Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 11:41   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Mahindra extends warranty on vehicles till July 31. The extension of the warranty period will be applicable for vehicles which were set to expire between April 1 and May 31. The warranty period will now be auto extended till July 31.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210513113805_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 12:32   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra extends warranty on vehicles till July 31. The extension of the warranty period will be applicable for vehicles which were set to expire between April 1 and May 31. The warranty period will now be auto extended till July 31.*SNIP*
OK, I am sure I am missing something here; but isn't warranty supposed to be for a year or something? And if the earliest deliveries were in November 2020, shouldn't warranty expire only in November 2021?

What does Mahindra mean when they say they're extending warranty until July? How does that even work out?

Edited to add: OK, sorry, I just read the tweet after I posted - it is for all SUVs from Mahindra and not just the new Thar. My mistake.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 13th May 2021 at 12:34.
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:03   #1668
BHPian

Yay My Thar is all set for delivery. Dealership is working from 6:30 am to 9:30 am to ensure customer deliveries. My SA Vikram was very friendly and attended all my requirements.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033545549_ios.jpg
VIN is April 2021. Hope some niggles are sorted by now. Odo was 18Kms.

As the Thar is in full demand, I did not do a full PDI. (No need for the heart burn if find any fault). I only checked for paint and dents. Did not see any. So far so good. The accessories I requested were installed (Mud flaps, Scuff plate and the floor mats). My ride has the CEAT CZAR AT. Seeing all the cladded ones, this felt Naked.
Overall the quotation came to:
Name:  Thar.png
Views: 3622
Size:  17.5 KB
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033659545_ios.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033646839_ios.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033707418_ios.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033712649_ios.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033717920_ios.jpg

Some more Mods/ Accessories planned are:
  1. Rear Camera - I may opt for the one from Car Sonics, Secunerabad
  2. Dash Cam - Need to decide the model
  3. Underbody protection - Either partial ones from Mahindra (MS for radiator guard & plastic for Fuel Tank) or full from Prad 4x4 (Aluminium)
  4. Tires - Just not sure what to do with the 18" alloys. If I can sell them, immediate mod will be 16" with BF Goodrich tires 275/70/R16. Got to check the weight penalty
  5. How useful is the bug deflector. Main deterrent was it not being body colored.
  6. Limb Risers
Winch - What are the recommended models
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
A winch has been accommodated INSIDE a stock bumper though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMPk5bVj...d=gokhks94bs62
This looks pretty neat and clean. It seems like the closest one can get to meeting the regulations and pedestrian safety. One mod that I am keen on but was not sure how to go about. Now this is definitely worth exploring further. When I enquired with the my SA today he said putting winch in the stock bumper should be feasible at the Thar nameplate.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210513_033652063_ios.jpg
My ride is coming home soon
indian21r is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 19:01   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Yay My Thar is all set for delivery. Dealership is working from 6:30 am to 9:30 am to ensure customer deliveries. My SA Vikram was very friendly and attended all my requirements.
Congratulations indian21r, wish you many miles and a niggle free experience.
Do you have any lighting upgrades in mind?

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:32.
darkpython9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 19:39   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Some more Mods/ Accessories planned are:
  1. Rear Camera - I may opt for the one from Car Sonics, Secunerabad
  2. Dash Cam - Need to decide the model
  3. Underbody protection - Either partial ones from Mahindra (MS for radiator guard & plastic for Fuel Tank) or full from Prad 4x4 (Aluminium)
  4. Tires - Just not sure what to do with the 18" alloys. If I can sell them, immediate mod will be 16" with BF Goodrich tires 275/70/R16. Got to check the weight penalty
  5. How useful is the bug deflector. Main deterrent was it not being body colored.
  6. Limb Risers
Winch - What are the recommended models
[indent]

My ride is coming home soon
Heartiest congratulations, I am pretty sure passing the time might be becoming difficult but the the very feeling of driving the Thar from showroom to home will eradicate everything.

Regarding the mods you have planned, Mod no. 1 to 3 will absolutely increase the functionality of the Thar. With regard to swapping the tyres, please take a careful thought and detailed analysis before finalizing one, most of the tyre swaps ruin the drive quality however, in many cases downsizing the tyres has also helped in improving ride quality of tall body on frame vehicles. Hence, please get yourself satisfied thoroughly before the tyre swap.

To be honest I don’t find much usefulness of the bug deflector, Mahindra claims that it increases the aerodynamics of Thar but I don’t know how in the world can a bug deflector can increase the aerodynamics of the vehicle which itself is boxy in all respects. Limb risers are subjective if the owner likes the look with the limb riser, it surely will be a useful add on.

All the best and happy motoring !!!

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:32.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 21:12   #1671
BHPian

Thanks for the wishes everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Wish you many miles and a niggle free experience. Do you have any lighting upgrades in mind?
No light upgrades planned yet. I do not even remember the throw of the stock lights. They were doing bulb swaps at the dealership. I asked them to share the specs and price for the same.

Audio components is one I will explore later as well. You are doing a thorough job there. Would love to hear your setup sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Hence, please get yourself satisfied thoroughly before the tyre swap.

To be honest I don’t find much usefulness of the bug deflector
Tires is one area I am not able to take a call. I haven't driven any modified Thar's. All my drives were on the stock Thar DI and that was almost a decade ago. For the next 15k-20k Kms, I may run the stock ones before switching. That is where I felt alloys should have been optional. While the radiator guards etc should have been standard. Ditching Rs. 55,000 worth alloys does not bode well for me. . If I find good rims and tires, these may come in the Give away section.

As long as it deflects the bugs that is good enough. Does Thar windscreen suffer from a relatively higher bug problem compared to SCross or Creta? Primarily the angle of the windscreen.

My car needs to be as much stock as possible as I have to take it to RTO later for permanent registration. Post that a few mods planned
Make the hardtop a removable one. After the rains are over this season, that is a mod I will experiment with. The reason I chose HT over CT was I wanted the Hard Top to reflect in RC papers. Getting RC updated for Mods I am not sure how easy it will be.

Another one is Stripes on bonnet and maybe white paint for the roof.
Old 13th May 2021, 22:55   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Tires is one area I am not able to take a call. I haven't driven any modified Thar's. All my drives were on the stock Thar DI and that was almost a decade ago. For the next 15k-20k Kms, I may run the stock ones before switching. That is where I felt alloys should have been optional. While the radiator guards etc should have been standard. Ditching Rs. 55,000 worth alloys does not bode well for me. . If I find good rims and tires, these may come in the Give away section.

As long as it deflects the bugs that is good enough. Does Thar windscreen suffer from a relatively higher bug problem compared to SCross or Creta? Primarily the angle of the windscreen.

My car needs to be as much stock as possible as I have to take it to RTO later for permanent registration. Post that a few mods planned
Make the hardtop a removable one. After the rains are over this season, that is a mod I will experiment with. The reason I chose HT over CT was I wanted the Hard Top to reflect in RC papers. Getting RC updated for Mods I am not sure how easy it will be.

Another one is Stripes on bonnet and maybe white paint for the roof.
As I said, swapping the tyres may or may not yield many results, as long as you do regular mud, sludge etc. the A/T tyres are sufficient. Anyways as I said earlier take a conscious call and if the stock tyres don’t create any issues in your regular usage, better to stick to it.

I drive a Thar CRDe which was an upright windscreen more than the new gen Thar, but haven’t noticed a higher bug problem till now.

Quite an ambitious thought with regard to the hardtop, I hope you find a suitable solution soon, all the best.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 05:59   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
As I said, swapping the tyres may or may not yield many results, as long as you do regular mud, sludge etc. the A/T tyres are sufficient. Anyways as I said earlier take a conscious call and if the stock tyres don’t create any issues in your regular usage, better to stick to it.
When I do the tire change, they will be AT only. As we do have sizeable chunk of Thar owners already on the forum, I feel a thread on tire upgrade is warranted. It should cover the various tire options, impact of the sizes on aspects like additional unsprung weight, handling, premature part failures, etc.

Quote:
I drive a Thar CRDe which was an upright windscreen more than the new gen Thar, but haven’t noticed a higher bug problem till now.
Oh nice, then I will drop this for now.

Quote:
Quite an ambitious thought with regard to the hardtop, I hope you find a suitable solution soon, all the best.
This one is ambitious. I am racking my head how to ensure HT comfort and get the fun aspect as well. This ride will be doing Highway Runs regularly. Something on the lines of panaromic sunroof (no glass roof) or removable panels. Like how we have convertible hardtops. Maybe not electrical but manual style.

Interiors I will touch them after I do some trips. There are some good customizations already done. So that should be routine work.

What are good jerry can options for the new Thar and a ladder as well ( aesthetics only). I am yet to see these Mods on the new Thar. Is the split rear window creating a challenge?
Old 14th May 2021, 07:09   #1674
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2155345
VIN is April 2021. Hope some niggles are sorted by now. Odo was 18Kms.
[indent]Overall the quotation came to:
Attachment 2155369
Woot! Woot!!! looks smashing. Looking forward to the delivery experience.

Thanks for the quote, was the insurance bought in-house?

For some reason, I feel very excited for you . May be because, I am too couple of weeks away and in-directly your posts are helping me out in every possible way.
ldk2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:01   #1675
BHPian

Ride is ready to go home. They sanitized the keys before giving them. Overall a low key affair with the lockdown and Corona going around. People were very cooperative all around.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210514-9.41.25-am.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210514-10.33.00-am.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210514-10.33.03-am.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldk2 View Post
Thanks for the quote, was the insurance bought in-house? May be because, I am too couple of weeks away and in-directly your posts are helping me out in every possible way.
VVC guys have been very professional. I like the fact that they did not push to take loan / insurance / accessories from them. I took the Insurance via the dealership only. It has all the features covered and price was comparable to the online quotes as well.

I would rate it one of the better dealership experiences I have had over the years.
indian21r is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 18:12   #1676
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

The parts list is online now, as I checked yesterday on oriparts.

The car seems to have many serviceable parts and the cost of ownership is going to be reasonable despite all the electronic wizardry on board. Kudos to Mahindra for thinking of this too.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 10:45   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
Comrades, I am new to Thar/jeep family.

6. Thanks to my driving skills and immaculate understanding of the height of the car, i have managed to poke a hole on the top of the soft top. The service center wants half of my ancestral property to replace the soft top. Is there any (inexpensive) way to repair it??
Any update on your repair?

If not yet done i suggest waiting for a bit

Tgo has posted a link, and looking there I found this - https://oriparts.com/4/1032/75565/4003473

Part number 1 seems to be the replacement canvas roof - although the list on the same page is not correct.

I'm sure the website would be updated soon, or you can try writing to them
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 10:56   #1678

Quote:
Any update on your repair?

If not yet done i suggest waiting for a bit

Tgo has posted a link, and looking there I found this - https://oriparts.com/4/1032/75565/4003473

Part number 1 seems to be the replacement canvas roof - although the list on the same page is not correct.

I'm sure the website would be updated soon, or you can try writing to them
No updates yet on the niggles being faced in Thar, probably due to the ongoing lockdown. Anyways even i am not putting in any efforts during these times.

However i tried a little DIY and put few old towel shreds (I couldn't find foam) at almost all the places where the roof canopy touches the frame of Thar and I feel the vibrations have substantially reduced. The canopy which used to start flapping at about 65-70 kmph, now starts flapping at around 75-80 kmph that too the noise isn't that harsh. Even at speeds of 100 kmph I can talk to my wife without raising the voice. This improvement looks small in the stats but has made my life a lot more comfortable

Someone has also recommended some sort of sound damping sheets/insulation, about which I have no idea. So once lockdown is lifted I will go and research about that as well.
Old 15th May 2021, 10:59   #1679
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
6. Thanks to my driving skills and immaculate understanding of the height of the car, I have managed to poke a hole on the top of the soft top. The service center wants half of my ancestral property to replace the soft top. Is there any (inexpensive) way to repair it??
Full replacement is going to be expensive. The part costs 95K with its frame mechanism. I am guessing it is so because some parts of the frame are stitched in or its plastics moulded into the fabric.

Cheaper fix would be to go for a patch. I am thinking of the same material as the original fabric with silicone sealant on the inside along the seams that you will stitch-in.

Also do a quick search on youtube for soft/convertible top repairs to begin with.

Quote:
This Link lists the convertible top (CT) assembly with its frame as part no 1.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:30. Reason: Typo
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 13:41   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
abhikb, the below is similar to the tire change I had in mind for my Thar. This is one of the apt tires upgrades.

Getting the tires is a big challenge. From the feedback I am getting stock is non existent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
I’m all set to take delivery this Wednesday at 10:15 AM. I be vibin’ in a couple of days boys!!
VRJ, by an chance were you at the VVC Kondapur , Hyderabad dealership on 14th morning. I saw a Black Thar from Neon motors Vishakhapatnam with temporary plates.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks