Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 21:49   #1516
BHPian

My 2 cents for anyone buying or evaluating the Thar - buy it with a pinch of salt. It won't be perfect like the Japs or Korean makes. Be ready to invest time and patience in the upkeep, rattling noises, factory recalls and electronic quirks. It's fun to drive but don't expect a smooth drive.

PS: Royal Enfield owners will get this 🤘🏽
shaktisarangi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 22:22   #1517
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
My 2 cents for anyone buying or evaluating the Thar - buy it with a pinch of salt. It won't be perfect like the Japs or Korean makes. Be ready to invest time and patience in the upkeep, rattling noises, factory recalls and electronic quirks. It's fun to drive but don't expect a smooth drive.

PS: Royal Enfield owners will get this 🤘🏽
Agreed with you on this, Thar is nothing close to a normal car produced by the other Asian and American countries, rather it will require a lot of attention and patience during the ownership tenure. However, if taken care well and if you know what to get it done during a routine servicing these beauties will last many Lakhs kms fuss free. In Thar CRDe there’s a owners maintenance manual, which pretty much gives almost all the data and comes handy in taking care of the Thar, I am not sure if the same is part of new Thar.

One more thing which I would like to add up, a car like Thar is built to last a war and can take abuse, however as a human tendency we tend to abuse it when behind the wheels even though an easy way out is available or take it off road without knowing ABC of it. My advice is take it slow, get accustomed, abuse where unavoidable, learn a bit of off road, rather than directly taking your Thar off road accompany a few seasoned off roaders for a few sessions.

Look after it like your baby and it will reward you back pretty more.

Cheers !!!!
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 08:17   #1518
BANNED

Let me add a testimony to this news:

My friend has booked two Thars in early March, black, diesel, MT, Hard Top and black, diesel, AT, Hard Top (Both are on the top of demand chart). Reason behind booking two of them is the dealer's attitude. The dealer is known to us and he had a hearty laugh when we said that we need the car by Diwali. But he suggested us to book the models we can adjust with, others we can cancel as he was quite confident that no matter what's the model or color, it will get sold

So, both are booked, whichever of the to will come earlier, will be taken. But, the dealer has told it in a very clear tone that until some miracle happens, we are not getting the car before 2022. He even said that 10 months is the minimum in any manner with current production level.

Looking at this kind of waiting period, it was automaticlly clear to us that Mahindra's order books are absolutely overloaded way beyond their production capabilities. It's a seller's market in their case - take it or leave it, your choice.

We need more products like Thar in our market. These products come and cause disruption, they show the other manufacturers that a lot of market potential is untapped - with huge profit margins. The success of Thar will probably get us a few more such lifestyle vehicle, and hence make the market move away from our hatch, and the worst 'compact' market!
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:27   #1519
BHPian

Why does Mahindra not offer the Thar LX Petrol MT in convertible option? A friend is looking to book and the variant just doesn't exist. He either needs to go for the Diesel which doesn't make sense in NCR or get an automatic. Doesn't want those steel rims in the AX either.

Should I advise him to just go for the hard-top instead? He feels the convertible will be a nice to have during the trips to Leh/Spiti. Would be interesting to hear the views on the forum
Old 14th April 2021, 12:49   #1520
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2021 at 12:23.
vinay.makhija is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th April 2021, 13:00   #1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Why does Mahindra not offer the Thar LX Petrol MT in convertible option? A friend is looking to book and the variant just doesn't exist. He either needs to go for the Diesel which doesn't make sense in NCR or get an automatic. Doesn't want those steel rims in the AX either.

Should I advise him to just go for the hard-top instead? He feels the convertible will be a nice to have during the trips to Leh/Spiti. Would be interesting to hear the views on the forum
They're not allowing AX bookings either. It's done to streamline production during this period of extreme demand. When things slow down a little, they'll start taking bookings for relatively low volume model specs.
Kc93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:13   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Why does Mahindra not offer the Thar LX Petrol MT in convertible option?
I've been wondering about this as well, and could not come up with any logical explanation on Mahindra's part! It is quite baffling that a similar combination (LX MT CT) is available with a diesel engine. Beats me! That said, the AT gearbox of the Thar is a gem and unless your friend is too hung up on a manual transmission, I'd advise him to go with the petrol AT - it makes 20 nm of additional torque over the MT. Moreover, it does not make sense to forego the pleasure of a convertible top solely on these grounds.

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th April 2021 at 17:18.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:56   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
It's a seller's market in their case - take it or leave it, your choice.
A 1 year leadtime for a Thar is probably at the outer limit of what an Indian consumer will want to deal with in my opinion. A majority of the bookings are a heart over head kinda thing and most will re-evaluate that from a use case/finance/alternate product perspective once they spend a few sleepless nights contemplating the decision. Eventually the hype will settle down, cancellations will come in and footfalls at the dealers will go down since not many will even entertain the thought of waiting a year. The XUV 700 will come along and the Thar will go back to being a novelty product.

I think the Thar is awesome but Mahindra have completely messed it up with the delivery leadtimes. This is no Bronco, Tesla or even a Fortuner that people will wait years for one. Mahindra will come to regret the mess and their arrogance in a few years time.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:22   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post

PS: Royal Enfield owners will get this ����
Agree with the overall sentiment in some sense. However, in my experience with owning the new Thar for 3 months and driving 3300 kms, I have not heard a single rattle despite driving in lots of rough terrain and bad roads during this time. By this time in the life cycle, I had rattles in both the Ecosport and Polo, my previous two new car buys. The Ecosport had a couple of recalls as well since I was one of the first to buy it after its launch in 2013.

The Thar’s drive is actually even less noisy than the Ecosport and the gearbox is the smoothest this side on 30 lakhs IMO. So yes, some niggles have indeed been reported and some recalls as well, but upkeep has been easy so far, with the over-eager Mahindra service and there have been zero rattles. So I am looking forward to an easier ownership than what I had anticipated.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th April 2021 at 19:23.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:22   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post

I think the Thar is awesome but Mahindra have completely messed it up with the delivery leadtimes. This is no Bronco, Tesla or even a Fortuner that people will wait years for one. Mahindra will come to regret the mess and their arrogance in a few years time.
They will wait, the alternative is simply to drool at someone driving around in what should have been their Thar , no kidding.

They waited even more for the XUV 10 years back, surely this is a not their first time or the company`s.

The pricing strategy is surely to establish the brand and close the door on any other 'Jeep' to put it simply, so for now Thar enjoys 100% of the market.

Yesterday a child was about to get into his Dad`s shiny new Safari, looked at a Thar in the parking and screamed - I want that one. It was not even a new one.

Funny they do not seem to grow up.
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:56   #1526
BHPian

Finally the wait is coming to a timely conclusion. Not bad after all for Mahindra to stick to their CPD (more or less). I am attaching the invoice copy folks, need help for a few doubts & how to resort them.

1. Insurance quoted is 78,855/- Isn't it quite on the higher side. (My model is Diesel LX HT AT)

2. Accessory 12155+ 25000. As per various previous posts, I guess this is not compulsory, to take from the dealer. Yet need help, how to go about it, and if at all, then what exactly to take from the dealer.?

Any other inputs for PDI, would be much more welcome too. Thanks & cheers.
Stacko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 19:23   #1527
Senior - BHPian

My vehicle has been billed on Apr 1 and was awaiting Infotainment unit. Infotainment was fitted on tuesday and afternoon salesperson made a call as vehicle was ready. All funds were transferred on Tuesday. Wednesday was a holiday. Thursday the sales person incharge went on leave.

Last edited by lurker : 15th April 2021 at 19:25.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 21:18   #1528
Senior - BHPian

This vehicle reached dealer on/before April 1 (momentous day) without Infotainment. I presume all April vehicles will come with infotainment which dealer hasn't started receiving yet.
Old 16th April 2021, 07:53   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Finally the wait is....
1. Insurance quoted is 78,855/- Isn't it quite on the higher side. (My model is Diesel LX HT AT)

2. Accessory 12155+ 25000. As per various previous posts, I guess this is not compulsory, to take from the dealer. Yet need help, how to go about it, and if at all, then what exactly to take from the dealer.?

My dealer didn’t fuss too much when I wanted to go out for insurance. I had a similar quote as well. Finally, he did come very close to the quote I had offline. I ended up paying 4K more than what I sourced outside of the dealer. Costed me 58K

As for accessories, you’ll definitely need the Mud Guard. The floor mats that you get is almost like a rubbery plastic. Though I don’t like it, it came in very handy during my long drive yesterday. Took just 5 minutes for me to remove, hose it with water to clean and get them dry. I also took the Bug Deflector.

I did’nt need any other accessories from the dealer, and again, no fuss from them.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:02   #1530
BHPian

Installed 70mai A800S Dual channel after 2-3 hours of effort.
Routed main power cable via windshield, A-Pillar, Driver Foot well and took out through gear console.
Rear camera cable is routed via other side of windshield, A-Pillar, Co Driver door beading, Wheel Arch carpets and finally to rear wind shield.
Have purchased hardwiring kit also, will install it later.

Other immediate mods:
* CR 70 Film from 3M
* Grill change
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210409_184759.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210409_190729.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210416_105529.jpg  

MithunSathianat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed