake pedal goes hard if the car is parked for 4-5 hours. So, vacuum leak is the prime suspect here.

Biggest issue now, Thar is my all purpose, Daily driven car, No other cars in my garage. If I send the car to service center, I have to commute to Hospital on a hired Auto Rickshaw here. Mahindra should provide courtesy vehicle cause this type of niggles are completely their fault.
The service center experience here is also not very good so far, not proactive and workmanship is not to my liking. Always sceptical with their work.

I really regret selling off my ever so reliable MS Celerio now

Last edited by dr_TJ : 9th March 2022 at 15:46.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 16:37   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I really regret selling off my ever so reliable MS Celerio now
I empathize with you, doc. However, please do not let a one-off experience mar your ownership saga of this lovely jeep. Let's see what the service center has to say. I am sure the issue will be rectified, and you will soon be grinning behind the wheel of your Thar Please keep us posted.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 19:26   #3019
BHPian

To all those who, like me, are fed up with the noise coming from the tailgate - it's the air extractor. I had issues with the snack tray and solved them with nitrile foam and some mounting pressure - however, a rattle at both low and high speeds and when operating the rear door persists.

I am spending quality time on this document. LINKED HERE.
Coming up with a plan to deaden the rear extractor/build other buffered acoustic channels to feed the tailgate, and also cut down on reverb when the door is shut.

An excerpt : Current air extractors allow exterior road noise to the cabin, so it is required that the new
prototype reduces or prevents the transmission of sound through the extractor. By preventing
noise transmission, this will enhance the overall perception of vehicle quality.

The extractor on the Thar is poor- just hanging on the rear wheel and swinging your weight on it is enough to get it to rattle obnoxiously. This is compounded when using a wheel cover since it causes random turbulence.

The extractor is right by the outward panel behind the spare wheel mount.
Direct butyl sheet damping is not the solution as it'll cause more issues with air pressure build up as the vent will not do it's job.
wooka is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 19:50   #3020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, sending the Thar to the service center tomorrow. Booked an appointment for tomorrow morning.
If you get weekend off, you can always get it checked in person. It is not a huge issue for now that you need to rush it in. But yes since it brake better to be on the cautious side.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 21:37   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
To all those who, like me, are fed up with the noise coming from the tailgate - it's the air extractor.

An excerpt : Current air extractors allow exterior road noise to the cabin, so it is required that the new
prototype reduces or prevents the transmission of sound through the extractor. By preventing
noise transmission, this will enhance the overall perception of vehicle quality.

The extractor on the Thar is poor- just hanging on the rear wheel and swinging your weight on it is enough to get it to rattle obnoxiously. This is compounded when using a wheel cover since it causes random turbulence.
I do experience similar sort of rattles from the rear of my Thar. Tried to find the source of the rattle many times and with time, I have a strong doubt, that is was the Air Extractor on the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you get weekend off, you can always get it checked in person. It is not a huge issue for now that you need to rush it in. But yes since it brake better to be on the cautious side.
Yes, Since it is to do with the brakes, I plan to get it checked soon. Sadly, the Mahindra Service center here remains closed on Sundays.
Old 10th March 2022, 13:06   #3022
BHPian

Can Mahindra provide a courtesy car if I desperately need one when my Thar will have to stay in the service center for almost 2 days?

Is there any company policy?

As per the vacuum leak issue, the vacuum lines were examined, vacuum was measured. It was found to be less than normal but lines and connections seemed to be normal as per the SA.

So, they have forwarded the issue to the technical team of Mahindra. Now they await for the response from the technical team. Might need brake master cylinder and brake booster replacement along with the vacuum lines.
If that is required, it might need a 2 days stay at the service center.

I also asked for OBD scan about the status of my DPF and DEF after 4000 kms which includes a lot of short trips and Sunday Highway runs, so I was curious. DPF soot mass was found to be 1g and DEF left is around 15.5 litres

Last edited by dr_TJ : 10th March 2022 at 13:10.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 17:02   #3023
BHPian

Your DPF soot is spot on.
Here's what's interesting..

Instance 1 - I drove 800 kms at an average of 80 to Abu Road. The next day at service they said 10g. I asked what happens at higher masses - they said auto regen in an automatic at 20. Yellow light at 25. Limp at 30. I didn't believe the soot could have been 10g after my recent heist /haste. I refused to burn Fuel in a car I was running in (1k kms and first service.)

Instance 2 - at 4k kms at Noida I had them read it out. It was 1g and they said I've got the right pattern to keep it low.

Unsure how this came to be. Didn't put stock into it. As other members have said, other than the intermittent console flash while driving, there's no reason to fuss about it. And so I don't bother anymore. I'm careful about heavy accelerating on a cold engine for turbo reasons as it is, so I must be doing something right.

Don't count on a loaner but if your RSA is active maybe you can speak to the boss there.
wooka is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 19:10   #3024
BHPian

Will there be any issue/damage if I drive my car everyday with less vacuum or any vacuum defect?

While I wait for the service center to get some guidance from Mahindra's higher ups, I will have to drive my car everyday, so don't want any damage to the engine.
Old 11th March 2022, 15:13   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Will there be any issue/damage if I drive my car everyday with less vacuum or any vacuum defect?

While I wait for the service center to get some guidance from Mahindra's higher ups, I will have to drive my car everyday, so don't want any damage to the engine.
Slow initial braking is my understanding. Back in the day t'was all about pumping brakes every now and then. Back to basics I s'ppose.

Meanwhile, all you enthu people making holes in your A panels, there is a grab handle or two (both the hard plastic one and the soft rubber one, already present in the Thar) that can be installed with ease, without structural damage, zero damage, and handy enough. Buy spares off m2all or boodmo - there is a discount on m2all running right now.

In fact, it is easy to hang onto it during off-road sessions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220311_144453.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220311_144525.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220311_144533.jpg  

wooka is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 00:06   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Buy spares off m2all or boodmo - there is a discount on m2all running right now.
Is this the one? https://www.m2all.com/mahindra-genui...-for-thar.html
Not able to make out if this is the hard plastic one or the hanging type.
Old 12th March 2022, 06:27   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is this the one? https://www.m2all.com/mahindra-genui...-for-thar.html
Not able to make out if this is the hard plastic one or the hanging type.
This is the hanging type.

If you want the hard one for the driver side -
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-grab...iner-55552906/
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 06:33   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This is the hanging type.

If you want the hard one for the driver side -
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-grab...iner-55552906/
I had the hard handle ordered from my local dealer VVC Mahindra and installed it on the driver side, at their place. Costed me Rs. 105/-. Before that I tried Boodmo and the sick website never sent it over even after waiting for 2 months.
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 11:14   #3029
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of my much awaited Thar Diesel AT. One more BHPian added to the list of proud Thar owners .

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220310_125008.jpg

Will come up with ownership thread soon.

Cheers.
motoholic31 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 13:24   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoholic31 View Post
Finally got the delivery of my much awaited Thar Diesel AT.
Cheers.
Congrats! I too got my Black Diesel AT yesterday
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220311-4.53.21-pm.jpeg
Jaguar is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks