Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2021, 16:54   #1681

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Full replacement is going to be expensive.

Cheaper fix would be to go for a patch.
Full replacement seems quite expensive. I only have a small hole. I think i will go for the patch work only. And thanks for the suggestion, about silicon sealant.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:25. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 15th May 2021, 17:04   #1682

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Damping work started today, but we have lockdown from 12pm and the guys working on the car wanted to leave at 11am. So only floor and speakerbox done so far.
All three doors still need to be done.
Hey,
Does damping really improve NVH levels? Does it help in a soft top?
Reason why I am asking is that the pictures you posted seem to suggest that damping was done in your car everywhere including the footwell. Doesn't it block the water drainage holes? These holes help remove the water.
Right now to clean the floor i just use a drain pipe in the luggage portion and all the water along with the dirt moves to the footwell area and slowly drains out from the holes in the footwell area.
Old 15th May 2021, 17:20   #1683
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
And thanks for the suggestion, about silicon sealant.
There are some which can be sprayed onto the fabric after the patch work to make it leak proof.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:33   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
abhikb, the below is similar to the tire change I had in mind for my Thar. This is one of the apt tires upgrades.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=8wnQ...wiiLYWSYHnGqpn

Getting the tires is a big challenge. From the feedback I am getting stock is non existent.
This one seems apt, downsizing benefits at times as many owners have done so in the past also, however I am a stick to the stock kind of person so any mechanical mods is difficult for me to gulp .

But it’s your beauty and anything that makes your ownership experience satisfactory, it should be definitely taken up .
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 21:16   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
This one seems apt, downsizing benefits at times as many owners have done so in the past also
Normally I too stick to stock where possible. But Thar is too juicy to not to modify. And I realized that unless I keep a limit on my budget I will do too many mods to this.

Xenex Madhapur will take the stock 18" Alloys and tires. I have replaced my Scross 1.6 stock with Michelin with them when it was new. Good experience there.

The main issue is getting BF Goodrich tires. They are out of stock everywhere. So I will go and check what others options are there. He mentioned that he has all the Mod possible for Thar. So Monday morning lined up for all the Technical stuff on Thar.

With so many Mods being done for Thar by the various members maybe we can have a master thread which details topic wise Upgrade. With inputs from various experts on the forum, we can get the optimal output for every customization.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 22:08   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,
Does damping really improve NVH levels? Does it help in a soft top?
Reason why I am asking is that the pictures you posted seem to suggest that damping was done in your car everywhere including the footwell. Doesn't it block the water drainage holes? These holes help remove the water.
Right now to clean the floor i just use a drain pipe in the luggage portion and all the water along with the dirt moves to the footwell area and slowly drains out from the holes in the footwell area.
Hey Samanvaya,
My Thar is a hardtop, and yes it helped a ton to reduce NVH levels. But I don't think you'll make a difference with a softtop.
About the water drain holes, you can get the damping sheets cut wherever needed, I got them cut at all the drain holes.
darkpython9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 22:25   #1687

One embarassing query.
When the Thar 2020 was launched, i remember reading somewhere that it has removable doors. Is it really possible, if yes, has anyone tried it?
Removing the doors is one thing. Affixing them back is another. How easy/difficult will removing and reattaching be? Should we try it at home?
Its lockdown here, so I have nothing better to do.
Old 16th May 2021, 23:12   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
One embarassing query.
When the Thar 2020 was launched, i remember reading somewhere that it has removable doors. Is it really possible, if yes, has anyone tried it?
Removing the doors is one thing. Affixing them back is another. How easy/difficult will removing and reattaching be? Should we try it at home?
I received couple of snaps on WhatsApp where owners did remove the doors so it’s pretty much possible as it seems. However I really doubt you will be able to remove and fix the doors back without scratching the paint. So unless the itch to remove the doors is way high, better not to tangle with it.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 09:22   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
One embarassing query.

Found this, may be helpful and please do post photos if you remove them

2himanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 10:27   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone who has booked in month of Oct 2020 and yet to take delivery of their Thar? Or have all the Oct bookings been fulfilled?

Please clarify!

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:26. Reason: Typos.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 18:41   #1691
BHPian

The chance of getting a good rubber for the Thar in 18" or 16" seems miniscule. Looks like I will be living with the stock tires for now. One thing though I did not find them as bad I thought. Should be decent as a starter pack. I will upgrade when I get good tires.
Old 18th May 2021, 14:43   #1692
BHPian

With the amount of booking and waiting periods, his words came true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...... If done correctly, it will certainly see new levels of success never seen before. Let's see!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Prakritij is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:50   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Full replacement seems quite expensive. I only have a small hole. I think i will go for the patch work only. And thanks for the suggestion, about silicon sealant.
A one inch linear tear in my Thar V1's soft top was repaired by seat/cushion-waalah guy for Rs.200. I did have to loosen the top a bit for his work to commence. He basically found out small piece of same material as soft top, cut it in a nice round shape and used adhesive to stick that patch on the tear. Didn't even use any weight to press it. One guy pressed from top of the vehicle while this dude held it from inside the vehicle. The adhesive needed half an hour to dry after which I tightened the top and drove home. Easy peasy.

It was only after I enquired a bit that the adhesive is pretty common one used for carpets, leather, foam etc and various manufacturers make it including Pidilite.

Here is the one that my guy used, which according to him is the best among all: https://www.speb7.com/product_general_purpose.html

I later on got a 50ml tin for Rs. 80 from a furniture shop. The thing is magical and you need to be extremely careful as it starts to grip surfaces almost immediately. If you are a little DIY sort of guy, this option is worth exploring.

After that fix, it rained twice and it didn't leak. I have now switched to hard top but thought I will let you know that such holes/tears can be easily (and cheaply) fixed.

Edit: As Tgo suggested, for added peace of mind, smear black colored silicone sealant on the tear and around the edges of the patch afterwards.

Last edited by amol4184 : 18th May 2021 at 21:04.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 23:01   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakritij View Post
With the amount of booking and waiting periods, his words came true.
I wish Mahindra had realized the potential of the product and given the required support to BD sir when he was designing the Thar a decade back. The 2nd gen Thar has lot many stuff as standard offering which he had wanted to provide in the 1st gen Thar itself. A MM540 design based Jeep with the required power/torque, better suspensions, good braking ability, off road hardware and comfort for the masses would have solidified the Thar brand many years earlier than the present time. Not entrusting the Thar as a brand since its inception has only delayed the demand by 10 years atleast.

If one has the patience & time to read the comments made by BD sir on Teambhp, you would know what he aspired to provide with Thar as a product, I am pretty sure even if 80% of that was given way back in 2010, Thar would have earned a cult status today.
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 23:56   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
... if 80% of that was given way back in 2010, Thar would have earned a cult status today.
There is an extremely huge difference between what Mahindra was in 2010 v/s the present times as an automobile manufacturer in terms of technical expertise of building world-class automobiles, excellent examples being the XUV300 and Marazzo.

This technical expertise and manufacturing finesse would normally take decades to perfect the normal route has been acquired much faster thanks to acquisitions such as Ssanyong.

All that expertise has gone into the 2020 Thar without a doubt. The current Gen Thar has been re-designed grounds-up from scratch which has made it possible to clear the crash tests and towards achieving its form-factor.

The 1st Gen Thar was never a grounds up approach and this would be a limiting factor towards incorporating any of the current-gen features into the vehicle.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:27. Reason: Deleted blank row.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks