Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:49   #1831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
I booked my Thar on 1st May 2021. Diesel Auto.

I'm an NRI and living in UAE. My usage will be very less. 1 month maximum per year and mileage also will be less. So was thinking of changing my booking from diesel to petrol.

What you guys advice?. Shall I stick to diesel or change to petrol auto.
I'm a master mariner who stays at sea for 4 months at one go. Initially I had booked the diesel auto and then had it changed to petrol auto. Would highly recommend getting the petrol for your usage pattern.
Capt.Arun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:51   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
I booked my Thar on 1st May 2021. Diesel Auto.

I'm an NRI and living in UAE. My usage will be very less. 1 month maximum per year and mileage also will be less. So was thinking of changing my booking from diesel to petrol.

What you guys advice?. Shall I stick to diesel or change to petrol auto.
Petrol for the win. You won't have worry about refuelling the Urea Tank and Petrol is a lot silent plus has more power. And since you'll not be using it as a daily driver, in my opinion, it suits your requirements.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 04:33   #1833

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So guys a small update on the BF Goodrich tires. A friend was after me to try 28 PSI or less in the tires. I was a bit apprehensive but then gave in and reduced the pressure from 31 to 28. And what a world of a difference it made! The Jeep now glides over stuff!! And I went a bit further to 26 PSI. This thing is meant to be driven on BFGs at 26 PSI. All the movement etc. Is reduced to negligible. Super super happy with the result and my choice.
Some parting shots of the BFGs.
That's some solid insight you're giving here. Few questions for you:

1) can you specify exactly which BFG model tires these are along with size?

2) anyone in Bangalore have the same setup running on your thar? Would love to drive the car with these tires so I can decide if I want to run the same setup on my thar 2020
Old 5th July 2021, 15:23   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

My Tire pressure sensors have gone a bit ballistic lately. They are always indicating low pressure on one or the other of the tires. Initially I thought the gauge at the fuel station may have been defective and asked all four tires to be filled up to 34 PSI as per their reading, although the recommended pressure is just 32 PSI for the LX Diesel Auto. This caused the ride to get really rough and bumpy, had to drop the pressure back to 32, per the fuel station. The Tiretronics readings seem to be 3-4 PSI below the actual pressure on each tire and one or two tires are always throwing up a low pressure warning, however, this keeps going round robin between the tires each time I start the vehicle.

Interesting thing is, the Thar's sensors also keep track of the spare tire pressure! This is a good feature if it works right. The initial warnings were about this tire and I was pleasantly surprised as most cars do not measure the spare tire. But then, the warnings started appearing for the other tires as well, almost randomly. Left the spare tire at 34 PSI and do not get warnings for that one any more.

Anyone experienced this issue yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th July 2021 at 15:30.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:52   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Tiretronics readings seem to be 3-4 PSI below the actual pressure on each tire and one or two tires are always throwing up a low pressure warning, however, this keeps going round robin between the tires each time I start the vehicle.
Fill it up to 34, park the vehicle overnight and next morning before the tires get a chance to get warm - use a handheld digital air pressure gauge, release air and set them all to say 32 Psi. Turn on the ignition afterwards to see what the TPMS is showing up.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:19   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya !! I have same problem in exact same tyre. It seems the tiretronics readings are measured once every start, so will see how it goes on next start. The tyres didn't need any refilling for 2 months.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:33   #1837

Hello all BHPians,
I am new to this forum and i was going through the official sales figure of Thar which are released every month on various car websites/blogs/tweets. So far the official sale number of Thar by Mahindra by each month is as follows:
Month - Delivered(numbers)
Nov 2020 - 2569
Dec 2020 - 2269
Jan 2021 - 3152
Feb 2021 - 2842
March 2021 - 1912
April 2021 - 3406
May 2021 - 1911
June 2021 - 1065

So all in all, Mahindra has so far delivered less than 20k vehicles as of 1st July 2021(total 9 months of production, October included). Thar also crossed 50k booking in the month of April and i am making an assumption that they have breached 60k by July(very conservative number, in reality should be higher than this).

If we were to follow this model linearly, someone who is booking their vehicles now will theoretically have waiting time of 18-19 months(40k backlogs). Now a case can be made that production has been decreased due to the second wave of Covid (in the month of May and June) and in case there is no third wave production will probably increase. But all in all there should be minimum 40k Thar backlogs that they need to produce and if they were to honour the official waiting period of 1yr/12 months, they need to churn out atleast 3.2-3.3k vehicles each month which is something i am not sure if they can achieve by looking at the above table.

I myself have booked a Thar this January with a promised CPD of September and it's going to be my first car, but now i feel that there is absolutely no way i will getting the vehicle this year

PS: I have made some assumptions about the delivery date and bookings, which could be wrong as well.
Kelvinator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:59   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
Month - Delivered(numbers)
Nov 2020 - 2569
Dec 2020 - 2269
Jan 2021 - 3152
Feb 2021 - 2842
March 2021 - 1912
April 2021 - 3406
May 2021 - 1911
June 2021 - 1065
My heart sank when I saw the June number. This means end of November 2020 bookings will get pushed to November 2021. This wait is killing me.

One can squeeze in another car ownership during the waiting period itself.

The never ending wait continues.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:56   #1839

I believe if Mahindra launches XUV 700 in September/October I still have a better chance of booking it and getting it delivered before I get a Thar
Old 6th July 2021, 15:41   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
But all in all there should be minimum 40k Thar backlogs that they need to produce and if they were to honour the official waiting period of 1yr/12 months, they need to churn out atleast 3.2-3.3k vehicles each month which is something i am not sure if they can achieve by looking at the above table.
Your calculations do not account for multitude of cancellations that would have happened over the course of this year. I had booked one in April and canceled it last month in view of absurd waiting periods and significant ambiguity when it comes to delivery timelines. I personally know 3 other potential buyers who canceled their respective bookings for various reasons, ranging from long waiting period to financial uncertainties in the wake of the pandemic. I would not be surprised if 10-15% of the projected 60k bookings stand canceled as on date; Mahindra, of course, will not reveal this While Mahindra's hoopla around crazy bookings and absurdly long waiting periods might have worked in their favor initially, I feel that somewhere down the line it backfired for them, wherein potential customers not only got tired of the opaqueness but also became aware of niggles being reported by early customers and decided to wait it out for another year or so.

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th July 2021 at 15:45.
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:29   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Not only Mahindra's booking system is terrible, try ordering any thar accessory from their m2all site, months on end waiting and in the meanwhile product is again shown out of stock.
Old 6th July 2021, 20:28   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Tire pressure sensors have gone a bit ballistic lately. They are always indicating low pressure on one or the other of the tires. Initially I thought the gauge at the fuel station may have been defective and asked all four tires to be filled up to 34 PSI as per their reading, although the recommended pressure is just 32 PSI for the LX Diesel Auto. This caused the ride to get really rough and bumpy, had to drop the pressure back to 32, per the fuel station. The Tiretronics readings seem to be 3-4 PSI below the actual pressure on each tire and one or two tires are always throwing up a low pressure warning, however, this keeps going round robin between the tires each time I start the vehicle.

Interesting thing is, the Thar's sensors also keep track of the spare tire pressure! This is a good feature if it works right. The initial warnings were about this tire and I was pleasantly surprised as most cars do not measure the spare tire. But then, the warnings started appearing for the other tires as well, almost randomly. Left the spare tire at 34 PSI and do not get warnings for that one any more.

So today I filled in 34 psi in all 4 tyres and 35 psi in the spare tyre. And then checked with a manual gauge and it showed reading as 31 in all tyres. Wonder where the 3 psi went ??

checked tyretronics and it seems ok for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210706_164037.jpg  

lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 00:51   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
So today I filled in 34 psi in all 4 tyres and 35 psi in the spare tyre. And then checked with a manual gauge and it showed reading as 31 in all tyres. Wonder where the 3 psi went ??

checked tyretronics and it seems ok for now.
I can think of 2 reasons why there would be variance in pressure readings

1. Pressure gauges aren't calibrated
2. tyre temperature at the time of filing air vs checking pressure

Also the lag between manual pressure monitors and tyre sensors based monitors is common. Apparently the signal between the sensors and the display unit is transmitted at defined frequencies (not a real time sync).

on a different note, try 35/32 psi combo for front and rear, I found it to be more comfortable for city driving, compensates for the softer front suspension
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 07:38   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tiretronics system is pretty sophisticated and the algorithm takes into account temperature of the air in the tire as well, besides air pressure. So, as the car runs for a longer period, the tire air temperature goes up significantly (to as much as 40 degrees in my recent long trip after continuous driving for 5 hours). The Tiretronics display shows this - it also expects the pressure to be higher in such situations. Conversely, when I was at Kodaikanal, the individual tire air temperature gauges read 21-23 degrees at start early in the morning after a cold night and correspondingly, the system did not throw warnings, although tire pressure read only 28 psi in one of the tires.

I think the overall algorithm is too sensitive and M&M needs to recalibrate it to allow a wider range of pressures under various tire air temperature readings.
Old 7th July 2021, 22:13   #1845
BHPian

I recently booked a new Thar (Petrol, Automatic, Hard Top) and got informed today by the dealer that the ex showroom prices have increased for Thar and it is quite a big increase ~ 85-90K. Is this news confirmed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks